Tailoring-a good thing

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Tailoring-a good thing

Post by Alathea_Squared »

I realize that many of you probably get your jackets cut 'just so' , but occasionally you may come across a find like I did-a custom Todd's that is a great fit in all ways, except the previous owner was 6' 4". In this case you get a jacket with great length, a nice fitting chest with some give (if you are girthy *ahem*) BUT-with 27ish inch sleeves.

[Rhetorical question alert] Do you know what a pain in the A** it is to have a jacket that fits and flows, but wearing it makes you feel and look like Renfield from Dracula when he's in the asylum? Checking your watch becomes PT for the day, and doing anything requires an adjusting movement to squinch up the sleeves to keep them out of the way, or to keep them clean.

After consulting 3 tailors in a city of 300,000, all of whom don't work on leather (?) I finally found a local LOCAL place (I almost didnt find it) after being referred by my boot resole guy. If you are in LIncoln, NE, Colea Alterations is GREAT! They turned my jacket around in a week, fitted it to me, cut and double stitched the sleeves AND gave me back the pieces. All this wrapped in a sunny disposition (Suzie, on the phone) and a genuine thank you-before I tipped.

If you have any niggly doubts about some of your gear, and you dont' want to send it back for weeks or months for that 'one thing', tailors are not a scary place. I now have a new wearable friend that doesn't vex me every time I wear it, and knowledge of yet another place in Lincoln that does crafting, not just "sending it off to St. Joe....".
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Tailoring-a good thing

Post by ajocampo »

Alathea_Squared wrote:I realize that many of you probably get your jackets cut 'just so' , but occasionally you may come across a find like I did-a custom Todd's that is a great fit in all ways, except the previous owner was 6' 4". In this case you get a jacket with great length, a nice fitting chest with some give (if you are girthy *ahem*) BUT-with 27ish inch sleeves.

[Rhetorical question alert] Do you know what a pain in the A** it is to have a jacket that fits and flows, but wearing it makes you feel and look like Renfield from Dracula when he's in the asylum? Checking your watch becomes PT for the day, and doing anything requires an adjusting movement to squinch up the sleeves to keep them out of the way, or to keep them clean.

After consulting 3 tailors in a city of 300,000, all of whom don't work on leather (?) I finally found a local LOCAL place (I almost didnt find it) after being referred by my boot resole guy. If you are in LIncoln, NE, Colea Alterations is GREAT! They turned my jacket around in a week, fitted it to me, cut and double stitched the sleeves AND gave me back the pieces. All this wrapped in a sunny disposition (Suzie, on the phone) and a genuine thank you-before I tipped.

If you have any niggly doubts about some of your gear, and you dont' want to send it back for weeks or months for that 'one thing', tailors are not a scary place. I now have a new wearable friend that doesn't vex me every time I wear it, and knowledge of yet another place in Lincoln that does crafting, not just "sending it off to St. Joe....".
Good to hear a good story about tailoring a leather jacket. I've never heard of it before and thought leather was too tough to tailor.
How much did it cost?

I actually just ordered a jacket from Todd. I got a medium and I am hoping the sleeves don't need any adjustments [-o<
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

35.00 to have the sleeves cut down and resewn, not counting the tip.
Mustafa
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mustafa »

This is a coincidence, I was just shopping around the Cincinnati area for a tailor for the exact same thing. I was curiouse as to what the cost would be on an alteration like this, thanks!!
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Well, that is what it cost me, anyway......good luck!

CAS
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Mustafa wrote:This is a coincidence, I was just shopping around the Cincinnati area for a tailor for the exact same thing. I was curiouse as to what the cost would be on an alteration like this, thanks!!
You might have better luck over in Dayton, since the Air Force base is located there.

In a quick search, I came across this one:

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Dayton-OH/ ... true&bpp=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Hunter57
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hunter57 »

Michaelson wrote:
Mustafa wrote:This is a coincidence, I was just shopping around the Cincinnati area for a tailor for the exact same thing. I was curiouse as to what the cost would be on an alteration like this, thanks!!

You might have better luck over in Dayton, since the Air Force base is located there.
No idea about the above listing, though I live in the Dayton area.

However, Irene's Tailoring on RT 48 in Centerville did some sleeve adjustments for me on a lambskin Wested some years ago. Perfectly done, and quick, though I don't remember time. Very reasonably priced, however. I would recommend them.

http://irenestailoring.com/
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

There ya go! :M: :tup:
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Anyone know tailoring in Toronto that handles leather jackets? lol

:TOH:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Um...

:WLWOP:
Mustafa
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mustafa »

Michaelson wrote:

In a quick search, I came across this one:

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Dayton-OH/ ... true&bpp=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Great thinking Michaelson! I was not too far along in my search...but I would have never thought about Dayton... :TOH:
Mustafa
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks Hunter! I will call them tomorrow.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Mustafa wrote:Great thinking Michaelson! I was not too far along in my search...but I would have never thought about Dayton... :TOH:
:M: :tup: