Your cracking To-Do list for this year?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Lukes Roommate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Your cracking To-Do list for this year?

Post by Lukes Roommate »

Spring is nearly here, despite yesterday's 23cm-of-snow-setback.
What's on your "To-Do" list for this year?

Mine:
- Nail the #### volley. It's really frustrating me, and last sunday during the weather break, I had bits working, but it's just not there yet.

- The Snake Killer. I've been watching Adam's video on this crack, can't wait to attempt it!

- Refine the DeLongis Flash+1. I've added a fifth crack to the DeLongis Flash and things usually go pretty smooth.

- Refining everything else and attempting some of the combos Adam performs with his 10 foot whip.
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Your cracking To-Do list for this year?

Post by Holmes »

I guess I'll go next.

-Refine the volley. I can get six consecutive cracks about 50% of the time.

-Refine the Tasmanian Cutback, Cut my leg tryin to learn that one. Never wear shorts boys and girls #-o

-Start doin some basic two handed work.

- I'd also like to try the Arrowhead but I think I'm still a ways off from that one.
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Holmes,

The Arrowhead looks more menacing than it is. Look for videos of Adam Winrich and Paul from Midwest whips demonstrating them. Break it down in pieces, and then build slowly from there. If you are doing well with the volley, then you are ready to give it a try. ;)

Allen
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

My to-do is very simple: crack a whip. That's it. I've had my whip since halloween and haven't cracked it yet, or any other whip for that matter.
Lukes Roommate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lukes Roommate »

OOOOhhhh the Arrowhead!
It's not as menacing as it looks?
So I won't show up for work like this?
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Nah, not that bad! :lol:

Keeping the whip straight is the trick during the side changes, just go slowly. :TOH:

Like Adam W said:

"I've hit myself 1000's of times with a whip.... the important thing is to not start "liking" it!"
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Lukes Roommate wrote:
Mine:
- Nail the #### volley. It's really frustrating me, and last sunday during the weather break, I had bits working, but it's just not there yet.
That is on my "To-Do" list as well.
It IS very frustrating as it looks SO simple if you break it down, but, I just can't get the hang of it (yet [-o< )
I can get 4 or 5 cracks out before I loose control and the whip wraps around my wrist. :-k
(I think I am getting ahead of myself and loosing my timing a little bit with each crack.)

Others on my list for this Spring, refining the double overhead crack, and working on my targeting.

Last but certainly not least, the under hand forward flick.
This is another one of those "it's so simple, Why can't I do it?!" things.
I can pull it off consistantly with my little 4 foot "el Cheapo" whip I use for indoors, but, it's a no-go with any other whips ( :? )
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:Nah, not that bad! :lol:

Keeping the whip straight is the trick during the side changes, just go slowly. :TOH:
It sounds so simple and harmless when you put it that way :roll: . Thanks for the advice though, I figure I'll give it a try. My only worry that nags in the back of my head is that the whip I'm using isn't "quality" enough to pull off some of these tricks. The only whips I've used are the ones I've made so I don't really have a standard of comparison.
Indiana County Jr. wrote: Like Adam W said:
"I've hit myself 1000's of times with a whip.... the important thing is to not start "liking" it!"
Good quote!
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Holmes wrote:
Indiana County Jr. wrote:Nah, not that bad! :lol:

It sounds so simple and harmless when you put it that way :roll: . Thanks for the advice though, I figure I'll give it a try. My only worry that nags in the back of my head is that the whip I'm using isn't "quality" enough to pull off some of these tricks. The only whips I've used are the ones I've made so I don't really have a standard of comparison.
Indiana County Jr. wrote: Like Adam W said:
Good quote!
Hope that helps,
If you are worried about whip quality, I managed to pull it off with a Karaka whip, they are about as non-whip material as you can get.... :[
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Also Holmes,
Keep in mind that I made a lot of mistakes when first learning how to do cracks of that nature. I worked on it alone a total of 2 months solid before it worked right due to experimentation. I try to help all I can to keep people from getting struck when doing complicated cracks, and save some folks a lot of welts... ;)

Allen
stoneman
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by stoneman »

I really want to nail the 4 corners.

That and I want to work on my left handed work, it looks pretty awkward and clumsy at the moment. I'd like it to be at a point where my dominant hand isn't obvious to an observer
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:I try to help all I can to keep people from getting struck when doing complicated cracks, and save some folks a lot of welts... ;)

Allen
And we all appreciate that quite a lot :TOH:
Lukes Roommate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lukes Roommate »

We sure do!
Despite the fact you want us to try the Arrowhead of Doom and get all cut-up like an extra in Gangs of New York...
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

I want to get the hang of my 7' Terry Jacka. The long handle adds alot of leverage which really changes things. Plus I'm trying to use the DeLongis style so right now its almost like starting over and the few things I already knew are evading me ](*,)
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

Lukes Roommate wrote:We sure do!
Despite the fact you want us to try the Arrowhead of Doom and get all cut-up like an extra in Gangs of New York...
:rolling:
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Holmes wrote:
Lukes Roommate wrote:We sure do!
:rolling:
Yeah, but you gotta admit, the ladies dig a man with scars.... or the scary ones at least... :anxious: :lol:
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

rawvoodoo wrote:I want to get the hang of my 7' Terry Jacka. The long handle adds alot of leverage which really changes things. Plus I'm trying to use the DeLongis style so right now its almost like starting over and the few things I already knew are evading me ](*,)
Yeah, those do take a little getting used to. Took me about a week to get comfortable with the much longer handle. But I noticed sometimes I actually preferred the 10 inch handle Jacka that I was used to until I adjusted the angle of my arm (using delongis style, plus I am 5'7 so you have to find the sweet spot of your technique when stature is involved) and things work much better. Congratulations on getting one by the way!

Allen
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

Yes Im kind of stubby in the height dept too and after a winter with no whipping and only 1 summer of cracking before of that my arm needs a little more work to properly use that leverage.
And thanks, Im glad to have it. Its from our own DarenHenryW and it is spectacular. Now all Im waiting for is my Bernardo. After that getshere Im done. No more whips ever ever. nope never........well wait I wanna get a stock whip made to match the one from Spartacus; Blood and Sand then theres the Joe Strain and maybe a..... ok well Im done for right now.
Lukes Roommate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lukes Roommate »

I've been watching the Arrowhead video over and over and now feel confident that I can attempt it and possibly succeed....
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Believe me, if I can learn it... anyone can.... :lol:

Just remember, work on each side independently, the main thing to watch is the transition from left to right (the arrow point) that is where you are most likely to get hit. Watch out for pulling the whip back into you when you do this point transition, I did that a lot till it finally dawned on me what I was doing and allowed the whip to continue its normal motion without trying to alter the flight path. Watching your wrist position will be vital to keep it flowing evenly as well. Funny enough, you can do it slowly and you will get nice even cracks. Good Luck!! :TOH:

Allen
Lukes Roommate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lukes Roommate »

Thanks again for the tips!
I'm actually putting this one ahead of the Snake Killer in the "To Do: cue.
I've also been practicing the arm motions while sitting on the couch this past week ;)
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Anytime! :TOH:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Lukes Roommate wrote:Thanks again for the tips!
I'm actually putting this one ahead of the Snake Killer in the "To Do: cue.
I've also been practicing the arm motions while sitting on the couch this past week ;)
The snake killer is ironically the very first crack i learned, i'm still fine tuning it 9 only been cracking for about 45 days )

but i didn't know that's what it was called. I was just planking around with the whip i had just made and discovered it, it now gives me not troubles.