Hides

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

riku1914
Vendor

Hides

Post by riku1914 »

Other than kangaroo and cow hides, what different type of hides have you guys have experiences with, i'd like to know other kinds i can try. Whether you have personally used the hide or know someone that has, i'd like to know.
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Hides

Post by Holmes »

I've heard of people using Buckskin before but I've never actually tried it myself.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I have a 12 footer made of buckskin, and it's been quite reliable in use.

It was made from a pair of deerskin hides I had laying around by a Sgt. of the Florida Highway patrol over 22 years ago. His family had owned a cow ranch (yep, ranch) in mid-Florida for generations, and they made their own whips to move their cattle around. He offered to make me one. It's not a bullwhip, but a long handled stockman's whip, and quite accurate.

I don't know what kind of longevitiy it would have in hard, constant use, but I haven't snapped it in half after all these years, so it must be a fairly good hide.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

goathide? Todd used to have someone in house to make whips, but I don't know if he still does?
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Scott,

I do believe that the current Todd's whips are indeed made of goat hide.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

;) :tup:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

The most popular hides are roohide, cowhide and kiphide. But also goatskin is used, like mentioned above. I have also heard about pigskin (rather poor stuff), horsehide (good material). My friend Kiscien used those materials, get in touch with him, if you'd like to know details (he's member here).
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

My grandpa had one made out of bison skin. He said it worked well and wad decently tough. Other than that I have never heard of it being used
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

We are big deer hunters around here, so this deer season i'll be keeping the hides and attempt to make some whips out of them.

Still looking for a splitter at some garage sales and what not though :tup:
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'd have to tan the the hides before they can be used for a whip. If that is the case I'd look into using something like this
From Cabela's
or this
From Murphy's whips.
I've also thought about tanning my own deer hides before since it would be a less expensive way to try a leather whip.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

You can make whips from deer rawhide too, Holmes. The problem with it seems that the preparation of the rawhide is something you must have a little experience. I think Louie Foxx has used rawhide for plaiting projects. He may be able to hope in.

As far as I know, you have to keep a certain level of moisture in the rawhide while working with it (cutting, paring, etc.). Another problem with it is that it shrinks when dry, and gets very stiff. You have to soften it by beating it before working, or lubricate it in some way.

I'm not really sure about this last thing, but I think rawhide is tougher and more durable than some tannages.

Hope that helps.

Aldo.

http://elasticrods.wordpress.com
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

It didn't even occur to me that untanned deer hide is still rawhide even though its not from cow. #-o Thanks Marhala
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I can tan it :TOH:
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

I'd love to give brain tan buckskin a try. I want to see for myself how different it is from kangaroo, goathide or cowhide.

:)

Aldo.

http://elasticrods.wordpress.com
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Rawhide is really tough to prepare to braid. It's one of those things that I think would take a lifetime to learn. I've got a great full flint hide in my shed waiting for me to use. I got it from an old rawhider (who taught me a lot about rawhide and untanned skins) he got it from a cow that got sick and starved to death on his neighbors property. However I don't want to touch this hide (it's still got the hair on it!) until I get better at the "feel" of using untanned skins.

It's not do A then do B to get C. It's do A till it feels right, then do B "but not too much B, but if you don't do enough B then it won't work" to get C.

I've used twisted rawhide as cores for bullwhips and bellies and done a lot of smaller projects with it. I've never done an overlay with it...however I've wanted to make set of romel reins in rawhide for a long time and I might do in the near future. I've got some OK rawhide that I bought to make the reins with.

Good rawhide isn't cheap (or easy to find...you can't get good stuff at your local Tandy) and you will have to throw away a lot of it, so it's not a much (if any) cheaper to use that kangaroo...and after you put in the time preparing the rawhide you have more labor into the work than with a roo whip.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org