Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by MARQ »

Gee,I´d really like to have Todd´s jacket but I can´t figure out the size...
I´m 6foot 1inch ,44"chest so which one is it...Large or Xlarge?! :-s ](*,)
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Definitely XL for a 44" chest BUT!
XXL for the height.

I am 5'10" and 44" XL is just at the right length for the Raiders jacket. :TOH:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

To make sure,I´d like to see some exact numbers from actual jackets..sizes Large to XLarge;the current run mostly,if you please. :-k
1.chest,sleevelength(cuff to seam),backlength and shoulders(top of backpanel)
The main reason for this is that I´d like to copy the Raven Bar Look,you know,the snug look and Todd´s Standard size Large seems to fit the bill, at least for a 44"-chest cuy like me,how much room does the Large or XLarge have to move anyway?
tex1272
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by tex1272 »

I am 5'10" and 44" XL is just at the right length for the Raiders jacket. :TOH:[/quote]

OK I am 5'10" but 42" in the chest and 208 lbs. so I should consider an XL as well?
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Guys, I'm 5'10" and 44 Reg. and I wear a Large Todd's Standard. I highly recommend it as an XL is WAY too big in the chest! If you are the same size as me you will be "swimming" in the chest area of an XL. If you wear a 42" DEFINITELY get the Large!

Food for thought.

Dr. J
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

We've been having some rather mild fall/winter weather in my area so I've been wearing my Todds Jacket (with my Henry of course!) as much as possible and I just keep falling in love with this thing!
It really is such a comfortable jacket and I often find myself not wanting to take it off when I'm indoors.
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

I'm extremely glad to see so many nice things said/written about Todd's Jacket! I have wanted this jacket for the longest time now and since I finally have some steady income coming in I'd like to get one real soon. I've really done my research on other jackets but reading all the positive things about Todd's, plus being a really good price, I've narrowed it down to getting this one. This will be my first Indy jacket and I'm really excited!

Now this is where I need some help from you guys, cause I have no idea which size to go for? I'm around 6' 2", 150lbs, 38-39" chest... yeah I'm just a skinny fella. I was thinking of going with the Large, mainly cause my sleeve length is right there with the 35 1/2" he has listed on his site. Then again I don't want this thing to be so big that I am swimming in the thing. lol So what do you guys think? I guess if worse came to worse I can get the Large, if it's too big just trade it in for the next size down.

Thanks so much for your help guys!

James
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I have a medium, I'm 5'10" 165lbs 38R size jacket size and it fits me just perfect. I would say get the large - you may have to have it altered by a local drycleaner if you are inbetween sizes, but I'm sure Todd will accept an exchange.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

So,Kentucky...where are the pics of your jacket and what size did you order!? :-k
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread-soon to be

Post by Alathea_Squared »

ive done some searching around, and I know that Todd's brand is "Coyles", but what does the designation 'custom' mean, other than the measurements? I have an opportunity to get on and since im a larger guy finding one in my measurements is a bit of a challenge to being affordable. Its a cowhide, almost new, cotton lining. Todd's Costumes website doesn't seem to have anything on it about making custom jackets, but I see 'custom' in the forum all the time. What does that mean?
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Todd did offer custom jackets in the past ( He has talked of starting makeing them again).

Basically they were made in the US rather than overseas as the standard jacket is.

The custom jackets had a choice of leathers,the size was "custom" to your specs,and by all accounts wereare very well made jacket. Much better than the Todds standard.
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

thanks, Daymond-thats kind of what I was angling for. Do we know the maker that he had for them, was it anyone that is 'known' to make jackets? Not really important, but curious, thats all.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I thought they were made in-house by Todd and his leather person... :-k
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

They may very well be, I was just asking out of curiosities sake.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Yes, they are made in house by my talented team who also make our other custom leather wear - Xena dresses, boots, scabbards, etc. and our leather Gladiator armor and boots. We don't advertise them because, honestly, business-wise, they're not worth the trouble. After subtracting $100 for leather and other materials, the day and a half for labor, and the hours of customer service involved, it's a break even deal. And then the returns and alterations (usually because we're given faulty measurements) and then we're losing money. We do consider special requests, if it sounds like a straight-forward job. Really, we'd have to charge $800 to make it worthwhile. Worth it? I don't know. They are top-notch and the leather we use is much nicer than what you get in a department store.

Reasons for returns? "the left pocket flap is too grainy for me" or "My sister was attacked by ninjas and I need the money back" or "I just don't like it". I know, we're crazy for accepting returns on custom made items.

If you need one, give us a call and we'll see what we can do for you.

-Todd
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

:clap:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

So, what hides do you have available for the custom, how much are they and do you offer options like liner materials and inside pocket configurations? Lots of questions, I know!!!

Travis
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hi, Todd! Thanks for replying. Im getting one from a fellow collector, I think. He's been really helpful, and he *was* a bigger guy (think 6+, 250+) so my finding one for a 52" chest and being 5'10" this is a great find. Ive just been looking for details since im more familiar with US, GB's, and Westeds.

Thanks for jumping into the pond!
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

hollow-I came across a thread elsewhere-I think in the "Todd's Owners" thread or in the Vendors forum, that answered some of that...Ill see if I come across them again. Can't wait for your package next week!

CAS
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

We have lamb (very nice) and we can "wash" it which gives it a more casual look. We have cow, and goat. My favorite is the washed lamb. We can also put a layer of fleece or flannel under the lining for cold weather wear. Custom linings - we have cotton silesia and nice synthetics. If you want something special, you'll need to send it to us or you'll need to pay for us to go shopping for you. special pockets - we'll just have to charge an hourly rate for the extra workl.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Todd, thanks as always for being a Vendor who is so forthcoming with available information...
:)
I'm curious, too... can anyone here lead me in the direction of a photo of a Todd's Jacket in the "washed lamb"?
I'd really like to see what that looks like.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Mitch! Just pull the trigger on the standard already!!!!! :whip:

I think in Todd's ebay store they're still only $149 with FREE shipping
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I'm going to get a standard as soon as the new ones come in. hopefully it wont be too long until...

:TOH:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Eric, don't you already have a Todd's? From what I recall it's one of the best looking ones around :-k

Anyway, the new ones will be in even quicker once Todd starts getting low on the inventory he has...so Mitch should stop hem-hawing around already :P
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I do. I also have a couple 3-4 magnolis and 5 wings and a bunch of westeds... wouldnt hurt to give my old Todd's a baby brother now would it. ;)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Indiana Holt wrote:I do. I also have a couple 3-4 magnolis and 5 wings and a bunch of westeds... wouldnt hurt to give my old Todd's a baby brother now would it. ;)
Not one bit...and again...the more Todd sells, the sooner we'll see the new ones...

so why don't you pop on one he's got in inventory too! I already told Mitch if he buys one and doesn't like it, I'll buy it off him...but you're bigger than me so...

:whip:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:lol:
I'll admit it: I'm guilty of being an overly cautious buyer...

But your words are duly noted, RB... and I do feel the "pressure" (more than anything, though, I'm simply tempted by how nice these jackets look)...
but I'll confess, I AM still "hemmin' & hawin'" about the leather...

Can't help myself... sorry
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

aw schucks Mitch, ya know I'm just joshin' ya! :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Awww... I know, RB... but there's no denying that I'd love to own something from Todd's collection one day, that's for sure.
;)
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Indiana Holt wrote:I'm going to get a standard as soon as the new ones come in. hopefully it wont be too long until...

hi all,
i thought i remember hearing that todd had some rediculous number of jackets in his inventory and that it would be a looooong time before he got a new batch in. on top of that, he couldn't be sure that his specs would even be correct. does anyone else recall that or am i mistaken?

jlhampton
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I ordered a Todd's OTR jacket a couple of days ago. It's  going to be delivered today! I'll post a review when it arrives! I can't wait! \:D/

Zane
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:) :tup:

Lookin' forward to reading more (and hopefully SEEING more, too!) on this subject, Indyzane!
;)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Mitch LaRue wrote::) :tup:

Lookin' forward to reading more (and hopefully SEEING more, too!) on this subject, Indyzane!
;)
+1 on that.

I recently purchased a used HH Wested from a member here, and because of weight it's a great fall/winter jacket for this North Dakota weather...

but I still LOVE my Todd's. It just SCREAMS Raiders to me when I put it on...it's just what the movie jacket was (a couple minor details aside).

Can't wait to see your pics Zane! :clap:
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Hi Todd,

I have bought quite a few things from you and I can only give you the highest compliment on excellent products and service!
Your Raiders Jacket is simply AWSOME.

Keep up the good work! :H: :lol: :TOH:

Many thanks from down under,
George
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

MARQ wrote:So,Kentucky...where are the pics of your jacket and what size did you order!? :-k
He hasn't been on since Christmas Eve. :-k

I'd like to see some pics of Todd's jackets too.
nitzsche
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by nitzsche »

I have a Todd's standard size L. It is a great fit. I am 5'11", 185lbs, chest size is a 42. I love how light weight this jacket is because it forms well to my frame and is a perfect spring/fall jacket. Plus I can stuff it in a shoulder bag.

The sleeves are long enough, the chest is just right. Zipped, it is a snug fit - not too tight. I will post some pics soon.

EDIT: I threw up some quick and dirty pics. Sorry for the quality, but it gives you a good idea of the fit.

http://img690.imageshack.us/g/20110327210045399.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Here's my XXL Todd's Standard. I can't really zip it up since it kinda pushes out in a weird way in the chest. But the Raiders jacket is only supposed to be zipped up half-way if that, if I'm not mistaken. I love the jacket, $149 shipped can't go wrong plus its lightweight, which is great for FL.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/J ... 0Standard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Hey JC,

As you know I have a Tood'S as well. So..... I used Lexol on mine and it did wonders! It has formed to my body better. Also I'm getting very nice wrinkles on the sleeves. Just thought I would share my newest info on my jacket.

Cheers,
Zane
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

nitzsche and JC:
These are very nice examples of Todd's great offering... and these jackets suit you both very nicely (love that hat, by the way, nitzsche!)

Thanks for posting these shots gentlemen!
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

I heard Todd provides made to order jackets? I saw indyclone mention it on youtube in his jacket review... :-k

BTW... I just noticed Todd's Jacket is available through ebay and his website...I checked the sizing...and there seems to be a discrepancy...e.g. small on ebay has a sleeve length of 24.5" while on the website it's 33/5"? Or maybe i'm reading something wrong?
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Just two different ways of measuring the sleeve length. The first is simply from the arm/shoulder seam down to the cuff,
the latter is from the centre of the collar at the back down to the shoulder then down to the cuff. The latter is the better way of measuring, since it takes into
account shoulder width, which can make a big difference in how the sleeves fit.
Not sure why Todd uses one on one site and the other on Ebay though.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Kevin Anderson wrote:Just two different ways of measuring the sleeve length. The first is simply from the arm/shoulder seam down to the cuff,
the latter is from the centre of the collar at the back down to the shoulder then down to the cuff. The latter is the better way of measuring, since it takes into
account shoulder width, which can make a big difference in how the sleeves fit.
Not sure why Todd uses one on one site and the other on Ebay though.
Yeah i got confused for a second there...I thought he offered different jackets. Thanks for clearing that up!
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Any word on Todd's being offered in skins other than "lightweight lambskin" as described on their website? Still waiting for either a goat or cowhide option.
Also, what are the physical dimensions (shoulder width, sleeve length, pit to pit and back length) for their Large size?
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

ron521 wrote:Any word on Todd's being offered in skins other than "lightweight lambskin" as described on their website? Still waiting for either a goat or cowhide option.
Also, what are the physical dimensions (shoulder width, sleeve length, pit to pit and back length) for their Large size?
Go to Todd's ebay page...he provides more measurements there. As for the types of leather, you could ask todd directly
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

I'm 5'7" 160 lbs. Anyone have any input as to which size I should get?
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Todd is super cool and willing to help a fan.

I would suggest calling with your measurements and let them tell you what's the right size.

Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

ajocampo wrote:I'm 5'7" 160 lbs. Anyone have any input as to which size I should get?
Being similar in build, my guess:
Medium if you want a looser, but not baggy, fit.

Small if you want a well-fitted, but not tight, fit.

I have one of each and that's how mine fit me.

Medium:

Small:

Flickr set comparing them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28642132@N ... 355801761/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

Well mountaineer, going by the photos posted I'd say the medium looks like the better fitting of the two.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Mountaineer wrote:
ajocampo wrote:I'm 5'7" 160 lbs. Anyone have any input as to which size I should get?
Being similar in build, my guess:
Medium if you want a looser, but not baggy, fit.

Small if you want a well-fitted, but not tight, fit.

I have one of each and that's how mine fit me.

Medium:

Small:

Flickr set comparing them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28642132@N ... 355801761/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome pictures mountaineer, judging from the pictures, the medium does look better. Do you have your measurements handy though? I'm trying to get as much information and kinda get the average and go from there...

Thanks,

James
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

James,

Height: Between 5'7" and 5'8". (Depends on if I slouch or not.)
Weight: 150-155.
Suit coat size: 38.

I like them both, but for different reasons.

The medium is the more "correct" (for lack of a better word) in my eye in achieving the "look". It's got a great leather, both in color and grain.

The small is one I like to wear when not going for the Indy vibe and just want a leather jacket. It was one of Todd's early jackets and has the less-grainy (some would say it is pleathery) leather.

I know from experience that (p)leather type has been rectified. I also believe that he had stated those early jackets were not properly sized. (Over time it did get short in the sleeves, hence the medium.)

A call to Todd would confirm both points, but my belief is that both "issues" have been rectified since February 2008, when I purchased (and was photographed in) the small.