Adventurebilt Status Update Anyone?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Adventurebilt Status Update Anyone?

Post by RayROnline »

nicktheguy wrote:Look what arrived at my doorstep today!!!!!!!
THANK YOU STEVE!!!

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... 2681-1.jpg
Inside the AB
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... MG2680.jpg
Pic of AB
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... MG2679.jpg
Side shot
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... MG2677.jpg
AB on the right, Henry on the left
SWEET! Love that last comparison pic, too. I have a Delk Gray on order. And just won an original Delk used on eBay (w. CS block). I feel like a kid waiting for Santa, lol
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:Just my 3.5 cents. For those who wonder; no, I'm not waiting for a hat from Steve. Wish I was. But I know myself well enough - I could not take the current wait situation. I really do want one more... someday. And the wait will be worth it.
You do know that if you pay the new price the wait is only 6-8 weeks, right?
I'm counting on it. He makes the new price ones on Sundays! The man is a machine. Such craftsmanship and dedication you HAVE to admire! I ordered the Traveler Grey style the end of Dec. '10. I should be about half way home =)
XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

Dang...thought we had a new, recent arrival on this one...
RayROnline wrote:
nicktheguy wrote:Look what arrived at my doorstep today!!!!!!!
THANK YOU STEVE!!!

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... 2681-1.jpg
Inside the AB
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... MG2680.jpg
Pic of AB
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... MG2679.jpg
Side shot
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... MG2677.jpg
AB on the right, Henry on the left
SWEET! Love that last comparison pic, too. I have a Delk Gray on order. And just won an original Delk used on eBay (w. CS block). I feel like a kid waiting for Santa, lol
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I am interested in possibly purchasing a spot from someone, so if anybody wants to sell their spot, shoot me a pm!

Travis
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Wow, when I ordered my new colors in 2008, I had no idea it could take almost 3 years. I'm still patient, though, as my AB and AB Deluxe are so fine I can't imagine ever parting with them. No way am I going to give up my place in line at this point, so sorry, my friend.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Adventurebilt Status Update Anyone?

Post by Hollowpond »

Oh, I don't blame you. I just, thought it was worth a shot. You can't blame me, can you!
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

No, I don't blame for trying. Good luck.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................
stanberg56
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by stanberg56 »

oh wow! i had no idea that people are now waiting 3 years for one of steve's hats! waaaay back when i ordered my adventurebilt i only had to wait a few months for it! but i guess a lot of things changed when indy 4 came out.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indeed, they have! MANY people took advantage of the fact that his prices were still so low ater the movie came out that it contributed to a huge backlog.
stanberg56
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by stanberg56 »

steve did have very good prices. i think i paid around $225 for mine. i see they are $650 now. i guess it is a good way for steve to get control of his waiting list. i don't blame him. his hats are worth every penny.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Same here. And yes, thats why the prices went up. I'm lucky to have gotten my AB's from Steve before that time. ;)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

A poster on The Fedora Lounge received a 12/7/07 order today.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

jlee562 wrote:A poster on The Fedora Lounge received a 12/7/07 order today.
Steve is still churning out hats, as always. Was wondering how he was doing, have not seen him around COW in a while. As soon as he gets to the January orders hopefully things will be better for him. I have not gotten my hat, I am a January 08 order. Thanks for posting the information.

IndianaChris
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I'd love to see a hat on a poster. ;)
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Same here. And yes, thats why the prices went up. I'm lucky to have gotten my AB's from Steve before that time. ;)
Steve posted int he Vendors sections a while back that if you are one of the OP's (original purchasers) of his products, you do get a discount.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Binky, please take a gander at this post Fedora made a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Your Adventurebilt order survival kit should include:

/just passed the 3 year mark myself.
shears
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shears »

I just passed the 3 year mark myself too. I ordered back in March 2008. I've emailed several times but get no response.
S William
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by S William »

Today was 3 years, four months and 13 days for me (Nov 3, 2007). I sent an e-mail, but don't expect to hear anything back. I try not to think about it too much, and its successful for a time, but when I do, I can't believe how much time has passed. The December 7, 2007 order above makes me nervous about my order.

S William
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

:cry: I was holding out hopes that I'd have mine (March '08 order) by this summer to wear on a trip to Cuba.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I ordered my AB in December 2007, and received it by mid-January 2010, after I sent Steve a polite e-mail reminder about my order date. Waiting 2 years for a hat seemed like an eternity, let alone 3. That kind of duration makes my 1-month Herbert Johnson wait time seem like the blink-of-an-eye (but that was back in 1999). Just hang in there guys, and take a few daily sips from the Grail just for good measure, because you don't want to look like Donovan by the time your hats do finally arrive! :D
Last edited by whipwarrior on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

whipwarrior, in the interest of S William (Nov. 3rd, 2007) do you might telling us approximately how long passed between you sending Steve the e-mail and either hearing back from him or actually getting your hat?
:TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

If memory serves me correctly, I e-mailed Steve on January 5th or so, and he replied about two days later saying that he would start work on it immediately. I received the hat on January 19th (also, coincidentally, my birthday). My order was originally placed on December 28th, 2007. So the total turnaround was approximately 2 years and half a month, give or take a few days.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

In John's words, Steve is a hat making machine, so undoubtedly, he is very busy. I have received reblocks in the past that he worked on Sunday. Never a dull moment in the hatter's shop, no doubt, especially a good one! He reblocked my Henry and just did an outstanding job. I'm ready to double for the man now... :P
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I think I've added more gray hairs that need to be covered up in the nearly 3 years I've been waiting. I've sent numerous e-mails to Steve and none have been answered.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Folks, not to be a wet blanket, but I've waited for over 5 years for a hat from Steve in the past, so you're WAY ahead of the curve. :lol:

Hang in there. It's coming, and you won't be disappointed. The man IS a hat making machine, but he's also human. He's working as hard as he can without putting himself in a grave. :|

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Well, now I'm sorry that I didn't wear an Adventurebilt this morning. At our Monday morning 6:00 a.m. all staff meeting, the weather is always brought up and this is the first time I can say that I've seen the chance of rain at 100%. I know it has to be true. I just had my van washed on Saturday. A good hat would give me protection walking to and from my vehicle, but that's all right now. No place to properly store it at work, and not safe to drive with it on.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

"Folks, not to be a wet blanket, but I've waited for over 5 years for a hat from Steve in the past, so you're WAY ahead of the curve."

Five years?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

5 years. Keep in mind, he's been making hats LONG before 2008. Mine got lost in the shuffle when the flood gates opened with CS.

The discussion on my moss green started back in 2005.

I wasn't in a hurry, and to tell you the truth, I had actually forgotten all about it until he stumbled across the stored felt in 2010 and emailed me about it. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...even longer in dog years...?

Pretty soon, it'll be like....I've got hats with wait times older than you!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

We're getting close, Tex. :rolling:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I ordered my AB about a year and a half ago, when Steve announced the price raise to $650 (but kindly and generously extended the $400 price to COW members). At the time, Steve said the wait would already be a year, and we're getting closer to two. Although in a strange way, I almost feel like I would have missed out on the full AB experience if the wait had only been a year.

Or maybe I'm crazy. :lol:

Still patiently waiting....
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Michaelson wrote:5 years. Mine got lost in the shuffle when the flood gates opened with CS.

Regards! Michaelson
Because there is virtually no communication with his customers regarding order status, many people fear this is what has happened to theirs. If it wasn't for all the positive reviews from people that waited and finally got their hats, I would have canceled my order long ago. So i'm ok waiting as long as it takes. Still, periodic updates on COW would be appreciated and would certainly calm A LOT of nerves.
XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

Chewie Louie wrote:
Michaelson wrote:5 years. Mine got lost in the shuffle when the flood gates opened with CS.

Regards! Michaelson
Because there is virtually no communication with his customers regarding order status, many people fear this is what has happened to theirs. If it wasn't for all the positive reviews from people that waited and finally got their hats, I would have canceled my order long ago. So i'm ok waiting as long as it takes. Still, periodic updates on COW would be appreciated and would certainly calm A LOT of nerves.
I'm afraid I'm beginning to feel this way. Ordered back in Nov 2007. Had a reply back in fall of 2009 when Steve perfected his Raiders block and I requested a change. I've sent a three emails since the reply of 2009 and haven't heard a thing. :(

While I don't want to be a part of an email avalance that keeps Steve from his hats, an occasional status would be greatly appreciated.

Bernie
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Louisiana Jones »

My Uncle's been waiting 3 1/2 years at this point. Every time he's emailed Steve, he's gotten an immediate response with a status update of "You'll have it by the end of the month", and he was also told that his order was lost and Steve asked for all his info again. "End of the month" has been told to him three times over the past year. We ordered our hats right around the same time and I got mine in a year and a half. I have no bad words to say about Steve at all, he's a hard working man who's success has probably surprised even himself. But I think people who've placed orders would be kept at bay a little better if he could somehow be a little more like Randall Knives, where even though they have a 5 year waiting list for knives, they still give you the month yours will arrive. And if they will be a few months late you get a notice in the mail stating your new date of arrival. I guess that'd be tough for a one man show, where different sizes get made at different times, but more importantly why the heck am I thinking about this at 2am! Just order your hat and forget about it! That's what I tell my freakin' uncle! Goodnight.

LJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, it's sort of a two edged sword. If Steve spent all the time at his computer replying to all the emails, and posting all the updates that folks are asking him to do, that is time pulled away from the work bench....and hats wouldn't be getting made.

As you say, he's a one man show. He doesn't have a secretary. He also has to leave the shop to mail out his finished daily hat production, during which time no hats are being made.

So, he chose to concentrate on making hats, and picking up what correspondence he can in a 30 minute window he gives himself in the morning. He rarely comes to the site these days. He's at his bench. He's no where near a computer during the day, and he works 6 days a week.

Randall Knives has hundreds of employees, and a full secretarial staff to keep customers informed. Steve is one man sitting in a trailer in Mississippi doing his thing, one hat at a time.

Believe me, you would NOT be hurting his feeling if you cancelled your order. It would just move someone else closer to the top of the list....but then it would also pull him away from his bench to take care of that cancellation, and you'd be making everyone else later in receiving THEIR hats, so it's not an easy situation.

I agree with LJ. Let the man do his work and relax knowing you're in line for a classic hand crafted fedora by a master hat maker. I have known Steve from the day he first picked up his first hat to rebuild, and he's pretty much made ALL may hats since the 1990's. His product is worth waiting for.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Michaelson wrote:Yeah, it's sort of a two edged sword. If Steve spent all the time at his computer replying to all the emails, and posting all the updates that folks are asking him to do, that is time pulled away from the work bench....and hats wouldn't be getting made.

As you say, he's a one man show. He doesn't have a secretary. He also has to leave the shop to mail out his finished daily hat production, during which time no hats are being made.

So, he chose to concentrate on making hats, and picking up what correspondence he can in a 30 minute window he gives himself in the morning. He rarely comes to the site these days. He's at his bench. He's no where near a computer during the day, and he works 6 days a week.

Randall Knives has hundreds of employees, and a full secretarial staff to keep customers informed. Steve is one man sitting in a trailer in Mississippi doing his thing, one hat at a time.

Believe me, you would NOT be hurting his feeling if you cancelled your order. It would just move someone else closer to the top of the list....but then it would also pull him away from his bench to take care of that cancellation, and you'd be making everyone else later in receiving THEIR hats, so it's not an easy situation.

I agree with LJ. Let the man do his work and relax knowing you're in line for a classic hand crafted fedora by a master hat maker. I have known Steve from the day he first picked up his first hat to rebuild, and he's pretty much made ALL may hats since the 1990's. His product is worth waiting for.

Regards! Michaelson
Well said!!!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

And for those with complaints, I have also offered to buy someones place in line for their purchase price. No waiting for communication or refunds, just drop me a pm...
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Hey Fellas,

I don't know what all the fuss is about? I just e-mailed Steve Delk and ordered a new Raiders AB. I had included my phone number when I ordered and one hour later I get a call from Steve. Turns out he has a brand new Raiders in my size and offered it to me straight away for half price!!! He's shipping it today! I must be the luckiest so-and-so on this forum! This is my fifth hat from him and I mainly want it for my cat to sleep in but I still thought it warranted a comment.

Regards, Dr. J
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

What luck! :o
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:lol:
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

jlee562 wrote:What luck! :o
As the great Foghorn Leghorn once said "It was a gag son, ya missed it". Happy April Fools everybody! ;)
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Dr._J wrote:Hey Fellas,

I don't know what all the fuss is about? I just e-mailed Steve Delk and ordered a new Raiders AB. I had included my phone number when I ordered and one hour later I get a call from Steve. Turns out he has a brand new Raiders in my size and offered it to me straight away for half price!!! He's shipping it today! I must be the luckiest so-and-so on this forum! This is my fifth hat from him and I mainly want it for my cat to sleep in but I still thought it warranted a comment.

Regards, Dr. J

XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

Regards, Dr. J
Maybe that was mine from Nov 2007!!!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

XPLSV wrote:

Regards, Dr. J
Maybe that was mine from Nov 2007!!!
:rolling:
Kolawan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kolawan »

whipwarrior wrote:If memory serves me correctly, I e-mailed Steve on January 5th or so, and he replied about two days later saying that he would start work on it immediately. I received the hat on January 19th (also, coincidentally, my birthday). My order was originally placed on December 28th, 2007. So the total turnaround was approximately 2 years and half a month, give or take a few days.
Coincidentally, I also ordered on December 28, 2007. :D Still waiting. I've also emailed and pm'd a couple times with no response at all yet.

I too don't mind waiting. There have been too many kind words said about Steve and his abilities for me to doubt that I'll ever see my hat.

It's just I originally ordered a KOTCS brown beaver felt hat, with gold liner AB logo on sweat and side seamed liner if possible. I believe a few years ago, he ran out and switched to something else. I get more and more worried that it won't be similar to what I was hoping to order 3 1/2 years ago. But I trust it will be great. I just hope it fits still. Haven't measured my head in a couple years.

Jason
sphughes
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sphughes »

As I hit the 3 1/3 year mark (12-07 here), I do what I do each year as we roll into nicer weather -I buy something else.

Year 1 - New Golf Clubs
Year 2 - New Harley
Year 3 - New Big Green Egg
Year 4 - Wait for it.........50" Plasma HDTV and a sweet Aperion speaker system w/a Marantz Receiver

There are ways to pass the time folks and i keep finding them.

- Scott
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Steve, any chance we can all get our hats before May 21?
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Ha! :roll: No AB would be the least of my worries...would be hitting the closest bar, and finally chat up that pretty girl in the library i've always put off...probably best not in that order though :P :lol:

:TOH: