so...any ONE jacket owners out there?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Harry Gooch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: so...any ONE jacket owners out there?

Post by Harry Gooch »

I've got one off the peg Wested Washed Goat Raiders. About two years old. Every now and then I think about getting another jacket, but I always back off.

Harry.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

mimesis wrote: Hey, this jacket seems to fit you perfectly! One question, did you have to size down when you bought this jacket? :-k
Nope. I usually wear a 40R suit jacket and went with a 40R G&B. They may have made it so you get a wee bit more room, but I don't think I can wear a 38R without feeling like the Incredible Hulk in mid transformation.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Mr. Das wrote: Image
Mr. Das, it appears as though you are about to be shot out of a cannon!? Talk about distressing...!!! :shock:

Truely, there are some Men among Members and members among Men! Clearly, ONE is not a Man! :lol:

Jacket "Hall of Fame" thus far: Whiskeyman, JC1972, Canyon, KramStaar, RRPDD190, Harry Steele, Indiana Blooze, Wilbyc82, jlhampton (maybe?), Mr. Das, Strider, Indy Bugs and Doctor Julius Irving! I always wondered if Dr. J was a doctor a basketball player...? :-k I mean, was he occupational role confused?

:TOH:
Last edited by Texan Scott on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Mr. Das wrote:
mimesis wrote: Hey, this jacket seems to fit you perfectly! One question, did you have to size down when you bought this jacket? :-k
Nope. I usually wear a 40R suit jacket and went with a 40R G&B. They may have made it so you get a wee bit more room, but I don't think I can wear a 38R without feeling like the Incredible Hulk in mid transformation.
If I remember correctly, my G&B Expo was a 40R with a chest size of 23" across. If your chest size is actually 40" around, you'd easily fit a 38R given the amount of extra room (6 inches) they add.
The sleeves would probably be a bit short though. Mine was purchased in, 2009, I think. Maybe they've changed the sizing a little of the years? Great jackets regardless.
Lord_Clarence
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lord_Clarence »

One jacket here, and no need for another. I mean, how is it supposed to get distressed a la Michaelson if I am constantly rotating jackets?

Wested Raiders Authentic Brown Lamb, bought in 2005, and looking better with every passing year! I don't baby it; I take it to the wilderness and wear it daily in three seasons, and apart from some of the seams in the lining starting to go, it's holding up fine.

-LC

archiephotographycom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by archiephotographycom »

Canyon wrote:Yes! I still have my original and only Wested jacket which I bought on January 23rd 2003. ;)

Company: Wested Leather
Style: Authentic brown Raiders lambskin
Features: Satin lining
Modifications (if any): None
Cost: Inexpensive
Quality: Very good
Durability: Extremely good after destressing with sandpaper
Appearance: Very rugged and Indy like
Hardware: Zipper, D-Rings.
Comfort/Fit: Very comfortable
Shortcomings (if any): None, except I originally thought that the sleeves were too long, but upon reflection, realise that they are perfect as they are.
Review: Loved the jacket when I first got it and still love it now. Am always receiving compliments about the jacket and the destressing that I have done on it. All in all, am very happy with it.
Overall Rating: 9/10

Here are some pics of the jacket:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/canyon1899/h ... sted.2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://members.lycos.co.uk/canyon1899/h ... sted.3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://members.lycos.co.uk/canyon1899/h ... sted.4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://members.lycos.co.uk/canyon1899/h ... sted.5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://members.lycos.co.uk/canyon1899/h ... sted.6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://members.lycos.co.uk/canyon1899/h ... sted.8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here are some pics of me wearing the jacket. ;)

I love your style!
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

JC1972 wrote:I have just the USW Indy Hero import cowhide. :(

Hope to get another one soon at some point.
Well, back to none. Just sold the USW Indy hero. Back to start hunting for one once I find a job, maybe a Wested.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Good luck on that, JC! Don't know if you have seen it, but Wested is doing a clearance on ROLA Washed goat, a pretty good bragain if one is so inclined?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Texan Scott wrote:Good luck on that, JC! Don't know if you have seen it, but Wested is doing a clearance on ROLA Washed goat, a pretty good bragain if one is so inclined?
Yeah thanks I saw that, but I don't think they have longs on clearance.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

archiephotographycom wrote:I love your style!
Why, thank you! :oops: :TOH:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Re: so...any ONE jacket owners out there?.....

Definitely not me.... fell off the wagon 3 jackets bought in the last month. Two in so far....

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That first one looks like a nice, vintage throwback?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The first one is a horsehide halfbelt, probably 50's maybe earlier, sadly whilst the shoulders, sleeves and chest fine it really is too slim in the waist for me. (Or I am too round.). Sigh. I do think I will have to get someone to make me one of these...

The second is similar to classic bike jackets, this one is called a Mojave and I don't know how far back it's style dates, 60's perhaps. Waxed cotton and custom made in England, a real bike jacket, very strong. For less than the big name brands OTRs.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

With so many great choices out there, is it possible to own just one jacket?

I have assumed that one day, some of these choices won't be around any longer, for one reason or another.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As long as we live in areas with at least 3 seasons, there's always an excuse to own more than one jacket, layering or not.
:lol:
Regard! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...where there's a will there's a way! :D :tup:
sorensonal
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by sorensonal »

I got a Wested Raiders in horsehide about two years ago and it is my only Indy jacket and I absolutely love it. I wear it all the time, even when it is way to cold to be wearing it.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Great! Can you post some pics of the jacket?
Solo4114
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Solo4114 »

Yes and no.

Yes, I own ONE jacket.

No, I am not COMPLETELY satisfied with it, which is why I'm getting a new one and will retire the old one. :)
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

I am a "one" jacket owner. But only because I just started to seriously gear up. I got it from Wested in '08. It's lambskin, and I believe it's the RAIDERS version. At the time, I was planning to put together a serious Indy outfit, but had to put my plans on hold...almost immediately after I ordered it. I didn't shop around, and it was the first place I looked. But I began to get serious, again, around June of last year.

I've been looking at a few, and I'll definitely need to get at least one version from each of the films (I'm a hardcore completist). Can someone please tell me the best place to get them? Each seller, describes theirs as if it's the best one to get, so I've been slow to hit the commit button. And is the lambskin preferable to the cowhide?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

wwhisko wrote:I've been looking at a few, and I'll definitely need to get at least one version from each of the films (I'm a hardcore completist). Can someone please tell me the best place to get them? Each seller, describes theirs as if it's the best one to get, so I've been slow to hit the commit button. And is the lambskin preferable to the cowhide?
These questions open a myriad perspectives and responses and should best be asked and answered with an inquiry thread. Fundamentally, though, the best Indy jacket is the one that is best for you. ;) The Raiders jacket was lamb, if that is any help, though.
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

Thank you, Scott. That does help. I'm new here, and still feeling my way around. I appreciate the direction for inquiries. Hope I didn't bug anyone, too badly.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Don't worry, the Jacket section is the mellowest place around. No-one ever gets upset about anything here.

LJ
:Plymouth:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

wwhisko wrote:Thank you, Scott. That does help. I'm new here, and still feeling my way around. I appreciate the direction for inquiries. Hope I didn't bug anyone, too badly.
No prblem. Open an inquiry thread and post away. It can be a bit overwhelming at first. There are several good choices out there. Best thing to do is to have an idea in mind, criteria, something that helps to narrow it down some.
SciFlyGuy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SciFlyGuy »

I like this thread. There's nothing quite like a bit of group therapy.

I'm a one jacket men and it's a goat skin Wested (off the rack) bought in about 2006... but I'm starting to get the shakes and I'm eyeing up a new LC jacket.

:-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Check these threads for good LC jacket inspiration:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... st+crusade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've had time to look through these threads some, then hit the main site and filter the information. Somewhere in there lies your new LC jacket. ;)
Lord_Clarence
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lord_Clarence »

Twice now, recently, my wife has said something to the effect of, "That jacket is really looking worse for wear. Is it time for a new jacket?" or, "So, have you started planning what jacket you're going to get next?"

To which I patiently explain, again, that it's the point of this jacket to become worn and look the part, and I don't need a new one. (The lining has separated/torn here and there, easily repaired.)

Many of you are now saying what in the name of Mola Ram is the MATTER with you?! But it's true, as far as Indy jackets go, I don't want another jacket. This one fits me like a glove, is the perfect weight for where I live, and is becoming nicely weathered after six years of use. The only reason I would replace it is if it were stolen, caught fire, or got shredded by an animal.

Now, if there were a great Han Solo Bespin* jacket available for less than $300, well, that's another story--my next jacket Holy Grail.

-LC

*Of course, he wore that jacket throughout the movie, but the action figure was called Bespin Han Solo, so that's what I call the jacket, and everybody knows what I'm talking about.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I'm back to a one-jacket guy :D ... a Todd's Standard in XXL. I didn't think it would fit. May be a bit big in the body, I have the straps cinched all the way. Sleeves and length are perfect for Raiders though. I just got this, sold some things on ebay and my wife was okay with it since I started working again:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/J ... 0Standard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Go get 'em, JC..workin' may-an! ;) :tup:
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

JC1972......That jacket is quite simply bazzin'!! :D :D :D

Let the gear fund start to grow again!! :lol:

Ian
Chris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chris »

I only have one jacket- well as soon as it gets here...

I bought the Wested Raiders 38 custom in cowhide. I wanted something that looked great and was functional (hard wearing).
I love being able to wear clothing in both hard conditions, and out to dinner in good restaurant. Flexibility is the key.
I almost went for the horse hide, but I wasn't sure how it would look/wear.

Great forum and site by the way. I never would have heard of Wested or Adventurebild if not for this site.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Welcome, Chris from Canberra, enjoy your jacket and post some pics when you can. ;)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

This isn't a great picture of my ONE jacket, but you can see the nice matte finish that it has.

That's my Wested Temple of Doom in washed goat. It's a few years old now, but it's my only jacket and I wouldn't wish for another one! It's exactly what I wanted in an Indy jacket. The only thing I wish would be different about it is that I wish the sleeves had been a little longer so I could wrinkle them up. But I love that jacket!

Shane
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That's crazy good! My thought from just looking at the pics was that it was either the dark novapelle or the washed goathide. Enter jacket promiced land with just the jacket you want! :tup:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks! I've always thought that a good, used jacket shouldn't be shiny like a chrome tanned lamb or something. My first jacket was a Raiders Auth. Lamb, which was a good jacket too, but when I outgrew it, I replaced it with this and have had it ever since. Love that thing, and the fit is just great!

Shane
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

From that shot the sleeves look great, nice and wrinkled on the left arm..Really goes with the hoodie!!! :clap:

Ian
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks Ian - there are definitely some wrinkles happening there on the sleeves, but not as bad (or good) as the ones Indy's got on his when he gets back to the... village people... :-s

I'm glad you think it goes alright with the hoodie too. The bad thing about these Indy jackets is that they really aren't the warmest things in the world, and I was in Vancouver when that was taken, so I needed that extra layer!

Shane
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

McFly wrote:Thanks Ian - there are definitely some wrinkles happening there on the sleeves, but not as bad (or good) as the ones Indy's got on his when he gets back to the... village people...
I never knew Indy could sing.. :lol:

I like to wear mine with a hoodie when the cold takes a grip....

Ian
Chris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chris »

I can't wait to post some pics- it'll mean my jacket has arrived!!!
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

yup, and it's a cotton Wested I waxed to look leathery. I love it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47569&hilit=+wested" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

You know, e_w, the more I see of that jacket, the more I think I'd like to try that myself. :TOH:

LJ
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Nice pic there, Woody! Looks like you are ready for the Hovitos chase, but your facial expression is reminiscent of LC ? ;)

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2995948800/tt0097576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That hat is really shaping up, as well! :tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I like the look of that jacket E/W. :TOH:
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Right now it's just the wested lamb. I love it. It has a great feel and wear to it. I would be interested in getting a ToD cowhide or maybe something in goat. I've never had one so I'm curious. :)
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Texan Scott wrote:Nice pic there, Woody! Looks like you are ready for the Hovitos chase, but your facial expression is reminiscent of LC ? ;)

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2995948800/tt0097576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That hat is really shaping up, as well! :tup:
Ta, the hat is Fed IV, standard, I reblocked myself
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

enigmata_wood wrote:yup, and it's a cotton Wested I waxed to look leathery. I love it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47569&hilit=+wested" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm a NO jacket guy... but this is what I want! The cotton version!

Leather?? Here in the tropics??? NO WAYYYY!!! I can't even step outside that long without sweating (especially now it's summer once again).
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Maybe the wested cotton jacket that details the specs, etc. needs its own thread? to my knowledge, there is none to date, but clearly a good opportunity to inform other potential buyers?
Chris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chris »

I am now officially a one jacket owner! :D

My jacket has arrived!!!

Now to work out how to get pictures happening... :-k
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Chris wrote:I am now officially a one jacket owner! :D

My jacket has arrived!!!

Now to work out how to get pictures happening... :-k
Congrats Chris! :clap:
Can't wait to see the photos! :)

Joe
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

My Magnoli Raiders!
After almost 2 years and lots of wear it's still going strong! I plan to buy another yet... not too sure which style. But I dont feel I need another as yet :)
Might be a different story if I actually got dragged behind the back of a truck :TOH: