Nylon whip core, BBs, ball chain, e-cord???

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JeffB »

OK, I'm getting ready to start making my first nylon whip and I have a few questions. I plan on using a BB loaded core. Most of the tutorials I have seen use multiple ball chain cores of different length to get some tapered weight, or they use electrical cord and drop out wires to get the taper.

The BB core ones that I have seen just use a single core of BBs, but this doesn't seem to get the taper started in the core and relys in tape to get the taper going.

I am trying to avoid using either electrical or duct tape as they both seem to break down over time.

Would it be too heavy to use 3 BB loaded cores of different lengths to get the tapered weight?

Thanks
riku1914
Vendor

Re: Nylon whip core, BBs, ball chain, e-cord???

Post by riku1914 »

JeffB wrote:OK, I'm getting ready to start making my first nylon whip and I have a few questions. I plan on using a BB loaded core. Most of the tutorials I have seen use multiple ball chain cores of different length to get some tapered weight, or they use electrical cord and drop out wires to get the taper.

The BB core ones that I have seen just use a single core of BBs, but this doesn't seem to get the taper started in the core and relys in tape to get the taper going.

I am trying to avoid using either electrical or duct tape as they both seem to break down over time.

Would it be too heavy to use 3 BB loaded cores of different lengths to get the tapered weight?

Thanks
use lead shot, and the shot bag you make, before putting anything in it, taper it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiO27UtODbU

lead shot anywhere from number 8-12 is what i recommend. If you don't ahve a strip of leather like he used, make a duct tape

bag, using 2 strips of tape, to make it where there is no sticky side, then using one piece like he did. :TOH:
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

I use the ball chain. I think it ends up a bit lighter than the other ways but it works just fine.
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

I generally use a single bb-loaded strand of sinker cord and build my tapers by adding a couple of other pieces of regular paracord for the core. Also, the bb's only run about half the length of the whip so the whip will also taper as I drop more strands.

Happy Cracking,

Ryan :whip:
JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JeffB »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using a BB loaded paracord core. I am making a 7ft whip for my son. 8" spike with a BB core going out about 42". 8 plait first belly and plan on running it out to about 4.25'. Once that's done, I plan on a 12 plait belly out to 5.5' then the final 16 plait out to 7'.

So far I have the core and started the first belly. I survived my first drop from 8 to 6 strands and have made it out about 3'.

Wish me luck.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

JeffB wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using a BB loaded paracord core. I am making a 7ft whip for my son. 8" spike with a BB core going out about 42". 8 plait first belly and plan on running it out to about 4.25'. Once that's done, I plan on a 12 plait belly out to 5.5' then the final 16 plait out to 7'.

So far I have the core and started the first belly. I survived my first drop from 8 to 6 strands and have made it out about 3'.

Wish me luck.
check this out real quick :

http://www.em-brand-whips.com/insidebull.htm

also for a 7' whip, a shot loaded core i would have recommended it going about 26-30", but since it's already done it should be fine.

( it might feel kind of heavy is why i'm saying, but it should still come out fine as long as your plaiting very tight. Also you

probably know this but i thought i'd throw in because i didn't know this when i started using paracord, but you need to remove

the middle 7 or 8 strands of the paracord before you plait to make it flat, again you probably know this but i thought i'd throw it

in as a JUST IN CASE you didn't know it,)

you going to post pics when you done?
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Hey JeffB,

For the BB loaded core, did you use the standard paracord, or get some of the larger "sinker cord?"
For the life of me I can't imagine jamming all those BB's into the 1/8 paracord... ](*,)

Base on another discusssion here somewhere, I did find this stuff,
http://www.electriduct.com/PET-Expandab ... eving.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
It's nylon, expandable, and thin enough to not stiffen the whip too much.
JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JeffB »

Thanks,
Yes, I jammed the BBs into standard 550 paracord. It took about 3 hours, but I did it while watching a movie so it wasn't too bad. The first dozen or so I did by hand and it was really slow. For the rest I got them into the cord, then clipped a ball point pen over the cord and use it to slide the BBs down. Much faster and easier on the thumbs.

I did take out the center strands. And there is still about 8" of BB core still exposed. Do you think I should chop it off? I ended up dropping from 8 to 6 pretty early on the first belly and now the strands are cut so I can't undo it. I dropped down at the 1ft mark. Now I'll have to carry the 6 for 2' instead of 1.

Also my 6 plait isn't looking right. I have three strands on each side and I pull around the back then go under 2 over 1 on each side. When I look at the braid after having done this for about a foot it looks like the strands are 02, u2, 01, u1

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

JeffB wrote:Thanks,
Yes, I jammed the BBs into standard 550 paracord. It took about 3 hours, but I did it while watching a movie so it wasn't too bad. The first dozen or so I did by hand and it was really slow. For the rest I got them into the cord, then clipped a ball point pen over the cord and use it to slide the BBs down. Much faster and easier on the thumbs.

I did take out the center strands. And there is still about 8" of BB core still exposed. Do you think I should chop it off? I ended up dropping from 8 to 6 pretty early on the first belly and now the strands are cut so I can't undo it. I dropped down at the 1ft mark. Now I'll have to carry the 6 for 2' instead of 1.

Also my 6 plait isn't looking right. I have three strands on each side and I pull around the back then go under 2 over 1 on each side. When I look at the braid after having done this for about a foot it looks like the strands are 02, u2, 01, u1

6 plait, when doing under 2 over 1, looks like diamond on 1 side, and herringbone on the other, i've found if you do under 1 over 2

it looks normal on each side.

edit: I like it how you said you did that while watching a movie :lol: I braid wrist loops when i'm watching tv or movies because

it is often painfully slow ](*,)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I've always used regular old .177 cal. BBs stuffed into a strand of 1/8" paracord (and it is absolutely my least favorite part of making a whip).

Just took deliver of 100 feet of 3/8" sinker cord from Barre Army.
The cord itself only cost $0.13 per foot, but, their shipping charges are a little out of whack. They charge $11.32 shipping whether you are buying 1 or up to 200 feet :-s

I tried putting a few BBs in and, Halleluah!!
I almost cried it was so easy to use.......
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Thanks for telling about that sinker cord, i've been looking for wider paracord, and now i've found some, will probably only use to make the overlay easier though since it's kind of on the pricey side when it comes to alot of it.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I wouldn't use this stuff for whipmaking (with exception of the core).
It is just to wide at three time the width of the 550 cord and only comes in olive drab (not too keen on making a 5plt, green nylon whip :-0 )

They do also sell some 1/4" sinker cord, but, I still think it would be a little on the wide side.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

kwad wrote:I wouldn't use this stuff for whipmaking (with exception of the core).
It is just to wide at three time the width of the 550 cord and only comes in olive drab (not too keen on making a 5plt, green nylon whip :-0 )

They do also sell some 1/4" sinker cord, but, I still think it would be a little on the wide side.
1/4" is 6mm, perfect for a 16 plait overlay, plus i'm going to sell a nylon whip to a friend who wants it in that color :-0 but that's

what he wants, so i'll use it for him.
classicbullwhips
Vendor

Post by classicbullwhips »

I will try and make a video this weekend about an easy way to get the BB's into 550 paracord that is fast and easy on the fingers, I figured it out about 2 years ago and was amazed at the time savings and simplicity. Sorry for the teaser just stay tuned for the video.

Keep Crackin,
James

PS - For those of you who can't wait here is a little hint, all you need is a fork.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

classicbullwhips wrote:...For those of you who can't wait here is a little hint, all you need is a fork.
](*,)
You know, I read this thread yesterday, getting ready to make a snakewhip as a Finger Lakes give-away, and completely missed that line!

I was going to use the pen cap method and realized that the crimp section of my AMP wire strippers,
worked great for sliding the BB's down the cord (550 paracord.)
I was able to fill a 2 foot section in about 30 minutes.
I used a chopstick to funnel out the opening a bit.

Then I came back here and noticed that fork comment!
Did I mention ](*,) ?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Dalexs wrote:
classicbullwhips wrote:...For those of you who can't wait here is a little hint, all you need is a fork.
](*,)
You know, I read this thread yesterday, getting ready to make a snakewhip as a Finger Lakes give-away, and completely missed that line!

I was going to use the pen cap method and realized that the crimp section of my AMP wire strippers,
worked great for sliding the BB's down the cord (550 paracord.)
I was able to fill a 2 foot section in about 30 minutes.
I used a chopstick to funnel out the opening a bit.

Then I came back here and noticed that fork comment!
Did I mention ](*,) ?
Wire Strippers, that's a good idea I should have thought of that :lol:
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... D=prd36705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check this out same as sinker cord but in a cotton shell most jo ann stores stock this I got some for .99 a yard and made one whip so far with its and its worked great .
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

riku1914 wrote: Also my 6 plait isn't looking right. I have three strands on each side and I pull around the back then go under 2 over 1 on each side. When I look at the braid after having done this for about a foot it looks like the strands are 02, u2, 01, u1

6 plait, when doing under 2 over 1, looks like diamond on 1 side, and herringbone on the other, i've found if you do under 1 over 2

it looks normal on each side. ](*,)
I'm pretty sure this is what you meant about the 6 plait pattern, but just to be certain... with a six strand plait the pattern is U1-O2 on one side (it doesn't matter which) and U2-O1 on the other. This evens things out and the plait bends equally in any direction, provided your core is good of course; by this I mean that with leather strands as a core, if you stack up the strands one on top of the other it will form a square-shape and this will bend well along the length of the strands, but not very well side-to-side... But this may all be moot with paracord since it is so flexible. But always plait with a core, otherwise you end up with a hollow plait that has no support.

Franco
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

hit80s wrote:http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... D=prd36705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check this out same as sinker cord but in a cotton shell most jo ann stores stock this I got some for .99 a yard and made one whip so far with its and its worked great .
I'd be a bit concerned over the long term durability of the cotton but interested to know how it fares.
But always plait with a core, otherwise you end up with a hollow plait that has no support.
Is this standard operating proceducre with nylon whips?
The tutorial I was following has the core strands being removed for al of the plaiting.
I'm just doing the belly now, so I'm in a good spot to try something different on the overlays.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Dalexs wrote:
hit80s wrote:http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... D=prd36705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check this out same as sinker cord but in a cotton shell most jo ann stores stock this I got some for .99 a yard and made one whip so far with its and its worked great .
I'd be a bit concerned over the long term durability of the cotton but interested to know how it fares.
But always plait with a core, otherwise you end up with a hollow plait that has no support.
Is this standard operating proceducre with nylon whips?
The tutorial I was following has the core strands being removed for al of the plaiting.
I'm just doing the belly now, so I'm in a good spot to try something different on the overlays.
He doesn't mean the paracord core strands, he means plaiting over something, like another strand in the middle of your plaiting.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

"He doesn't mean the paracord core strands, he means plaiting over something, like another strand in the middle of your plaiting."

Yes exactly.

Franco
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

D'oh!

That's what I get for breezing thru threads...
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Dalexs wrote:D'oh!

I feel ya, I miss things all the time spped reading.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

riku1914 wrote:

And possibly speed typing as well. :[
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

kwad wrote:
riku1914 wrote:

And possibly speed typing as well. :[
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I type over 100 wpm but I do mess up on double letters a lot of the time because by the time the second letter is pushed the next

few have already done so :lol: