US Wings Legend in Bison, US Made

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: US Wings Legend in Bison, US Made

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I saw a section of bison hide at US Wings in December and the coloration is definitely enhanced on film. As Weston says, still there, but not nearly as pronounced in person.

That was a bit of a hang up for me for a while. I had to get my head around the "Indy's jacket doesn't look like that" to "that is an awesome looking leather for a jacket that happens to be cut in an Indy style. I'm looking forward to the arrival of my very own, especially since the leather will be so different from my Wested. I'm sure no one else in the world will be able to tell the difference between them, but I'll know.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

If it was all dark it would be an absolute home run, but it just seems odd - is it because of the camera or is that pretty much how it looks in real life?
Also...it IS possible to gradually alter the coloring's "blotchiness" over time. With that place on the shoulder where I scraped the jacket against the metal side mirror onmy Jeep, I actually ended up snipping the loose abraded parts off with a very sharp pair of skin snips (like a manicurist uses for working on cuticles), and have been treating the area with the dark brown Pecards every week for the past six weeks...the place where you could see the leather's under-color has now almost completely blended in with the dark brown of the overall area. As an added bonus, the entire area there has turned a really rich dark brown.

My money is on treating the entire jacket with the dark brown Pecards at the end of this first jacket season, and seeing if it doesn't just blend ALL the mottled look together into a single darker brown.

I figure if it has worked in one area, it should work over the entire jacket. Might take a season to get the effect I want, but...I know it will happen.

Food for thought!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I haven't done it myself, but I have seen photos of the bison jacket completely treated with leather dressing, and it actually turns an almost seal brown in coloration.

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

That's what I'm figuring, too, M....but want to wait until the season is pretty much over before I do it..to be able to give it from Summer to late Fall again for the color to all absorb into the jacket so it won't bleed off on my shirt collars.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!

Even better than new phone books?! I'm typing in my new Bison jacket!!! \:D/ This took a bit longer than originally anticipated since I (against my own better judgment) ordered a M. I wear a 42 suit jacket and generally wear a L in outer wear, but I've been losing some weight and thought a M would work. Well, I felt like a stuffed sausage in it. It didn't look bad, but it just pulled and tugged with every movement. I knew I'd never be comfortable wearing it. So, sadly, back in the box it went.

The return transaction was reasonably easy, though my initial e-mail to Wings went unanswered so I had to call the store. I really liked the leather on the M so it was even harder to send it back, but much to my amazement I like the leather on the L even better! And the fit is spot on for what is comfortable on me.

Yes, yes, pictures will be coming forthwith.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Last edited by Indiana Jeff on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:tup: \:D/
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Great to read this, Jeff... Very happy for you!
Can't wait to see those pics!
:)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Finally got my jacket, a camera, a photographer and sunlight all together at one time.

This is a good representation of the overall grain of the leather. The size M I originally got had much more variation throughout the jacket. My 4 year old girl asked me if the jacket was made out of dinosaur skin. :tup:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Looks class Jeff!! :clap: Almost looks like the leather's been airbrushed with black....Again...Class!!! :clap:
Indiana Jeff wrote:My 4 year old girl asked me if the jacket was made out of dinosaur skin.
I'd say it looked like veg tan, oil pulled, washed Apatosaurus hide.. :lol:

Ian
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Wow, great jacket and hat Jeff,

Very nice outfit. THe colour of the jacket is soooo nice :tup: :clap:
And the hat, I liked the colour and ribbon =P~

congrats!!!
:)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks. I really like the look of this leather. The mottled colors are much more muted than has been seen on other bison jackets, but still adds so much to the character.

The fedora is an AB in Sahara felt with vintage ribbon. I call it my Michaelson hat since he was one of (if not the first) to get a hat just like this from Steve.

I'd say it looked like veg tan, oil pulled, washed Apatosaurus hide.. :lol:
I spit coffee on that one! =P~ :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:The fedora is an AB in Sahara felt with vintage ribbon. I call it my Michaelson hat since he was one of (if not the first) to get a hat just like this from Steve.
Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I've been wearing mine for the past couple days! Mine doesn't have NEAR as much character as YOURS does, Jeff. Guess I need to wear it more often! :shock:

Anyway.... :TOH:

HIGH regards !Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Got mine back around August and wear it at least 3-4 days a week. Of course, I don't have near the hat selection you do to choose from! :TOH:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Got mine back around August and wear it at least 3-4 days a week. Of course, I don't have near the hat selection you do to choose from! :TOH:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

Aye, It must take ages to get dressed for the day... :lol:

Ian
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well.....yeah, but at my age that has nothing to do with selecting what hat or jacket to wear..... :-k :[

...and with that, I'm now going to slip into my 'Indiana Jeff gear' (bison Wings and Sahara AB) and head to work. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Aw, man. Now everyone's going to get us confused all day. #-o

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'll stay back in the control room. You work the front office. It will be ok. :M: :tup: ;)

Trust me. :[
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Excellent photos, love the grain and the fit.
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

at this point is there no hope of there being a HH Legend offering?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Rumor has it that an import version may be offered in a few months.

That news is about month old, so take it for what it's worth.

Regards! Michaelson
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

I really hope that rumor turns out to be true. As far as more US made offerings go, Does it look like this is it?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I saw and tried on an imported HH legend jacket when I visited US Wings in December. Sarge was very excited he had finally sourced some HH he liked. No word since though.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Finally got my Legend Bison out into the field. It's been unseasonably cool here so this trip out to the desert got chilly once the sun went down.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
sorensonal
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by sorensonal »

Well, I recently posted in the other thread stating that I am a one Indy jacket owner (and I do love my wested); but that buffalo looks incredible! I don't think my wife will let me spring for another jacket though. Love the pics, thanks for posting them.