Making a Bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Exulted Unicron
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Making a Bullwhip

Post by Exulted Unicron »

I'm interested in upgrading my bullwhip from one I bought in a fancy dress shop which I painted for £1.50, to a more realistic screen accurate one. However, upon looking at price on the net, I found that proper whips are well out my price range. Is there a guide or a way I can make my own whip at home using household materials that would look both realistic and I could get away with at conventions?
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Making a Bullwhip

Post by hit80s »

For what its worth you could buy a whip from Todds and have a decent looking whip for less then you you would have to spend on materials.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

http://www.parachute-cord.com/

can use that stuff, if you want to use leather, then there is ( if you're in an area where leather is easily attainable and at a fair price ) is some pricey things.

For instance i'm soon going to be buying a 22 sq. ft. cowhide side, for $85, shipping included in price.

That'll probably get me about 1.5-2 whips ( likely 2 since i'll be doing 2 bolsters and 2 bellies instead of 4 bellies )

But you need other tools. For instance i'll be using an Australian strander to cut my strands. You can get this for about $24 ( all this

is in USD ), or if you are an elite member of tandy leather you can get one for $10. Also you need to make a beveler for your

strands, and a splitter will help, but if you find a place like i did, who's hide ( specific one i'm buying ) never goes above 4.5 oz,

and never goes below 4.0 oz, then a splitter is not 100% necessary. ( difference between 4.0 and 4.5 oz is only 1/128" )

Plus you'll need leather dressing, which isn't very pricey, i'm not trying to discourage you, i much enjoy making whips.

Just if you are on a very tight budget concerning this you might be better off using paracord from that link i put at the top.
Exulted Unicron
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Exulted Unicron »

I would use Todds, but I don't have a credit card to buy from him. Though, thanks for the info on how to make one from cord