Shorty, where's my razor?!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Shorty, where's my razor?!

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Darth Indiana wrote:
i recommend a large Rx pill bottle. drill a hole or two in the lid for ventilation.
just go into the pharmacy and ask for one; the most you'll pay is a few dollars, and odds are they'll give it to you for free.

depending on your razor, you can fit your entire shaving kit in one.

That's a great idea, especially for the old "tech" style razors! :clap:
McFly
Scoundrel

Shorty, where's my (safety) razor?

Post by McFly »

This is thanks to a thread I almost completely derailed. Anyway, a few months ago, a good friend of mine (BinkmeisterRick, actually!) bought me a 1968 Gillette Slim safety razor, and wow! It must be one of the best gifts I've ever been given. Who else here uses a safety razor? Maybe some of you are even brave enough to use a straight razor! I think they're the coolest things; it just feels classy, like you could finish your shave and go out with your fedora on and a tie into the past. You know Indy would never have used a Mach 3 if he had the choice. =;

Oh, and:
Here's a picture of my shaving kit.

Shane
Last edited by McFly on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Shorty, where's my razor?

Post by cm289 »

I'm a safety razor guy. I tend to alternate between the various Gillettes I've picked up from my dad and grandfather- fatboys, super speeds, etc. I use a plastic handled Omega brush, and Proraso eucalyptus/menthol cream.

Here's a WWI vintage one I picked up a while back on ebay-

and what I used today-
McFly
Scoundrel

Re: Shorty, where's my razor?

Post by McFly »

:o Ooh, that's a nice looking set you have there! Love the WWI razor! How does it hold the blades on?

Do you have a blade bank for storing your used blades? I recently found out that if you buy a small tin of Altoids, it makes the perfect size for storing old blades!

Shane
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Shorty, where's my (safety) razor?

Post by cm289 »

The WWI razor is a 3 piece; unscrew the handle from the head, which then separates into 2 pieces. The blade in sandwiched between the top and bottom pieces of the head, and then screwed back onto the handle.

I've been using Feather blades for about 2 years, but I actually like the generic brand from Walgreens, Costco, etc. just fine, too. I don't usually use my metal blade bank because the blades I buy have a bank built into the back of the package- just fill it up and toss the whole thing in trash when you've used all the blades. My old apartment had a slot in the medicine cabinet style bathroom mirror with a slot in the back for used blades- very old school. I like the homemade blank bank idea- pretty cool.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

With apologies to McFly for "taking away" his new thread, I thought it best to merge into this existing thread. :-k

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Ooh! No apologies needed. I didn't see this thread in my search... that I did... :- :lol:

Shane
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Okay, so I read through the thread - does anybody use different types of bowls to lather in than a shaving mug? I've been using my safety razor for a few months but I don't yet have a real shaving mug. So far I've been using a little plastic bowl, but maybe the real mug will stay warmer...? Does it make a big difference, really?

Shane
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I'd like to know that as well :-k

I use a 1965 Gillette flare tip with a boar hair brush from my Art of Shaving kit, and all the kits foams and oils. I haven't used a bowl with soap but I'd be willing to give it a try if just for a warmer shaving cream. Other wise I just run the brush through some scalding water, dab it in the cream and lather away on my face. I know their stuff ain't cheap but is sure lasts a long time. My only complaint is my desire for some hotter suds.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I had been using a ceramic shaving mug from Col. Conk until I dropped it into the sink basin and the mug cracked. :? I have replaced it with a wooden bowl (similar to the one used by Bond in Skyfall). I shave with cold water so keeping the shaving cream warm isn't an issue for me.

When I was trolling about looking for a replacement shaving bowl I did come across this style.

The soap sits in the top bowl and you can fill the bottom with hot water to heat the entire bowl and keep the cream warm.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cold Water?!?!?!? :shock:

What kind of freak are you?!?!? :Dietrich:

:rolling:
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Basil »

Come on! Indy shaves with a straight razor. He doesn't need to carry anything extra. Just a small leather strip to strop the razor. Or he could just use his jacket.

As for the soap and brush, a small shave stick and brush are easy to carry and no bigger than a pill bottle.

A small sample of what indy would use;)
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

*CRIPES*... Now you've done it... Started looking at picking up a vintage razor, and within 2 hours, i'm now obsessed with collecting Gillette adjustibles. I think I'll be starting with a vintage long handle 'Black Beauty' Super Adjustible... *SHEESH*!!! ](*,)

I held out for so long...! :TOH:
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Basil »

Welcome to the razor addiction.

As you can see straight razors are my choice. I had over ten at one point. Now I've got the collection to three daily shavers.

My razors in case anyone is interested.

All three razors are by thiers issard 6/8 size. left to right the handle materials are giraffes bone, rams horn and ivory.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The Dude wrote:Cold Water?!?!?!? :shock:

I know, right? Funny thing is, the reason I shave with cold water is from "Good Morning, Vietnam". During one of the DJ's (not Cronauer) broadcasts he mentions to avoid razor burn, shave with cold water.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The absolute worse cut I ever had in my life in shaving was from using a straight razor. I still have the scar. Never could master the technique due to the sharp angles around my chin. No thanks. =;

They're definitely works of art from their time, and the manufacturers did everything they could to catch the eye of potential buyers.

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Michaelson, I solemnly (or not - I'm chuckling) swear that when I read your post I thought you'd written:

". . .the manufacturers did everything they could to catch the eye of potential butchers."

Maybe a cold water shave is worth a try... but warm water softens your beard! :shock:

Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

McFly wrote:Michaelson, I solemnly (or not - I'm chuckling) swear that when I read your post I thought you'd written:

". . .the manufacturers did everything they could to catch the eye of potential butchers."
Subliminal message there..... :[ ;)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indiana Jeff wrote:

I know, right? Funny thing is, the reason I shave with cold water is from "Good Morning, Vietnam". During one of the DJ's (not Cronauer) broadcasts he mentions to avoid razor burn, shave with cold water.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I shaved with enough cold water while I was in the field in the service. From what I've always heard though, the warm water is supposed to open your pores and give you a closer shave. All, a cold water shave will do will is remind me of sleeping on a cot with my boots on and mixing instant Sanka coffee packets with warm water in my mouth to mix it by a fire in the morning... [-(

Forget that, if I'm roughing it these days it's in a Howard Johnson and a disposable Bic razor... With hot water ;) :lol:
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Basil »

The Dude wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I shaved with enough cold water while I was in the field in the service. From what I've always heard though, the warm water is supposed to open your pores and give you a closer shave. All, a cold water shave will do will is remind me of sleeping on a cot with my boots on and mixing instant Sanka coffee packets with warm water in my mouth to mix it by a fire in the morning... [-(

Forget that, if I'm roughing it these days it's in a Howard Johnson and a disposable Bic razor... With hot water ;) :lol:
It's funny. I was always told cold water would close the pores and make the hair stand up higher.

It's crazy how much contradicting information you get.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe we'lve get a member that's also a dermatologist and they can chime in? ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm more nostalgic than purist when it comes to my shaving mug. I've used an early 1950's Old Spice shaving mug my Dad used, and have been using it since I was 15. I've only seen one other like it in an antique store, and they were asking $45, so I guess the deep OS mugs aren't that easy to find. You see the cheap, shallow glass versions all the time. Mine is heavy porcelin.

Anyway, I use that as well as one of the English 'Dr. Harris' wooden dishes as seen under the straight razor pictured a couple posts above, gifted to me by my sister after she made a trip to London a few years ago.

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Does it help keep your shaving cream / lather warm while you're shaving? I'm looking for something to do that, and I've seen wooden and clay varieties of mug...

Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, it does. Porcelein seems to hold the soap/lather heat MUCH better than glass. It was the preferred mug of the 1800's, but they're pretty expensive now when you find originals.

Regards! Michaelson
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/03/2 ... r-shaving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hardly the "final word" on the topic, but this is what the Art of Manliness says about cold water shaving...I happen to agree that cold water feels better, and for me, gives me a closer shave than with hot...It also feels nicer after for some reason....I think it's one of those things, do what you like, and what works ok for you...Nothing else matters....

I like cold water shaving.... :TOH:
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Basil »

I usually just use warm water. Sort of a in between best of both worlds.

From there I just swirl the brush on the soap in the bowl for a bit and then face lather. I haven't had any issues with lather and always get a good shave.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I just got into shaving with a safety razor about five months ago. I'm currently using a Merkur 180 Long Handled razor, along with a badger brush and a bowl from Van Der Hagen.
Last edited by indy89 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

fifthchamber wrote:http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/03/2 ... r-shaving/

Hardly the "final word" on the topic, but this is what the Art of Manliness says about cold water shaving...I happen to agree that cold water feels better, and for me, gives me a closer shave than with hot...It also feels nicer after for some reason....I think it's one of those things, do what you like, and what works ok for you...Nothing else matters....

I like cold water shaving.... :TOH:
You know, I read this a few days ago and gave the cold shave a try, but I really hated it! Guess it's just not for me... I didn't get as close a shave, and didn't enjoy it as much. But speaking of cold instead of warm - I DO like a quick "James Bond shower!"

Michaelson - thanks for the tip about the porcelain. I'm looking into porcelain shaving mugs / bowls now, and next time I buy shaving supplies, I think I'm going to grab one!

Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

McFly wrote:Michaelson - thanks for the tip about the porcelain. I'm looking into porcelain shaving mugs / bowls now, and next time I buy shaving supplies, I think I'm going to grab one!

Shane
:M: :tup:
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

The Dude wrote: I shaved with enough cold water while I was in the field in the service. From what I've always heard though, the warm water is supposed to open your pores and give you a closer shave. All, a cold water shave will do will is remind me of sleeping on a cot with my boots on and mixing instant Sanka coffee packets with warm water in my mouth to mix it by a fire in the morning... [-(

What????? You had a cot?????!!!! :o
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indiana Blooze wrote:
The Dude wrote: I shaved with enough cold water while I was in the field in the service. From what I've always heard though, the warm water is supposed to open your pores and give you a closer shave. All, a cold water shave will do will is remind me of sleeping on a cot with my boots on and mixing instant Sanka coffee packets with warm water in my mouth to mix it by a fire in the morning... [-(

What????? You had a cot?????!!!! :o
...Air Force ;) :lol: :TOH:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Hey, so what kinds of blades do you guys use? I got a sample pack I'm working through, and I'm curious to hear what you guys like.

I've been using Sharks, blue UK Personnas, and Feathers. Tomorrow I'm moving on to try an Astra, and after that it's going to be a Merkur. After that, I still have to try a Derby!

I think so far my favorite is the Shark, but I keep hearing good things about the Astra, and bad things about the Merkur... :-k

Shane
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Merkur blades seem to work just fine for me. They keep one heck of an edge!
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

I even stumbled across this thread and I really enjoy the pics of your finds. :H: very interesting.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I was with my dad today when he bought this neat little contraption at a gun show for $15- it's a Rhodes 'Kriss Kross' strop. You put the double edged safety blade in the triangular blade holder, turn the crank, and it spins a leather disc under the blade, honing it. It also flips the blade automatically. Methinks I need it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:I was with my dad today when he bought this neat little contraption at a gun show for $15- it's a Rhodes 'Kriss Kross' strop. You put the double edged safety blade in the triangular blade holder, turn the crank, and it spins a leather disc under the blade, honing it. It also flips the blade automatically. Methinks I need it!

Cool! I love gun shows. Always good finds!

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've bene using the micro touch one razor cheopo set with a van der hagen soap set. To be fair, I'm sure there are smoother shaves out there but this is still worlds better than what I was doing with a Mach 3 or whatever it was I used to own.

And talk about an Indy vibe! I have a safety razor that shaves well.... done!

Again, I'm sure there are better razors etc out ther ebut this does the job for me so far.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

If I still shaved I would look into these. But while I'm in this job with no grooming standard, I ain't grooming. :)

Backstagejack I think my cousin actually uses the same setup as you and he swears by it. I might be wrong on the razor being exact but he always talks about the soap.

captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

cm289 wrote:I was with my dad today when he bought this neat little contraption at a gun show for $15- it's a Rhodes 'Kriss Kross' strop. You put the double edged safety blade in the triangular blade holder, turn the crank, and it spins a leather disc under the blade, honing it. It also flips the blade automatically. Methinks I need it!

I say it all the time- it's amazing what one can and does learn on this forum! Fascinating stuff! And for what it's worth, when I shave, it's cold water except for the winter! :H:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Neat find! Given that you can get quality safety razor blades for cheap, I'm not sure this would be a necessary device to use, but the concept is cool. I wonder how well it would actually work?
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I haven't tried it because the leather disc is pretty ragged bit I think if it had new leather it'd work pretty well. It has a friction adjuster, so you can get the blade to have some pressure on it as it spins.

Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

"What razor does Indy use?"
A question I thought about a few years ago which lead me to this thread and eventually picking up a short handle Merkur. And even though this question is most often spurred by TOD it appears the answer might actually be found in LC.

I must confess that I did not start out looking for Indy's razor. I was actually searching for a suitable Indy-esque camera and in the course of that search I stumbled across this thread: Indy Camera

In there Lightning suggested there might be a camera with the back open in the table in Indy's ransacked room. The image link is no longer good but I can only assume it is this screencap. After a fruitless search of cameras that looked similar I took another look at the image, this time on a different monitor, and noticed the lid was lined with purple fabric. "What kind of camera is lined with fabric?" :-k I was puzzled by this for a minute when I noticed the shaving brush nearby and I was struck by the thought that it could be a shaving kit. A quick google search for "vintage shaving kit purple" turned up this:

I've seen them called "Gillette Aristocrat" and also "Gillette Traveller". They're a bit tough to find but they are out there. This thread on badgerandblade.com has a some more information and pictures. (I pulled the above picture from there)

Long story short: it appears that Indy uses a safety razor.

-I.C.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, yeah, you know what a careful fellow he is..... :Plymouth:

Good catch, and EXCELLENT research job! :clap:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Excellent research indeed. :clap:

And...yet another item to be on the search for...

OK, did some noodling around and found the tubes are 3" x 1.25". I assume they are for shaving soap sticks rather than to store a brush. My shaving brush would fit the diameter, but is roughly 4" tall.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Old thread and old question, but I shave with either a safety or straight, depending on how much time I have. That includes the ol' noggin, although the safety does a MUCH quicker and easier job there.
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

Indiana Charles wrote:In there Lightning suggested there might be a camera with the back open in the table in Indy's ransacked room.
Well, I guess I should pop back in. You know, I'd never even noticed the shaving brush on the table before. Best part is I've started wetshaving and collecting shaving stuff in the last few years. No idea I'd come so close to the razor mystery 10 years ago. On DVD the purple looked like a dark reflective metal to me. Just goes to show how much better the Blu-Ray is.
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Michaelson wrote:Good catch, and EXCELLENT research job! :clap:
Indiana Jeff wrote:Excellent research indeed. :clap:
Thank you kindly, gentlemen :TOH:
Lightning wrote:No idea I'd come so close to the razor mystery 10 years ago. On DVD the purple looked like a dark reflective metal to me. Just goes to show how much better the Blu-Ray is.
Indeed the picture quality of the Blu-Ray is fantastic. The screenshot I linked to is courtesy of movie-screencaps.com. Even then it took me a couple days and a different monitor to see the purple color. I wanted to ](*,) when I found a match for it as quickly as I did after spending a couple days scouring through vintage camera pics. It just goes to show that this hobby is a bit like archaeology... you might not find what you began looking for but occasionally you find something else equally as interesting.

-I.C.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Second time I'm bringing this thread up from the depths.

Got some new shaving soaps today via Etsy.

I'm trying the Corsair first.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And while I'm at it.

I found this ad. This piece of Indy's gear is period accurate to 1928.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Had a chance last week to photograph the shaving kit.

1917 Gillette single ring with 1930/40s Ever-Ready brushes, shaving bowl with tortoise lid. Early 80's Old Spice still works.