Post your Adventurebilts here!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Post your Adventurebilts here!

Post by Noah »

That's a nice hat! It looks great! :tup:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Gorak wrote: and yes that is Hello Kitty on the carseat..its my wifes car...really...really it is!
Yeah, you car has Chococat on it. :lol:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Thanks guys....this AB has been thru the ringer and only once did it seem to want to taper...Steve took it in and reblocked it many years ago and since then, it hasn`t budged much other than being squashed many times by my kids, my wife, the dogs, the car, a mountain cliff side, and being tossed into the back of the car. I redid the ribbon as I really tightened it to try and get the mushroom thing going so that mess is my handy work.
I can`t look inside for the date as when I put the ribbon back on, I sewed the sweatband and liner down together and tight along with the ribbon as normally, with all I put it thru, the ribbon would ride up. It is very well in place now.
Here`s a few more different angles......
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 3428-1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 2545-1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 2748-1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 2656-1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 092728.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 092607.jpg
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Well... I've just gotta say, Gorak:
I think that fedora looks absolutely gorgeous!
:shock:

A beautiful, BEAUTIFUL hat!
May you wear it in continuing good health.
:TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Mitch LaRue-sky,

I just got one heck of an AB Raiders rabbit! :Dietrich: I mean, it'll just melt your face off!

...face off? :-k Isn't that a hockey term?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:lol:
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

I can definitely see that mushroom thing going, Gorak! Great looking hat! :)
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Before I get into the meat and potatoes of this post, I want to give a public shout out and thank you to Jnicktem. I sold my Adventurebilt to him several months ago on eBay. It is a "Ford felt" hat, which I learned later was something other than what I originally thought it was. I thought it was a hat that came from the same run of felt as Ford's from CS, but turns out that the circumstances surrounding that run of felt were a little more suspicious than I originally realized. Without getting to heavily into that, I felt bad for having sold the hat to Jnicktem under these pretenses, and offered to buy the hat back from him. He agreed, and we agreed upon a price. I told him I didn't have that much money all at once, but that I'd pay him back in installments, which he agreed. He even offered to send me the hat back before I had finished paying, which is amazing, to say the least. I got the hat back Friday, and had a chance to wear it around today. I've got to say, it's still the perfect hat for me, and I was a fool to let it go to begin with, but I could not have sold it to a nicer person. Thus, this hat will be in my stable for life.
Last edited by Strider on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Tundrarider wrote:Looks awesome, Gorak!!!

Hey, I don't want to derail this thread, but you jacket looks awesome, too!

I love it in this pic! :H:

Could you direct me to other threads where you may have posted about this jacket?

Thanks!

Michael :TOH:
I think Gorak's awesome jacket is the G&B he's shown over in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48537&start=0
That's one sweet looking jacket! I hope my goat Expo will eventually look even half as good as Gorak's lamb Expedition. He wears it well! And that AB looks outstanding, too! I'm a little partial to the AB/G&B combo myself. ;) :D

:TOH: Best wishes,
NS

EDIT: Strider, that AB suits you very well--glad you were able to get this back!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Strider wrote:Before I get into the meat and potatoes of this post, I want to give a public shout out and thank you to Jnicktem. I sold my Adventurebilt to him several months ago on eBay. It is a "Ford felt" hat, which I learned later was something other than what I originally thought it was. I thought it was a hat that came from the same run of felt as Ford's from CS, but turns out that the circumstances surrounding that run of felt were a little more suspicious than I originally realized. Without getting to heavily into that, I felt bad for having sold the hat to Jnicktem under these pretenses, and offered to buy the hat back from him. He agreed, and we agreed upon a price. I told him I didn't have that much money all at once, but that I'd pay him back in installments, which he agreed. He even offered to send me the hat back before I had finished paying, which is amazing, to say the least. I got the hat back Friday, and had a chance to wear it around today. I've got to say, it's still the perfect hat for me, and I was a fool to let it go to begin with, but I could not have sold it to a nicer person. Thus, this hat will be in my stable for life.

ImageImage
Thanks for this post Strider! Even though that hat was in my opinion the closest Raiders hat I had (look at that wonderful colour it faded into!) I could not say no to you. I have so many hats, and the oppportunity to sell you back your old hat wasn't something that I could pass by... it just seemed so fitting. I'm extremely glad that the hat got back to you safely and you still feel that it's the perfect hat for you! I think it looks like it BELONGS on YOUR head! :TOH:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Ok, I've got some decent pics to post, plus a review, so I've gone back and edited the posts I could find with pictures in them in this thread so I could post the 6 max here. I will post links instead of pics, though, just to be on the safe side of folks who may have a slow internet connection.

I haven't posted this hat in a while, and its recently undergone a minor transformation. The other day, I took this hat out and accidentally left it in my car overnight. The hat was stepped on, crushed, beaten up, and otherwise tossed about, and then sat in that rumpled position for about 15 hours. I got it back with creases and dents in it that you wouldn't believe. I got it back home and took a spray bottle to it, smoothed out all the wrinkles, and let it dry overnight with the bash popped out. I think the hat tapered slightly during this process, at which point I decided it would make an excellent Last Crusade lid. I curled the sides of the brim up and this is how it turned out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... abbit1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a good photo of my AB Beaver that I recently bought back from Jnicktem.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... eaver1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, onto the meat and potatoes of this post. Here are 4 views of the "Mercury Felt" AB that I recently bought from whiskeyman in the Bazaar:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... /Merc1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... /Merc2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... /Merc3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... /Merc4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I understand it, this is the hat he famously bashed for his "Pagey tutorial." Wow, this hat is much heavier than my other hats, by about 2 times. He built a right turn into this thing so far that it's almost making a U-turn, and I love it. The felt is also about twice as thick as that of my beaver and rabbit ABs. The box arrived a little crushed (thanks, USPS), but the hat took it like a champ. I wore it to the recent Broken Arrow Christmas Parade, and it not only kept the wind out of my face, but kept my head warm! The brim seems a little on the long side, but it's something that I can get used to. It feels very "Raider" ish to me, and I love the felt weight.

A little detail about this hat for the newer members who may not've been around when these "Mercury Felt" hats were offered. I hope Michaelson does not mind that I am using a few excerpts from details about this particular hat that he related to me very recently. Several years back, Steve and another fellow came across a stash of new/old stock 1919 felt cones that had been in cold storage in NYC since after WW1. All paperwork and documentation of their storage was still with the hats. Steve got 5 cones, as Michaelson relates it to me, and he furthermore went on to explain that 5 were made for other people, and Steve kept one for himself.
Michaelson wrote:The cone itself is perfect mercury felted beaver, and is as tight as one could get a felt by using that chemical. You already know the history behind the banning of mercury, and the 'mad as a hatter' phrase that was caused by the hatters breathing the mercury vapors as they made the hats.

So, Steve took the felt and used all brand new materials and created the hats. The only ones I personally know of belong to Steve, Pagey, bink and myself. I'm not sure who got the 5th, but I think it went to a fellow in Florida, the OTHER guy who talked Steve into going professional.

Mercury felt hasn't been available since the 50's, let along new/old stock. It's rare as chicken's teeth.
I will keep it to myself what I paid for it. ;) Thanks, whiskeyman! :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Good for you! You were a hair quicker on the trigger than me getting that hat from Pagey. :cry:

Looks good on you, wear it in good health. :TOH:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:shock:
Wow, what a HANDSOME LID!

And it looks to be a perfect fit on you, too...
Well Done on becoming it's proud, new owner, Tuck... Congratulations on an amazing acquisition!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Thank you, sir! :TOH:
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Here is my AB it is rabbit/wild hare and it is bash and blocked as a YIJ fedora.
And this was when I first bought it and it had just rained and I was pretty wet.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Looking good Cash!!! I'm so glad you were able to get an AB!

BTW- looking at your pictures... I know EXACTLY where you live! So you better protect your hat next time I'm in Lincoln!
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Alright I will :lol: I do live in Lincoln when is the next time you are visiting.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but does anyone know if this is an Adventurebilt used in this promo picture? It just seems very ROTLA-ish, and not like the others used in the film.

Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Yes that is an AB it states that on Indygears main page on the AB story.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Here is my AB that got oxi clean on it I think Steve used the YIJ block on it but put the wrong ribbon on it so I tried to bash it the Crystal Skull way what do you think what do I need to do to the bash if it is not correct and does it even look like the crystal skull hat.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

Hey Pyramid,
Great looking hat and jacket for that matter! In the pic with the Land Rover, your hat looks just like the YIJ hat. Even the ribbon, so I guess it must be the right size. Perhaps you could measure it. It should be 1 7/8 inches.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

YA it is 1 7/8 I had Steve at Adventurebilt replicate the hat for me it looks spot on to the movie and thanks for the compliments.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Pyramid Jones wrote:Here is my AB that got oxi clean on it I think Steve used the YIJ block on it but put the wrong ribbon on it so I tried to bash it the Crystal Skull way what do you think what do I need to do to the bash if it is not correct and does it even look like the crystal skull hat.

Why do you think steve used the wrong ribbon?

How wide is it?
Last edited by BendingOak on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

It is not as wide as the YIJ ribbon.
stanberg56
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by stanberg56 »

i have a couple of adventurebilts. i bought 2 from steve and 1 from marc in germany. they are fantastic hats and i wear them everywhere.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Any chance of you posting a few photos of these hats, stanberg56?
We love seeing pictures of the amazing fedoras Steve and Marc make.
:)
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Hey guys! Sorry I don't have pics yet (I will try to sometime in the next month if at all possible), but I got a Raiders Rabbit this past month, and absolutely love it! Can't say enough good things about Steve! This hat is absolutely incredible. I just asked for a standard Raiders hat, the way it would have been new, and mentioned that I did like the mushroom effect. When it arrived, well, I wouldn't change a thing!
I have an old HJ that I've worn for years, but I've had to come to realize that it is just too small now, and having a good broad brim hat is a neccessity for me in my line of work. I do a lot of work outside at a Bible Camp in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. If you've ever seen the show "Justified," you're getting pretty close to my neck of the woods. Great hiking up here! I'm about 15 minutes from Natural Bridge State Park and the Red River Gorge. Anyway, a good hat is a neccessity not only for my job, being outside so much, but also for my hobby of hiking. I have a CS Beaver on order which I am looking forward to very much, but am thrilled to have the rabbit for warmer weather. Thanks, Steve, for such a great tool!
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Pyramid great hat looks spot on to me, I don't think the YIJ ribbon is much over 1.5 inches.

Gerry
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

More random shots of my AB just to keeps things alive...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... C12805.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... C12780.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These were alittle blurry but I loved the way the swoop is starting to flop...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 0012-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 010083.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And last but not least...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 130156.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who`s next...
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Gorak wrote:More random shots of my AB just to keeps things alive...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... C12805.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... C12780.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These were alittle blurry but I loved the way the swoop is starting to flop...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 0012-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 010083.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And last but not least...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 130156.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who`s next...
Now this is a great looking Raiders hat! Very nice. :tup:
Dr. Nebraska S.

That's a great looking AB, Gorak! :clap:

I'll have to post some photos of my recently re-blocked AB soon... ;)

NS
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

You have a great looking AB Gorak! :TOH:
slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by slowdevil »

Dusted off the AB for a photo today. I think it makes the photo, so thought I'd share.

28/52 ready to go by slowdevil, on Flickr
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Wow! Great photo!! Love the lighting, the framing, the colour! Everything about it! :TOH:
(And the hat sure does look great too! :) )

Joe
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Every part of that picture is PURE CLASS, slowdevil... not the least of which is that great AB!
:clap:

WONDERFUL job!
:D :tup:
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

awesome shot Slowdevil! :D

regards

CJ
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Dang slowdevil, that is one fantastically composed shot. Well done. :clap:

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

WOW slowdevil....may I use that as my desktop? That is one of the most gear pics I have ever seen. Very creative. Absolutely love it!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:M: :tup:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by slowdevil »

Thanks so much for the kind words, guys. Means a lot coming from fellow Indy fanatics. I just keep looking at the hat. #### that's a nice looking hat!
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Great looking hat and amazing photo Slowdevil :tup: :clap:
regards
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's a great example of a man waiting on a train wearing a nice hat.....and not the 'hat wearing the man', as SO many folks worry about around here.

Just a man comfortable in his own skin, waiting to get on with life.....

I hope you have that framed and hanging somewhere where people can sdd it, my friend. It's not just a 'picture'. It's a story being old, if someone is willing to take the time to look....and 'listen'.

Oh, nice hat too. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

I am now a very proud owner of my CS AB... just only these words: my dream from 2008 become true...!!
I have no other words to describe this incredible hat, now I understand why Harrison when he saw it said: "This is a f****g good hat!"
its true!!

Thank you forever Mr. Delk :notworthy:

Steerpike
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

slowdevil, that picture is awesome! Like :M: said, 'tells a story.'

Looking good, steerpike. With Steve back in the saddle I'm looking forward to my grey CS arriving in the (semi) near future.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Indiana Jeff wrote:With Steve back in the saddle I'm looking forward to my grey CS arriving in the (semi) near future.
Indiana Jeff
I am also looking forward to a grey CS!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=51944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Nebraska S.

Steve re-blocked my 3-year-old Adventurebilt just a couple of months ago. I feel like I have a brand new fedora--yet better, because I have several memories with this hat (including 3 excavations). Here are some photos of it from just yesterday:

After 3 years of daily wear through sun, rain, snow, and hard wear on 3 excavations in Israel, and with this re-block, the hat looks better than ever while also being floppier and more comfortable than I would have ever hoped! Ladies and Gents, with some maintenance and care, these hats are the real deal! If there was a real Indiana Jones out there, I have no doubt that a beaver Adventurebilt would stand up to his adventures. :tup:

Nebraska Schulte
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Looks great on ya. Some folks are just meant to wear hats and you are one of em. fedora
Dr. Nebraska S.

Fedora wrote:Looks great on ya. Some folks are just meant to wear hats and you are one of em. fedora
:TOH: Thank you kindly, Steve!

Best wishes,
Luke