First Time Shooter

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

First Time Shooter

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I had my first time at an indoor range with an NRA instructor who also taught me how to disassemble my Inglis Mark I 9mm and clean it before we hit the range.

It was fun but a little frustrating that I didn't always hit where I wanted to on the paper target. I, like Chewie, am right handed, but left eye dominant. My "Indy" glasses have an hourglass shapped focal area so that I can read as well as focus long distance, but I couldn't get my sights in sharp focus.

2 out of 20 or 30 rounds hit the paper target in the neck area, the rest were all in the chest and belly area. I think I'm dropping the gun in anticipation, but going through the rounds 5 at a time, with an instructor giving me advise was fun.

I can see ammo as consumable for target practice. I want to get two handed shooting down before I try one handed, Indy style.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: First Time Shooter

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, luckily 9mm is not overly expensive, so practice as much as you can afford to.

You're instructor probably told you this, but keeping your hits on the paper, and within the silhouette, are a good thing regardless of the exact point of aim. Chest and belly is mainly where you want to be able to hit, anyhow. If you're mostly or all on the paper, you are off to a good start. :tup:
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanks, Chewie. All my shots hit in the throat or torso area of the paper target. I'm going to try a little different holding position next time and bring the gun up to my left, dominant eye. I'll practice when I can dry unless dry firing is not recommended. I need to learn to squeeze and not anticipate.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Generally, dry firing is not recommended. The hammer wants to hit an actual cartridge end, and not it's own solid frame. While once or twice generally shouldn't harm anything, you may wear down the firing pin if you dry fire too much.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Get youself some snap caps. They are like a plastic dummy round with a spring loaded "primer".
You can dry fire safly with them :tup:

Sooo... jealous of you, human shaped targets are on the way out here in the UK :( .
Many clubs no longer use them,mine does very rarely as we have so few left in stock,and when there gone ther gone.We will no longer be able to get more.

Back to my point....GET SOME SNAP CAPS!!!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Indiana Dymond wrote:Get youself some snap caps.
Yep. They are very good to have, especially if you need to practice self defense holster drills. But great for in-home trigger practice, in general.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I wonder if my local gun store will carry snap caps? If not, where should I look for those? Are they as loud as real ammunition?
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

They don't make any noise, which makes me wonder - why do they call 'em caps to begin with? :-k Image
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I'm glad to hear that they don't make any noise, so I can practice at home (I'll be alone, too), but where do I buy some?
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Just about every gunshop should carry them, along with some of the chain sporting good stores. I'd call ahead first to make sure they have 'em in stock so you don't waste a trip. Image
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thank you. I'm learning a lot from you guys, and I appreciate your help.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That's right! I have a snap cap ring for my S&W Victory. It practically "snaps" in place. ;)
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Generally speaking, snap caps aren't usually plastic. They are typically made of something more durable like brass or aluminium. Dummy rounds are plastic (although I just bought some that are aluminum, go figure).

Dummy rounds can be used to practice loading and cycling weapon
Dummy rounds will only last being fired maybe once or twice before they get mangled.
Snap caps can be used for dry firing, and typically have a spring loaded primer strike area (center fire).

Some handguns are ok for dry fire (eg. Springfield XD) without snap caps. In general though, I think snap caps are a good idea.

I've found that improving grip is the #1 thing that gives the best results. How well does your weak hand fill in the gap from your strong hand? How well do you lock your wrist? Where are your thumbs? What is your stance?

I'm also cross dominant. It isn't a big deal. I aim handguns with left eye and rifles with right eye. You just need to train your eye to focus on the front sight quickly. Are you wearing safety goggles/covers over your glasses?

I'm now shooting 4" groups at 10 yards with a 45, after maybe 3 months practice, once or twice a week.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Great questions ANZAC_1915,

These are points the instructor went over with me before and during my range time. He gave me one lesson to practice and we did it dry. He had me focus on the front sight, because he saw me dropping right before I fired, so the exercise was helpful. I did it fine dry, but still dropped consistently when shooting live ammo. I think my grip is fine and stance was OK, and that I need to concentrate on keeping my focus on the front sight.

I'll try to pick up some snap caps this weekend. Regular practice is good for any skill development, but I have to watch my budget. I'm still not earning what I used to make, so I need to plan accordingly.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Anticipating recoil is a nasty, insidious problem. I have trouble with it, too. Sometimes I even pull up. Even though you mainly have the problem only with live ammo, practicing without will help. You'll get used to shooting correctly, and you'll have less of an instinct to anticipate.

Also, try shooting with your left hand. You may find you can hit better. I do.
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Excellent choice to start practicing with an instructor. Means you won't have to unlearn bad habit in shooting stance, grip, flinching, etc.

And a good choice in handgun. John M. Browning is The Man!
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

Welcome to the shooting sports sir!
I am left handed and right eye dominant as well, but that hasn't stopped me. 20 years as a Marine MP and Criminal Investigator, and about ten years as a Cowboy Action Shooter as well. All it takes is practice. Be patient with yourself. I've been using a weaver stance for years; this alllows me to rest my chin on my left arm, and use my right eye to engage the sights. You can also use the isosceles hold; it's easier and works almost as well. If you can afford it, and if range facilities are available, try running about a box of ammo through your gun a month. Remember the four fundamentals; sight allignment, sight picture, breath control and trigger squeeze. And lastly, know this: a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!
R/S
Fritz
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Mark, welcome to the wonderful world of shooting. ;)

I was taken to a shooting range by Chewie last year and had a blast!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

M1917 wrote: a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!
I should have that put on a t-shirt! :lol:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

To Snap-cap or not Snap-Cap can almost be as argumentative a question as which maker's jacket shows up in which scene in any movie.

I'm not a fan of them, but to each his/her own.

I said my piece earlier here: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Mountaineer wrote: I said my piece earlier here: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like what you say about being familiar with a firearm in that thread, and becoming comfortable. It really is a vital part of shooting. Heck, I have trouble getting through safety briefings with an unfamiliar weapon! #-o (My local range requires yearly safety briefs and a drill, with an automatic pistol that has a manual safety... but I mainly fire revolvers. I embarrass myself every time.)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks Chewie, the only addition I'd make is that one's being comfortable with firearms is not, nor should ever become, one's being complacent with firearms.
droidgeek
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by droidgeek »

:lol: Welcome to the party pal!!

Have fun and be safe. Target shooting is addictive. Enjoy your new hobby!
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey All,

Indiana MarkVII, wecome to the wonderful world of shooting! Just remember, it all happens in the mind before it happens in the hand.

I've been shooting since I was eight (over forty years ago). I'm in armed security at a nuclear power plant and I re-qualify every year. I love snap caps! I practice often with them. I shoot a Browning Hi-Power (at home, not the plant). You want the firing pin to decelerate the hammer before it hits the firing pin retaining plate. Browning (and probably Inglises) have a bad habit of breaking those plates. Not good.

A-zoom dummy rounds are red anodized aluminum with a plastic piece in the primer pockets. There's little likelyhood of mistaking them for real rounds, and of course, NEVER point a gun at something you're not willing to destroy.

Practice, practice, practice. The voice in your head will tell you to rush the shot, you will feel incredible pressure to squeeze the trigger NOW. Don't do it. Put full mental effort in every shot. At first you will be slow, but in time, you'll be deadly accuate. It's a mind game. Don't give up! 'Nough said. :TOH:

Dan S
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanks Alkali

That sounds like great advice and I will take it to heart. After confirming stock of 9 mm snap caps, the store was sold out of them on the day of my class. I'll keep looking, but I saw the caps available for other caliber sizes.

This looks like a new fun hobby. a lot of the gun range rules are similar to the archery range rules I used to know so well.

And practice, practice, practice is good advice for any new and continuing skill. Where's my piano book?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Indiana MarkVII wrote: And practice, practice, practice is good advice for any new and continuing skill. Where's my piano book?
Why? Planning to use it for target practice? :lol:
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

BinK wrote:
Why? Planning to use it for target practice? :lol:
That's funny, Bink, but no, like Indy, I have an interest in music, too. I've come back to the trumpet after a long dry spell, and want to learn piano on my keyboard, too. I hope to someday own a real piano, too.

So if I learn to play it and I'm playing when you're around, please don't shoot the piano player!
unplugged
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by unplugged »

Wow, I didnt know that cross- dominance was that common. I too am dominant in my right hand and left eye.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Just wait until your targets start shooting back at you. That is when the real fun begins. :CR:
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

unplugged wrote:Wow, I didnt know that cross- dominance was that common. I too am dominant in my right hand and left eye.
Me too.

Dan S
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I think my arm is still sore from shooting that shotgun slug for the first time twenty years ago! :lol:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Alkali Jones wrote:
unplugged wrote:Wow, I didnt know that cross- dominance was that common. I too am dominant in my right hand and left eye.
Me too.

Dan S
Same here. Right handed and left eyed.

I have never had a problem with pistols, but, rifles are a different story.
Very awkward feeling when using iron sights with a low profile (like my Henry lever action. The straight stock doesn't help either).
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

kwad wrote:I have never had a problem with pistols, but, rifles are a different story.
Very awkward feeling when using iron sights with a low profile (like my Henry lever action. The straight stock doesn't help either).
The conventional wisdom is to shoot rifles strong hand, weak eye. That's what I do, no real issues.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

ANZAC_1915 wrote: The conventional wisdom is to shoot rifles strong hand, weak eye. That's what I do, no real issues.
That is what I'm doing now (It is just NOT possible to sight my rifle with my left eye while shooting right handed). I've tried shooting off-handed so I can use my dominant eye for sighting, but, that feels even more awkward and accuracy goes right down the drain.

I think my main problem is that I just need more range time with that rifle. I'm sure that with time and practice, it will begin to feel natural.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That's why they make shotguns! :lol: That said, you're not alone. I've got the same sighting issue.