Another (homeless) Raiders whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Another (homeless) Raiders whip

Post by whiskyman »

Not sure what's going on these days - this is the third whip I've made for a customer who's then bailed out on me! Never mind, I'm happy to keep this one for myself! 8ft Raiders style in nat. tan

Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Another (homeless) Raiders whip

Post by Gater »

Beautiful work! May I suggest that you take payment up front next time?
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Fantastic work indeed, whoever backed out is gonna miss out. Btw Pagey, I have tried to access your website, but it has been red flagged as a dangerous site and I cannot access it. You may want to look into this.

Best Regards
IndianaBravo
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I don't think it will be homeless for long, I nearly PM'd WM on seeing it to snatch it up!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

IndianaBravo wrote:Fantastic work indeed, whoever backed out is gonna miss out. Btw Pagey, I have tried to access your website, but it has been red flagged as a dangerous site and I cannot access it. You may want to look into this.

Best Regards
IndianaBravo
Yes, thanks - I know about that, but unfortunately have no idea what to do about it - I will probably take the page down.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

Great looking whip! Wasnt there a thread just recently about why whipmakers ask for payment in advance? This could be an object lesson.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I do ask for payment in advance - but it's happened a couple of times that the buyers have asked to back out and get a refund before the whip was finished. The previous two i sold anyway. This one I'll keep. might be time to ignore requests for orders and just sell whips as and when i feel like making them.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I like that color natural tan you use. It's not "white" natural tan, it's a darker natural tan, where do you get it?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Perhaps you should email customers with a "refund deadline," based on how long it will be before you start work on their whip. Or send a notice just before you start the actual work.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

riku1914 wrote:I like that color natural tan you use. It's not "white" natural tan, it's a darker natural tan, where do you get it?
Actually this is the same natural tan that I always use - I think it looks darker because I left the overlay strands hanging in my (very hot at the moment) workspace for a couple of weeks before finishing the whip. Also, because the strands are cut quite narrow, I gave them an extra good soaking in braiding soap a day ot two before braiding, to strengthen them and reduce the risk of them snapping - especially as the leather had been hanging around.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I know, but all of your whips look kind of like that color, I didn't say this one was different I was just saying I liked it. Where do you

get your roo hides?
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Actually, it is a little darker than usual. For comparison here's another that I made a few weeks ago.

I get my hides from several sources either in Australia or the US depending on which exchange rate is best and who happens to have a good supply of skins. I think this was made from leather that I got through Paul Nolan.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

It's still not the "white" natural tan that I don't like. It's the more brown/dark yellow natural tan. Anyway they are great whips. btw

whiskyman I pm'd you, not about buying though I wish I had the money :(