Todds Whip durability

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Todds Whip durability

Post by mooniteman »

After using the search function I can't seem to locate a thread on how the Todd's whips hold up:

link: http://www.toddscostumes.com/product/35 ... -Bullwhip/

I'm thinking of getting the 8' for $99 - but how do these really hold up ? I had a Gus Caicedo whip for 3 years and it just recently broke beyond repair after some heavy whipping. I want to know who has one of Todds and whether it will stand the test of time.

Moony

Todds:
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Todds Whip durability

Post by hit80s »

I recently picked up a 6', for 65 bucks i was like what the heck. I bought it as a back up for my other whips and for the kids and their friends to play with. Out of the box it was no exception to what others have said very dry ,wondering seams, and a very poor fall that only lasts about 5 cracks before it breaks.After replacing the fall and rebraiding the point which will stretch sever times it has become a decent whip. It dose the circus crack with authority!! The thong stiffness off the handle is impressive for the price and appears to be made very well. As far as throwing multiple cracks not so good . The whip will bind when it is going against the natural curve of the whip in multiple throws. I hope i am explaning this so you can understand. I am hoping this will stop as the whip breaks in more. But for now its a one crack at a time whip. How ever it will do the woosh bang decent. the whoosh is a little weak. How long will it last? How much will you use it ? From what i can tell and i crack about a 45 minutes a few times a week i am hoping to get a couple of years from it If you are looking to improve your skills spend more money on something else. If you have some patience and are willing do some work on the whip get one. Todds whips do have some exsuses you have to work through. If you spend a little more you can get a whip thats great right out of the box that will last for years.
Just my 2 cents worth
Good luck Doran
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

BTW How bad is your other whip broken? Most times they can be repaired.
mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mooniteman »

It's mot too bad, but it's frayed to the point where if would have to be taken in several inches and I don't really want to loose any length on it.

Thanks for the advice - I may just get another of Gus's whips - maybe

- AJ
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

Gus makes a nice whip from what i have read.Going from his whips to a Todds whip would be a giant step backwards that I dont think you would like!