WPG's W&G MKVII

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

WPG's W&G MKVII

Post by Hollowpond »

The shoulder bag was my first piece of real gear. It was the first thing that I owned that I KNEW was exactly like the one in the movies. For this very reason it remains a gear piece that is very close to my heart. Heck, I even felt my first SA obsessiveness urge (one I have since overcome) over the bag. I got my very first MK VII from WPG. It was a used bag and had some markings on it. I loved it, but it had this dang disc on the side! That is not in the movie, I thought to myself. So, I promptly got me a pair of pliers and snatched it off. The next night I was watching LC and as Indy climbs back on the tank I saw the disc! :o I thought I was going to throw up :-0 . Well, I got another one and replaced the disc, but the point is the bag is a very cool gear piece to me...

About a month ago, I read this post by wwhisko
I just ordered the newer WARING & GILBOW MK VII bag they're offering. It's more expensive, but they claim it's more screen accurate. I'll let you know.
I was like, "What?!?" I then went to their website and found this little tidbit
NOW AVAILABLE: We have a limited supply of bags made by Waring & Gilbow and marked W&G. According to legend, bags used in Raiders of the Lost Ark were from this maker.
I was like, "What?!?" I then went to the main site where I read
Waring & Gilbow Ltd. Positively identified as one of the versions used in the films.
Designated by initials W&G, 1932 Ltd.
Production years: 1940–1943. Made respirator haversacks, as well as sundry other military supplies such as stuffable 'field beds'. W&G made most of their items from linen, rather than canvas.
Well, my birthday came and I acquired some disposable funds. I purchased the bag (even though I think that WPG might be taking advantage of the Gearheads weak wallet control), and it came on Thursday.
First, I am struck by the quality of this NOS gear piece. It really seems NEW! I think it is absolutely Raiders to a tee. From the color (I'm sure some will not like the contrasting webbing and thread, but I love it!!)to the rough snap covers. I watched Raiders today (as I am want to do when a new item arrives) and the one thing I was truly struck by was how new the MK VII looked! If you watch the Cairo scene, everything else looks like its on its last leg. The bag however is PERFECT. Heck, even the rings the strap go through are shiny! Like super shiny! They are even shinier than the buckle. Anyways, enough of my blabber...Here's the pics

Travis
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: WPG's W&G MKVII

Post by fifthchamber »

Does look great mate... Money well invested...

Great bag! :TOH:
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing! I've been wondering how W&G looked, now I know thanks!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

No rain on the parade at all, Michael! I'm happy with my bag, considering it was bought with "free" money. However, I 100% agree that each bag (regardless of maker) is unique, and I very seriously doubt the prop dept insisted on a w&g bag. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would've just got a regular bag and asked for one with textured buttons. However I do love the color of this particular bag, but I reckon that was just luck of the draw.
I'm happy with it anyways... :TOH:
wpg
Vendor

Post by wpg »

Evidently this thread has been very helpful to the board members, as we have had quite a spike in orders for the W&G bags in the last few days. Unfortunately, item descriptions on the WPG website must be brief, and you have covered the subject quite thoroughly.

We have had endless requests over the years to pick out a W&G bag for this or that order, but I preferred to leave it to luck. Warehouse went ahead and sorted them out anyway, so now we can satisfy that demand for a short time. Though we have a quite large supply of bags, surprisingly few of them were from W&G, so this offer won't be around long. Yes, they are virtually identical to all other Mk VII bags, but the maker's stamp alone is what makes them desirable to a certain few. Some people, on the other hand, use their Mk VII bags to carry rocks and such.

Thanks again for your discussion and photos.

Jerry
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Just to clarify - there were several makers of contract military gear during WWII - one company could not handle the demand for uniforms, gear, webbing (even jeeps - remember ford making jeeps too?). The bags would be constructed the same, regardless of company making them as they were part of every British soldier's gear. Any alterations to a bag to make it drastically different from another would be done at the hands of an individual, not the company making them. Bags would be made from different suppliers of webbing and canvas, which could make the overall look of the bag somewhat different from maker to maker - but even a maker may have different looking bags depending on suppliers, etc.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

nicktheguy wrote:Just to clarify - but even a maker may have different looking bags depending on suppliers, etc.
EXACTLY what I was saying Nick! :tup: Even purchasing these specifically stamped W&G bags, the looks could definitely be a @#$% shoot.
As I have said before the one thing that has awestruck me about this bag is the newness of it. I have never acquired military surplus (issued or unissued) that was this seemingly new! I like it alot! :D
I also like the textured buttons. That is the only thing that is really would have been a deal breaker for me...I DO NOT like the smooth buttons. I really don't know if all W&G's have the textured buttons, but if I had gotten one with smooth buttons I would have shipped it on to the bazaar (more than likely at a loss to me!). Oh well, felt like gambling this time and it did pay off.
Love the look of your bag too, Michael! :tup: Does yours have the textured buttons as well?

Travis
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

All I have to say is congratulations Travis! You got a piece of gear you appreciate and it looks like your going to enjoy it. I completely understand the sentiment about it being the same make as what was used in filming. To me that makes it all the more special.

The bag was my first piece of gear and I picked up an eBay knock-off for little to nothing. It was only a month ago that I got a real MKVII and it's such a better piece than the fake. My "original" has the textured buttons also and I agree with you about them adding that much more to it. Congrats dude and thanks for posting this thread. I'm sure a lot of folks appreciate it. I know I do... You got $50 you can loan me? ;) :lol:

:TOH:
-TS
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Thanks TS! As to the $50...may I suggest a little :BD:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

You can suggest it but my skills there pale in comparison to Bink's. It's his tiny hands. :lol:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Tennessee Smith wrote:You can suggest it but my skills there pale in comparison to Bink's. It's his tiny hands. :lol:
:rolling:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Cool, Michael. I was just wondering if ALL W&G bags had the textured snaps...I guess that answers my question. :TOH:
Oh, and TS...
:rolling: :rolling:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Tundrarider wrote:Did the prop folks select the W&G bag for any specific reason? If so, it probably had nothing to do with it's maker. Most likely, the bag they selected and used just happened to be a W&G. There were a bunch of government contracts awarded to different companies to produce these bags.
According to one of the propmasters I spoke to 'back in the day', there was absolutely no 'method to the madness.' They were just tasked to come up with a bag, so they grabbed a bunch of gas mask bags off the shelf, cobbled together some leather straps, and put them on Ford.

There was no 'selection' process, except to make sure they all looked alike in appearance when on screen.

Regards! Michaelson
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Hollowpond wrote:
nicktheguy wrote:Just to clarify - but even a maker may have different looking bags depending on suppliers, etc.
EXACTLY what I was saying Nick! :tup: Even purchasing these specifically stamped W&G bags, the looks could definitely be a @#$% shoot.
As I have said before the one thing that has awestruck me about this bag is the newness of it. I have never acquired military surplus (issued or unissued) that was this seemingly new! I like it alot! :D
I also like the textured buttons. That is the only thing that is really would have been a deal breaker for me...I DO NOT like the smooth buttons. I really don't know if all W&G's have the textured buttons, but if I had gotten one with smooth buttons I would have shipped it on to the bazaar (more than likely at a loss to me!). Oh well, felt like gambling this time and it did pay off.
Love the look of your bag too, Michael! :tup: Does yours have the textured buttons as well?

Travis

Not to get technical or anything, but all the bags used in the films had smooth buttons. ;) But if you're happy that's all that matters. :TOH:
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

sithspawn wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:

Travis

Not to get technical or anything, but all the bags used in the films had smooth buttons. ;) But if you're happy that's all that matters. :TOH:
Really? Any screen shots that show smooth snaps?
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

I have to admit...for some reason, I always thought the on screen bags had smooth snaps. I guess it was just an assumption. I've been looking for a good screen grab to prove this, but still haven't found one. Perhaps when the series is finally released on Blu-Ray, it will become clear...although I haven't examined my CRYSTAL SKULL Blu-Ray yet.

I have a question, and I apologize if it has already been answered somewhere...and I just missed it. Can a 1942 MK VII be dry cleaned and pressed, without causing damage (to the fabric or the tie string)? I just bought five from WPG (the W&G versions), which now brings my total to ten (but only seven are W&G). Aside from having been flattened during years of storage, they're all in exquisite condition. I was wondering if these can be dry cleaned and pressed, so they'll have that "brand new" feel and look. Does anyone know? Or perhaps there's another way to get out the fabric folds?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I just wet mine down, crumpled it up a couple of times, and then smoothed out the crumpled and let it dry. Worked a charm for me!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

As to the smooth buttons; first let me state that even if they are the only ones on the movie bags, I still prefer the look of the textured buttons SA or not. =;
HOWEVER, I have looked at screenshots and some of the film stills and I have seen no definitive evidence one way or the other. I would like to see some screenshots clarifying what the films' bag buttons were just out of idle curiosity...

Travis
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

They're drying now. I'm doing three at a time. Thank you for the advice. I'll get some photos up, as soon as they're all done.

David
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Hollowpond wrote:As to the smooth buttons; first let me state that even if they are the only ones on the movie bags, I still prefer the look of the textured buttons SA or not. =;
HOWEVER, I have looked at screenshots and some of the film stills and I have seen no definitive evidence one way or the other. I would like to see some screenshots clarifying what the films' bag buttons were just out of idle curiosity...

Travis
All you had to do is ask buddy! ;)

How's these for some smooth looking snaps?

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu10 ... 20s198.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu10 ... 09s231.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu10 ... 37s103.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu10 ... 22s232.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

The SOC buttons definitely look smooth!
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Yes sir, they sure do. I agree with you though, I still like the look of those textured buttons! I think I'll need to buy a W&G bag soon! =P~
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

It still seems a bit inconclusive judging by those photos - too bad there's not a close up for better reference.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Agreed Nick. Thats why I said the SOC looks smooth. I think they do. However, the idol grab ones appear to have the concentric ring just inside the snap diameter (ala the snap pic I posted above), that would indicate a textured snap. Not saying it is textured, just that those pics are inconclusive. I'm not 100% convinced that EVERY snap was smooth, but I certainly think some were.

Travis
ps. Gotta love this community...where else would a conversation about something as stupid as snap types be going on! :lol: Oh, wait a minute, every channel on TV is covering a stupid wedding. :roll: Never mind...carry on!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well I just pulled the trigger on one of the W&G, mine's ok, but theres been this blank ink stain on top, which has always bugged me. Once I get my new one I'll swap wade strap to it.

But now for the tricky question (Michaelson, cover your eyes) does anyone have the disstressing technique that was posted once on the site. I used to have it, now I no can find.
Found it \:D/ viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37873&p=552103&hilit=bleach#p552103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just look down a few post's. Ironicaly its on eon of my old posts regat the KOTCS back pack. ](*,)
Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Order it on Saturday the 30th (April) so they didn't see it till Monday, been following the DHL shipment and it said it arrived in Boston today, cool. So I figured tommorrow some time, nope showed up today. :shock: Thats fast.
Soaked in water for 30 min, then put in a bucked filled with dirt, water and made a big ol mud pie. Didn't go the bleach rutine this time, just give it some charachter. Couple days and I'll empty it out and let dry. Oh and I did drill wholes in the bucket to let the water drain. Can't wait to see how it turns out. \:D/

Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Looking forward to seeing them, Croft!

Travis
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Tundrarider wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:Love the look of your bag too, Michael! Does yours have the textured buttons as well?
My Waring & Gilbow bag has the smooth snaps, as seen below (with Wade's SOC strap:)

But I like the look of the textured snaps as well, which adorn my "main" Indy bag (with my "collaborative" strap:)

Michael :TOH:
What can you tell me about the "collaborative" strap, Michael?

Did you send your bag to Wade to have the strap put on that way (it is that way in the film, right?)

DHW
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

If anyone has a Waring & Gilbow bag with smooth snaps, and they're looking to trade for a Waring & Gilbow with textured snaps...please let me know. I bought seven of the W & G bags (to go with my seven different straps), and I was hoping for the smooth snaps on all of them...but one (out of seven...not bad odds) came with the textured variety.

It's in pristine, unissued condition and I'd be willing to trade for a W & G with smooth snaps...as long as it's in identical condition. Please PM me, if anyone is interested.
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

My W&G Mk VII Bag arrived today form WPG and I could not be more pleased with the outcome.

Cheers,
W-W
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Tundrarider wrote: Here's a link to Erri's extremely exhaustive and interesting thread on the MarkVII bags and their makers:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37699
Thank you. Regarding the brand and some other questions that were asked in this topic, I quote myself from the thread Tundrarider linked:
RCSignals and VP are very correct. The W&G was mentioned because popped up at an auction (I don't even remember from which film but I believe Last Crusade)... since then it became THE BAG! But really it's not worth any more than the others, they must have had dozens of different brands for the film production. Thanks to some details (snap buttons more often than anything else) you might reduce the range of brands a bit but there is not a single detail will give away one specific brand from scene to scene.

Some like their bags more green, others more "sand" colour. Some people like rigged snap buttons, others flat ones... there is so many models that will fit you taste if you are mad for details... otherwise just ANY bag will do really! (personally I love them all)
What is more important than the brand is finding one in excellent condition as there are many case of rottening with use or even with storage.
FaustianSlip
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FaustianSlip »

Hi all. Been a while since I've posted here, but a couple of quick questions about the bag. I've been looking for a small bag to carry my iPad around in, and I think Indy's gas mask bag might just fit the bill. I don't mind spending a bit extra to get the WPG bag, but what's the consensus on the leather straps they offer? Any good, or is it better to source a leather strap from somewhere else? The twelve dollar surcharge on the WPG site seems pretty reasonable, I have to say.

Also, I'm currently on PCS in China, but I have an FPO/DPO (military postal service) address. Anyone know whether the WPG guys will ship there? I've been scouring their site, but it seems to be pretty short on shipping details.
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

FaustianSlip wrote:Hi all. Been a while since I've posted here, but a couple of quick questions about the bag. I've been looking for a small bag to carry my iPad around in, and I think Indy's gas mask bag might just fit the bill. I don't mind spending a bit extra to get the WPG bag, but what's the consensus on the leather straps they offer? Any good, or is it better to source a leather strap from somewhere else? The twelve dollar surcharge on the WPG site seems pretty reasonable, I have to say.

Also, I'm currently on PCS in China, but I have an FPO/DPO (military postal service) address. Anyone know whether the WPG guys will ship there? I've been scouring their site, but it seems to be pretty short on shipping details.
I’m stationed in Afghanistan and received my Mk VII bag from WPG at my APO with no problem. They ship from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) via DHL to a freight forwarder in New York, New York who handles the customs them forwards to my APO using US Priority Mail. I have received two orders from WPG at my APO with no problems. While the WPG bags are great the straps are not the best. I also have a TODD's bag with strap that is a spot on copy of the Mk VII, you may want to look at one of those since they ship to APO's from California.

Cheers,
W-W
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Isn't the canvas of these bags a bit too rough for carrying an iPad?
FaustianSlip
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FaustianSlip »

Awesome, wild_weasel, thanks for the tip about Todd's. I was considering getting a couple of other things from him, anyway, so maybe I'll just fold it all in. If he's shipping from California, that might get it here a little quicker (not that I should be complaining, since if we didn't have a DPO here, everything would have to go by pouch, which can take a small eternity).

And Erri, I have a relatively thin, folding-style case that goes over my iPad kind of like a book cover; the plan at the moment is to leave that on and then put the iPad in the Mk VII, assuming the room allows for it (looking on the other thread at the photos of what others are putting in their bags, I'd be surprised if that's an issue). My main concern would be the bag itself getting bumped or dropped, since there's not a ton of padding there, but the padding on the case I use with my iPad is probably sufficient. The biggest risk I run in these parts is being run over by a reckless cab driver, in which case the iPad is going to be the least of my worries.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I just checked the size of iPad online, it looks like it might be a very tight fit (if not a fit at all). I suppose someone with an iPad here might post his definitive answer soon enough.
FaustianSlip
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FaustianSlip »

Don't Call Me Junior over on this thread says his iPad was a perfect fit in his Mk VII. Vancouver Vic also said that he uses his to carry his iPad 2, so I'm probably safe. I actually tend to carry my iPhone along with me more often than my iPad, but it'd be nice if it could do both (though really, worst case scenario is that I get one, the iPad doesn't fit, and I just use it whenever I don't need my iPad along, which is still pretty often). After I pull the trigger and actually get the bag, I'll report back with the findings. Heh.

Of course, now the question is whether I just order the bag now or wait a bit to order a couple of other things from Todd while I'm at it. Y'know, just to save on shipping. :[
wpg
Vendor

Post by wpg »

WPG ships everywhere.

ddddd
Erri wrote:
Tundrarider wrote: Here's a link to Erri's extremely exhaustive and interesting thread on the MarkVII bags and their makers:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37699
Thank you. Regarding the brand and some other questions that were asked in this topic, I quote myself from the thread Tundrarider linked:
RCSignals and VP are very correct. The W&G was mentioned because popped up at an auction (I don't even remember from which film but I believe Last Crusade)... since then it became THE BAG! But really it's not worth any more than the others, they must have had dozens of different brands for the film production. Thanks to some details (snap buttons more often than anything else) you might reduce the range of brands a bit but there is not a single detail will give away one specific brand from scene to scene.

Some like their bags more green, others more "sand" colour. Some people like rigged snap buttons, others flat ones... there is so many models that will fit you taste if you are mad for details... otherwise just ANY bag will do really! (personally I love them all)
What is more important than the brand is finding one in excellent condition as there are many case of rottening with use or even with storage.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Man I forgot about this thread, here's a quick pic of my WPG W&G, once it was broken in, it was a soft and flexable as my old one. :-s