Oh, MAN what a jacket!!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indydawg

Oh, MAN what a jacket!!!

Post by Indydawg »

Well, folks, it’s here! My “Light Vintage Brown” Cowhide Expedition came just about 30 minutes ago. And as much as I “gushed” over Indiana Joe’s dark brown distressed cowhide Expo a few months ago, it doesn’t compare to the joy of lifting this baby out of the bag and slipping it on! It’s perfect. In every way possible….it’s just perfect!

I’ll start with the color. Imagine one of the FS Russet Brown jackets….the horsehide, goatskin, or the like….but with the top “glossy” finish taken off uniformly across the entire jacket. That’s what it looks like. A russet brown jacket with the top “coat” of polish taken off. It actually reminds me a lot of my first US Wings “Old Cow” Indy jacket from a few years ago, but not quite as “red” as that one. It’s just a beautiful color. And, don’t forget, it’s new now, and without any leather treatments or wear to the jacket. It’s only going to get darker as it’s worn, Pecards is applied, and it “ages” even more.

I also LOVE the lining. This jacket was equipped with the same lining used in the FS M422A jacket. It’s a crimson colored lining, much like the brown one used on their jackets now, but it somehow seems even more rugged and hard wearing. With the color of the jacket, it’s just a striking contrast and makes for a beautiful combination.

The leather itself, aside from the great color and look of it, is pretty grainy, as is characteristic of cowhide, but what strikes me the most is how well the jacket’s grain “flows” from one area to the next. There’s nothing that seems “out of place” on the jacket at all. And I can see, once this thing has some Pecards on it, the grain really starting to pop out and show it’s character.

But, I don’t think I’m going to Pecard it until the end of this winter/spring season. I’ll do it when I go to put it up for the summer, but right now, I think I’m just going to put a heavy coating of Scotchguard for leather on it to protect it from stains and dirt, and water, and like I did with my Wings “Old Cow”, just let nature take its course. It’s really too beautiful a jacket not to just wear it and let it take on a life and personality of its own…and its owner!

I’m one happy Indy jacket owner here, y’all. I gotta tell ya….just when I think I’ve seen “the best” looking Indy jacket, another comes along. But, I really think the search stops here. It doesn’t much look like Indy’s jacket yet….but it will before I’m finished with it!

Later!
Indydawg

PS-I'll take some pics when the weather gets beter and I can get outside, and then I'll need someone to help me "host" them. Right now, I just don't want to take the thing off!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, so when can I expect THAT one to be mailed up to me? :wink: Just kidding, just kidding!!! (grins) High regard. Michaelson
Indydawg

LOL...

Post by Indydawg »

I know, I know...it's been heard before...but THIS time, it really IS going to stay!!!

Whatever happens to this jacket, it's staying with me!

REally...I'm serious!

Not that I don't love ya, man...but, not this time...

If you want to see it, you'll have to come to Athens!

Later!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Uh, yeah, sure :roll: :wink: Seriously, I'm glad you FINALLY found your Grail! High regards. Michaelson
Indydawg

Thanks, man!

Post by Indydawg »

I really appreciate it!

Later!
Indydawg
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LOL...

Post by Mike »

Indydawg wrote:I know, I know...it's been heard before...but THIS time, it really IS going to stay!!!
As long as it stays OUT of a shipping box.

You'll have to excuse us if we two are a bit skeptical. :wink:

All kidding aside, congrats. Glad you finally found one that is worthy of staying put.

Mike
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, Mike, let's start the clock and see if the fellow is REALLY serious this time. :D :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Congratulations!

Did you have to pay extra to have the Expedition made from the light vintage brown cowhide and the crimson colored lining. I thought Indiana Joe had to pay extra to get his dark brown cowhide Expedition - I forget. :-s

I have a sample they sent me, but I would describe it as a bit lighter than you, and more of a mahogany shade, but then it could just be the sample I received.

I'm still waiting for them to finish my G-1 that I returned because of an omission they made which is now going on the 4th week. :(
Indydawg

Good grief!!

Post by Indydawg »

Am I THAT bad!!!

Yeah...I guess I have been...

But I have learned the error of my ways!!

I will sin no more!
:wink:
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Let's put it like this, old friend. You and I developed a never reported technique of distressing new jackets that involved shipping boxes and the U.S. Mail. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Indydawg

LOL!!!

Post by Indydawg »

I guess we should apply for a patent on that, then , huh?

I guess I HAVE spent too much time at the post office. Mrs. Indydawg thinks I'm having an affair with the post office lady..I guess that's a good indication you're spending too much time mailing jackets back and forth!!

Oh, and no...Rixter, I didn't pay extra...actually I got this jacket for 250.00 off their clearance page. Just got REAL lucky!!!

Later!
Indydawg
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

... and I still have a crick in my neck from watching the back and forth! :wink:

Maybe we should add the "patented" Michael/Dawg method to the main page. :lol:

... wow and a clearance item at that... a good find indeed Dawg.

Mike
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Heck, Mike, we were just loosening your jacket up for you. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Indydawg

Yeah!!!

Post by Indydawg »

That jacket wouldn't be in NEAR as good a condition and state that it's in had it not been for the love, care, and attention we gave it :wink: !!

Seriously...I'm really glad to have finally joined the ranks of guys who are truly "at peace" with their jacket yen and are happy with what they have.

It's a good feeling....

And I know my wife will be happy, too. All the money I've put into jackets before now, this will LITERALLY be the LEAST expensive jacket I've ever bought :shock: :roll: ..

Ah, well....here's hopin' all you other guys find your grail, too!
Later!
Indydawg

PS-Incidentally, if you have a Gibson and Barnes catalog (their new one), on the back of the front cover page, there's a picture of a man, a woman, and two kids. The little girl on the airplane, wearing the "Raider" jacket...THAT;S the same color as my jacket-her's looks alot lighter than mine, though, because of the lighting. Lighting does such funny things to how a jacket loooks....
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

So, now what's going to happen to the deerskin Expo? :? Regards,. Michaelson
Indydawg

Well..

Post by Indydawg »

According to Western Union, I have a money order in the amount of 310.00 coming to me from a guy named Michele in Italy. Yep...I FINALLY sold it! It's outta here as soon as I get that money and put it in the bank.

The rest will go to the newly purchased "personal protection plan" I told you about last week....plus another 150.00 at the end of the month :wink: ....and then I still owe my dad another 125.00 after I send THAT in to him.

But, there will very soon be only ONE Indy jacket in my closet....

That's a rather comforting thought. No more standing in front of the closet trying to decide which jacket to put on. :roll: It'll be either the Expo, the A-2, or the G-2, depending on how cold it is...or what I'm in the mood for.

But thanks for asking, my friend!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

VERY good! Glad to see she finally is heading to a new home! High regards. Michaelson
Indydawg

Me, too..

Post by Indydawg »

And this time she gets to go overseas!!! I know she's going to like THAT trip!!!

Thank you, very much, my friend!!!
Back at you later!!
Indydawg
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

What is this?! A jacket that the dawg is 100% happy with, and has no gripes about?! :shock: :shock: hee hee! Congratulations, and on the bargain page no less!!

:wink:

I J
Indydawg

Thank you, too!!!

Post by Indydawg »

Ok...it's really apparent now. I have been WAY too picky about my jackets, haven't I? :roll:

But it HAS paid off!! I AM 100% happy with this jacket....no question about it.

Later!
Indydawg
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

So, when are we finally going to see some pics of that wonder jacket???

I'm dying to see the jacket, that you're THAT happy with.

Regards,

Marc
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

There were two jackets on sale on the Flightsuits website. The one Indydawg got and the one I got.

I called right away and had my choice.
Let's see...which was it to be? Vintage cowhide or dark brown goat? I chose the goat. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

D'oh! #-o

And to think, I could have had the wonder-jacket!

But seriously, folks...to hear how thrilled Indydawg is with his jacket warms my heart. Wear it well, my friend, and have many happy adventures!

Let's see photos!
Indydawg

Man....you guys are too much!

Post by Indydawg »

It's the "wonder jacket" alright. I keep getting compliments all over town about it! Like no other jacket ever!!! It's somethin'...

Pics will be taken tomorrow...today was just too crazy at work. Now, who do I send them to, so they can be hosted?

Later!
Indydawg
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Seriously give shutterfly.com a try, I like it alot better than fotki.com. I thought it was easier to use, and it is of course free!
I J
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Location: Location - the most important thing in real estate

Post by junior »

Hey 'Dawgman..congrats.

I assume you have seen the seal brown goatskin from G&B. How does the skin from the goat compare to the cow you just received?

Drape - Consistancy and feel of the hide - Thickness - etc.

junior

PS - it would be real good to have both yours and Joe's dark cow to be posted in the same light for comparison...but that may be a tall order...but it's an order non-the-less...................waiter!?! :shock:
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

indyDawg! Sounds like an awsome jacket. The pics I've seen of the Expo PD is great. I'm wondering, how stiff is the collar compared to the Goat? my Russet goat has this (as all goats do, I think) incredibally stiff collar that looks like I have wings...
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by junior »

Collins, that may be due, in-part, because of the type of interfacing they use for the collar...which is why I had none put in mine. It lays down wonderful. After some time, your should too. Try not to fly away in the meantime.

junior
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

So it's their way or no way on the Expedition as far as the interfacing for the collar? Or would it cost extra to do it any different especially for a lightweight lambskin. What about the pocket flaps? :o
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by junior »

Yes, it's their interfacing or no interfacing. I didn't want one in the collar for different reasons. Per your cargo pocket concern..the interfacing had to be included in the construction as the two pieces that make up the flap could not be sewn together without it. That was FS talking, not me. Interfacing in the flap isn't a big deal to me as it is witht the collar.

Come in Indydawg. Where dem pics?

junior
Indydawg

Well..

Post by Indydawg »

They've been taken...just have to get them over to someone who can host them on the forum...they are on shutterfly right now, but they won't let another page open them...

But, I'm working' on it...

Later!
Indydawg
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: LOL!!!

Post by Indiana Joe »

Indydawg wrote:Oh, and no...Rixter, I didn't pay extra...actually I got this jacket for 250.00 off their clearance page. Just got REAL lucky!!!
My wife and sister-in-law have aways told me to never pay retail!
Indydawg wrote:Seriously...I'm really glad to have finally joined the ranks of guys who are truly "at peace" with their jacket yen and are happy with what they have.
Since I'm now "at peace" with my jacket, I think I need to drive the 45 minutes to your house and have Mrs. Indydawg take a few photos of us wearing our Holy Grails. Then all may see the happiness in our faces, view our aura of nirvana, and compare your vintage cowhide with my dark vintage cowhide.

Seriously, I'm very happy for you, 'dawg. My interest is quite picqued at this time and I may have to come over this weekend for a visit (but only if you let me crack your Stenhouse!) to see this awesome jacket.

I.J.
Indydawg

Hey..I'll be waiting to hear from you..

Post by Indydawg »

Sounds like a good plan to me.

The jacket is breaking in nicely. It's starting to get some wear on the high points, as is typical of a distressed jacket, and, I think, once I finally get around to applying Pecards to the entire jacket, it will be looking very "worn in".

Oh, and the collar on mine is pretty soft and flexible...but I think it has everything to do with the leather/facing relationship....which is making for a very nice and flexible collar.

Still need someone to help me with the photos, though....

Later!
Indydawg
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I went over to Athens this morning to say my good-byes to Mr. and Mrs. Indydawg as I will be moving to Cincinnati on Wednesday. Of course, we "talked shop" and compared whips, jackets, etc. Two photos were taken of our G & B cowhides together. I just have to get Indydawg to e-mail them to me and get them posted here.

Yes, my fellow gearheads, his jacket is very nice. Dawg's Expo is lighter in weight and color than mine and his cowhide feels much softer (neither jacket has had any Pecard treatment as of yet). We came to the conclusion that it may be that Indydawg's "vintage cowhide" is technically pre-distressed but my "dark vintage cowhide" is made to distress at an accelerated rate to get the distressed look. Anyway, I hope the pictures do them justice.

I.J.

p.s.--We are under the impression that we are the only ones who ever got a cowhide Expedition from Flightsuits. Does anyone know of sombody else who may own one? Just curious.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

You're moving? I think I speak on behalf of all Georgia Gearheads when I say that you will be missed. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet you at the 2003 Summit. Keep practicing with the bullwhip, and you will have some awesome moves to show off wherever you go! :D May the Force Be With You!

-Dale
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Well, now that you're going to be in Ohio, you shoud try to get to one of the summits coming up in a few weeks at either Gettysburg or DC! :D

Dalexs
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

whipwarrior wrote:You're moving? I think I speak on behalf of all Georgia Gearheads when I say that you will be missed. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet you at the 2003 Summit. Keep practicing with the bullwhip, and you will have some awesome moves to show off wherever you go! :D May the Force Be With You!

-Dale
And also with you! Thank you for the kind words, Dale!

I finally got moved in and today I found three places for cracking here in the neighborhood. With rain in the forecast for tomorrow, I may have to wait a day or two to get crackin'.

Dalexs, I may have to wait until the next time around to meet up at one of those eastern summits but thanks for the invite. In fact, my relatives in the Baltimore/D.C. area will have to wait until the Fall to see me! Again, thank you for the invite---I hope I can have a raincheck!

I.J.