Comparing Webley Replica Holsters

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Hakaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Comparing Webley Replica Holsters

Post by Hakaider »

Aloha everyone!

In terms of the Webley replica holster versions, there are currently 4 different versions from 4 different companies. ( Sorry, if I missed a few others.)

IMA, WPG, NH, and LK has produced replicas of the Webley holsters with different price ranges.

Are the NH and LK holsters the top of the line models?

What's your opinion regarding the four versions?

In your opinion, which do you think is the best replica holster for a Indy costume?

Thanks everyone. :)
AZIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AZIndy »

Heya, I honestly didnt do a lot of comparing, I just went and ordered the IMA holster, and personally I love it. I think it has a unique look to it among all the other holsters I have. What personally attracts me to it is the back belt loop, which is more of a detatchable flap than just a loop sewn onto the holster itself like the Kepler. Now whats really dissapointing about the IMA holster is the very light brown it comes in, Heres a few pics to show what I mean, Ive also thrown in a couple of guns I have for comparison. The IMA holster shown on the main gear websight is alot darker than the one they are sending out now. I think this is important for people to know since IMA doesnt post an actual picture of the product ont heir site, its merely a drawing of a British soldier! Still, despite this I love it, its a nice sturdy holster.

the holster with a S&W .38 (bottom) and a .45 Cobra

the .38 in the holster

The back

hope this helps some!
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

The N.Howard Webley gun holster is very good ! dark brown leather...very LC accurate !
falconau
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by falconau »

These holsters look like they're built for a 6 inch barrel, which I guess was the standard military issue, at that time.
Do these holsters tend to swallow a 4 inch Webley, as Indy had, or is it a neat fit?
They appear to be quite large holsters, and I think my .38 S&W or .357 Python would get lost in one of these.
AZIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AZIndy »

Yeah they do tend to swallow some guns, as can be seen with the .38 pictured above in the holster, the grip barely sticks out! A quick drawing holster it is not...I havnt found an actual webley to try in it though.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

Lee Keppler makes an LC Webley holster now? I thought he only made the Raiders short holster. Can anyone give out any information on this and does anyone have any pics? Thanks.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

First off, the holster Lee makes is a replica of the custom holster made for the Smith HE in Raiders. It is not for a Webley. I own one from each of the suppliers and I have to say that Lee's is by far the best in terms of quality. Lee can make a custom holster to fit a Webley or any other large frame revolver but his standard holster is for the cut-down Smith in ROTLA.

The darker version IMA is a good substitute for the TOD and LC holsters but they are not entirely screen accurate. The strap is too low and the belt loop isn't right. It has been theorized around here that the TOD holster was a black police-issue Webley holster and that the LC was a standard dark-brown British Army-issue calvary holster ... but the jury is still out.

The MBA holster is very high quality but, IMHO, not as screen-accurate as Lee's. It is patterned after the Raiders holster.

In my collection, I have the Keppler for ROTLA, the dark brown IMA for TOD, and a real WWI British Army holster for LC.

I fiind that the real Webley holsters are a better match for TOD and LC, so I'm on the lookout for a black police version.

The Webley holsters DO swallow up the gun. Even the large frame Mark VI. Definitely NOT a fast draw holster. That is why some soldiers were known to cut the area around the handle and trigger for ease in drawing the weapon.

One more thing, several people I've talked to, who know a thing or two about guns, believe that the holster in LC was custom made for the film ... not actual war-issue.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

All the holsters I have seen look better than the one I received from IMA.

This one looks so weak and light colored. I am afraid to put a gun into it.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I just got an IMA Webley holster and thought it was pretty nice. I did dye it black thou.... so it looks more ToD and LC. Dyed it, then Pecarded it and it's right on for me! My Webley replica fits in it great too!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Hmmmm.....I know! I can take the color from distressing my jacket and apply it to the holster.

That's funny, we get something that is light, we want it dark. We get something dark, we want it light.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Michaelson just recently announced a new Pecards formula that has coloring agents in it. He says it's not a dye, but I wonder how much their brown (or maybe even the black) might darken the lighter colored holsters to make it a darker brown.

http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... .php?t=536
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Michaelson just recently announced a new Pecards formula that has coloring agents in it. He says it's not a dye, but I wonder how much their brown (or maybe even the black) might darken the lighter colored holsters to make it a darker brown.

http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... .php?t=536
Great idea! :idea: Good job on taking info from one topic and using in another. {Pyro shakes his head in disbelief that the idea didn't occur to him sooner.}
AZIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AZIndy »

Hey can anyone post a step-by-step dye process for the holster? Id love to get mine afew shades darker.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Pecard the heck out of it! Inside and out. These IMA holsters REALLY need it bad. They are extremely dry and stiff.

I have one of the light brown holsters and it seems to me that the color is sort of painted on ... not dyed. Take a close look at the cross section and the texture of the finish and you'll see what I mean. Their earlier, darker holster was not like this. I took a little sandpaper to a small corner and the color came right off. I think they are going even cheaper in their production standards. :roll:

Still, it's not bad for the price. Just needs a little work.

However, there are deals to be found on eBay for the real thing. You just have to keep looking. With the exception of Lee's holster, I always prefer the real deal. :wink:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

What has IMA done to thier holster, I thought it was a Raiders holster there for a moment, my IMA holster dark brown, they have made serious leather change since I got mine a long while back, I would recommend leather conditioner, along with some sort of colored conditioner in a dark brown would help it along!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Chamorro wrote: However, there are deals to be found on eBay for the real thing.
I just found a nice Webley leather holster on eBay. I will post some pics when I get it in.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

here is pic of my IMA holster, it's the one on the right.

Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Nice distressing job josh! :D
Hakaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Postal rates

Post by Hakaider »

* Scratches head*

Here's what stumps me about the shipping rates with the IMA holsters...

( No offense is intended of course to IMA.)

The average shipping charge for the continental United States is $5.50 plus $1 for each item.

The shipping charge for Hawaii is $11.00 plus $2 each additional item.

The info in their website lists "All packages are shipped Surface Parcel Post. Call for Air Parcel Post or UPS."

( UPS charges extra for Hawaii?)

Last time I checked, Hawaii IS a STATE and part of the United States. The U.S. postal shipping rates are EXACTLY the same whether you are from Hawaii, Nevada, New York or Alabama.

No offense is intended to any Canadians, but I think it's a bit peculiar when a U.S. State gets charged the same rate as a different country.

( IMA charges the same shipping rate with Canada and Hawaii.)

The store address for IMA is New Jersey so the items are being sent from a United States address instead of an overseas address. ( I do hope that the New Jersey U.S. Post office that IMA uses knows that Hawaii IS a State.)

*Shrugs & scratches head again*
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

The brown vans can't drive over water therefore it has to go by air. The air charges are outrageous for UPS. You're better off sending something Priority. Much cheaper as it is subsidized by Joe Public. I'm sure Alaska, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam are likewise penalized even though they are part of the U.S. If you send stuff through the U.S. Mail to these places, it costs the same as sending across town ... at least a first class envelope does.
Hakaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

UPS driving over water

Post by Hakaider »

Ah, so they ship it by UPS air instead of the Postal service? That would explain the unequal charge.

The U.S. Post office air rates for Hawaii and the continental U.S. is the same, no matter how big or heavy the packege is. UPS on the other hand may be a whole different matter.

You know it's funny because when I would go to the mainland, ( The continental U.S.) there would actually be people who would ask us " Was it was long drive from Hawaii?"
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Stupid haoles my brudda. Stupid haoles. :wink:
Hakaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

LOL!

Post by Hakaider »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Here is a pic of the holster I got on eBay. It's nice. You can tell it has been used because there is the impression from a gun on the holster.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Pecards brown...

Post by Michaelson »

.....I did mention that the product could be used for other things in the post, but will 'ghost' post the discussion of the new Pecards brown over here as well so you can read about it. You can now find the discussion in this section titled 'New Pecard product'. Regards. Michaelson