"It's a date. You eat 'em!"

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Do you like dates?

Marion, "What's this?" (No)
30%
Indy, "It's a date. You eat 'em!" (Yes)
70%

Total votes: 71

Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

"It's a date. You eat 'em!"

Post by Pyroxene »

Just out of curiosity, does anybody carry around dates in their bags. Take them on hiking, trips, etc.. Come across any "bad dates?"

Here is an interesting tid bit I found about them:
Date palms are known to live at least 200 years in their native areas of North Africa and Arabia. The date palm (Phoenix dactylifera) was first imported on a large scale into the U.S. in the 1890's. Large plantings were done in the lower Colorado River desert areas of California and Arizona. The trees thrived and today the U.S. date industry produces more than 60 million pounds of fruit annually. Iraq is the world's largest producer of dates.
copper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by copper »

Hey pyro its been so long ago that I had one I forgot what they taste like.So I guess Im going to go find out. :wink:
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

Dates in bag ?? of course ! heu...i never wear my indy costume so, dates at home !!! yes.... :roll:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Two words....

FRESH DATES Nothing like'em copped up and in Oat-meal in the moring after camping out.[/b]
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

I've never carried dates on a hiking trip or anything, but I do eat them as much as I can. I buy them in the grocery stores whenever I se them. Good idea for a poll by the way!
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Wow, I haven't had a date in awhile, but I can't say that I like 'em. The flavor just doesn't go with me, so I usually don't touch the things. Why carry dates in a bag when you can carry one in a small tray like Indy did? Basically, they're all "bad dates" too me at least.
AZIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AZIndy »

all dates are "bad dates"
TheOther Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheOther Jones »

I like to eat dates, especially on dates...

If this didn't make you laugh, please accept my humble apology.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

AZIndy wrote:all dates are "bad dates"
Not all...I've had some dates where the guy was pleasant to be around and even made me laugh. (ya'll had to know it'd go this direction...)

A whole string talking about fruit...not deleted yet...let me pose this question...Have any of you (single peoples) worn at least 7 pieces of gear (at one time) on a date or worn the whole get-up on a date?
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Nothing wrong with a date in a very hot sun!

Kind regards

Doctor Jones
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:A whole string talking about fruit...not deleted yet...let me pose this question...Have any of you (single peoples) worn at least 7 pieces of gear (at one time) on a date or worn the whole get-up on a date?
Before I married the beautiful and gratuitous Mrs. Renderking, I would try and get away with wearing as much as possible. But when you’re a poor college graduate, you don’t have many options. I would always dress my best for my ladies… and my best was always the Indy-Gear, Fedora, Knock-off leather jacket, Khaki’s, button shirts and “Close-enough” boots.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

7 pieces of gear? I guess I have to ask the old strip poker question: do the shoes count as one piece or two?
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

schwammy wrote:7 pieces of gear? I guess I have to ask the old strip poker question: do the shoes count as one piece or two?
Is that like going through the express lane at the store with a dozen Eggs in one carton?
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

peanuts and raisins for me
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Have any of you (single peoples) worn at least 7 pieces of gear (at one time) on a date or worn the whole get-up on a date?
No, but I proposed to my Fiance in a Keppler Fedora and Flightsuits Expedition! :wink:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Indiana Texas-Girl wrote:
Have any of you (single peoples) worn at least 7 pieces of gear (at one time) on a date or worn the whole get-up on a date?
I don't even know if I own that many pieces of gear. I must say, what would be really cool, is if she showed up with a fedora and jacket.

I recently saw a young lady with a bag strikenly similar to an MK VII. It turned out to be an Israeli paratrooper bag, but it was pretty cool.
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Grendel »

I love dates. At some grocery stores you can buy date and walnut wedges, made of only dates and walnuts compressed into a round, about 1-1/2" this pie and cut into, well, wedges. Very tasty.

As far as gear on a date, I guess it would depend on the date itself. The Wested is as much as I have worn. I don't have a lot of gear really, but in a theoretical sense, I wouldn't go much further than the jacket, pants, shirt, shoes and maybe the fed, weather permitting. The bag and gun, I would leave at home. The whip...again, depends on the date itself ;-)

Cheers,

IG
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

I've never had a date of the fruit variety.

Luke
Marcus Petrius
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Petrius »

I'll probably buy and eat some while wearing gear next week.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:
A whole string talking about fruit...not deleted yet...let me pose this question...Have any of you (single peoples) worn at least 7 pieces of gear (at one time) on a date or worn the whole get-up on a date?
Yes I have. The dates were 10/31/99, 10/31/01, and 10/31/03
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wow, Jess. That many?! :shock: 8-[ :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

I only eat screen accurate dates. :)

The dates you can buy in the stores here are beautiful, but for outback, hiking stuff they aren't really great. We always have them in the fridge though...

Edited for poor grammar.
Last edited by Neolithic on Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Indiana Jess wrote:
What happened in 2002? :-)

-Sergei
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Sergei wrote:
Indiana Jess wrote:
What happened in 2002? :-)

-Sergei
He went as Marion? :lol:

IG
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

I believe Homer Simpson would say something to the effect of:

"Mmmmm.... Poisoned dates..."

;)
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Indiana Grendel wrote:
Sergei wrote: What happened in 2002? :-)

-Sergei
He went as Marion? :lol:

IG
WHO TOLD!!? :wink:
I'm sure Michaelson is scrambling to find a different roommate for the next QM Gathering right about now!
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

I've never had dates, but I'd love to try 'em.

And as per ITG's question, a most resounding yes, if Halloween counts :D

Regards,

Farn
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

So that's why the U.S. Military went into Iraq, to capture their date supply.
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Peacock's Eye wrote:So that's why the U.S. Military went into Iraq, to capture their date supply.
That's right! See, it wasn't a war for oil! :D

IG
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Dates are good stuff! Tasty!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

On the trail, I tend to avoid "explosive" ordnance in the form of food. If you know what I mean. :wink: :-) An emergency run to the neigboring bush is not the most gratifying feeling, especially with company around. Dates have that magical .... never mind.... I tend to eat neutral snacks like; peanuts, cheese, jerky, oranges...

-Sergei
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sergei, I'm sure nobody had factored in the 'entertainment' value on the trail. :shock: :wink: Good point! Regards. Michaelson
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Which reminds me... once a buddy of mine packed some goodies that had a unique reaction. NOT a pretty sight but I bet it was entertaining for my firends I was with.

Dried fruit is great, but please take PLENTY of water!
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Renderking Fisk wrote:Which reminds me... once a buddy of mine packed some goodies that had a unique reaction. NOT a pretty sight but I bet it was entertaining for my firends I was with.

Dried fruit is great, but please take PLENTY of water!
I imagine it wasn't entertaining for the one hiking right behind him. :?

IG
Henry Jones Sr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Henry Jones Sr. »

One more post in favor of dates: the form in which most of us can purchase dates at the market visually reveal a distressed fruit (back to screen-accuracy issues, I guess). Now, Michaelson, what do you think of purchasing already-distressed foods? :wink:

By the way, for something different in the way of recipes actually involving dates (perhaps for your next Indy party...), buy pitted dates (loose, if you can get 'em, bag, or canister). Cut a slit into the date with a sharp paring knife, and stuff the center with a smoked almond. Yummy, sweet and salty/smoky, and good for you (and through you :shock: ). Good hors d'oeuvres for your next showing of the trilogy on DVD! For a main course, consider North African cuisine, perhaps Tagine-style chicken. To drink...Whiskey?

Regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Henry Jones Sr. wrote:... for something different in the way of recipes actually involving dates (perhaps for your next Indy party...), Regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.
That's a great idea.
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Getting back to ITG's twist on the whole "Date / date" issue (nicely done ITG), I've worn the shirt and pants on a date once. To a drive-in movie, no less, and they were showing...

..."Air Force One" with Harrison Ford! No joke. Actually it was a double feature, "Air Force One" and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".

Come to think of it, I had the jacket too because it got a little chilly that night and I gave to my date to wear.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I'd like to find a screen-accurate date like the one Sallah catches, or the one Indy hands Marion in the Market Place. Does anyone have a good quality screen grab, so I can find a date with the proper ridges and colour???? Does anyone have the proper dimensions of the 'Hero Date'? I can't find it in the Lucasfilm Archive Book.

:lol: :lol:
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Indiana Gater wrote:I'd like to find a screen-accurate date like the one Sallah catches, or the one Indy hands Marion in the Market Place. Does anyone have a good quality screen grab, so I can find a date with the proper ridges and colour???? Does anyone have the proper dimensions of the 'Hero Date'? I can't find it in the Lucasfilm Archive Book.
Now that's an enthusiast!

IG
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Indiana Grendel wrote:
Indiana Gater wrote:I'd like to find a screen-accurate date like the one Sallah catches, or the one Indy hands Marion in the Market Place. Does anyone have a good quality screen grab, so I can find a date with the proper ridges and colour???? Does anyone have the proper dimensions of the 'Hero Date'? I can't find it in the Lucasfilm Archive Book.
Now that's an enthusiast!

IG
Just don't eat it! :shock:

Indy N. :wink:
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Just don't eat it!
Oh no!! I'd go to Michaels and get a special glass case for it, and get Things Engraved to make a nice plaque for it. Something like:

Date (replica)
As seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark

Maybe if I can get a good screen cap, I can print and laminate it and put it behind the display case.

Is there a special laquer made to preserve fruit in a glass case? I'd have a lightbulb in there, too, so the heat from the bulb can't affect the preservation of the fruit.

You can have your MK Idols and Magnoli Diaries..me, I'll be in search of THE most screen accurate date EVER!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
JrZyBud
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JrZyBud »

Sometimes I wonder about you guys . . .

But to join in the fun! I only own two pieces of gear and Ive only managed to get one out on a date which was my Wested Raiders, I find that with a nice pair of dress pants and a button down shirt its quite a nice look. When I get my EC Indy whip I think I'll leave that at home. And as far as real dates go, cant stand the things . . . Indyish or not. Just my 2 cents. Oh and I'd like to point out that I just officially killed this thread, cause every time I post in one, no one ever posts after me. Am I like the evil thread killer or something? Does nobody like me?! Oooooooh the shame!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

JrZyBud wrote:
no one ever posts after me.
I couldn't leave that one unanswered!
Does nobody like me?
I'm sure it's nothing personal. :lol:
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Actually, I've got recipe for holiday fruitcake cookies with dates in them that's pretty darned tasty....
:shock:
8-[
[masculine voice] Of course I always do my baking in full Indy gear! As a matter of fact, I whip my eggs with a David Morgan whip and stir my cookie dough with the staff of Ra!(Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket... 8-[ )
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

As far as the first type of dates (fruit), I love 'em. I never have taken them out on a trail, I have only eaten them at home. Now, for the second type of date, I'm married and on a date free diet!
Cabinetman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cabinetman »

The best dates are Bard Valley California, Medjool whole fresh dates. On the package, "Unquestionably the Best." I tell you, it is like eating candy. They are easily bigger than the "Raiders" variety, and do have pits. They're distributed by Western Date Ranches of Yuma, AZ. They have a website, www.medjooldates.com. An 8 oz. container at the grocer's is around $3.20, I think. It's no deal, but they are great.

As far as excitement on the camping trail goes, I actually was hoping for a little boost by these babies, but to no avail. Then again, they are "whole fresh" not dried like other "trail mix". It's not a prune, mind you. But really, you don't want more than one ore two at a time given their size, "meatiness" and sweetness.

But I don't carry them with me anywhere, gear or no gear.