Bantu Wind-ish, Todd's jacket thread...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Bantu Wind-ish, Todd's jacket thread...

Post by Texan Scott »

"Dr. Jones, I've heard alot about you, sir." "Your appearance is exactly the way I imagined!"

Sometimes a SNAFU works for the greater good of the community!

Post 'em UP, gents! :tup: :ducttape:
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Bantu Wind Todd's jacket thread...

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You might want to wait before the jackets are even shipped!
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I already got my tracking number.
Does that count? :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It's not often that you see the low yoke and the sleeve seams misaligned? :P Like that larger collar stand! :tup:

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I personally don't think it is THAT big. it's not big as LC or temple in my eyes. it looks like the yoke on the earlier westeds or some from today even... look at Goraks new jacket

I think the jacket rocks and I ordered an XL. I hope it will fit loose on me.I have a 45 chest. I don't really like tight fitting raiders jacket. I could go to XXL but I think the XXL would be alittle TOO big.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

To bad no mediums. :(
Can't wait to see some actual pics. Congrats to all those who are a L or larger. :H:

Croft :mrgreen:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I would buy the L Croft. remmber only 79.99. you could shrink it alittle. such cheap SA jacket is to good to pass up and it is a perfect ''beat up'' jacket ;)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Indiana Holt wrote:I personally don't think it is THAT big. it's not big as LC or temple in my eyes. it looks like the yoke on the earlier westeds or some from today even... look at Goraks new jacket
I agree. I don't think the yoke is as low as it looks, either.
It looks more like the shoulder seams on top and the neck hole were moved forward a bit (which would make it fit better), making the yoke look lower than it actually is.

However, that is going off of 1 picture. We'll know the facts once the jackets have arrived.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

And $79.00 is for the "seconds" that have tears in them. The first quality mess ups are $99. ;)
CanadianRaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CanadianRaider »

Really looking forward to receiving mine next week. Being the type of person I am though I'm a little worried about the "minor quality issues (loose threads, etc)" But I'm sure it won't be nearly as problematic as I'm making it out to be in my head.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

Hopefully. :-k It's the only thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger on one. Non-refundable is non-refundable.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Sure like the look of the jacket and the leather, from the photos at least. I mean, for the price, why not take a chance, Croft? So do we affectionately christen it the "PoS" jacket? I got my PoS, what about you? :P :lol:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

What do you mean POS? This clearly the Terry Leonard truck drag jacket! :P
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Gotta back what Scott said up 100%... All in, for the first choice jacket plus shipping to Japan I'm paying about 140 dollars..Which is insane...About 80 quid all in for a jacket that has a marginally wider yoke? (And not so wide it looks bad..).. Nothing to think about at all... :P

I might have gotten the size wrong, since I'm about the same as Holt, and he knows more about Jacket sizing than I do and he went with an XL.. But even if I do make a mistake and it's a touch tight, it's STILL only 140 dollars worth...Even I can afford that, on my teachers salary!

Quality all in... :TOH:
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

kwad wrote:I already got my tracking number.
Got my tracking number too!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Joe
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Texan Scott wrote:Sure like the look of the jacket and the leather, from the photos at least. I mean, for the price, why not take a chance, Croft? So do we affectionately christen it the "PoS" jacket? I got my PoS, what about you? :P :lol:

perfect. I love it.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

Indiana Croft wrote:To bad no mediums. :(
Can't wait to see some actual pics. Congrats to all those who are a L or larger. :H:

I'm in the same boat as you. My chest is 41" with air in my lungs so I think the up to 45" will be a little roomy.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I'm in the same boat as you. My chest is 41" with air in my lungs so I think the up to 45" will be a little roomy.
Bingo. I just looked in my custom Todds, and it's actually a size 40S. I'd love to pull the trigger, but I'm thinkin my 40" chest would be swammped in this one, good price or not.

I'm thinkin that if Todd was experimenting on this type of leather ( [-o< ) and came up with jacket in error, well maybe, just maybe a new leather type might be on the horizon.
Just my .10 cent worth. (heck everything goin up)

CanadianRaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CanadianRaider »

Indiana Croft wrote:I'm thinkin that if Todd was experimenting on this type of leather ( [-o< ) and came up with jacket in error, well maybe, just maybe a new leather type might be on the horizon.
That's what I was thinking too. As far as I know the only type of criticism that Todds jackets ever receive are about it's thin lambskin. Though some people love it for that reason, so calling it a criticism may not be entirely true. But nonetheless, I don't think I'm the only one who's wanted a Todds cut jacket in a tougher hide without having to order a custom. So when I read Todds info about this "Bantu" being a tougher and thicker Lambskin, I jumped at the opportunity to own one.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Joeyeah_right wrote:
kwad wrote:I already got my tracking number.
Got my tracking number too!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Joe
I'll see your tracking number and raise you a delivery date.
According to the USPS website, my jacket is on it's way and should be delivered tomorrow. \:D/

On a side note, I love how fast Todd ships out his orders.
(One order from him was delivered in UNDER 24 hours from the time it was placed. Now that is fast!!)
Just goes to show what a great guy he is to deal with! :tup:
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Well, Kwad, did you get it yet? Let us know! Pics, pics, pics!!!
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I can't wait to see you guys in these jackets.

I'm 5'10, 40" chest, and I'm wearing a Large in the photo. It feels comfortable. A Medium would definitely feel constricting.

Sorry about the no return policy, but it would be a nightmare for us. I know how you guys are. We'd be swapping for less grainy/more grainy, the side straps don't hang down enough for me... We'd have to charge MORE because of these jacket's uh... "individual personality".

-Todd
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hey Todd.

as you might know I ordered the X-Large and I am a 45 chest. and usually wear a 44. I hope the jacket wont be too restricting. maby I should have gone XXL. then again that might be too big...

what do you think my friend.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I'd guess you're probably okay. If it is tight across the back, you may want to use a little shoe stretch on the back and then stretch it while wearing it. A little "spot" fix. The rest should fit well. With these things, you just don't know until you try it on. I think you'll be okay.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanks. I have the old XXL pattern and it is perfect in the chest and waist but just a hair to tight for me in the back, I can wear and it is comfy but when I cross my arms foward I feel it tighten up and the armholes pinch alittle.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Well, my jacket was waiting for me when I got home from the office.
Me likey!

The leather is tough, but a little thinner than my old Authentic lamb. It was stiff at first, but, it is loosening up quickly.
The grain just rocks! I wetted the collar on mine to train it, and a section of bubbly grain popped up.

The only defect I can find on the whole jacket is in the cargo pocket. Someone goofed and forgot to sew the leather inside the jacket to hand warmer opening. The hand warmers are perfectly fine, but, the whole back side of the cargo pockets open up into the liner.

The yoke is NOT as low as a LC or TOD. The sleave seams are in the same place on the Todd's and my Wested LC/CS. The Todd's yoke is 1 and 1/4 inches higher than the Wested.
Most of the extra lenght in the yoke is at the top as the factory appears to have moved the neckhole and shoulder seams forward to make it fit like a normal jacket (but, unfortunately gets rid of the quirky Raiders "off the shoulders" look).
Oddly though, the yoke/back panel seam on the Todd's is curved downward slightly (like a frown) instead of straight across.

The back length for my size Large is 24.5". And since the collar lays at the back of your neck, it is a short jacket (perfect for me at 5'10")

This is a nice, lightweight jacket with a lot of great details.

Holt, I think the XL will fit you nicely.

I measured my self last night, and I have a 43". The large fits me very, very well.
The only time I feel constricted in any way is when I put both arms straight out in front of me, I can feel the yoke seam. Like Todd said, it will stretch with time. Mine already has began to stretch and feels more roomy.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks dude. Good to know.and I had a feeling the yoke seam would be the thing you felt when you cross your arms forward. my old style XXL-A does it.

did you get first or second quality?

and dude. PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Mine is first quality. Besides the pocket issue, I haven't found any loose threads or weak seams.

I'll get pics up soon.
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

Todd my boy, you are BURNIN' IN UP these days with the Bantu wind jacket, whips restocked and the PANTS on the way. Once again, a great job from a great vendor! Thank you
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

:WLWOP:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

kwad wrote:Oddly though, the yoke/back panel seam on the Todd's is curved downward slightly (like a frown) instead of straight across.

Todd. Noticed this on all your new set of jackets?
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

Ok boys and girls! I received my jacket and after owning several Westeds and a couple of Nowaks, this was the first time in this hobby that I was truly impressed with what I bought. I don't know...maybe all Todd's jackets are like this one, but it feels like the Raiders jacket for sure.

The leather. I was expecting to receive a jacket that like some of my Westeds at first felt more like plastic. Well, my expectations were surpassed. The leather looks like leather, feels like leather and smells like leather too. The leather is quite substantial and yet the jacket feels light when you put it on. If can draw a comparison it would say it's Armani suits or jackets. It looks substantial, but when you put it on it feels very comfortable and light.

I ordered 2nd quality anticipating that I will give the jacket to one of the guys at my local Starbucks. Again, my expectations were surpassed. There is nothing really wrong with the pockets. Yes, there was an orange sticker pointing to where the problems was, but honestly I paid 5x more for Indy jackets with far more problems. If it wasn't for that orange sticker, I would be still trying to find out what and where the problem is.

The yoke. It is slightly bent downwards, but if I hadn't read about it in this thread, I wouldn't have noticed that either.

The overall appearance. Well, it's one of these jackets that you take it right out of the box and you're ready to go. The leather is grainy and as some cool wrinkles too it making the jacket like it has been worn before. And, of course, the color is also amazing. It is deep dark brown making it look like it came from the Raiders movie set.

I think I may develop a close relationship with a mirror for the next few days as I am not only extremely pleased with this purchase, but this is the first time when I feel like I have the JACKET. Surprisingly, it took the least amount of money ever to make me happy.

In my final words here which makes my longest post on this forum, I would like to say that I was always very skeptical about Todds jackets. I reasoned that you can't buy a great Indy jacket for $149. Funny, how wrong I was. I bought my best Indy jacket ever for $79. It was so silly of me to think what I thought about Todd's jackets. Oh well, I used to say to my soon ex-wife that "stupidity is so underrated".

Dunross.

Pics: sorry no pics, but I am sure others will post them. Also, the jacket IMO looks better than on the pics on Todd's website.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanks for the review but again I go AHHHHHHHHHHHH no pics.
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

Sorry....spent quite few years on COW now and still no idea how post pics. I guess I can post a link to my FB.

Yes, the yoke does seem to restrict my movement, but it will stretch and I've never owned an Indy jacket that would be super comfortable. I am 5'11, 41 chest, 34 waist and 10 1/2 EE Alden. I can pretty much wear what Indy wore, but I never expect an Indy jacket to be super comfortable.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

photobucket.com :TOH:
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

I have just posted some pics. Sorry that they're kinda lousy, but I took them myself at my local Starbucks and my camera run out of juice.

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m55 ... wbuks1976/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I must say that the pics do a tremendous injustice to this jacket.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

whoho! awesome. any pics of the back?
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

ok Holt! This should make you a little happier. I added more pics of the back, front and me wearing the jacket.
This should give you an idea what the jacket looks like. Also, I took them without the flash, so its color is more true to what the jacket looks like...very dark brown.

here's the link to the updated photo album:

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m55 ... wbuks1976/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know what you guys think about the jacket.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

now this is what I'm talking about. thanks dude! it looks great. ad yeah, slight curve to the yoke but you hardly notice it!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

what size is this?
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

it's LARGE.

The back is 24,5
The sleeve is +- 25

chest is 41.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Great lookin' jacket Dunross, it fits you well.

Yes the curve in the yoke is very slight, and hardly noticeable when the jacket is worn.

The center of the yoke seam is 5" from the bottom of the collar stand. It is also 5" from the shoulder seams at the ends (due to the curve).

However, I could care less.I love this jacket.
Despite the yoke size or seam placement, it just screams Raiders.

I've been spraying water on it with a squirt bottle all day, and wearing it until it dries (which is very quickly due to the low weight of the leather). I've also wiped it down with some rubbing Alcohol and it has nocked the shine down quite a bit (it was sort of plasticy looking at first).

I'll get pictures up as soon as my photographer is feeling better.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Dunross76 wrote:it's LARGE.

The back is 24,5
The sleeve is +- 25

chest is 41.
Does it fit tight Dunross76?
I ordered a large as well and it fits well. I'm around a 40 chest as well. Maybe I may be able to shrink it a tad to have a slimmer fit.
As for the leather, it's nice and thin, super grainy and TOUGH! I ordered the insulated lining...which i'm not really digging
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

I would say that it has a tighter fit than my other jackets with the exception of my Nowaks. I don't think it needs any distressing apart from some light H2O treatment. I can tell that it will distress quickly. I may consider ordering one size up to see what the jacket looks like when it's a little baggier. Also, I should mention that the sleeve was a little short on mine, but I have long arms. What I did, I took out the sleeve, soaked in H2O and, thus, extended the sleeve by 1.5 inch which was all I needed to be happy. Again, it's an awesome jacket and despite the minor yoke issue, it does feel very Raiders.
Finally, the pictures I posted don't show it, but the color is this nice dark Raiders brown.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Hmm....I'm worried slightly about the size now..I went with large, but may have been better off with an XL... Ah well, it's just cleared Japanese customs, so I should have it by tomorrow sometime I guess... We'll see then..

If it's too large I'll be selling it on and heading back for an XL I think... So, if anyone wants a slightly cheaper new jacket in large, watch this space! :TOH:
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Yes, the yoke does curve slightly. Mine always have. The FS I measured and the G&B I measured and the Nowak do as well. It might look a little strange because the seam is lower on the back. If you make the seam straight it looks wierd.

-Todd
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Bantu Wind Todd's jacket thread...

Post by Joeyeah_right »

fifthchamber wrote:Hmm....I'm worried slightly about the size now..I went with large, but may have been better off with an XL... Ah well, it's just cleared Japanese customs, so I should have it by tomorrow sometime I guess... We'll see then..

If it's too large I'll be selling it on and heading back for an XL I think... So, if anyone wants a slightly cheaper new jacket in large, watch this space! :TOH:
I'm thinking the same thing myself.
Oh well, guess I'll wait until it gets here and try it on and see for myself...

Joe
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Dunross76 wrote: Also, I should mention that the sleeve was a little short on mine, but I have long arms. What I did, I took out the sleeve, soaked in H2O and, thus, extended the sleeve by 1.5 inch which was all I needed to be happy.
1.5 inch longer? Wow, that's huge difference. Could you tell me guys how much of folded leather is there in sleeves' cuffs, that could make sleeves longer?
41 inch chest, so you mean 20.5 pit to pit or you have 41 inch chest?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I'm hoping he's talking about his own chest measurements, since Todd mentioned a large should be up to 45 inches in Chest size...

Taking another look at the measurements on Todds site, I'd still say I'm okay with a large though..So I guess we'll really have to wait and see!

Should arrive by tomorrow...If it's decent I'll post pics, and if not then I'll sell it on and trouble Todd for a larger size!

Win in either event I think! ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

can't wait to see it Ben. I hope your Large will fit you perfectly cuz you'r bigger then me and then I know my XL will be good loose fit on me.