The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues.

Post by BendingOak »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I can now consider myself a proper member of the Penman Club. Monday afternoon my custom fedora arrived at work. I would have posted this sooner, but I wanted to wait for sunny weather for the sake of taking proper pictures.

First off, I know I am not the first to communicate in great lengths the changing desires and specs of a single hat, yet John provided feedback and advice from the beginning and countless brainstorm sessions were always fruitful. I had an idea of how I wanted this hat to be from the start, but many conversations with John (some about hats, even!) helped to narrow down the details. Most importantly, I did not want another Indy hat. I have enough Indy hats. As great as an Indy fedora is, it is not the end-all-be-all. Sorry, kids, but variety is the spice of life and like the flavor of it. This was to be a pure binkmeister fedora; something special, something unique.

I went through my collection of hats and knew I wanted something along the lines of several of my vintage favorites. After settling on the felt color and rocking back and forth on the brim and crown specs for a while, I proceeded to search for the right ribbon. I was able to score some nice

vintage light copper ribbon as well as some trim ribbon which matched the color of the felt. I also Photoshopped a number of mock ups of the ribbon design, as I wanted to design a bow equally classic and unique.

The original plan was that the hat would have a bound brim matching the trim ribbon used as the accent color in the bow, but as John is still waiting on two specialized screws for the brim sewing attachment, we decided it best to proceed without the bound brim at this time. Should bound brims finally become a reality, the hat will return for its final touch.

The final result of countless conversations and brainstorming is a fedora of which John himself is jealous. He wants my hat! If that isn't the biggest compliment, I don't know what is. The ribbon and felt color complement each other superbly. The bow detail is subtle, yet stylish. The only thing which could make this hat better for me is if it had the bound brim, but even at that, this hat is a stunner. I am beyond pleased.

The hat is beautifully made. I compared the pounce job to a number of hats, and right out of the box, it's a nose ahead of my Crystal Skull Adventurebilt. It also feels nicer than a vintage Borsalino in my collection. VERY impressive. Of the modern hats I've handled or owned, both Indy and otherwise, John's pouncing skill is at the top of the list. His touch harkens back to vintage fedoras. (By far, the absolute softest fedora I own is my very first AB, an early production run which has been on countless adventures. I have a feeling that in time this Penman will match the buttery softness of that particular hat.) The sweat is set and stitched perfect in every way, down to the tiny bow. The execution of the ribbon and bow is stunning.

The brim has the right amount of floppiness to it, as if it's already been broken in. There's enough "movement" in the felt to allow me to easily style the brim or the crown. I ordered it with a C-dent crown, which I tweaked slightly to taste. After all, this is a binkmeister hat!

The fedora also came in the beautiful hat box made specifically for John by Sarah's Hatboxes. This is no wimpy box! It is heavy, sturdy, and covered in a nice black leatherette material. The Penman logo is nicely silkscreened on top. I wish all my hat boxes could be this nice. There's no question that it will protect your hat! However, there is only one small issue I have with this box. A number of vintage hat boxes in my collection have an insert with the "ring" part-way down the tube the hat rests within. This allows the brim of the hat to rest over the tube, retaining any curves in the brim. The Penman box has this ring flush to the top of the tube, which means the entire brim rests against the ring, flattening it in storage. I asked John about this (so this doesn't come as a surprise to him) and he said his original hat boxes had the ring placed further down as I prefer them, but that he received complaints about the placement of it. More people apparently wanted it the other way, so he had them made flush to the top of the tube as they are now. Fear not, though, for if you prefer to have the vintage style insert, all you have to do is flip the existing one over and it will work fine. That, or you could just make an additional higher sleeve to fit inside the original. Easy fix. So, in essence, you can have your hat box either way without fuss.

If anyone has been on the fence about ordering a hat from John, you will not be disappointed! What's more, you can get an Indy hat from every vendor here (it is, after all an Indiana Jones site) but how many of them offer something outside that box? Penman is among the few, and he does a fantastic job of creating a classic fedora, regardless of style. This new hat is already among the best in my collection. Thank you for my fedora, John.

On to the pics!

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I know how everyone liked this hat I made for Bink but I couldn't replicate it because I only had enough ribbon to make this hat. I know have a color close to this called rust in both 1 1/2 inches and 1 3/4 inches. The brown color ribbon for the knot I have as well.

John
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

John, can you post some pics of these?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Texan Scott wrote:John, can you post some pics of these?
The hat I can't. I haven't made any as of yet. The ribbon may be tuff but will give it a shot.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

That hat is still going strong, John, and is in frequent rotation. Folks, I personally sourced the vintage ribbon for this hat and gave John just enough for my hat. It's a very unique color that I haven't seen quite matched elsewhere. I specifically wanted this hat to remain as unique and a true one of a kind! ;)
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

THAT is truly a hat to be envious of :clap:
Congratulations to Bink for the very cool ribbon, and to John for such a great creation!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

My wife just called me to tell me that a package from Penman Hats arrived today. That should be my father-in-law's CS train hat. :clap:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Luke Warmwater wrote:My wife just called me to tell me that a package from Penman Hats arrived today. That should be my father-in-law's CS train hat. :clap:
That's good to hear! I'm hoping my CS train hat arrives today, too. Please share photos if you get a chance!

:TOH: Best wishes,
NS

UPDATE: It came! I'm enjoying it already. I'll try and get some photos tomorrow when dressed up for church. :TOH:
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

Last edited by Luke Warmwater on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Beautiful. A real work of art.

:)

Keep 'em coming, John.

DHW
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

That's gorgeous, Luke!
:clap:

Congrats to your Father-In-Law...
I'm sure he loves it!
Dr. Nebraska S.

Outstanding, Luke Warmwater! I bet your father-in-law is going to love it as much as I'm loving mine. :D

Here's a couple photos of mine from this morning (it just arrived this past Friday):

IMO, John's craftsmanship on this hat is right up there with Steve's craftsmanship of my AB. Between my Penman gray CS Traveler, and my Adventurebilt brown CS fedora, I'm set for any of my outfits!

NS
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Man, that thing is perfect! Well done!

Enjoy, Nebraska!

DHW
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

All these photos look stunning.. Seriously good hat-making..

Based on all these photos and Mitch LaRue's great hat, I just ordered from John as well.. (Well, a couple of weeks back).. So, in about a half year I'll be joining the ranks! I asked for a granite grey Raiders.. Since I loved what Fox was sporting in the earlier photos.. Real classic style...
I can't wait! :TOH:
Dr. Nebraska S.

DarenHenryW wrote:Man, that thing is perfect! Well done!

Enjoy, Nebraska!

DHW
Thank you, Daren! It was a pleasure to see your granite fedora in person at the QM summit. :TOH:
fifthchamber wrote:All these photos look stunning.. Seriously good hat-making..

Based on all these photos and Mitch LaRue's great hat, I just ordered from John as well.. (Well, a couple of weeks back).. So, in about a half year I'll be joining the ranks! I asked for a granite grey Raiders.. Since I loved what Fox was sporting in the earlier photos.. Real classic style...
I can't wait! :TOH:
Thank you, fifthchamber--I think you will enjoy it quite a lot once it arrives. :TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Wow Nebraska that looks great! John really does some great work! And I agree, his work is on par with Steve (and far above a DP :lol: )

I can't wait to get my grey CS fedora from Steve!
Dr. Nebraska S.

jnicktem wrote:Wow Nebraska that looks great! John really does some great work! And I agree, his work is on par with Steve (and far above a DP :lol: )

I can't wait to get my grey CS fedora from Steve!
Thank you, jnickterm! Please be sure to share images of your gray CS fedora when it arrives from AB!

NS
Dr. Nebraska S.

Tundrarider wrote:Congratulations, Nebraska!!! :D

Looks great on you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Michael :TOH:

Thank you, Michael! :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

fifthchamber wrote:Based on all these photos and Mitch LaRue's great hat, I just ordered from John as well.. I asked for a granite grey Raiders.. Since I loved what Fox was sporting in the earlier photos.. Real classic style...
Cool.
Thanks for the mention, Ben. Glad you like the way the hat looks... I'm sure you'll love yours.
Cheers!
:TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I think this entire thread shows how classy a really well made fedora can look.. All the hats here look stunning.. And since there is such a wide amount of colouring and shape it's helpful when you're trying to nail down what to ask John for!

Fox, I loved the styling of yours, and was after a similarly coloured hat since I have two brown and a black already.. Wanted something a touch lighter.. Seeing the styling you had cemented it for me and I asked John to make me one in the same granite with a Raiders bash.. (Although I might go with KOTCS... Not 100% sure yet)..

So, I should be thanking you for giving me the idea! (As well as everyone else here for wanting to show the hats they have!).. :TOH:

Keep em' coming!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well Nebraska, thats one nice lookin lid ya got there. You'll have to post one of you nad your Dad together.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
congrats. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Croft :mrgreen:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Agreed, Neb! Its good stuff! :TOH:

Travis
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I have to chime in with the chorus and say what a fine lookin' lid you have there, NS! Makes you want to jump on the first train to wherever your heart desires....All aboard! :whip:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Indiana Croft wrote:Well Nebraska, thats one nice lookin lid ya got there. You'll have to post one of you nad your Dad together.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
congrats. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you, Croft! :TOH: I think you're thinking of Luke Warmwater's father-in-law, who is getting the CS Train Traveler, too. OT--My father, the Nebraskan rancher, is more of a cowboy-hat kind of guy (but he's also part of my influence for regularly wearing a felt hat and matching leather jacket):
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w325 ... andDad.jpg
Hollowpond wrote:Agreed, Neb! Its good stuff! :TOH:

Travis
Thanks, Travis! :TOH:
Texan Scott wrote:I have to chime in with the chorus and say what a fine lookin' lid you have there, NS! Makes you want to jump on the first train to wherever your heart desires....All aboard! :whip:
Thanks, TS! In fact, I'll be wearing it next November to the major conference in my field, and might be taking the train there. ;)

NS
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Opps, but still a nice pic, your dad looks like a great guy. Now if you could just give that cowboy hat a little turn................. :CR:

Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

When I came back home today after being the last couple of weeks at a dig in Bulgaria, this wonderful Raiders fedora from John was waiting for me!

This is my first pure beaver hat and it is amazing how wonderful it feels. I guess I don´t have to mention how great the fit is, I have never had a hat that fit perfectly out of the box. The box by the way is really beautiful and pictures just don´t do it justice. I´m totally impressed by John´s work and am more than happy to have a hat made by him. The first thought that came to my head when I put it on my was ´This is is it! I finally have the hat I always wanted´.

And what I really like about this hat, besides the great look, is that it feels really really tough.
I´m going to take better pictures of it when the weather gets better around here. In the meantime I will continue to wear it and wear it and wear it...
Thank you John!
Dr. Nebraska S.

Looks good, Tremolo! :clap: And feel free to post your dig experiences over in the Archaeology section, too. :tup:

NS
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Nice looking lid there, Tremolo. :TOH: What more can be said about John's work? Those pictures just speak for themselves. ;) Congrats on a fine acquisition and enjoy wearing the heck out if it as John's hats are meant to be worn and a lot. They only get better with age and wear and I speak from experience as my rabbit Raiders from John is now completely and comfortably broken in with very much floppiness too. Enjoy the hat, you certainly will get a lot of mileage from it. ;)

-Bdgsi11
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

This is it! This is where Tremolo cashed in!....er....got his Penman that he'd been waiting for! Hey, nice lid there, T! Jacket is looking great, too! :H:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Thanks guys, I couldn´t be happier! Nebraska, I´m going to post a thread about it in the next couple of days, I´m still sorting the pictures ;)
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

There's nothing better than being surprised by something in the mail that you've been wanting and waiting for! That lid looks awesome, Tremolo. I'm hoping to get one in the future
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

That's one fine lookin' lid you got there Trem :clap: ....Still got the loose crease in it...Question is; Are you gonna be tempted to tighten it up or are you going to leave as is?? :-k

Either way....Awesome!!!

Ian
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well, I'll through my coment into the hat so to speak. Tremelo, you have one nice lookin lid there, wear it and wear the heck out of on one of your digs. Now theres some pic's I'd like to see.

I know I wear my CS travel Penman, every now and then (but I do wear it John), and I have to say that my next hat will be a Penman, just don't know the color, so many to choose from.

Croft. :mrgreen:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Thank you all! I can´t wait to wear this hat on the next dig in the summer ;)
Ian, I think I´ll leave the front pinch like it is. I like the way it looks, and as I´m quite used to LC styled hats It feels very natural to me. Maybe in the future ;)
Michael, you won´t be sorry! If you think (like me) the Henry is a great hat then you will be shocked how fantastic the Penman will feel in your hands (and on your head).
CaptainKatanga
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: In the corner, factoring univariate polynooomials over finite fields.

Post by CaptainKatanga »

Just got an email a couple of days ago saying that my Penman Rabbit Raiders is getting ready to be made next month!! So exciting!!

Regards,
CaptainKatanga
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

COOL!
:D :tup:

I have no doubt that it will be a thing of beauty.
:)
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Tremolo wrote:Thank you all! I can´t wait to wear this hat on the next dig in the summer ;)
Ian, I think I´ll leave the front pinch like it is. I like the way it looks, and as I´m quite used to LC styled hats It feels very natural to me. Maybe in the future ;)
Michael, you won´t be sorry! If you think (like me) the Henry is a great hat then you will be shocked how fantastic the Penman will feel in your hands (and on your head).
I had the loose pinch for quite a while, but then succumbed to tweaking.. :lol:

Ian
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Have a question. Got a rabbit raiders from John this time last year. It was a test hat off his newer block. It is a great hat that I use alot when I'm working in the yard, etc. Got caught with it in a rain storm a few weeks back. Got soaked, but not to the core. I popped out the bash and sweatband to dry. Problem is that it fits tight. It used to be a perfect fit. Any suggestions on a remedy without a huge expense? Money is a little tight.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Hat jack
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

How much does something like that cost?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Hat retainer, hat jack, hat stretcher, used interchangably. About $30. You can order one from John, your local western store or Ebay. Get the sweatband wet again and stretch it to the desired width.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Wore my Granite Penman to my gig last night:

Sorry for the crappy quality I-Phone pics.

DHW
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Very nice, Daren! Thanks for posting these. :tup:
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Haha, Looking good Daren! :H:

Regards,

LJ
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Penmans are certainly at home on the stage.

By the way, am I the only one here who feels compelled to say "Penmen" and not "Penmans?"

Dave
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

I presented my father-in-law with his hat today. He proudly wore it to the Zoo for an outing with us.

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

He wears it with style. Im glade he likes it.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Agreed.
Luke, both your Dad AND that Penman Hat bring a lot of style and charm to each other... They make a great match!
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

DR Ulloa wrote: By the way, am I the only one here who feels compelled to say "Penmen" and not "Penmans?"
Sorry for the off topic but! correct me if wrong. It cannot be Penmen as we are talking about the hats made my Penman, being the hats the object that is plural and belongs to Penman, or in this case made by him.

Regards,

LJ

BTW Luke your father in law is indeed looking amazing.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That's correct, Louisiana. I'm a grammar stickler/English teacher. It is Penmans. But it sounds weird, saying "mans" when the plural of man is men. It's a proper noun so it stays Penman with an added "s." I'm just saying that to my ears, it sounds right saying Penmen, is all.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

My name is spelled Penman but is pronounced Penmen.