Straw Hat Season Again (Eddie Bauer)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Straw Hat Season Again (Eddie Bauer)

Post by Mark Brody »

I got myself a straw hat from Eddie Bauer about 4 years ago. While it's accumulated some sweat stains, it has held up pretty well. This is a picture of it when it was new. It turns out, they're back in this season too! If you're looking for a good straw fedora, and don't want to shell out $150 for a Peters Bros, this is probably your best bet. You'll get a lot more wear out of it that the DP Straw Indy, too.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... l=null&pg=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Straw Hat Season Again (Eddie Bauer)

Post by Michaelson »

Nice looking hat there! :M: :tup:

I THOUGHT we were getting into straw hat season here, and actually had my PB straw hanging on my hall tree for today when I saw the weather forecast for the week.

It was in the 90's all weekend, now we have thunderstorms rolling in, and they're predicting we'll be in the 50's here as a daytime high by NEXT weekend. :shock:

The PB straw went back in it's box. :roll:

Oh, it's the PB customs that run $150. Their standard straws run $80.

Regards! Michaelson
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Not ready for that yet here in Idaho but this will be a nice entry into straw hats for me. Hard to find anything other than cowboy hats around here. Thanks for the info!
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I don't see a whole lot of pics of the PB straw around here, though it looks like a very nice hat. Where'd you find the $80 on their website? All I can find in terms of "Indy" straw hats is the $150 custom.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

http://www.pbhats.com/PB_DRESS_STRAW/Default.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also carry Dobbs and Stetson straws too. Check the left hand side bar icons and click on the different straw offerings.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

Mark Brody wrote:I got myself a straw hat from Eddie Bauer about 4 years ago. While it's accumulated some sweat stains, it has held up pretty well. This is a picture of it when it was new. It turns out, they're back in this season too! If you're looking for a good straw fedora, and don't want to shell out $150 for a Peters Bros, this is probably your best bet. You'll get a lot more wear out of it that the DP Straw Indy, too.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... l=null&pg=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice! How tall a crown & what does the brim measure, if you please?
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

The brim measure 2 3/4. The crown is difficult to measure. Without the top bashed in, it seems to be about 6 inches. Bashed, it's about 5. Either way, the hat is so floppy and stretchy (yes, stretchy) even using a tape measure, these are my best estimates.

Here are some pictures I took of the hat as it is today. I replaced the fake leather band with a cheap polyester grosgrain ribbon, but this was just a matter of personal preference - the fake leather band was a bit of an eyesore.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Now THAT photo is a MUCH better one than the first one, no offense.

That looks like a well used and loved straw hat. Good call on the replacement of the leather band. It may even be a bit cooler with that off there.

NICE looking hat, my friend!

HIGH regards !Michaelson
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

I have a PB CS Straw I got around 2 years ago. Will post pics on this thread. It is my only straw though. I like this hat. May have to pick one up.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

My PB straw is the only I own as well, and got it when they first came out (it's the prototype, actually)

I, too, am thinking about looking into acquiring something a bit different to add to the stable myself for this summer. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

This thread reminds me I never posted a picture of the Indy Panama from the Angelo Collection that I bought in 2008. I think I have a picture somewhere. I need to look.

Matt
Rosenet
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rosenet »

Hi,

I just picked up one of these at Eddie Bauer near Boston yesterday. The brim is a bit uneven and the bash is far from screen accurate. <grin>

Any suggestions for how to re-shape this hat? Steam iron and hand shape?

-NB
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Throw it in a bathtub of hot water, bunch it up in your hands, sit on it, throw it across the room, put in back on your head and shape it as you wear it. It's not ever going to have screen accurate dimensions. Unless you go for the PB Straw Indy, you will probably never find a straw hat with Indy dimensions, but I found that the EB hat is durable, malleable, and very affordable. You'll likely have to let the back of the brim flop down too since the straw may not be stiff enough to hold an upward curl. I guess in that respect, it's more of a "Young Indy" hat.