Braid Braid Braiid

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Braid Braid Braiid

Post by hit80s »

o3 u3 o3 u3 o3 u3 .........kinda numbs the mind after a spell! Anyone else have little callouses on the outside of the index finger on the first joint? lol
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Braid Braid Braiid

Post by rawvoodoo »

Im doing my first stock whip right now. Its much harder than I was thinking it was going to be but I have already identified a few mistakes that I will need to change next time around. What are you working on?
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Are you braiding from Ron Edwards or Bruce Grant's book? Get David Morgan's book...it's U3 O3, much faster.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

I am experimenting with a nylon ph whip. Louie I guess i am doing u3 o3 my mind was numb
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

hit80s wrote:o3 u3 o3 u3 o3 u3 .........kinda numbs the mind after a spell! Anyone else have little callouses on the outside of the index finger on the first joint? lol
Oh yes, I had really good ones after finishing my first 8ft nylon bullwhip. I want make another one in the near future, but I'm not looking forward going through that again.
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

I remember braiding my first nylon whip.... ugh, felt like my fingers had been pulled out from the knuckles! :shock: Was sore for a week afterwards...
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Ever seen pictures of David Morgan's hands? They look DEFORMED from all the years of braiding! And it's not just his age now. They've been like that for quite a while.

I'm considering experimenting a bit in whip braiding, (just a little nylon. Not wanting to take it up as a new hobby, just trying to better appreciate what our talented artisans do!)
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

thefish wrote:I'm considering experimenting a bit in whip braiding, (just a little nylon. Not wanting to take it up as a new hobby, just trying to better appreciate what our talented artisans do!)
You say that now, but when you are making your second and third whip, youll be like DOH! ](*,)
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Yeah yeah, I know.

But I am ACTIVELY TRYING NOT to take up new hobbies.
stoneman
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by stoneman »

the pain goes away after a while, that is unless you take some time off and then this happens ( my pinky finger)

another thing that's painful is when a callous dries out and cracks all the way down to the pink stuff, that really freaken' hurts. I'd rather a new blister than have that happen
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Ooooh, I bet that was a nasty blister before it dried out.
I remember getting ones just like it in the same place when I made my first whip.
Nylon certainly is rough on the hands.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Blisters appear on my fingers when plaiting an overlay, bellies are 'blisters-free' :) And they heal for a week or so. Pretty awful, but there is a problem, when you have blisters and you have to finish your whip. Bandages and there you go. Imagine how the fingers look after finishing the whip.
Yep, David Morgan has really deformed fingers, look here:
http://www.indygear.com/images/gear/whip/davemorgan.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But he has been plaiting for 40 years or so.
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

There is good news my last whip with a 5' thong only took 5 hours to complete so I am getting faster and keeping my seams from wondering!
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

I feel your pain I try not to take breaks between whips so I can keep my callouses
hit80s wrote:There is good news my last whip with a 5' thong only took 5 hours to complete so I am getting faster and keeping my seams from wondering!
Sounds like you're doin good work. I'm still working on keeping the seams straight. Do you plait form a vice or from a hook?
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

I use a hook in my basement for now.....when the weather gets a little nicer I will try using my vise in the garage.I am looking for a challenge and am thinking about making a basic leather 4 p stockwhip in Ron Edwards book as someday I would like to make decent leather whips.Nylon has been a good start. Just for info here at the fabric store i found lead loaded lace that they use to weight curtains, Its like a thread with little fishing weights attached every 1/8 inch and that is incased in a cotton sleeve, It worked great in my last whip. It saved a buttload of time over loading para cord with lead shot.Its only .99 cents a yard
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... D=prd36705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; here is a link to the lead cord i spoke about
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Thanks for the heads up on the weighted cord. :tup:
(I also dread having to load a strand of paracord with BB's. That would save much time!)

There is a JoAnnes fabric down the road from me. I'll have to go and pick some up.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

stoneman wrote:the pain goes away after a while, that is unless you take some time off and then this happens ( my pinky finger)

another thing that's painful is when a callous dries out and cracks all the way down to the pink stuff, that really freaken' hurts. I'd rather a new blister than have that happen
you think that's bad? my first "real" whip i recently made was a 20 plait, with strands just over 2.5mm wide, my fingers were SO torn up, i finished a couple days ago and they're still healing :lol:
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

riku1914 wrote:you think that's bad? my first "real" whip i recently made was a 20 plait, with strands just over 2.5mm wide, my fingers were SO torn up, i finished a couple days ago and they're still healing :lol:
:Dietrich: sounds insane to me. Got any pics.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Holmes wrote:
riku1914 wrote:you think that's bad? my first "real" whip i recently made was a 20 plait, with strands just over 2.5mm wide, my fingers were SO torn up, i finished a couple days ago and they're still healing :lol:
:Dietrich: sounds insane to me. Got any pics.
As a matter of fact...

( i couldn't get leather because i don't have a splitter so it's made out of leather lookalike vinyl )

I didn't do a diamond plait on the handle cuz the material wouldn't cooperate, i hope when you said if i had any pics you meant of the whip and not my finger :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

riku1914 wrote:I didn't do a diamond plait on the handle cuz the material wouldn't cooperate, i hope when you said if i had any pics you meant of the whip and not my finger :lol:
:lol: Yes I meant the whip and not your finger. That must have taken a long time to plait all that. I've never heard of anyone using a vinyl to make a whip before, how does it handle?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

It's kinda light, cracks like the forward crack don't do well because of the lack of momentum, not matter if you throw light or hard,

if i ever use vinyl again ( which i'm gonna be making a snakewhip as a present out of vinyl thats 1/8" wide, the stuff i used in that

whip was 3/32" wide ) it'll be shorter, but if i ever use vinyl again for a whip 6+ ft., i'll use vinyl for my bellies, then do the overlay in

leather. It was kidna windy the day i tested it so i'll go out and test it again to see if that had any effect on the "feel" of the whip.

And yes this entire whip i had probably 20 hours into, not only because the strands were only 2.4mm wide, but also because it's only

my third whip and i was still developing my style of plaiting. I had PLENTY of time to find it by the time i finished this one though.

edit: yeah it's too light to do very much good stuff with. The flow of it looks really nice though :P
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Riku,

For a fourth whip, It looks pretty good :tup:

As for the lightness of the whip, how did you make your core?
The vinyl is going to be much lighter than leather and would probably require a weighted core to work properly.

However, May I recommend you substitute the vinyl lace with nylon para-cord?
It is an excellent material for whip making (some would say it is a superior material to leather, but, I will leave that debate for another thread).
Also, it is fairly inexpensive (I paid somewhere around $40 for my last spool of 1000 feet).
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

kwad wrote:Riku,

The vinyl is going to be much lighter than leather and would probably require a weighted core to work properly.

It is an excellent material for whip making (some would say it is a superior material to leather, but, I will leave that debate for another thread).
Also, it is fairly inexpensive (I paid somewhere around $40 for my last spool of 1000 feet).
+1 :tup:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Holmes wrote:
kwad wrote:Riku,

+1 :tup:
already used paracord.

by the way it's my 3rd whip also :lol:

i'm going to be making a 6 ft. bullwhip with a shot loaded cord outta this vinyl just to give it one last chance.

edit: where did you get it for $40 for 1k ft. spool? i bought 300 ft. for $25, and the 1k ft. spools were 65+
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Your third whip? That makes it even better! :lol:

I get my para-cord from http://www.parachute-cord.com

They sell 1000' spools of black, white and olive drab are $38.95, all other colors are $44.95.
Add $10 for shipping, so I guess I paid $48.95 for my last spool.
All in all, not a bad price.

Good luck with the 6' bullwhip. Let us know how it turns out!
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Also as i save up for a splitter and what not i'm going to be using this stuff ( after the vinyl )

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/laces.htm

almost all the way down the page :

Walnut Brown Leather Lace on a Spool

3/16" wide ( wish it was 1/4 but it's better than the vinyl 3/32" :-s ) and it's 1/16" thick. Also it's a 200yd. spool, for $50 USD, the price includes shipping. I'll be using pecards leather dressing as well.