What Indy jacket is the best value for the money?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

What Indy jacket is the best value for the money?

Post by Texan Scott »

Faced with many good choices, which one would it be?

Best = your opinion. ;)

Magnoli
TNO
Todd's
US Wings
Wested
Leather Concessionaires
G&B
IJ label (aiplane logo) USW/Cooper
Disney
old Keppler's jacket
Holt
Craftsman

Re: What Indy jacket is the best value for the money?

Post by Holt »

I imagine the G&B.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

It's also going to depend where you live. In the UK when ordering from the states not only are you going to get hit with a larger shipping bill, but also heavy import tax. These kind of things make a massive difference.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Todds.....hands down as far as best value, not to mention one of the most..if not, THE most SA jacket around.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Define 'best value for the money'? :-k

You asking best all around, only 'go to' jacket in your collection that will last long enough to hand down to the grandkids? The one you say 'my precious' to every time you reach for it? ;)

or, is it the best value for one time use at, say, a convention where details are great, but cost must be kept on the low side?

or, best value for historical provenance to a collector, but not necessarily a 'wearer' of said jacket?....

or......

You get the idea.

What criteria are you looking for? The field is wide, long, and extremely varied.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Entirely subjective. What IJ jacket do you consider to be the best 'all around' for the money? Some may place an emphasis on look, quality, price, fit, wearability, accuracy, real world, etc. It is entirely your opinion.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

IMO Todd's gets my vote.
Rick Deckard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rick Deckard »

To me best all around for the money implies value, so I'd have to say my US Wings Antiqued Hero. Has a nice LC vibe (especially now that I applied a coat of Lexol and it darkened a good bit), was only $195 with free shipping (at the time) and is made out of cowhide, which is quite durable. Also appears to have a high thread count (stiching close together and tight).

Best all around SA jacket for the money, Todd's for Raiders and I'd have to say Wested for LC...provided you know what you're getting vis-a-vis the pocket size and the collar and pocket flap shapes.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Gotta agree the Wings Antiqued Cowhide was probably the best jacket for the money at $195 when I bought it. Not sure what it goes for now, but for that price, it is a GREAT jacket and I wear it whenever I can.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Well, I've got 2 jackets: the G&B Expedition in Goatskin, and the US Wings Hero in antique cowhide. Out of those two?

The G&B Expedition in Goatskin is the best value for its $488 price...

And the US Wings Hero in antique cowhide is the best value for its $195 price.

;)

I.e., I wanted different things from each jacket, and each was the best value for its price IMHO.

:TOH: ,
NS
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

That's a toughy. I feel compelled to say Magnoli, but with those you get what you pay for. In other words, they are expensive but worth the price.

However, to me "best value for the money" has to include getting more than you pay for (if it occurs). A "bargin." So, while there are both more SA jackets and higher quality jackets on the list, I have to say US Wings. They are very good jackets, perhaps even great, and tend to cost less than other jackets of similar quality. To me, you are getting the most snd best product, dollar-for-dollar. Must be why I have so many.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The best value has to be a goatskin jacket made with good stitching. That will last the rest of your life.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Best looking for the money? I say Todd's.
However, best quality for the money has to go to Wings.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Todd's as in Todd's, or Todd's as in Todd's? :P
tmurph
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tmurph »

When I consider the price, the quality I got at that price and how good the jacket looks on me. I have to pick todds over wested g&b and us wings.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

My personal favorite is my USW striated (or whatever it's called now) lamb after the wash. It has the look I want and the heft I like. :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Tundrarider wrote:
Rundquist wrote:The best value has to be a goatskin jacket made with good stitching. That will last the rest of your life.
Sounds like the Expedition. :H: Not to mention, the Expedition's stitching is guaranteed for life.

Michael :TOH:
...as are the snaps and zipper. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

The Expo, without question. My version of value is a jacket that is American made, built to last, fairly accurate, goatskin and light. Ticks all boxes.
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

Well put CM. I agree with all that was said.
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

wested washed goat all day long for me. top jacket at a great price and no import duty - yay!
Also this is where it all started in terms of raiders jackets so there is some history there too.

Only my opinion of course as i also have the wolverine from wested which is excellent!

Mk
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

In terms of reproducing the look of the Raiders jacket, and undoubtedly making a low cost Indy jacket for the budget conscious, I give the nod to Todd Coyle.

I believe that the spirit of adventure that these movies exude in the desperate struggle of the underdog against his adversaries, of nothing held back, of guts and blood, dust and sweat. The jacket that best captures the throwback vertues of quality in American industry, now and of yesteryear, is consolidated in ONE jacket. The best-all around Indy jacket is the G&B Expedition in goatskin. In my opinion, this is the pinacle.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Todd's jacket! :TOH:
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

That's interesting I was going to ask the same question myself!

What am I looking for?

A Raiders jacket. NOT striated, I am not going to go to conventions so I am really looking for a real jacket that I can wear often and it won't break down in two months. I am not planning on being rough with it, but there is a difference between a costume and an actual garment...

Also, I'm 6'4" - 245 lbs, no real belly but rather large in the shoulder and deep of chest, with arms to go with the rest, so it needs to fit without looking like I'm wearing a bag of potatoes.

From what I've read, it seems Todd's is a good all-around jacket, and Magnoli for high-end quality, and US Wings somewhere in the middle (but they have striated leather so...).

Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch!

Franco

PS-I'm usually found on the bullwhip section...
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Thanks for your input!

Franco
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Hi, CD. Todd has already answered your question, but just for kicks, what do you see in the jacket from this cover:

or maybe this still?

Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Obviously not the same thing as you. I have no idea...
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Rundquist wrote:The best value has to be a goatskin jacket made with good stitching. That will last the rest of your life.
So, essentially a G & B. ;)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Texan Scott wrote:Hi, CD. Todd has already answered your question, but just for kicks, what do you see in the jacket from this cover:

or maybe this still?

I see a baggy/loose fitting, off-the-shoulder leather windbreaker... :-k

Looks like a Todd's Standard (or maybe even a Bantu) to me... :H:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That's sort of what I was driving at, but to some degree it is based on a viewer's own interpretation, and what he/she sees into the jacket. I mean, I look at the WoS cobra pic and I see Todd's Std. all over, but another member might see something entirely different into it, and choose a certain jacket accordingly. Just wondered what your interpretation was, CD? There was no right/wrong answer to the question, more a POV. ;)
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Ah I see what you're getting at.

Yes, I also see a baggy jacket lightweight with no striations in the leather...

Seems Todd's regular would be too tight in the shoulders so I may have to go into a custom job...

Thank you very much for the advice,
Regards,

Franco
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Franco,

I've had a Todd's and a G&B. Living in Montreal you might want to think about what seasons you'll want to wear the jacket. Todd's is great, light, comfortable, and if you want something that's basically a windbreaker it's a great choice. If you want something that you can wear most of the year up here in the Great White North, then the G&B is the better option IMO.

LJ
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

I've got a Coyle that's a couple of years old and just recently bought a Bantu Wind. Believe me, the Bantu Wind if THE jacket. Great value, great fit, great leather, and even better after the cold water wash and tumble dry on LOW. Ajacket that's meant to be lived in.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Oh I learned a long time ago that leather is not made for Canadian winters (nor Nepalese ones I'm guessing...), unless of course it's sheep skin with the wool still on (like the old bomber jackets). No, I only wear leather in spring and fall. The rest of the year is either too hot or too cold.

I spoke to the folks at Todd's and they're out of my size (ha, story of my life), but will let me know when more come in.

Thanks again for all your input guys; I really appreciate it :-)
Cheers,

Franco
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote: She's 11 years old and she's still good as new - Michaelson can attest.
:M: :tup:
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Thanks for sharing that it definitely gives me something to think about now...
Regards,

Franco
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

So many good choices I really think it would be hard to go completely wrong.

One thing I've learned since getting hooked on jackets is the value of trying them on in person. There are just too many variables and slight variations between jackets that are labeled the same size. Knowing what I know now I would have traveled to CA and had Big Tony personally measure me and discuss what I wanted in a Raiders jacket while he was still with us : ( The best advice I know to give is to go with a source that either allows you to go there and try on or is willing to let you try on a sample jacket or at the very least allows for returns. $20 in return shipping is a small price to pay to get a great fitting jacket. The hard part is turning loose of a jacket you've been waiting months for but in my experience if there is any doubt eventually you'll reach a point where you'll be buying another jacket- #### even if there are doubts you'll probably be buying another jacket LOL

I've never owned or handled a G&B but if I was of a mind set of buying just one jacket and letting it age naturally I'd probably call on them first.

I really like the USA Wings Striated Lamb Legend especially at the $295 COW rollback price through June. Being manufactured by the same folks that manufacture Schott you know they're well built. Given my age and the amount of wear I'll give my jacket it should outlast me.

I don't know why I've never picked up a Todd's jacket. I guess I just can't get over the low price. They sure seem to be about as close to representing the gross characteristics of the screen used Raiders jacket. I guess I'm one of the few crazies that grew up picturing the Raiders jacket as this thick beefy bad ### garment when the reality is it's more of a cheap thin broken down sorry thing on it's last leg.

The first thing one has to reconcile is the leather type. I know a lot of people swear by goat and I'll admit that goat is an awesome skin however something about it just doesn't work for me when used in an Indy jacket- perhaps if I had the ability to hand select a pre distressed hides I could find some suitable but left to chance I would fear the pebbly nature would be too prevalent. Cowhide seems to be a more practical choice but it seems to vary a lot so you have to really pay attention to find a style that suits you. Lamb is probably the best replication of the Raiders look but not for those leading more adventurous lives. Exotic hides like horse are intriguing but really most likely overkill for my level of adventuring. My preference is dark lamb with a high degree of texture and blemishes like my Wings SL.

The next thing to reconcile is what details in the pattern are most important. For me it's important that the basic configuration of the jacket should be grossly correct ruling out Wested and anything from Wings other than the Legend. I can let a few things slide like the drape or exact collar shape etc... you'd go crazy trying to match details exactly ; )

The deciding factors would be fit and price. A jacket that doesn't it right isn't worth much and a perfect jacket that you can't afford will only haunt you in your dreams. For me I probably shouldn't be buying any more jackets but I can generally spring a few hundred bucks without feeling too much pain and I'd probably even go 4 figures if I could get the holy grail of jackets.

Right now I'm satisfied with the value of my Wings SL USA Legend but if the opportunity presented itself I could see a G&B in my future though my hesitation would be if I could find one with adequate character. My Nowak CS is by far the best value historically but sadly those belong to the past now and sadly not a Raiders.
Sweet Chariot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sweet Chariot »

Hey Indy Jacket Fans,

What do you think is the best choice for:
- a USA made/available jacket (i.e. non-Wested)
- SA is not important
- Needs to be tough for outdoors use (hiking, camping) but also for casual wear around town.
- Want lightweight to medium weight for spring/fall/winter in a Seattle-like climate (Vancouver).

I love the color and distressing of the US Wings Collectors Edition Vintage Cowhide, and have read good things about it. But have read even more good things about the G&B Goat and Lamb, but am not a fan of the extremely dark color or glossiness of the finish in photos. Maybe that's the problem that photos can only show so much... Both are close in $ ($399 vs. $488 G&B goat and $528 G&B lamb).

Don't have the $ for more than 1, so want to make 1 good choice.

-Cheers
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Sounds like for your taste, you may want to look at a USW naked hide, ie cow? A heavily dyed leather is not everyone's game, but I would still say that if you can get around the dark dye, G&B goat is the way to go all day long.
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

Sweet Chariot wrote:Hey Indy Jacket Fans,

What do you think is the best choice for:
- a USA made/available jacket (i.e. non-Wested)
- SA is not important
- Needs to be tough for outdoors use (hiking, camping) but also for casual wear around town.
- Want lightweight to medium weight for spring/fall/winter in a Seattle-like climate (Vancouver).

I love the color and distressing of the US Wings Collectors Edition Vintage Cowhide, and have read good things about it. But have read even more good things about the G&B Goat and Lamb, but am not a fan of the extremely dark color or glossiness of the finish in photos. Maybe that's the problem that photos can only show so much... Both are close in $ ($399 vs. $488 G&B goat and $528 G&B lamb).

Don't have the $ for more than 1, so want to make 1 good choice.

-Cheers
In Vancover I'd go with horsehide to offer more protection from the hockey riots. :rolling:

The Wings would be a fine choice but I believe the G&B goat would be what I'd say would best suit you. They offer their jackets in numerical sizes meaning you'll get a more customized fit. Goat is my favorite for cool rainy days but for me the texture isn't what I like in an Indy jacket- great for a G1 though :TOH: The lack of a distressed finish would be the only thing that would lead me to believe the Wings would suit you better. Perhaps you could order that first and return it if you don't like the fit. A G&B goat would require some treatment to achieve a vintage look sans 10 years of wear- doable but not for the feint of heart. Also you could always check and see if they can offer a different shade of brown or see if they would be able to select a lighter incarnation of what they have in stock.

Good luck!
Sweet Chariot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sweet Chariot »

gladd96 wrote: In Vancover I'd go with horsehide to offer more protection from the hockey riots
:whip: ha ha :lol:
... and so true it still kinda hurts ](*,)
Sweet Chariot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sweet Chariot »

gladd96 wrote: ...The lack of a distressed finish would be the only thing that would lead me to believe the Wings would suit you better. Perhaps you could order that first and return it if you don't like the fit. A G&B goat would require some treatment to achieve a vintage look sans 10 years of wear...
It's done! I've placed my order with Sarge at US Wings (wel, not to him directly) for the CE Vintage Cow. Thanks for the advice - it sure helps if the advice is what you're already thinking. I cant wait! It's not in stock so the wait will only build the anticipation.

Both my kids (6 & 8 ) have Indy jackets - both are very worn in from use - and finally Dad gets one too.
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

Nice choice :TOH:

I believe that's the same leather used on the Crystal Skull jackets. Top notch stuff. A little light in color for the Raiders look but a beautiful finish in it's own right. Perfect choice for a go-to jacket to take on an outdoor adventure.

Oh the waiting. On the bright side you should have it in time to fully enjoy this fall. Hope it arrives to your liking.
Sweet Chariot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sweet Chariot »

Jacket arrived (Collectors Edition Vintage Cowhide from US Wings) - absolutely perfect. Fit, color, everything - weight is great - should be wearable here most of the year.

Bought a big assortment of Pecards products (thought I might have wanted to darken it but it's perfect to me, as is). It does rain here so will come in handy eventually.

Went with an XL Long. Just could not be happier with the size. I took someones advice and measured a favorite jacket and tried to find the jacket with most similar dimensions. I know the arms, etc, are not SA but wanted something just comfortable.

Thanks again for the earlier great advice
Cheers !
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Another happy customer! :tup:

..now you have to Post 'em UP! ;)
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

Hello,

At 6’1”, 210#, 43” chest, 42” waist I was going to go for a Todd’s Standard in XL @ $195, however they are sold out. So I ordered a US Wings ‘MADE IN USA’ Steer Hide Legend in XL LONG on sale @ $315. Will let you know what I think once it arrives.

Cheers,
W-W
Sweet Chariot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sweet Chariot »

For me - the XL Long was what I wanted. Not tight anywhere and maybe a little longer than your typical "Indy" jacket, but doesnt seem long at all (I'm 6'1" 220#, 44" chest, 40" waist). I think the Legends are especially shorter, so for 6'1" the long should be great.
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

Hello,

I originally pre-ordered the 30th Anniversary in XL but after some thought changed my order to the “US MADE” Texas Steer XL LONG Legend, which shipped immediately. It should work out great under my body armor while flying and cool nights in the mountains here in Afghanistan.

Cheers,
W-W
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Hope it brings you luck. Fly the good sky sir.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Actually, there a several good value jackets for the money these days:

Todd's BW/Standard. Todd's Standard offering has proven itself to be a quality jacket at a bargain price, and the least expensive Indy styled jacket offering in the forum today. Standard's of the past few production runs have been made of very thin lambskin, thin but durable. One selling point is that the jacket simply sports "the look" of the Raiders movie jacket better than vertually any other offering.

Wested Hero. Going back some 30 years in movie history, Peter is back to basics, and has attempted to reproduce the film jacket as closely as possible. Under the original Leather Conessionaires label, they have reconciled this once very elusive pattern to re-create the Hero jacket offered in your choice in a variety of skins.

USW Legend/Hero, Imported and US made $195-$295. US Wings has stepped up its fan reproduction jackets with both the Hero and Legend lines. The Hero is a relaxed fitting pattern, while the Legend is a slimmer, more faithful copy of the Raiders jacket. Imports sell for $195, while US/Schott's are $295 and up. Expect the quality USW is known for.

Gibson & Barnes Expedition in goatskin. The original juggernaut of a jacket, for $488. In terms of quality and hard wearing durability, there is no other Indy jacket made better, today. A faithful reproduction of Terry Leonard's stunt jacket from Raiders, it is the "goto" that Indy probably would have worn in the real world, all things considered. Wear the heck out of it, then hand it down to the next generation.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...come to think of it, I did ask the question. :-k

:P