downtowner fedora any information?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

downtowner fedora any information?

Post by pfmundy »

does anyone know anything about the todd coyle downtowner fedora. looks like a nice hat and only about 99.00

pf
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: downtowner fedora any information?

Post by nicktheguy »

There's alot on it - if you use the search engine you should find it.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I just typed "Coyle's downtowner fedora" in the search engine and it came up with more than enough info you will need on the hat.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well i just bought mine last month --- it is a very nice hat i have posted pictures on another thread you should be able to see them here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40938&start=100 ---i really like my hat alot the height of the crown is a bit startling at first but once you get used to it isnt that bad , my wife still doesnt like it , mainly cause she is used to me wearing my dorfman. but it is a sturdy hat and will last you quite awhile . so for the money it is a good choice , like i said , i'm very happy with mine
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If I had $99 to spend, I might seriously consider the Fed IV Standard. ;)
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

what about David Morgan Adventurer hat. looks nice for about 125.00 and for 20.00 they will "indy bash" it for you. Any thoughts?

pf
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The Akubra Federation looks more Indy than the Adventurer and will cost you less. If you don't confident creasing your own hat, just take a look at BendingOak's new Raiders bash tutorial.

Dave
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It's my understanding that the front brim is larger than 3 inches on the DM 'Indy'. Bashing a Fed is one of the easiest hats to work with, and in less than 5 minutes, you are done. It is also fun to put a touch of individualism into your new fedora. In essence, it becomes more yours. Feel free to pm if you need any pointers. I have a couple of tricks that i like to use to achieve that just right bash. You can use the heels of your hands to bash the front dents as the hatsdirect web site explains:

http://www.hatsdirect.com/hat-info/shaping.html

...its really that easy. ;)
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

where do i find the bending oak tutorial?

thanks
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

3 threads up or so..... read the forum. ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Guys, let's get back on topic and leave the talk about the Downtowner as opposed to turning into another "what hat to buy instead" thread, okay? pfmundy, there are some good existing threads on this hat if you do a search.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The person that started the thread wanted to know about an Akubra. Don't know why talking about Akubra would be a problem if he asked the question. :?

Dave
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

I believe he asked about Todd's new Downtowner fedora. ;) :TOH:

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/HJ%20 ... towner.htm
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

DR Ulloa wrote:The person that started the thread wanted to know about an Akubra. Don't know why talking about Akubra would be a problem if he asked the question. :?

Dave
He must have edited his post?

pfmundy wrote:does anyone know anything about the todd coyle downtowner fedora. looks like a nice hat and only about 99.00

pf
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

pfmundy wrote:what about David Morgan Adventurer hat. looks nice for about 125.00 and for 20.00 they will "indy bash" it for you. Any thoughts?

pf
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

DR Ulloa wrote:
pfmundy wrote:what about David Morgan Adventurer hat. looks nice for about 125.00 and for 20.00 they will "indy bash" it for you. Any thoughts?

pf
Yes it took that turn after this:
Texan Scott wrote:If I had $99 to spend, I might seriously consider the Fed IV Standard. ;)
but started in the first post as a question about the Downtowner.

I think at least one of the other Downtowner threads did the same thing, redirecting to other hats.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'll just be honest about it. If someone new the forum asks how they can best spend $100 on a hat, I'm going to recommend the best hat for the money. Then I can rest assured knowing I've given them the best advice I could. For $100, the Fed Std. is hard to beat. He could have easily said....my mind is made up, I'm REALLY just looking for X. Let's put the decision back in the author's hands, since it is free will. He may have not known about all the choices, nor have handled them. ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Texan Scott wrote:I'll just be honest about it. If someone new the forum asks how they can best spend $100 on a hat, I'm going to recommend the best hat for the money.
That may be, TS, but if the question was about a particular hat and NOT about "how should I spend my money," then the discussions should be about the initial question asked. Besides, there are countless threads where people turn them into a "buy this and not the other" thread, so no wonder it's hard sometimes to find actual information on a product! ;)
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

One of the problems of giving info on the Downtowner is that not many of us have one though. :-k
We could really use some more reviews on this hat.

Regards, Geert
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

im not much in giving reviews but here goes---------------
i bought my downtowner last month
when i got it , it came in a nice looking hat box (picture shall be forthcomning) the hat measures 5 1/2 inches in the crown in the front and 5 1/4 in in the back ---- the brim is 3 1/4 in the front and 2 1/4 on the sides . the color is a dark brown witha dark brown ribbon .the hat also has a leather sweatband and white lining inside the hat, it comes pre-bashed , all in all a very decent looking hat. the hat it self is very sturdy just like the stiffnees when a getting a dorfman pacific hat, (which i also own ) i know that many on this site have paid a few hundred dollars for their hats and i have seen their pictures and have to say i am very envious of the hats , but i don't have alot of money to throw around and basically had to save up for a month to be able to get the Downtowner a hundred dollars may not seem alot to you but when you are a family man sometimes other things come first . so if you don't want to wait months for a hat , ( the downtowner was to me in less than a week) this may be something you might want to get . like i said before, i am pleased with my purchase, and like all of todds costumes purchases i have made i am glad i made it .

oh yeah i forgot ----i got the size of 58cm the 7 1/4. which was a perfect fit to my head so they do have a much more diverse selection of the hat than just medium, large or xlarge like the dorfman.

Last edited by indyclone on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That was a GREAT review!! :clap:

HIGH regards !Michaelson :M: :tup:
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Yeah, great review and excellent point indyclone.

I posted a couple of reviews of this hat in the other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40938&start=50

I don't have much more to add other than I've had mine for a couple of months now too, and it's still holding up. The stiffer felt holds its shape well, and I haven't had any problems with taper or shrinkage after getting it wet. The crown height is a little taller than my Fed III and IV, but for some folks the higher crown looks pretty good.

It's a nice hat for $99.

Scott
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

it is a nice hat. I decided to go with the federation IV. so i guess well see

pf
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

wow I have to say that i didnt read all the banter going back and forth. Didnt mean to cause a ruckus, just that i have two really nice hats already and wanted something a little less expensive that i could wear when i go camping. (I have a nice lee keppler and a barons cliffhanger re dux ) anyway i was just sending out the question to see if anyone could give any info on the coyles downtowner and i beilive that someone posted about the federation and that was when i brought up the David Morgan adventurer. I actually started this thread to get some input as to what the best bang for the buck was. Anyway i guess i will be more careful when i ask questions in the future.

pfmundy
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Tundrarider wrote:Image

Great review, indyclone!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Great lookin' hat, too. Looks perfect on you! ;)

You made me want one! =P~

BTW: Any plans on introducing this fine SOC hat to some Fuller's Earth? :D

Michael :TOH:

nah i think i'm going to let the hat get the wear and tear by itself , you know naturally
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

GOOD man!! :M: :tup:

HIGH regard! Michaelson
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Here are some pics of when I first got it, taken from my old thread. I've had it now for a few months.

I've worn it quite a bit, especially lately as I've been making a fun Indy movie for my youth group. It's held up perfectly, and now that it's a bit dusty and sweaty, it looks even better. I have found that the brim has loosened up quite a bit from handling, but the crown still retains it's stiffness and shape no matter what I've put it through. I'll try to get some recent pics posted soon.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Just thought I'd show you guys what this hat looks like after a few months of steady wear. It has seen a bit of adventure from the Oregon coast to the Cascade mountains...a bit of rain, lots of sand and dirt, and plenty of sweat.

Sorry about my multi-colored beard...I'm a pro Santa, so the beards growing in...

And here it is next to my Akubra Fed IV (Fed's on the left)...

Overall, I'm still very impressed with the hat.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Tundrarider wrote:ImageThat Downtowner is ready to be posted on the "Streets of Cairo" hats display page! Looking good! :TOH: to Todd!!!!

Michael :TOH:
that hat does look good i can't wait til i have some more months under my belt--- it should look awesome by halloween!!!
vaderbreath you remind me of harrison ford from the young indy episode the mystery of the blues.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Michael :TOH:[/quote]
that hat does look good i can't wait til i have some more months under my belt--- it should look awesome by halloween!!!
vaderbreath you remind me of harrison ford from the young indy episode the mystery of the blues.[/quote]

Heh, yea, the beard kinda does this half white, half dark thing until I bleach it all for Christmas. Sadly, I'm only 37! As far as the hat, I'm really enjoying it, and it looks great in the movie we did.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Vaderbreath wrote:Image

...a close likeness to the SoC fedora.
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

so these pics of these hats. that's what the downtowner looks like right out of the box huh. oh i'm new to this website. howdy everyone :TOH:

kwh
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

here is a side by side of the downtowner compared to the dorfman pacific hat

RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I'm happy with my Downtowner: I've had it for well over a month and wear it every day from about the time I get up till I go to bed :)

I've tweaked it about as much over the stove. I tightened the pinch, and I also raised the front down turn so I could see better, but while doing so I've accidentally added some taper to it (maybe not much but I notice). My crown is only 4 1/2 front, 3 1/2 back. I like the tall crown Raiders look, IMO the hat is reminiscent of the Raven Bar fight, or Idol Grab looks.

The only thing I'd change is the ribbon. It's a very nice brown, but it's always brown. I've yet to find a lighting situation where it looks more blackish. I plan to talk to Todd the next time I see him to see if the other ribbon he sells is more SA.

Beyond that, I'm SUPER HAPPY with the hat, and can't say enough kind things about Todd. He's a true fan and a great guy who aims to please.

I can't compare to anything really beyond a Scala, Stacy Adams, and the Dorfmans, to which it excels greatly.

RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Vaderbreath wrote: I have found that the brim has loosened up quite a bit from handling, but the crown still retains it's stiffness and shape no matter what I've put it through.
This happens. Todd told me that tweaking it over the stove too much would deactivate the stiffener, and it did. I was okay with it, but I got OCD about wanting it back to what it was like when I bought it, so I wanted to get the stiffness back.

A bottle of Bickmore Kahl Hat Stiffener purchased off Ebay (after some internet research) worked WONDERS! If anyone wants to stiffen a hat, can't say enough about that product.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i was happy with my downtowner , like i said before , but i dont think i would know how to begin to alter my hat --- i think just old fashion wear and tear is the way to go ,
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Here are a couple of more pictures of my Downtowner after several tweaks to the brim and crown over the last several months.

The biggest change is that I lowered the crown to approx 4 ¾ inches front and back and about 5 ½ inches on the sides.

RaidersBash and Todd are correct. The hat really does lose a lot of its stiffness with repeated steaming, but I actually like the relaxed feel of it now. It’s not cardboard stiff, and not too floppy.

Although I've put a lot of wear and tear on it over the summer, I did add some Fullers Earth to give it a more SOC look.

I really like this hat for the money.

Scott
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Wow Scott. That is a great bash!!!
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Just ordered a Downtowner based on the AWESOME pics and descriptions! Thanks for all the helpful info! I've been looking for a hat with a taller crown than my Fed IV.

Man, gotta love that hat box!
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

The Coyle's Downtowner seems to be a sturdily constructed hat, featuring a lot of style straight out of the box; no additional "tweaking" required!

I'm not sure which is the Coyle's (Todd's) Downtowner topic:

Picts of Todd's Downtowner

Todd's New Downtowner Fedora with Pics

Downtowner Fedora Any Information?

Coyle's Downtowner Fedora

Perhaps we should have a standard Show Us Your Coyle's (Todd's) Downtowner topic; and a similarly titled thread for the Uptowner.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Is it just me or does indyclone's hat have more of a taper compared to Davidd's?

I'm thinking of getting a downtowner...I just want to make sure there's no taper on it :-k
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

ajocampo,

Indyclone's hat is unique. When the hats first came to us, they were very tall and with the wrong shaped block. Indyclone got one of the few that were sold before we began to re-block each hat to the shape you see in everyone else's photos.

Indyclone likes the shape of his tall hat, so he left is as it was.

-Todd
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i have since bought a another downtowner for my 15 yr old son great hat smaller crown , and i am very happy with it , i may have to buy another one for myself with the lower crown !
here are some pics of the hat on my head and side by side shots with the old and new downtowner.......
old is on the left and new is on the right

and on my son's head ( a bit big for him still , but he will grow into for years to come.)

Cannuck_Indy_Fan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cannuck_Indy_Fan »

Darn, I like the old one a lot more, then one on the left also seems to match Todd's website much more, specifically the tight front pinch ...
darkhelmet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by darkhelmet »

Just got mine in the mail yesterday :D

Just one question, does Todd replace the ribbon? I have one of his ribbons from a couple of years ago and it seems darker than the one that came with my Downtowner, which is almost a purple-ish.

If not, does he offer ribbon replacement?
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

no todd does sell a darker ribbon , for about 2 dollars . and you can either replace it yourself or do what i did and take it to a hatter and they can replace it for you , it will most likely rn 15-20 dollars to have them do it , but it will look nice .