My US Wings Imported Legend Cowhide Updated 5/1/2011

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

My US Wings Imported Legend Cowhide Updated 5/1/2011

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, after looking over a lot of jacket threads here and going back and forth quite a bit between the cowhide and the SL lamb I decided to go with the cowhide version. I'm fairly "accident prone" in real life and I figured the cowhide might hold up somewhat better on me than the SL lamb would. I'm forever bumping into stuff and after viewing a few of the "Show Us" SL Lamb threads it seemed the lambskin was a little bit easer to nick and tear.

Another reason I choose the cowhide over the lamb had to do with what I was seeing when it came to the thickness of both jackets. The SL lamb appears to me to be a bit thicker than the cowhide, again that could just be me. This along with wanting something that's a bit light in color than what I've previously worn all have to do with personal taste. :) The reason I choose the import over the US made version is simply a matter of my budget and what I can afford to shell out for a new jacket.

These are updated shots I FINALLY got around to taking the other day. This is the extra large that I exchanged the large for. :TOH:

Last edited by Pitfall Harry on Sun May 01, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Just ordered a US Wings imported cowhide Legend.

Post by Indyzane »

You have chosen..... wisely. 

What size did you get?
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I choose Large Regular because that's normally what I wear. :TOH:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

You are going to be in for a treat!
The Imported cowhide is NICE.

Very tough, yet still softens up nicely.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Yeah, I can't wait to try the jacket on myself and feel the leather. :) :lol: How long is the wait now for the jackets once you place your order? :-k
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Mine took about a week for delivery.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I *almost* paid the extra to have it delivered in 2 days but decided to go with ground shipping because I THOUGHT I could wait.....Now I'm sitting here chomping at the bit to get it. :lol:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:) :tup:

Good Luck with this, Harry... I'm sure it'll look great on you!
Can't wait to see a few pictures once you've got it.
:TOH:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I saw your pics of your SL Mitch and I believe you and I are close to the same size and I was so so close to purchasing that jacket because of your fantastic shots. :notworthy: :tup: I ended up though at the last minute going for the cowhide due to my knack of being a klutz plus the import's price range worked better for me. :lol:

I definitely being taking some pics, when don't I? ;) :lol:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:lol:

Cheers, my friend... always lookin' forward to photos of you sporting fine Indy Gear.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Wow! I got an e-mail earlier letting me know that my jacket would be arriving tomorrow. That's fast! :shock: :lol:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:clap: Good for you PH, hope to see some pics soon!

Travis
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: My US Wings imported cowhide Legend with pics 2/16/2011

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I just edited the very first post and added the pics. :TOH:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Lookin' good Harry!

One question. Is the zipper on yours silver or brass? It looks to be silver in the pics.
It also appears to stop an inch or so from the bottom. My jacket (same model and size) has an antiqued brass zipper which extends to the bottom hem. :-k
Last edited by kwad on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Looks GREAT, Harry!
:D :tup:
I have no doubt that this new jacket of yours will break in just beautifully! As nice as it looks right now (and MAN, does it), I'm sure it's going to get better and better as the weeks go by. :clap:

Now, I don't have that jacket in that particular hide myself, so I'm unqualified to answer the "tricks for training the collar" question myself... so I'll leave it to others who have one of these beauties to help you out with that.
Congrats, my friend!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Mike and Mitch, glad you guys like it. :TOH: :)

kwad wrote:Lookin' good Harry!

One question. Is the zipper on yours silver or brass? It looks to be silver in the pics.
It also appears to stop an inch or so from the bottom. My jacket (same model and size) has an antiqued brass zipper which extends to the bottom hem. :-k
Kwad, my zipper is indeed silver and not brass and it does more or less stop an inch before the bottom of the jacket. Which, to me at least , isn't unusual because I have other jackets like that including my G&B Indy Lambskin. Is it suppose to extend further down? :-k I mean it feels right to me and the zipper works beautifully. :)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Harry,
Both of my Wested's were like that as well.
However, on my US Wings Cowhide Import, the zipper goes all the way to the bottom (and it is brass). I wonder when they changed that?
I wish mine would have come with a silver zipper. It looks much better than the brass :tup:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Looks like you got a good fit Harry! As to training the collar, I was able to work it with my hands, rolling it up and molding it until it looked right. If it's too stubborn, dampen it, or hit it with a little steam. These jackets break in quickly, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. Congrats, and thanks for the pics!

Weston
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

kwad wrote:Harry,
Both of my Wested's were like that as well.
However, on my US Wings Cowhide Import, the zipper goes all the way to the bottom (and it is brass). I wonder when they changed that?
I wish mine would have come with a silver zipper. It looks much better than the brass :tup:
Is your import cowhide the only one like that or are some of the other members who have had theirs for a while the same as yours? :-k Like I said above most of my other jackets including my G&B Lambskin are the same. Even though I had no real preference about the zipper color I do like the silver with this color of leather. The first thing I noticed when I put it on was how nice the zipper actually worked. A lot of other jackets I've owned from the start never had zippers that worked as smoothly as this one. :tup: :)

You want to hear something funny. I put the jacket back on after I responded to your last post and I opened the right front pocket and found a couple of leather samples in it with blue tags stapled to them. One is quite a big sample that's marked "lamb" and the other says "calf or cow" on it. I think it must be calf because the leather doesn't match the hide on my jacket and that is cow. The sample is very very smooth and the color is slightly darker than the color of my jacket. :-k

Weston wrote:Looks like you got a good fit Harry! As to training the collar, I was able to work it with my hands, rolling it up and molding it until it looked right. If it's too stubborn, dampen it, or hit it with a little steam. These jackets break in quickly, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. Congrats, and thanks for the pics!

Weston
Thanks Weston, for the feedback and the tips on shaping the collar. :TOH: It has relaxed a lot since I got it this afternoon. I'll mess with it more this week, maybe if it's to stubborn try a bit of steam. :)

By the way I was wondering if you knew if this was true or not? I can't remember where I heard this but someone brought up cowhide and said that over the years it doesn't shrink like the other leathers but instead kinda expands somewhat?! :? I just haven't owned anything made of cowhide before and was kinda wondering if that was right. :-k
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I haven't heard that Pitfall. I wouldn't count on it expanding unless deliberately manipulated. If anything, it will conform to your body with wear.

Weston
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Great looking jacket there Harry!! Makes me wish I'd got one....

Ian
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Thanks, Ian. :TOH:

Weston, thanks for the help. :TOH:
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Great looking jacket and great fit Harry, another homerun from US Wings!!

Kwad, the zipper on my US cow Legend is brass and stops about an inch above the bottom hem. In fact none of my Indy jackets zips extend to the bottom hem, Todd's does come close but is still short, and a couple of my other Indy jackets are almost two inches from the bottom hem. :-k

PS: Pitfall I know you only wore the jacket to show it off, however where did you get that belt buckle? It would be very suitable for several Luke Skywalker belts.
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

Harry, love how the jacket the fit on you! Looking great :tup:

As for the zipper, it's probably from a different batch as mine is the same as Kwad's, with the brass zipper and extending all the way to the bottom and the pocket is more scalloped.

You'll love the leather as time goes by, incredibly soft and drapes well. The graining will pop up and really gives a wonderful texture to it. I put Obenauf's leather Oil on my jacket and it became very soft. As you can see on Kwad's thread, it drapes like lambskin.

As for cowhide leather shrinking, the other jacket that I have which is the Hero Cow, it has definitely shrink down a bit, especially on the sleeves and shoulders but then again, that is my warhorse jacket, been through extreme climate conditions like tropical rains, humidity, dry desert-like hot days when out in the field. So I guess cowhide will shrink...in time and in extreme distressed conditions. If anything, I believe the leather on this Legend being a different type, will conform to your body in a few weeks time and make itself your own :D
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

scot2525 wrote:Great looking jacket and great fit Harry, another homerun from US Wings!!

Kwad, the zipper on my US cow Legend is brass and stops about an inch above the bottom hem. In fact none of my Indy jackets zips extend to the bottom hem, Todd's does come close but is still short, and a couple of my other Indy jackets are almost two inches from the bottom hem. :-k

PS: Pitfall I know you only wore the jacket to show it off, however where did you get that belt buckle? It would be very suitable for several Luke Skywalker belts.
Thanks, Scot. :) Yeah, I'm very happy with the color and the leather. I can't wait to see how the hide looks after I break the jacket in. :)

The buckle came with the belt I'm wearing. I picked it up at a local Target about a year ago. :TOH:

damieneo wrote:Harry, love how the jacket the fit on you! Looking great :tup:

As for the zipper, it's probably from a different batch as mine is the same as Kwad's, with the brass zipper and extending all the way to the bottom and the pocket is more scalloped.

You'll love the leather as time goes by, incredibly soft and drapes well. The graining will pop up and really gives a wonderful texture to it. I put Obenauf's leather Oil on my jacket and it became very soft. As you can see on Kwad's thread, it drapes like lambskin.

As for cowhide leather shrinking, the other jacket that I have which is the Hero Cow, it has definitely shrink down a bit, especially on the sleeves and shoulders but then again, that is my warhorse jacket, been through extreme climate conditions like tropical rains, humidity, dry desert-like hot days when out in the field. So I guess cowhide will shrink...in time and in extreme distressed conditions. If anything, I believe the leather on this Legend being a different type, will conform to your body in a few weeks time and make itself your own :D
Thanks, Damieneo. :TOH:

The thing I'm loving right this second about the jacket is that my room where I've got the jacket hanging is filled with that "new leather" smell. :D My only concern about the leather shrinking is the fact that right now it fits me perfectly.....any significant shrinking down the road *might* make it to small for me to wear. :? I'm looking forward to wearing it with the rest of my gear whenever I do another photoshoot. :)
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

What happened to the pocket flaps? My imported cow Legend has incredibly amazing scalloped pocket flaps and I was thinking of ordering another one but if they changed it that's bad news for me. I'll have to get the US version and I hope they didn't change that one. My cow Legend is by far the best I've ever had and I want one just like it again. It's like the TN pocket taken from the Hawaiian jacket.

Mine looks like Kwad's

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

That was a fast edit, I'm a web designer and I'm impressed. The us wings web site still has the photos of the scalloped pocket flaps I'm talking about. Not trying to knock us wings at all, I'm really happy with the imported cow Legend, it's awesome. It took me years to get what I wanted and that one is it. Just want the same one again at some point soon, thanks.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Um...yeah, I dunno. It's not something I noticed nor that I really care about either way. I've never been the type of gear head that got THAT into this stuff....My main concern is if the jacket fits, functions the way it's suppose to, doesn't have any major defects and is a color I like. :TOH:
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

I know... it's a disease, fell in love with it and now I'm stuck. What am I gonna do? Should get some therapy... NO WAY! I want another cow NOW!

Gonna save for a Schott that's what I'll do, yeah.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Harry,

I wouldn't worry about the jacket shrinking.
The leather on mine has actually stretched a bit in some places.
In my original pictures, you can see that the shoulder seams line up with edges of my shoulders.
After wearing it for about a week, the seems began to droop off of my shoulders by about an inch or so on either side (which is how it should fit). Also, I needed to tighten the straps a few times since I got it.

It looks like a completely different jacket then when I first got it (but, it has been a change for the better).

You say that the pocket contained leather samples and one was marked as "calf"?
I wonder if that sample is what remains of the fabled "SA Calfskin" jackets that were never made. :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Nice jacket, Chris! I really like mine, wouldn't trade it for a plug nickel. ;)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Kwad,

Yeah, the sample says "Calf or Cow" right on the blue piece of paper that's stapled to it. Now to me it doesn't look like the cowhide so I'm assuming it's the calf. :? I wasn't around when these jackets were just in the "blue print" stage so I didn't know there was talk of making them available in calfskin?! :-k

Thanks, Scott.... :TOH: Even though I wouldn't trade mine in for a "plug nickel" either I *have* decided that I'm going to contact US Wings and exchange it for an Extra Large instead of a Large. The Large fits me but after kinda wearing it off and on around the house a bit and to take the shots shown above it just feels a bit to short and tight on me. I just feel I'd be better off in the long run going one size up so that's what I'm going to do. :TOH:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Pitfall Harry wrote:I wasn't around when these jackets were just in the "blue print" stage so I didn't know there was talk of making them available in calfskin?!
Yes, that was....ah....an interesting time. :#:

Anyways, at one point, calfskin was "SA" and on the menu, then it wasn't.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, it would be interesting if it was calfskin, as it was reported that they just couldn't GET calfskin for the run, and therefore went in another direction. If that was the case, why make one in the first place?

It's possible, though. Over the years USW has made prototypes, decided not to go with a particular style or hide, then just hang them in with the rest of the stock and sell it out the door with the rest of the inventory.

You may have one of thoes prototypes, Pit.

As an aside, G&B does the same thing, but you'll find their prototypes usually show up in their clearance area rather than regular stock.

Regards! Michaelson
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, just to be clear it was a sample of leather I found in the jacket pocket that had a little blue tag stapled to it with the words "Calfskin or Cow"......I'm fairly certain that my jacket itself is made out of Cowhide. :TOH:

The leather sample is very smooth and really nice. I could only imagine how nice a jacket made out of calfskin would be. :)

I contacted US Wings last night via their e-mail to get a return authorization code to ship my jacket back and exchange it for an extra large. I'm shipping back everything that came with the jacket including these leather samples because I don't believe I was meant to have them to begin with. :lol:

By the way does anyone know if US Wings is closed today due to it being Presidents Day? :-k
damian della morte
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damian della morte »

i have the us version and the pockets are scalloped
Kubrik wrote:What happened to the pocket flaps? My imported cow Legend has incredibly amazing scalloped pocket flaps and I was thinking of ordering another one but if they changed it that's bad news for me. I'll have to get the US version and I hope they didn't change that one. My cow Legend is by far the best I've ever had and I want one just like it again. It's like the TN pocket taken from the Hawaiian jacket.

Mine looks like Kwad's

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

You ordered this when and received it when, Pitfall? :-k
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I ordered it I believe on 2/13/11 and it arrived on 2/16/11. :TOH:

By the way I just sent this jacket back to exchange it for an XL. The size of the jacket in these shots is a large. :TOH:
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

That sounds promising. I can't wait to get mine! I ordered a Large Long so I hope it won't take long to ship.

Be sure to post photos of the replacement jacket. :tup:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I don't know if I was just "lucky" the first time around but the jacket got here fairly quick. I was a bit shocked. I'd venture to guess that some of it might have had to do with me ordering a regular. The "longs" aren't a size a lot of people need so they probably have less in stock. I wouldn't worry if yours doesn't get to you as fast as mine did. :TOH:

It's probably going to be a while before I get the extra large.....I'll post new shots when I get it. :)
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Emailed Wings asking how much longer on XL US Straited Lambs Longs. Sarge replied "maybe late next week!" [-o<
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, mine isn't suppose to arrive back to US Wings until this Friday and then they say on their site it takes about 3 weeks to process exchanges and returns so I'm not expecting my new one back anytime soon, which is fine.....I'm not in any rush.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Hey Harry- just curious, you said it took 3 days to ship. Did you just get the regular ground shipping or the extra cost shipping?
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Understood Pitfall. I was just curious to see how long it took you to get the jacket. Just sort of trying to figure how long they take to ship. I'm getting different answers so I'll just have to be patient and wait on this one. ;)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

jnicktem wrote:Hey Harry- just curious, you said it took 3 days to ship. Did you just get the regular ground shipping or the extra cost shipping?
Nope, just had it shipped the regular way. I didn't pay for anything extra. Of course I'm just a state away from US Wings too so maybe that's got something to do with it? :-k
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I am in an adjacent state to US Wings and shipping has always been fast if the product is in stock. It only takes one day for the item to arrive on my door step after it ships via UPS ground. The one time I had to do an excahange with Wings I shipped the jacket back on a Friday, it was recieved on Monday, the new jacket was shipped Tuesday and arrived Wednesday.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Just to update this thread a bit. I received my XL replacement jacket today and I'm very happy with the fit. \:D/ :D I feel now like the jacket is less "constrictive" on me and I have a little more freedom of movement. For me personally I feel I made the right choice by going up a size. :)

When I get around to it I'll post some pics of this new one. :TOH:

Kwad, you'll be interested to know that mine is now JUST like yours. The zipper on this jacket extends to near the bottom and is brass. I believe the color might also be a bitt darker than my large was. :-k
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Can't wait to see it Pitfall!

Weston
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Cool Harry,

Can't wait to see the new one. The old one did look a little too trim on you to get the Raiders look.

As for the zipper, I'm liking the way it goes all the way down. It keeps the bottom of the storm flap closed (no need for a snap).
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

kwad wrote:Cool Harry,

Can't wait to see the new one. The old one did look a little too trim on you to get the Raiders look.

As for the zipper, I'm liking the way it goes all the way down. It keeps the bottom of the storm flap closed (no need for a snap).
Yep, when I put it on to show my wife after she got home from work she said it looked a lot better on me. I *did* notice that about the zipper earlier this afternoon after I had put it on. That's when I realized it wasn't as short as the one on the large. I wonder why the zippers are different between the sizes OR if maybe my large was maybe some kind of prototype I got by mistake? I mean it didn't have a tag on it like this one does and it came with those leather samples in the right pocket. :-k I'm also pretty certain this new jacket is a darker brown too.... ;)