Bantu Wind-ish, Todd's jacket thread...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Bantu Wind Todd's jacket thread...

Post by Texan Scott »

Just in case you may be wondering, an XL measures: 25" across the pits, 25 1/2" sleeves and 26" back length.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Sounds like the measurements I'd order a custom with! Mine's set to arrive Thursday!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

3 pages, and still only one jacket has been seen. #-o
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Yeah, we've been in the process of moving, so I'm overdue, but I'll surely make it a point to....

Post 'em UP! :tup: :ducttape:

...if I could just find that darn camera.... :P
manpurse
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by manpurse »

can you guys explain the pocket issue to me
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

please elaborate? :-k
tex1272
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by tex1272 »

Pocket issue?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

read here

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=51409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Obviously, 1st quality jackets will generally have fewer issues than the latter, but mine really has no issues. In fact it is screaming for me to put it on and go get drug by a truck as we speak! Stopping for traffic lights are heck in a handbasket, let me tell you... :shock:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

man, I'm getting bored with this thread. :lol: I mean come on. sure there are more jackets out there then one or two right?
CanadianRaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CanadianRaider »

I can't believe mine hasn't shown up yet. I thought for sure it would arrive yesterday. And than today. And now I'm hoping for tomorrow. My tracking info hasn't updated beyond "parcel accepted" from May 4th. But from previous experiences I know USPS can be a little slow to Canada for reasons I have no idea of. Oh well. Whenever I do get it though I plan on doing a pretty thorough comparison with my OTR Wested I bought 4 months ago. While it's Last Crusade style, it's more the Wested stitching/seam quality and leather I'm interested in comparing. And yes, I'll post a ton of pictures...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It's worth the wait. I should have some pics up tonight...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The box arrived complete with that ol' familiar beef jerkey smell, so I knew it must have been sent from Toddus Maximus Coyleus! The package was larger this time, though, and how many of you know THAT was a good thing! :whip:

"Bantu Wind", "PoS" call it what you will....THIS SNAFU turned out to be stupendous!

Yet, it got me ta' thinkin'.... :-k ...hmmm....in light of Arnie's recent turn of events....

....WHAT IF.....Indy was a body builder? What would THAT look like?
:o :? :shock: :P :lol:

fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Actually...You pull off the twisting back double biceps rather well! :TOH:

Jacket looks great...No surprise! Thanks for the photos! :clap:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I'm so envious, this snafus only for L or larger, is making me =P~
A large would just be to wide in the shoulder and the sleeve length, oy.
Come on Todd, screw up some Mediums. Kiddin. :P

You lucky dogs. Lovin the pic's so far.

Croft :mrgreen:
oh and for the heck of it, who has a L that they can maesure across the back and from the shoulder seam to the cuff, in inches please.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Indiana Croft wrote:Come on Todd, screw up some Mediums. Kiddin. :P
Forget the mediums, how about if some long sizes "accidentally" get made for us tall folk? ;)
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

I couldn't get any shots of me wearing the jacket today, but I managed to snap these between classes!

Like I said, the grain is amazing, it's just the lining that makes the jacket hot! Looks like I found my Raiders jacket! \:D/
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Should be a smiley crying, cause I'm crying inside. I want to buy one but if it didn't fit, what then, have another jacket with sleeves down to the middle of my hand. So sad.
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Croft, get a large and shrink it, some people have done a soaking and the lamb shrunk quite a bit.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

HDRnR wrote:Croft, get a large and shrink it, some people have done a soaking and the lamb shrunk quite a bit.
:tup: +1
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

yeah Croft, it will shrink I'm sure...and if not, and if you're not happy with the regular fit and not wanting to risk it...take some pics and throw it up in the bazaar...I'm sure someone will buy it especially once they see the pictures, grains etc, etc. I seriously doubt you would be out anything other than some time, and you might end up with a SUPER jacket. The large didn't look crazy big on Todd in the original pics, and he should really be a size med.

just my 2 cents. :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well, that was about time new pictures started to show up here and especially by the thread starter. GREAT photos Tex. yours is XL right?

anyways, the jacket looks amazing. it looks like the climbing up to the tmeple jacket or the well of souls jacket. looks amazing. the shoulder seam moved forward makes the jacket not in any way BAntu looking. IMO. in my eyes it looks the raiders jacket
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thanks for the lining photos! Much appreciated!

Hmm..Maybe too hot for summer, but come winter that's going to be THE jacket...I figured since I had the cowhide Wested that I'd be covered, but....But.....I'm still thinking about that one! :-k

Good stuff... ;)

And yeah, Holt, agreed...I was re-watching Raiders again and especially the starting scene....Since that was mentioned by you...There's a LOT of similarity..The shoulder seam is a very small point to pick up on, and is rather hard to see in a "normal" viewing... But the temple scene and yes, perhaps Well of Souls seem to fit this jacket spot on...Very good to see for this price! :notworthy:

Keep the photos coming! :H:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Indiana Croft wrote:Croft :mrgreen:
Should be a smiley crying, cause I'm crying inside. I want to buy one but if it didn't fit, what then, have another jacket with sleeves down to the middle of my hand. So sad.
stop crying! you can just take in the sleeves and as for the shoulder width. well, the real raiders jacket was droopy at the shoulders.
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

that's what I'm looking for, the kind of Raidersy 'droopy' shoulders, the way the jacket hangs in the back in the temple scene. Looking forward to this Bantu Wind jacket. I ordered an XL thinking that I'll give it the cold water wash treatment if need be. Unfortunately when I ordered mine last week I just went for standard shipping, so it hasn't made it across the continent yet.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Just want to another note about sizing:

I just got this jacket in size XL yesterday. I mistakenly thought that this jacket's sizing would be similar to my Todd's standard XL which fit me perfectly. But the Bantu's way too big, esp. in the waist area. I'm going to try a cold water soak to see if it shrinks a little bit, but I'm not sure how successful that will be. Other than that, this jacket is another winner from Todds. The grain, texture and other details are superb! And of course, it's an incredible value! :tup:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I think we need more pics of guys wearing 'em, but not trying to pose :-k

That way maybe we can get a better feel for the details? How low the yoke is, etc, etc?

Just a thought. But as a FAN, I like any and all pics :clap:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the yoke is not low. it is at 5inch which is perfect. the yoke looks bigger at the sides is because the top shoulder seam is moved on top of the shoulder and not pushed back like Todd does them. thats the difference. the yoke itself is where it should be.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Adirondack Jones wrote:. Unfortunately when I ordered mine last week I just went for standard shipping, so it hasn't made it across the continent yet.
I went for usps international shipping and it's not here yet either. when I track it only says it left LA on May 6.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I'm glad you guys like the jackets so much! I'll be curious to see how that leather breaks in. There are a few spots that got a little crispy in the shrinking process. The tannery they use is trying and trying to get the leather the way I want it. I like the grain, very uneven, but it should be a lot softer. And a few rib marks here and there wouldn't hurt.

Shrinking is definitely possible. I did one like this: Dipped it in luke warm water, rolled it up and let it penetrate really good for a few hours. Then I tumbled it in the dryer on LOW heat for a few hours. Check it every now and then, slip it on (yuck) and stretch out any seams that are getting too puckered. Continue this way until the jacket is dry, or until it is the size you want. Just keep stretching those seams back into shape.

Make sure you don't use any heat higher than a warm day. Heat will stiffen leather. Tumbling while it is drying will keep the leather flexing so it doesn't dry stiff (it also helps bring out a little more natural grain for a broken in look).

To stretch a jacket - the same procedure applies, but only tumble it about 75% dry. Then you have to take it out and wear it, flexing and stretching as much as you can. Pull the jacket down at the hem. You'll be limited by the liner. The sleeves can be lengthened by pulling, which relaxes the shoulders and stretches the sleeves. Oh, and pull that collar really good to make it snug on the back of your neck.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

You guys are killing me with these jackets! :) Todd, how much would you say you were able to shrink it? Everyone else - if you have any US wings jackets - how do the fits compare? I have a Large US Wings Signature which is a little roomy. If I get a Large BAntu do you think I could get more of a medium fit?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

one thing I really like about this thread is how some people had misgivings about Todd`s jackets and now that they are temporarily at a steal folks are buying them and realizing what an awesome product Todd is putting out. May not have the "built like a tank" rep like Nowak`s but definitely the top of the line in Screen Accuracy appearance.
You go, Todd!
:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Got my size large yesterday. Fits good....to compare,I wear a 38 T G&B Expo.
The Todd's could be a bit longer in the body tho.

Will post pics this weekend......
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

you've got me nervous now Bindy. I also have a Todd's standard in XL that fits really well. I was hoping maybe the Bantu might be just a touch bigger in the shoulders. I dunno 'cause Raiders57 says his G&B is a 38 and a Bantu L fits him fine. I'll just have to wait and see. Anyway, I'm still awaiting mine and I figure I'll give it the _ wash regardless, so hopefully it'll shrink just enough to be a little droopy.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

AJ....The Bantu seems bigger in the body than my GB goat. But I also think the thinner softer lamb hangs closer .
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

I don't know G&B for reference of sizing. I have a Large US Wings (which is a little large) and wear a 40R suit. Do you guys think I could shrink it down so I wasn't swimming in it? I know Todd's are supposed to be a slimmer fit anyway - does that hold true with the Bantu wind? (and I know you all secretly hate me for asking :[ )
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Indiana Croft wrote:
Croft
Indiana holt :whip: :whip: :whip:
stop crying! you can just take in the sleeves and as for the shoulder width. well, the real raiders jacket was droopy at the shoulders.
Ouch............................ Ya I probably try it, gotta save some more though. Hey anyone looking for a close enough shirt, check out my bizzar sale. Harmless plug. Can't hurt.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

these jackets ain't a ''bantu wind'' cut. Todd only said they LOOK like the bantu jacket cuz of the ''lower'' yoke which was a mess up from the factory.( Correct me if I am wrong here Todd.) the rest of the jacket is normal standard todd's Raiders fit.

this message goes also to all people who pm me about it. :TOH:
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

yeah, I know, but calling it the "bantu Wind" jacket just makes it easier for everyone to know which jacket we're referring to. From what I understand the jacket Ford wore in the Bantu Wind shots wasn't as screen accurate as these jackets are...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:-s

AJ, no offense, but that was one of the most puzzling remarks I've read in a LONG time. :[

ANYTHING Ford wore on screen HAS to be considered 'screen accurate'....INCLUDING the jacket he wore in the 'Bantu Wind' scenes.

These Todd's Costume jacket patterns were not, nor anything LIKE these patterns....so wouldn't it actually be the other way round? :-k

;)

Regards! Michaelson
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Indiana Holt wrote:
Adirondack Jones wrote:. Unfortunately when I ordered mine last week I just went for standard shipping, so it hasn't made it across the continent yet.
I went for usps international shipping and it's not here yet either. when I track it only says it left LA on May 6.
I got a delivery est of 1-3 days, still waiting. I guess to the usps 1-3 days is another way of saying 4 or more.
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Wow, I just got my unlined XL Bantu Wind Jacket. The grain pattern looks great. The zipper might need something like Vaseline to make it pull a little smoother? Also there are some creases as we have been told. Not sure how to get them out without soaking. Also I have a PRO garment steamer. Not sure if I should use that on the creases? I'm looking forward to wearing this lighter jacket during warmer temps. My other jackets are heavier cowhide. Maybe I can get some pics this weekend.

I haven't bought any new gear in months, so I'm enjoying this new acquisition.

Indiana Jake
Last edited by Indiana Jake on Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

You whipped me into submission. :whip: I pulled the trigger and got one. \:D/ With the money I saved not buying a US Wings I'm going to put aside for my LC Wested or a new pair of Aldens. Post pictures when I get it, but everyone else keep posting them so I can live vicariously through you.
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

It rained while I was wearing my jacket last night. It got soaked quite a bit and this morning the jacket was a little stiff and started breaking in :-) also, it's no longer as shiny which makes me happy, of course. I think it will distress naturally and fast too.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Ordered..
Confirmed..

Happy Bish.. :D
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Well I took my XL and gave it a good soak and left it for 6 hours to dry in the hot sun. Afterwards, the jacket definately shrank some.....the sleeves are shorter now by about 1 in., the back length shorter by almost 2 inches!...the chest shrank about 1 inch and the waist shrank by about 2 inches. The fit is now much better, although it's still roomy. The leather is stiffer but the shine is almost gone. One thing that is a little disconcerting is that some loose threads are starting to appear here and there.
Fitch
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Fitch »

Can anyone confirm the armpit/armpit measurement on a Large?

Thanks!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Armpit seam to armpit seam on my large is 60cm....

Gusset seam to gusset seam is 64cm...

:TOH:
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Bantu Wind Todd's jacket thread...

Post by Arca Perdida »

fifthchamber wrote:Armpit seam to armpit seam on my large is 60cm....

Gusset seam to gusset seam is 64cm...

:TOH:
What about sleeve length and back length? Thanks in advance!
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

hey everyone

just a question that's been nagging me these past days : does the insulated lining make the jacket fit a little more snug (er...snugger) than a regular one ?

coz i'm a M size guy, but the L bantu wind might do for me in tha =P~ t case...