Wested Lining Options?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested Lining Options?

Post by ron521 »

If you were going to order a Wested, which lining would you select?
Full satin?
Cotton with satin sleeves?
Or full cotton?
Which would you find most comfortable?
Which would you expect to be most durable?
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested Lining Options?

Post by kwad »

I've had both full satin and full cotton.
While the satin was more soft and comfy (also easier to get the jacket on/off), it didn't hold up very well.
It pilled up and ran pretty quickly.

The cotton has held up great, and has softened with time.
My only gripe is you have to hold onto your cuffs when putting the jacket on over a long sleeve shirt (no biggie).

If I bought another Wested today, I'd go with the all cotton again.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I've had all satin and cotton with satin sleeves. I prefer the latter. I don't care for the look or feel of a satin lining - but it's good for sleeves.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Cotton body, satin sleeves. The satin in good for sliding the arms in and out of the jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

True, if you wear a lot of long sleeve shirts.

If you wear short sleeves a lot, then satin sleeve lining is 'the devil'. :twisted:

When it comes to Wested, all cotton for this writer.

Regards! Michaelson
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I like Cotton body, satin sleeves. The satin does tend to come out of the cuff as the sleeve wrinkle form. I've noticed this on all my satin sleeves jackets no big deal though. :-k
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I personally would get custom lining. I have had cotton and satin sleeves. The satin frays. The cotton is fairly thin. I would get a good nylon like the TN or G&B jackets. Assuming you don't mind about screen accuracy. Or ask Peter to source a tough cotton drill.
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Wested Lining Options?

Post by Arca Perdida »

I have a wested rola all cotton lining and my only gripe is that I have holes in both armpits and while I wear it almost daily, I'm usually not making any drastic moves.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Think of it this way. A well-made leather jacket lasts a long time - 20 to 30 years and more. The lining should last too. Top quality jackets are made with top quality lining. It should last without real wear for many years. I have 3 biker's jacket over 10 years old the lining in them shows little wear. I reckon a good lining should hold up for 8-10 years without issue.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

My old Wested goat had the cotton body with the satin sleeves. I kinda miss that. I'm not to much of a fan of the all satin lining because the jacket tends to slide around a lot. Never had a jacket with an all cotton body. I can't imagine that would be to comfortable to wear in warmer weather. :-k

Anyway, I give my :tup: to the cotton/satin combo. :TOH:
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

_ wrote: Never had a Wested lining make it to the first anniversary. Never.
Yeah, on mine, one pit went the first year and the other shortly after. I have to be careful when I put my arms in so my hands don't get caught in the tear and rip it even more.
I like the jacket otherwise. Anyone know if replacing the liner locally (US) would be expensive or complicated for this pattern?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Arca Perdida wrote:
_ wrote: Never had a Wested lining make it to the first anniversary. Never.
Yeah, on mine, one pit went the first year and the other shortly after. I have to be careful when I put my arms in so my hands don't get caught in the tear and rip it even more.
I like the jacket otherwise. Anyone know if replacing the liner locally (US) would be expensive or complicated for this pattern?
In Australia I was quoted 100 bucks for a good cotton drill lining for my wested. It's straight forward. The G&B however is different because the lining is more compex in cut made to move with the flaps and folds of the jacket.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Of all my jackets the only one that has had the lining replaced is the 1st jacket I have it's about 6 years old. It was a satin liner, I wore it every day, near enough, for 2 years. It didn't tear or anything like that, I literally wore 2 x 1" slits in the bottom of the back vent sides, must have been wearing away that part when driving.

Cotton seems to be more abrasion resistant most my other jackets are all cotton and don't show any wear through.

I managed to goad Peter into making my LC with a black cotton twill liner, that seems very strong.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Wested do a nylon lining in there version of the ToD jacket. I've only had mine a couple of weeks, so I can't realy say much about it,but it looks strong to me. You may be able to get them to do a jacket liner in this material.

On a side note the Wested Temple jacke has the bi-swing in the liner,problem is the yoke is so low it doesn't work in the shell or liner :rolling: .
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

I have a full satin and another cotton body/satin sleeves.
The satin body tends to slide too much, while the cotton body sits and fits better, I found it more comfy. But for the sleeves I still prefer the satin...

:TOH:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiana Dymond wrote:Wested do a nylon lining in there version of the ToD jacket. I've only had mine a couple of weeks, so I can't realy say much about it,but it looks strong to me. You may be able to get them to do a jacket liner in this material.

On a side note the Wested Temple jacke has the bi-swing in the liner,problem is the yoke is so low it doesn't work in the shell or liner :rolling: .
That's very different to Peter's ususal lining, so perhaps this is how th eNH jaacket looked and he has even copied the lining.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

When it comes to Wested, all cotton for this writer.
Ditto that, Michaelson! Maybe it's just the climate down here, but I don't mind pinching my long-sleeved Indy cuffs to remain comfortably jacketed in the south. A slight inconvenience for the heat and humidity, it becomes as second-nature as pulling up Wested's left-hand zippers once you get used to it.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

CM wrote:
Indiana Dymond wrote:Wested do a nylon lining in there version of the ToD jacket. I've only had mine a couple of weeks, so I can't realy say much about it,but it looks strong to me. You may be able to get them to do a jacket liner in this material.

That's very different to Peter's ususal lining, so perhaps this is how th eNH jaacket looked and he has even copied the lining.

My understanding is Peter wanted to copy the jacket 100% to keep people like us happy.The only option on the jacket is nylon as that was what the sample was :TOH: .

But this de-rails things a bit. the nylon looks a good strong material for the lining,but would probably be a bit hot for you guys who are lucky enough to live somewhere warm and get more than three sunny weekends a year!!!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiana Dymond wrote:
CM wrote:

My understanding is Peter wanted to copy the jacket 100% to keep people like us happy.The only option on the jacket is nylon as that was what the sample was :TOH: .

But this de-rails things a bit. the nylon looks a good strong material for the lining,but would probably be a bit hot for you guys who are lucky enough to live somewhere warm and get more than three sunny weekends a year!!!
Interesting. Yes it can be warm here - awful actually. But Melbourne winters are freezing! Jumpers, overcoats, scarves, woolen caps. A ToD with a jumper/sweater underneath is just the ticket!
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

I have the custom Raiders jacket with cotton body and satin sleeves. However, after only wearing it about 8 times, the sating sleeves shredded along the seems. I emailed them about seeing if they could send me some cotton material to replace the existing sleeves and never heard back. Instead, I just had my mom, who is an accomplished seamstress, resew and reinforce the existing seems in each sleeve. Hopefully, they will not shred again, or I will just have her replace the sleeve lining with a more durable material.