US Wings Legend sizing

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

yossar1an
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

US Wings Legend sizing

Post by yossar1an »

Hi, I know the above jacket has been discussed at length including various discussion about sizing but, try as I might, I can't seem to find what I'm after so I thought I'd pose the question.

Is anyone able to give me the measurements of the Legend from arm pit to arm pit (ie width across the front), sleeve and back length in Medium and Large (noting whether it is a regular or a long).

I've asked US Wings direct but "they don't have this information" and I'm not from the US so contacting them via phone is problematic at best.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: US Wings Legend sizing

Post by Kevin Anderson »

US Wings don't have the measurements of their own jackets? How odd. :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

This L antique cow Legend measures: 27" pits, 25 1/2" sleeves, 25 1/4 back length. I will mention that the USW is constructed a bit differently across the pits, as the seams are toward the back porton of the jacket, instead of on the sides. If the pit seams were on the true sides of the jacket, then that measurement would have been around 25".
yossar1an
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by yossar1an »

Kevin Anderson wrote:US Wings don't have the measurements of their own jackets? How odd. :-k
I couldn't agree more. In addition, they are in stock so you would have though some one could go and measure one! I'm assuming the people answering emails are located in a vastly different place to those making/shipping the stock!
yossar1an
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by yossar1an »

Texan Scott wrote:This L antique cow Legend measures: 27" pits, 25 1/2" sleeves, 25 1/4 back length. I will mention that the USW is constructed a bit differently across the pits, as the seams are toward the back porton of the jacket, instead of on the sides. If the pit seams were on the true sides of the jacket, then that measurement would have been around 25".
Thanks, I'm a 42R in a jacket coat so I'm thinking the large is the go.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I believe the Legends are sized differently depending on if the jacket is an import or US made.
The US made jackets are supposed to be slimmer fitting than the imports.

So, before you order, you might want to double check.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I wear a 42R jacket and tried the medium and felt like a stuffed sausage. I exchanged it for a large and it fits great.

These are the measurement I took off the two Bison Legends I had in hand. All measurements are in inches.

Medium, Large
Windflap 22, 23
Pit to Pit 21, 23
Bottom Hem 20, 22
Shoulder 6, 7
Back Length 25, 26
Sleeve 25, 25
Cuff 5, 6

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Not trying to hijack your thread - but I too had a question about US Wing's sizing in general if I could ask here please...

I've been wanting a US Wings jacket for some time now (preferably a distressed Last Crusade cowhide), and I've never owned one but I'm certainly checking it out. But anyway, my question is this: On their 'Size Conversion Charts,' it stated that a size small is ideal for a size 36 men's who weigh approximately 110-130 lbs. And, since I weigh exactly 135 lbs. I thought that this size would be a lil' too small/tight for me so the only solution would be to bump my possible order up to a medium - no big deal - since this chart read that a medium size 38 fits one within 130-140 lbs. According to this chart specifically, I would ideally take a size 38.

However, upon viewing the 'Indy-Style Hero jacket' offerings, I noticed that a size small indicated 135- 160 lbs., which is what I feel would be a better fitting range for me rather than a medium - for a medium would be too large on me (since this chart indicates a medium would be at a surprisingly 160-175 lbs., lol). But, in ordering a jacket from US Wings, how can a customer know what to order if they have two different sizing charts saying two different things in calculating one's weight to see where that individual may fall into?

I'm unable to copy the 'Size Conversion Chart' on here to show a comparison of what I'm talking about unfortunately, but here is the link for the 'Hero' jacket to show the size ranges per weight: http://www.uswings.com/ijhero.asp#IJACOW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With this discussion in mind, I'm assuming that their Indy jackets, in general, tend to run on the larger side in comparison to their typical non-Indy jackets...?

Thank you for any replies and clarification,
Aaron
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sadly it can be a real carp shoot with the US Wings sizing in regard to their Indy jackets. Each line runs a little differently and import vs. US made seem to have variations as well. My suggestion is consider what size you normally wear in jackets and go with that size. I generally wear a large in jackets, but talked myself into ordering the medium and the second I put it on I knew it had to go back. #-o When I put on the large I knew I had a keeper.

Wings has a good return policy so if the fit isn't to your liking you can always exchange up or down. Takes a little more time and postage, but I figure that's a cost of shopping by mailorder.

Not sure where in PA you are, but it could be worth a drive up to Hudson, OH to try jackets on in person.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

US Wings Legend sizing

Post by 61ButteMT »

I have four USW jackets. The G1 is "military" fit. Very slim. Almost too small.
A2 is "normal" fit. Pretty true to size, but close to the G1 in it's smaller than others with same tag size.
Indy Hero cow is indeed as the site says "runs large". What I would consider more true to others I own.
Every jacket is different. Weight is not that important. It's the numbers. Measure a jacket you own and like the fit of. Then get as many numbers from owners here and elsewhere. Or, order one and if it doesn't fit, exchange appropriately.
I've been lucky as all mine worked out OK. All 3XL. Although the Indy would probably be good in a 2XL Long as well.
Good luck. Some of the jackets @ $195 are almost gone.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

US Wings Legend sizing

Post by 61ButteMT »

Just a data point on my size. I'm 6'- 4", 235 and not remotely fat or round. Just big. So I have no issue with finding jackets that fit, assuming makers make big sizes. Others I own are custom made, and cost 4-5x as much. So USW is a bargain.
yossar1an
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

US Wings Legend sizing

Post by yossar1an »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I wear a 42R jacket and tried the medium and felt like a stuffed sausage. I exchanged it for a large and it fits great.

These are the measurement I took off the two Bison Legends I had in hand. All measurements are in inches.

Medium, Large
Windflap 22, 23
Pit to Pit 21, 23
Bottom Hem 20, 22
Shoulder 6, 7
Back Length 25, 26
Sleeve 25, 25
Cuff 5, 6

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

Thanks. Having regard to what everyone is saying about import vs us made, can I ask from which these measurements are taken?

Many thanks
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sorry, should have been more clear. All the Bison jackets are US made.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

both import and US made are quality jackets and worth the money. Can't go wrong.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks gents for the replies and guidance :) . One last question if I could please, I realize that both the US and import made jackets are both quality pieces. Just out of curiosity - since there is a price difference between the two, is there another reason why one is cheaper than the other (other than one not being made in the USA)? It just seems as if there is 'something' - another reason why one is cheaper than the other. Seeing how US Wings build jackets to military specs, are the import jackets made not so? Is that the factor?

Thanks again!
Aaron
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Military specs?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I've ordered both. I first ordered a Legend imported antique cow Legend. for $195, it is a quality jacket and looks the part right out of the box. The leather is similiar to the antique HERO jackets that they made before. The difference was that the HERO jackets are more of a relaxed fit, and have some of the features in common wit hthe LC jacket, ie the sleeve seams and yoke seam lines up, some have the snap on the storm flap, etc., while the Legend is a trimmer cut.

Later, I ordered a US (Schott) made distressed cowhide jacket, and in terms of materials, type of leather used, it is a better quality jacket than the USW Hero or Legend import. I had ordered the US made Legend in a L, and it was a bit too tight, did not fit exactly right, so I returned it. However, if someone is a 42 and looking for a perfect fit, and can afford the extra cost, I'd say don't hesitate to get the US made jacket. It truely is a better quality jacket, and if you are a 40-42, it would be the best fit.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

Quite simple. American workers make 10x what Pakistani workers make. They are likely more skilled as well. Schott made. 'nuff said.
Some of the US made jackets (bison, striated lamb) are better hides.
If you want a sale item, I'd hurry. Some are discontinued, some limited sizes.
Find your budget/size and act quickly.
Else you be left with few choices. Or have to choose another brand.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Even the CS rep will say there is no difference, but there is a difference, in terms of materials and quality construction. It is an upgrade. You get what you pay for. I believe that the cow leather of the US made jacket is sourced from the same factory as the leather used to make the CS screen jacket.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I normally wear a 42L. The Large/Long fits me perfectly. If you're looking at the US made jacket, I'd look somewhere else. For the money you're paying, I think it'd be better to go with a quality custom made jacket like Magnoli or something. US Wings has a reputation of screwing up the customers order, blaming the customer for the screw up, charging twice as much as they were supposed to, and accusing customers of hating the troops serving overseas. That said, the imported jacket was a bargain.
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Mark Brody wrote:I normally wear a 42L. The Large/Long fits me perfectly. If you're looking at the US made jacket, I'd look somewhere else. For the money you're paying, I think it'd be better to go with a quality custom made jacket like Magnoli or something. US Wings has a reputation of screwing up the customers order, blaming the customer for the screw up, charging twice as much as they were supposed to, and accusing customers of hating the troops serving overseas. That said, the imported jacket was a bargain.
Also Schott jackets are made by SEIU thugs.
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

Mark Brody wrote: US Wings has a reputation of screwing up the customers order, blaming the customer for the screw up, charging twice as much as they were supposed to, and accusing customers of hating the troops serving overseas. That said, the imported jacket was a bargain.
Took the words right outta my mouth.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

So, being new here, why did the thread on USW Texas Steerhide jackets get nuked?
I see at least three guys here have their pics on the USW site.
Just a nOOb inquiring... Seems like odd things surround this business.
They do have an A+ rating at BBB, FWIW.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'd asked to have it deleted, because we don't know if it was a bona fide "new offering" of jackets or if the same offering of cowhide jackets were re-named.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

61ButteMT wrote:They do have an A+ rating at BBB, FWIW.
Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're great. I had the same experience mentioned above - and was insulted & "helpfully" informed that I thought I was more important than the military because I came on here after a week of not receiving any email responses whatsoever, trying to find a good way to contact them other than the phone (I have a few reasons for leaving phones as a last resort, but that's neither here nor there). They did eventually get around to getting me a return number and get me my refund. So, the experience was bad enough that I'd never give them my money again, but there's nothing there that could really be reported to the BBB. I mean, I think they have better things to do than deal with companies insulting their customers and generally inconveniencing them.

Having said that, that's just my experience, and if I hadn't had it I'd be jumping on that $315 US made cowhide jacket right now, because their jackets ARE really dang nice. Ah well.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

Thank you gents. :TOH:
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

kwad wrote:I believe the Legends are sized differently depending on if the jacket is an import or US made.
The US made jackets are supposed to be slimmer fitting than the imports.

So, before you order, you might want to double check.
Yes You are right on 100 %.. The US Made Legends are a slimmer fitting jacket per request of the Fans and the imports are made with a little extra room in mind!I am sorry we do not have extra people that can give out specs over the phones due to the fact we are up to our ears filling orders and supplying new customers world wide! As a foot note this is the first time I have gone online in months because of the work I have been doing for Our Military and Vets. Bottom line.. Yes I care about COW but can only do so much and the only way I can be reached is through my e-mail and may take some time to get back to my Friends But I am still here and have always been here.
I just put on the Best Vietnam Rally ever and it was 100 % Free and paid for 100 % by US Wings Inc. Now that to me was Important... Visit my web site and you will see what I mean...

I have been reading the COW Forum about the USA Made Legend Striated Lamb and I really like what I see and I am going to offer a COW row back on that jacket to $ 295.00 plus Shipping for the rest of June.. Yes I read the Forum and know this will help the Hobby. All the Fans have to do on the order form is write Roll back.. My people will do the rest.

Sarge
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I'll say this about the Legend jackets. The US made are a very neat-cut fit...very true to size.

I wear a 40R and my medium fits like it was made for me.

That's all I have to offer from personal experience.

Cheers!
Indydawg
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

Can anyone provide the sleeve length of a regular XL in the Legend? This would be greatly appreciated.
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Captain D wrote:Thanks gents for the replies and guidance :) . One last question if I could please, I realize that both the US and import made jackets are both quality pieces. Just out of curiosity - since there is a price difference between the two, is there another reason why one is cheaper than the other (other than one not being made in the USA)? It just seems as if there is 'something' - another reason why one is cheaper than the other. Seeing how US Wings build jackets to military specs, are the import jackets made not so? Is that the factor?

Thanks again!
Aaron
That is a very good question and I will answer it! All of My US Made Jackets are 100 % union made and 100 % made in the USA! The price of our Imports are cheaper to make and I franly pass that on to my customers! Most others do not pass that on to their customers.. I do have the patterns changed for a reason so we can tell them apart! I think both are quality for the money! We all know these are hard times and most are also aware Who I am and what I am... Meaning as the owner I do what I can when I can to help everyone I can! I also know I cannot make every COW member happy But with that said we will try within reason.

Sarge
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

US Wings Legend sizing

Post by 61ButteMT »

Sarge is the only guy that's tried to get me NOT to buy a jacket!
The reason being he thought the HH A2 would be too hot for California. How's that for honesty?
In regards to sizes, I have four USW jackets. I'm a 3xl or 52L. The options are less in that size, but the imports are a tad smaller than US (Schott) jackets which I own.
I have two friends I told to order the Centennial G1 a size up. They didn't listen and both had to exchange later.
My cow import Indy 3xl is bigger than any of the others. Style of the jacket I believe.
For the money, I think they're worth it. Good service too. Fast shipping.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Feeling worried after reading this thread. I am waiting on a collectors antique cow in Medium as that was what the SGT told me to buy after I emailed measurements. Think I made a mistake now trusting that advice. Will see when jacket arrives. Their email customer service is very poor I have to say. Also no tracker for what was a very expensive international shipping charge ( much more than any other supplier and those came with tracking). Anyone know what refund policy us for International , I can't find it in their site.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Did you ever get your Wings jacket CRB? I'm curious to know your thoughts on the fit.
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

Hello,

Sizing can be tricky. To ensure a good fit for the 30th Anniversary jacket I recently pre-ordered, I emailed my measurements to US Wings and asked for their recommendation of size. 6’1”, 210#, 15.5 neck, 43” chest, 42” waist, and 33” sleeve (measured from back of neck) came back order an Extra Large.

Cheers,
W-W
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Kevin Anderson wrote:Did you ever get your Wings jacket CRB? I'm curious to know your thoughts on the fit.
Yep it turned up a couple of days ago, was stuck in customs for ages. The fit I'm happy to report is perfect for the style of jacket I'm after. I know some people would prefer the trimmer fit of the the Raiders jacket, but I wasn't after that with this one. I got size Medium, here's a photo of the fit:

Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Very nice. Very 'Crystal Skull'.