I just ordered my Wested!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MaxPlague
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I just ordered my Wested!

Post by MaxPlague »

Sorry, I know these kinda threads probably get rather tedious, but I just ordered my FIRST Wested! I'm so excited about it that I had to share it with everyone here. I'm already counting the days til it arrives. :D

As a new member, I was a bit hesitant to just go ahead and pull the trigger on this purchase. But after reading through the posts here and after talking with Peter and Gerry, and after receiving leather samples from them, I saw no reason to wait any longer.

I'm going for the Raiders style, in Authentic Lamb. Anodised slider buckles with a Nickel Silver zipper. I also added studs for the storm flap with a request that the outer one be hidden if possible. It gets cold here in Minnesota and it will be nice to snap the storm flap shut when needed.

Taking advice from the board here and from Peter and Gerry, I also ordered one size larger (a 44reg instead of a 42reg) to allow for a less restrictive fit. I'm hoping it works out and doesn't look like I'm swimming in it, I do have a slim build but a 42-44 chest. Should be okay though, since I went to a department store and tried on 42reg and 44reg sport coats...both fit okay, but the 44reg felt more comfortable.

One question, do you guys recommend putting Pecards on the Authentic Lamb? I'm not sure what that'll do to the finish.

Regards,
Jace
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

It sounds like the 44 is right for you, if you have a 44" chest. You want to make sure it won't be tight in the shoulders. If you have followed Peter and Gerry's instructions, you really can't go wrong; and they stand behind everything they do.

My advice is: stop counting the days! Because there's going to be a whole lot of them to count. Try, if you can, to forget about it, and one day, it will be there and you'll be psyched :lol: .

Good luck with jacket and I look forward to seeing the photos.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Congratulations! Sounds like you have a winner coming in. Use Pecards Leather Lotion on your new lambskin. It's made for tight grained leathers like lambskin. You can also use Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner if you can find it locally. It does the same job. Regards. Michaelson
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Please do not keep asking for a nickel silver zipper. They are so hard to get, The original was allunminiun painted antique brass and not nickel.
The problem with nickel zips is that with black tape is no problem but brown tape is a special order with a minimum quantity per length and we are talking 3 or 4 different lenghts according to size and heght is a pain.
You want alluminiun no problem but the nickel option is withdrawn.
On the bright side I have found a new tannery for the lambtouch cowhide plus a sample of HORSEHIDE do not rush me and the shirt and pants are nearly on the green light.
Watch this spot
Cheers
Peter
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Thanks for the information Peter. What if we were to supply our own nickel zippers with brown tape? I found a website that sells them individually. Is that an option? Thanks!

Regards, Dr. J
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

How sturdy/strong is the aluminum zipper versus a brass one?
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I had to go look at mine and I think it's brass. It has an interesting weathered look to it and I am 100% satisfied with it.
MaxPlague
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaxPlague »

Sorry about the nickel zipper request, Peter, I had no idea they were so hard to come by. I just saw it listed as an option on your web site, so I didn't give it a second thought. It's really not that big a deal to me, the brass is fine if that's what you recommend. :)

Cheers,
Jace
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

HORSEHIDE?! Alright Peter!! Keep us updated on that for sure! :D

I J
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Grendel »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:How sturdy/strong is the aluminum zipper versus a brass one?
Brass is generally stronger. It depends on the grade of materials used (each type of metal such as brass, aluminum, stainless, etc. has numerous grades), but the basic grade (B16/360) brass has about 25% greater tensile strength than the basic aluminum grade (6061-T6). Brass is also a little over three times the weight of aluminum, so with brass you'll have a sturdier feeling zipper which (IMO) feels and fits a leather jacket better.

I'm in the specialty metals business, and sell both types of materials.

Cheers!

IG
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Grendel »

Also, Brass is quite a bit harder (grade 360 is about 140 or so on the Brinell scale) than aluminum (6061-T6 is about 95). This means than in theory, over a period of time, the aluminum zipper would wear down a lot faster. Again, it depends on what grade of material is used in the manufacture of each, but this all gives you a general idea.

Cheers,

IG
MaxPlague
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaxPlague »

And that, my friends, is why I'm going with the Antique Brass zipper. ;) I'm actually glad that the nickel is no longer offered, I think the brass will look more suited to the jacket.
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Well, I didn't want to start a whole new thread so I figured hijacking this one was the best way to go :lol:

I officially placed an order for my Wested yesterday after fretting for about 2 weeks on the measurements and specifics. I have been haunting around COW long enough to have read many things to take into consideration when wearing... "ride-up," sleeve length, material, color, drape, AHHHHHHH :shock:

Finally, I decided to just do it. I placed several emails back and forth to Peter and Gerry at Wested and after telling them my measurements and how I got em I placed the order... here goes :

Authentic Brown Goatskin Raiders
Arm Gussets
Hidden Elastics
Nylon zip on inside left pocket
Right inside "Grail Diary" pocket
Slightly larger shoulder holes
Extra 1.5" in front

now I just have to sit back and think of ways to waste a month :?

...Oh, and I ordered a Lee Keppler this afternoon.... Next monthshould be inetersting :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good Heavens, Man, when you thow the dice, you go all the way!!! :shock: :wink: Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your new arrivals when they come! High regards. Michaelson
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

I figure the best way to start anything is with a strong foot forward... So just in case the ground starts to fall out from under you at least you have that momentum! :lol:
Torpedo Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Torpedo Jones »

:D :D :D HORSEHIDE :D :D :D
I have A2 Horsehide and is very beautiful,resistant and light.
I hope that Peter should have soon.
SAB
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SAB »

HORSEHIDE !!!
Torpedo Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Torpedo Jones »

I use my A2 Horsehide to work,and made sure to you that it assembles these requisites.
I suppose that inside the Horsehide they will be different qualities.
My experience, I have is A2 ( ROUGH WEAR 1401 ) of Eastman.

Regards.