What's a good and fair price for a S&W 1917?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

What's a good and fair price for a S&W 1917?

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I'm shopping for an Smith and Wesson 1917 and found one with this descripion. Since I'm so new to handguns, I don't know if the price is good for this one. What do you guys think?

Price: Was 850.00 Now $799.00
Curio/Relic: Yes
Caliber: .45 ACP
Metal Condition: Patina
Wood Condition: Fair
Bore Condition: Very Good
Barrels: 5 1/2"

MarkVII
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: What's a good and fair price for a S&W 1917?

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

There are at least 3 websites that are auction venues for guns. Find them and do a search for a S&W 1917....you will get an idea of what others are asking.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I paid about 450 for mine, but the thumbpad was broken off the hammer. I'm actually not sure if this constitutes a good deal, but that's what happened.
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Hard to say without seeing the piece. An excellent (nearly mint) 1917 runs upwards of $1200-1400 these days. Yours might be a good buy. I found mine for $500 at a gun show. Good condition, all matching numbers, and some wear and shoots well. Can you get some pics?
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

If it helps at all,over here in the UK when deactivated .455 HE2 Smith&Wesson's turn up for sale its around the £550-£750 mark ($825-$1125).

But you may have to consider that it costs around £100 ($150) to deactivate it,so $799 is not too bad a price IMO :TOH:
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

If you're looking for a good shooter, M1917 S&W's were made for the Brazillian Navy in 1938. The area identified by the Brazillian crest on the right side of the frame (where the S&W logo would usually be) and the plum colored cylinder (Brazillian Navy wanted them heat-treated). Mine cost me about $350.00, and I wasn't as concerned about cutting the barrel. Mine's in good shape with a really good bore.
R/S
Fritz
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

I'd recommend taking the pictures to a reputable gun dealer at a local gun shop along with any other information you have on it. Also, the MORE questions you ask - the better off you'll be. Remember that, like some people have mentioned here, some guns have had parts interchanged, so the numbers may not match. This always detracts from the value as collectors like matching numbers. I personally would want to make sure it does before spending money on it as, unlike the case with a Webley WG, they're easier to find in the open market.

Also, I would recommend looking up the gun in the "Blue Book of Gun Values". It's a hefty book and costs about $60-70 new, so if you're only planning on buying one or two guns and not making a hobby out of gun collecting, it would be better to save that cash and see if you could find a place that has a copy to look at.

Lastly, gun sites like "Collector's Firearms" and "Gunbroker" as well as any other firearms online dealer will have prices of their items. With Collector's Firearms and sites similar, the price you see is generally what the gun is worth, with a little added premium built into it. So those are pretty fair guides to go by. And Gunbroker is an "Ebay" equivalent, but for guns and other miscellaneously related military items. You have to create an account to access their completed listings, just like you do for Ebay, but this will help give a better idea of the "general public" market value of what people are actually paying for their items.

:TOH:
darkhelmet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by darkhelmet »

S&W has reissued the 1917. They are on backorder though. Street price is around $800.
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

If you’re new to guns, especially handguns, I'd recommend buying one of the newly manufactured S&W M22/M1917's. Gun can be like used cars, you do not want to buy somebody else’s problems.

Cheers,
W-W