Post by Hollowpond »

So, if I might be so bold to ask, where did this pattern come from? :-k

Travis
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested 'Hero' Raiders in Ribby Merino

Post by Gorak »

Holt..did I read correctly?..a thin lambtouch cowhide?
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

Hollowpond wrote:So, if I might be so bold to ask, where did this pattern come from? :-k

Travis
Holt
Craftsman

Re: KT's new jacket....

Post by Holt »

Yes gorak. Very much like the todds cowhide only darker so you can understand why im torn. Lol. Peter felt this skin would be too thin but imo the raiders is thin
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Re: Wested 'Hero' Raiders in Ribby Merino

Post by Hollowpond »

ThatManFromRio wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:So, if I might be so bold to ask, where did this pattern come from? :-k

Travis
Bwaaaahahahahaha!!!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Holt wrote: He also have the lambtouch. Michaelson will be pleased to know this. Im still torn if i should go with that skin instead. Peter said it would be too thin but i dont know. Im very torn.
I am pleased. :M: :tup: He made me one that I wore to the second QM summit back in 2003 (or was it 2002? :-k ). Anyway, it was one of my favorite all time hides that ever came out of Wested. I'm glad he has it again.

Not sure why he said it would be too thin. HE talked me into it at the time, and I whole hearted agreed with him after I got it. Not sure why the change of heart now. :?

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Travis
I'm thinking a little tv show called Smallville. It looks just like Clarks red denim jacket

... Wait what forum am I on? :#:

:[

:-

#-o
Nevermind, I just read my hyperlink ](*,)

:lol:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Kt Templar wrote:
This is the 'Hero' with me giving him my own buckles and pockets sized for me and I asked for the K stitch. Confirm those little details and you are good to go.
Where did you get the buckles from? I've been eyeballing these...
http://www.ahh.biz/products/hardware/mi ... ILSPEC.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I found mine in a random ebay sweep.

Those could work. Maybe fractionally bigger than mine. I think there are some out there with a 1" high 'hole'.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

So when will this be an offering up on the site? Can we order now? Is it the standard "custom" price? Who has the record in this thread for the most consecutive questions? ;)

Travis
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Im no westeds spokesmann. Im just retelling what was said to me. I think yu just have to call them or send an email to let them kno that you want the hero. I spoke to pete yesterday and he told me the price was going to be around 280-300 pounds.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Was that for this type of hide? Or this pattern? I would like to have a goat hide like you are talking about Holt...

Travis
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Ok...wait a minute. Peter's current offering in the custom range is 165 pounds (about $265). What justifies the price increase to 300 pounds (about $480)? :-k Not saying its not worth it, I just want to know why.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Dear Lord that's a huge jump. :shock:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

He explained why to me but i think its best for everybody to ask him about that. I just retold the price he said in case anybody wonderd what the price tag was
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

If that's the correct price then I'm going to spend ten more bucks, and get one from magnoli that is EXACTLY like I like (distressings and all). I feel like a lot of other gear heads will feel the same way...

I do hate feeling this way, I was looking forward to getting a wested.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Travis,
I'd say you could order a custom from Peter instead and save more cash that way.... As long as you know what you want in advance Peter can take a long list of stuff to change from the "normal" Jackets... So it's much the same as a Magnoli would be in that regard surely?
I have no idea what Peter has planned with the "Hero" Jacket, but that said, I think I ordered a decent attempt for myself with the last custom...And I didn't have to pay anywhere close to the new price (Or to Magnoli's price actually.. Despite Magnoli being TOTALLY custom fitted..).. I'd reckon if you take the time and go over what you REALLY want, Peter can make it for you at the normal "custom" price... (Holt did the same thing.. And his looks great..)..
I'd reckon Peter has a limited run planned for the "Hero".. So he's not able to reduce the price so much.. But who knows?
I'd suggest you work on a custom at the current 165 pound range?
All the best!
:TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I don't mind paying the 165 pound price, but I still would like to know why the HUGE price disparity (dropping Peter an email on this as we speak). IF I get a Wested, I want THIS PATTERN as I have a very sneaky suspicion it would fit me very much like another jacket I have whose fit is superb, but just needs a few adjustments...

Travis
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

No.... I meant I can understand why you're not so anxious to pay double that to get a Jacket that is rather similar to what you 'could' get with the 165 pound mark... Me too... But I'd reckon it'll have something to do with an extremely small run when Peter makes them... (Hence his not wanting to apply the labels.. Seems he has a finite amount and wants to save the ones he has for the run on "Hero" Jackets?)...
I'm more than interested as to why he'll hike the price up that far too... But I think it'll be because he only wants to make a certain amount and after that, there'll be none for "that" design...Let me know if you can please?
All the best..
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I'll let you know when I find out... :TOH:

Travis
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think i have made my choice. Peter does not have soft dark goat only the standard dark goat from before which is stiffer. So i think i will go with the goat i already have. Soft mid dark goat. He said it was even softer then the one i have. It was hard to tell any difference between this goat and lambskin. That i like!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Been almost 5 days and no response to my email...do I detect Ick? :-k
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

Holt, when you say only the old dark stiff goat, is that from many years ago? I thought that was gone. I just ordered a custom Wested jacket and I wish I had known that. Also to all, I am surprised you are surprised of the price increase. I do not think it is unreasonable. A shock from what we have had paid For in the past, but not unreasonable.Back in the 80s I could get a Eastman leather for what Peter charges for a custom now! Food for thought! :|
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Yes i think its the one from years ago. Reason he has is becuz goat is not a popular skin so it has just been laying there.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

If the price was across the board and he said it was because of increasing costs, etc., etc. I would not be surprised. Wested has long had the best deal in custom jobs. However, this appears to be only for this particular pattern that has suddenly appeared. The other pattern in a custom is still listed on the website as being $264.35.

I don't care what he charges. I asked a reasonable question. Why is there a difference between the two patterns prices?

Travis
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

Travis I missed that! It is a good question. Cheers

Thanks Holt for the info(now another jacket! yikes! I also sent the Superman book Saturday personally, ENJOY MATE

EDIT I just put on my glasses(DONT SAY IT!) And now I will truely say Travis has a very good question.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

fifthchamber wrote: I'm more than interested as to why he'll hike the price up that far too... But I think it'll be because he only wants to make a certain amount and after that, there'll be none for "that" design...Let me know if you can please?
All the best..
I kind of doubt it, as Wested's claim to fame all these years has always been 'one or one hundred items, it makes no difference'. They have always been able to meet the need of the industry and individual without hitting their pocket book and in the past has always embraced the special runs while keeping the cost within reach.

There's definitely something different about this one to have a price tossed out there that's double the usual asking price. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Gentlemen
The 'Hero' price would be extra because the skin would be a stone washed veg tanned sheep which is expensive because
the washing shrinks an 8ft skin to a 5ft skin so skin cost is about 50pc more to produce.
The result is that the current batch of skin is not big enought for the back panel.
That is why I have held back on this production.
Also we are talking 'original' patterns which hang back off the shoulder and were not a modern day fit as my standard jackets are.
Over the years I have revised the pattern to make it a better fit but this will be as 'Original' with a 'Leather Concessionaires' label
It is not a fantastic fit as 'Tony Nowak' and others have said but one must remember that at that time the original pattern was one compilled overnight from various jackets and additions.
The jacket will be 'Limited' cut by me and authenticated as such as the 'Original Maker' and will probably be my swansong as I am already semi retired.
Thank You
Peter
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks for the explaination, Peter. That makes sense! :TOH:

Looks like the perfect project to close a great career on.

HIGHEST regards! Michaelson
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Well thank you Michealson
You are always there in support and I apreciate that.
You know where I am coming from
Cheers
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Makes perfect sense now Peter. So will this even be offered in other skins? If so will it be the same price?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Yep. That was what i did not want to explain to all who asked me. Great stuff Peter. You will have my order very soon like we talked about. Regards Eric
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I really don't see the whole "hangs off the back of the shoulders thing" in this one. It seems to fit very much like my Wings Legend...

Looks like a very comfortable fit to me! :TOH:

Travis
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Both of those hang off the shoudler, but the Wested looks more so to me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

PETER wrote:Well thank you Michealson
You are always there in support and I apreciate that.
You know where I am coming from
Cheers
Yes sir, I do. :M: :tup:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Great news Peter
I've been on the edge of my seat for this since you showed me a proto on my visit last summer. Are you going to make an official anouncement when your ready to take orders or can we pre-order now?
Cheers Andy
ZOLTAR
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

CM wrote:Both of those hang off the shoudler, but the Wested looks more so to me.
Well, I can't speak on the Wested (though its fit looks close to my legend), but my jacket's collar fits firmly against the base of my neck. I could be wrong, but the whole "off the shoulders thing" results in a jacket whose collar is slung back towards your back. In other words it's off your shoulders. (illustrated here by this pic of a Todd's jacket)

Like I said, I could be wrong (its happened before), but I have never thought my Legend fit "off the shoulders"

Travis
ps After looking at the pics though I can see where the yoke seam on the wested does slide off the shoulders a tiny bit though...
Holt
Craftsman

Ok. I need to vent! Wested jacket.

Post by Holt »

The legend is no way close to of the shoulder. The todd is. Todays westeds is not. My wested goat and lamb are because i had peter make me it and i got to say the hero looks to be of the shoulder. It looks like the yoke on my jackets. Im still sure but peter said it was.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I'm interested to see how your jacket will look Holt, if it is pretty close to what KT has I am probably in for a jacket from Peter.

Peter, thanks for the update, I think everyone here was wondering why it is going to cost so much. The cost is justified, and much cheaper than getting a jacket from Riley. You might be getting a call from me pretty soon, thanks for offering this jacket to us.

IndianaChris
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Isn't Ribby Merino one of the greasers from Happy Days?
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I believe you are thinking of Pinky Tuscadero. (Or, possibly her sister, Leather).
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Peter

Will this hero pattern be available in your regular hides (esp. goat)? If so, how will that affect cost?

Thanks!
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

coronado3 wrote:Peter

Will this hero pattern be available in your regular hides (esp. goat)? If so, how will that affect cost?

Thanks!
Good question
Holt
Craftsman

Superman

Post by Holt »

He said yes to me