All I want for Christmas . . .

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: All I want for Christmas . . .

Post by InexorableTash »

DarenHenryW wrote: Bernardo hasn't finished my whips, so obviously they haven't even shipped.
I'm still pacing madly too, waiting for Bernardo to finish one I have on order from him.

On the plus side, the rainy reason may have ended by the time it arrives. :) On the minus side, my 2nd offspring will arrive any day now so I may not be awake enough to use it.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

BaptisteTheFool wrote:Graeme says a tracking number would be fine and that it's his usual practice anyway.

I didn't mention you, Daren, but considering he says he always sends tracking numbers, perhaps double-check your inbox? Might you have overlooked it?

Good suggestion, but no . . . No tracking number. :?

DHW
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

InexorableTash wrote:
DarenHenryW wrote: Bernardo hasn't finished my whips, so obviously they haven't even shipped.
I'm still pacing madly too, waiting for Bernardo to finish one I have on order from him.

On the plus side, the rainy reason may have ended by the time it arrives. :) On the minus side, my 2nd offspring will arrive any day now so I may not be awake enough to use it.

I hope that you are pacing more in anticipation of your next child than your next whip! ;)

DHW
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

For what it is worth, I would definitely get in touch with Graeme via telefone and ask him directly for a tracking number for your order. I consider it something essential, especially when we are talking about valuable items on such a long trek. It is also something you can refer to if anything should go amiss or ( God forbid) should the package get misplaced or any other such incidence, and you would have to take up the matter with the postal carrier. Without the tracking number you got nothin´.
Good luck!

IndianaBravo
ZackC
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by ZackC »

Hello everyone.. Im new here but thought I would chime in about ordering a whip. I live in the US and I ordered a whip from Mike Murphy. I placed my order on Dec 8 i think..give or take a few days. Mike told me he could have it made and shipped before Christmas and would also arrive before then too. It was a 7' 8 plait Austrailian Bullwhip if that helps with my point. I went ahead and placed the order and much to my surprise I got it Monday before Christmas. I was really pleased that he could make the whip and ship before the holidays. He had told me that he clears his books just for the holiday season. Just thought I would give you an idea of what the shipping time was on that whip. I plan on ordering more whips from him in the future too. The next one is gonna be a 10' 12 plait Indy whip as soon as I can.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

Thanks for rubbing it in ZackC :)
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

ZackC wrote:Hello everyone.. Im new here but thought I would chime in about ordering a whip. I live in the US and I ordered a whip from Mike Murphy. I placed my order on Dec 8 i think..give or take a few days. Mike told me he could have it made and shipped before Christmas and would also arrive before then too. It was a 7' 8 plait Austrailian Bullwhip if that helps with my point. I went ahead and placed the order and much to my surprise I got it Monday before Christmas. I was really pleased that he could make the whip and ship before the holidays. He had told me that he clears his books just for the holiday season. Just thought I would give you an idea of what the shipping time was on that whip. I plan on ordering more whips from him in the future too. The next one is gonna be a 10' 12 plait Indy whip as soon as I can.

I don't see this as rubbing it in, (even though I know you are only teasing, Rawvoodoo). I think the point is made that some of our vendors are a) full time vendors, and thus have a much better idea about timetables, and/or b) whether they are full time or not, are simply much more organized and experienced about how and when their goods will be delivered.

As I stated, I think Bernardo's work is worth the wait, as is Graeme's. It's unfortunate that they haven't yet built themselves up to be in a position to stick to timetables as strictly as we'd all like them to, but I'm sure that with today's economy, I'll bet that some months they get tons of orders, and others they get very few, and life often gets in the way regardless (as I know it has for both Bernardo and Graeme recently) and this makes it hard to meet everyone's demands quickly and make money hand over fist,which I know they aren't.

Lord knows I hate waiting, but more than I hate waiting, I hate being told when something will ship, and then being told well after I thought it would have arrived, that it still hasn't shipped. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: That burns my backside. This is what I'm going through with Mike, not Bernardo or Graeme. Graeme's last message to me was that it already shipped. I'm assuming that weather and shipping problems, customs, etc, is what is keeping my order from me. Bernardo has not told me that his package has shipped yet and has explained his reasons, which are understandable. Mike keeps telling me he is about to, but never quite says that he has. You would think by now that I'd feel that I'm being ripped off, but we talk on the phone almost once a week, and I know for a fact that he has fulfilled at least two orders for Anthony DeLongis in this time. (what do we talk about and where are my whips? That's a story I'm saving for when either my whips show up or I get my money back!) Needless to say, these whips better be amazing, because at this point, I doubt I will order from him again regardless. These kinds of shenanigans I don't need in life from strangers living in Michigan making whips that I also don't really need.

DHW
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Folks,
I don't think Mike understands how this can impact him on future customers. Word of mouth can completely destroy a business if you are not careful when taking care of unhappy customers. He should atleast offer a compensation of some sort to atleast save face for himself.

Allen
Last edited by Indiana County Jr. on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

So I got my pacifier whip today. Its a 10' burgundy bullwhip. Its very nice and will keep me from fiending so
badly over my whip from Bernardo. However it did make me realize that I wont be able to do anything with it
till spring. #-o

I also had a dream last night. More of a nightmare really. I dreamt that I got my whip from bernardo and it had
a big red sticker on the box saying that it had been inspected by Homeland Security. When I opened it I found
that they had unbraided the entire thing. :Dietrich:
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

rawvoodoo wrote:I also had a dream last night. More of a nightmare really. I dreamt that I got my whip from bernardo and it had
a big red sticker on the box saying that it had been inspected by Homeland Security. When I opened it I found
Wait a minute, I think the destroyed by "customs" whip scenario actually happened long ago to a member here didn't it?
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

:-0
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:
rawvoodoo wrote:I also had a dream last night. More of a nightmare really. I dreamt that I got my whip from bernardo and it had
Wait a minute, I think the destroyed by "customs" whip scenario actually happened long ago to a member here didn't it?

Oh, that was just plain mean. [-X
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:

Yep, it was Dan Borton's raiders bullwhip from Bernardo, if I remember correctly.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

Ok that settles it. Im driving down to pick it up. Does anyone know a shortcut from Ohio to Peru?
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:Folks,
I don't think Mike understands how this can impact him on future customers. Word of mouth can completely destroy a business if you are not careful when taking care of unhappy customers. He should atleast offer a compensation of some sort to atleast save face for himself.

Allen

Agreed, Allen.

I've been biting my tongue for too long on this thing. Mike is not a member here, he has no web site, and the only reason I placed an order with him is because Anthony DeLongis had a pair of his whips and they seemed pretty good for the money. I got a hold of the guy (which took some Private Eye work, I can tell you!) and we talked on the phone. He seemed very knowledgeable about whips, and he was very humble, and very friendly. We agreed on an order, and I sent him a check right away. He said it would take about 5 weeks, and I said, "eh, take your time." It's been since the beginning of July. What is that? Over 5 MONTHS?

Now, I'm a big boy, I have other toys to play with, and for those of you who know me, you all know that means plenty of bullwhips. But the problem is, I just don't believe what this guy tells me half the time. The first problem was that he was almost done with my whips, but he wanted to redo the overlay on one of them because he wasn't satisfied with it. That impressed me, so I patiently waited a little more. That was around September I think. Then in October, he said my whips were finished, but that he couldn't ship them because he was waiting on some red hide so he could finish the falls. He said this was affecting an order he was putting together for Anthony as well. Then in November I went to the Indygear Summit in Long Beach. And this is where it starts to get weird. Anthony called me ahead of time and asked me if I had ordered a six foot whip from Mike because he received one from Mike (which wasn't what he ordered!) and was wondering if he got our orders mixed up. I said, "No, I ordered a pair of 7 footers." "Well," said, Anthony, "That's weird, but it's a good whip. I'll show it to you when I get there," which he did. And indeed it was a good whip, and Anthony seemed satisfied that Mike had either made a mistake that worked out, or had purposely made a whip that Anthony would like better. I talked to Mike about it and he said that he had deliberately sent Anthony this whip, a much heavier one than the few he had sent him before, so that he would have a weightier whip for when he works on Horseback.

As fascinating as all this was, it still didn't answer the question, "Where are MY whips?" "They are on their way," quoth Mike. (This was just after getting back from the QM, mind you!) So, by the time Thanksgiving had come and gone, and I was really beginning to get irate, I called him again and told him that I had never received my whips. "What?!?" He seemed amazed. I told him to figure this out, because I was losing my patience. He got back to me with the story (true? untrue?) that he accidentally shipped my order along with a bunch of other stuff to a different fellah in California who orders lots of stuff from him. Now, after all this time, he's got the package back, he has put together a "care package" as he puts it, of extra falls, poppers, and a couple of braided keychains (more than the usual set of a couple extra falls and poppers, apparently) and then last weekend, two weeks after telling me that he would send them, he texted me to confirm my address, and that he was out of town, but had everything and that "now that he had some money" he would rush my package to me from where he was, which was apparently "out of town".

If you are exhausted reading this, think how I feel?

Now, if the whips show up, and they are decent whips, I promise to write an honest review, take pics, the whole nine yards. When I first ordered from the guy and had talked to him on the phone, I was confident that I was going to help this guy build a good reputation among our members. Like I said, he seems very knowledgeable, friendly, and humble. At this point, I just want what I ordered. As far as his reputation, I'm not looking to hurt it, but I have to think of my fellow members and what's best for them. Or maybe I'm just glad that I have an audience to whom I can complain, either way, I'm frustrated. In the end, I'd like to see this guy do well, but I just hope that he can learn a lesson from all this.

And for the record, I've been waiting for 9 months for my order from Graeme, and 6 months for my order from Bernardo, and believe me, I haven't lost my patience with them because I understand their situations. With Mike, I'm just incredulous.

DHW
Last edited by DarenHenryW on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

rawvoodoo wrote:
I also had a dream last night. More of a nightmare really. I dreamt that I got my whip from bernardo and it had

I don't remember it as happening to Dan Borton, but the one time I actually spoke on the phone with Bernardo, he did tell me that has happened to him. He told me that it happened when he sent a bulk of orders to Western Stage Props (used to do business with them, but doesn't anymore, apparently). Now, when he has to send more than one whip, as he is doing with me, he sends each whip separately and staggers them by a few days.

DHW
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Definitely to much fibbing for my taste. If I were you, I'd like to have my cash back. It's ridiculous, whips will be done in 5 weeks, sorry no, 5 months; they are already sent, sorry no, something got messed up, they aren't sent; wow Darren, I admire your patience. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but better be prepared for total failure
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

tomek9210 wrote:Definitely to much fibbing for my taste. If I were you, I'd like to have my cash back. It's ridiculous, whips will be done in 5 weeks, sorry no, 5 months; they are already sent, sorry no, something got messed up, they aren't sent; wow Darren, I admire your patience. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but better be prepared for total failure

Yeah, it's not like I've really needed them, and I've waited plenty long for lots of other items, including whips. But its not the amount of time that's gone by that is frustrating, its the BS.

DHW
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Sounds like Mike is about to earn himself a mention in the "special" spot that belongs to Delinquent Vendors! :tdown:

Allen
Last edited by Indiana County Jr. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Come on Daren, give us some good news! [-o<
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Wow. I feel for you Daren. It must be so frustrating to be in your situation. To be told it'll come in 5 weeks, and it's been 5 MONTHS. I really hope that you get your whips soon.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Has Anyone tried contacting Graeme Roberts by telephone lately? I called him using the number he has posted on his site and the fella who answered it said it was a wrong number.

:-k

DHW
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

This was the last message I recieved from Graeme, dated December 21st.

"Hey. They were shipped friday. Sorry for not sending pics but i'm just so busy up to christmas. You should have them soon my friend. Kindest regard. Graeme."

By "Friday", he must have meant Friday the 17th, but I still haven't gotten my package. Another COW member told me that he's in the same boat with Graeme, "I heard from him in late December and he told me that the package is on its way."

So, that's five weeks I'm waiting for a package between Midlands, England, and California.

Does anybody know about shipping delays, problems with Customs, etc?

And no, Graeme did NOT give me a tracking number.

Daren
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Daren,

Interesting he didn't send pics. In about the same time it would take to write " Sorry for not sending pics but i'm just so busy up to christmas" he could have snapped a pic and attached it.

Your situation has motivated me to send you the pics I took of you when you were up here in August. They're in the mail on Monday morning...you'll get a something whip related next week!

Louie
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

louiefoxx wrote:Daren,

Interesting he didn't send pics. In about the same time it would take to write " Sorry for not sending pics but i'm just so busy up to christmas" he could have snapped a pic and attached it.

Your situation has motivated me to send you the pics I took of you when you were up here in August. They're in the mail on Monday morning...you'll get a something whip related next week!

Louie

Ha ha! I got an email just a few minutes before this saying that you had sent me a package. I had a feeling that this is what it was! You are too sweet, my friend. That's very nice of you to want to cheer me up!

When I get them, I'll make sure to post them here for all to enjoy!

How are you? I saw your soap bubble video on your Facebook! Congratulations on your world record! Very cool!

Thanks again, you're a pal!

Daren
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

This is really frustrating. I was told in the beginning that it would be 4 or 5 weeks and I would have it by the end of October. Since then I have been told 2 or 3 times that it would be a week till it was done and that all that needs done is the overlay. I hate to say it but its starting to feel like I am being told only what I want to hear. I guess that there's nothing left to do but wait and [-o<
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

rawvoodoo wrote:This is really frustrating. I was told in the beginning that it would be 4 or 5 weeks and I would have it by the end of October. Since then I have been told 2 or 3 times that it would be a week till it was done and that all that needs done is the overlay. I hate to say it but its starting to feel like I am being told only what I want to hear. I guess that there's nothing left to do but wait and [-o<
We're in the same boat, Doug. Bernardo is a sweet guy, and a very talented whipmaker. I think he makes promises because he genuinely believes he can fulfill them, but he just has had a lot personal stuff getting in the way lately. I don't like it anymore than you do. But I have complete faith in him. On thing that's good about Bernardo though, is that he will give you a tracking number and tell when it has shipped, and he usually sends photos. When you get that, you know its only a matter a couple of weeks away. I haven't got that yet, but I'm sure it will be soon. He too hasn't finished the overlay on my whips either. On one of my past whips, I know he redid the overlay once or twice because he is a perfectionist. And I must say, it was worth the wait.

DHW
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

rawvoodoo wrote:This is really frustrating. I was told in the beginning that it would be 4 or 5 weeks and I would have it by the end of October. Since then I have been told 2 or 3 times that it would be a week till it was done and that all that needs done is the overlay. I hate to say it but its starting to feel like I am being told only what I want to hear. I guess that there's nothing left to do but wait and [-o<
I feel your pain man. I was originally told it would take 30 days to complete my whip from the date of order. It is now going on 11 months, he will not respond to emails, and now I learn his phone is disconnected. ](*,)

I've been saving my pennies to afford a new rifle, however, I'm starting to think I may end up using the money to buy another whip. (I'm starting to think I won't be getting the first one I ordered.)

Edit: Just wanted to clairfy that I did not order a whip from the same person as you.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Daren! Hey, bro. I just read through this thread and I'm totally amazed! Your patience so far has been incredible, but it might be time to go Terminator on this crazy vendor! Image

Really though, I hope this Mike guy comes through for you. I'd hate to see you ripped off by somebody. I don't think he didn't send you your whips, but I hope that you get what you want when something DOES finally show up.

I agree about Bernardo though - I think he's a good guy. Until now, I think he's had a fairly smooth track record. Granted, he's not as popular as Joe Strain, or Terry, or some of those other big name guys, but he does good work and I found he was pretty good at communicating. It was a few years ago I ordered a whip from Bernardo and I got regular updates, and a photo before the thing shipped out. I thought that was pretty great! I got the same service from Paul Stenhouse back when he was making whips - I think it's a pretty standard service from whipmakers! And tracking numbers? Definitely! I've never EVER been quoted less than a few months though. That's pretty crazy. I like my whipmakers to be so popular that they've got a huge wait. That's proof to me that they're worth my money!! :lol:

But really, good luck! And I hope you come back to Long Beach in November and can show off these things. :whip:

Shane
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Here is a bit of an email I received from Bernardo, everyone,

"Hey Daren!

Well, the latest news, is that I finally finished your whips! yes! well, they are almost done. I have to tie the knots on them, and apply shellac, and that's it. Then it's pictures time. They can not leave without the mandatory photo shoot.

I will try to take the pics this morning, because the weather is crappy these days (rainy and no sunshine), but this morning looks good. So, I'll have breakfast, and then I start finishing your whips.

Thank you for being patient, I really appreciate it."

Pretty good, huh?

Still nothing from Graeme, but since others are in the same boat, and we've had members here explain about shipping delays from the UK, I think that solves the mystery as to where my whips are, probably.

And finally (for now) I talked to Mike Brower last night and whether or not some of the stories he's told me lately have been true, he did confess that part of the reason he hasn't shipped them out is because he hasn't been satisfied with them as a matched pair, and doesn't want to send them out until he's proud of them. I told him that was noble, but that he needs to just trust himself and get on with it.

Daren
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

thats very good news Daren. Its good to hear of movement in Bernardos list. I hope everything works as well on your other two fronts.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Most recent message from Bernardo:

"Hey Daren,

Yes, all finished and ready to ship. They turned out great, and very close to each other (as much as I could). I trust they will serve you well. I am going to the post office today. I was thinking of shipping them together, but then I got afraid that something bad might happen to one of them during custom's inspection there. I haven't made up my mind yet. In any case, I will be shipping at least one of them today.

I haven't been able to take any pics yet. It's been raining in the last few days, and when it's not raining, it is dark and cloudy. My only other option is to take the pics indoors with flash, but the results won't be good. I hope the weather gets better today before I go to the post office.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with the tracking info, and hopefully some decent pics.

Thanks my friend,

Bernardo"

If he does send any pics, naturally I'll post 'em.

I'm so excited!!!!

Now if I could just get my package from Graeme. I have to admit, even though I've heard stories about 5-6 week delays, I am starting to get nervous: it's been 5-6 weeks already. It'd be nice to think that it is indeed "on its way", as Graeme has pretty much stated, but it ***** not having any contact with him since his last message.

As for Mike, I've given him an extension because of his own concern for quality control, but mark my words, by the end of the February, I will have my whips or I will have my money, I made that much clear to him. :|

DHW
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Great news Darren, post pics ASAP. Tell us more about them, what are the specs?
BTW good decision about Mike whips ;)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Great news Daren!
Can't wait to see pics of your new whips.

Not being able to get ahold of Graeme is beginning to worry me as well.
I'm starting to think that it is time to kiss my money good bye.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out my new post, everyone.

DHW
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

kwad wrote:
Not being able to get ahold of Graeme is beginning to worry me as well.
I'm starting to think that it is time to kiss my money good bye.

Let's not start thinking this way just yet. I really don't believe Graeme would do that, but you can read my link and keep your fingers crossed.

That said, perhaps the moderators have some muscle they could exercise here? Dan? What can be done if this goes on much longer and more people with outstanding orders are left out to dry?

Daren
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Okay, enough crappy news. How about some GREAT NEWS?!!!!

Bernardo sent the first of my new pair of whips (and yes, he gave me a tracking number!)

And without any further ado, a photograph:

No, you aren't seeing double; that is a matched pair of Raiders whips, both 7 feet long, with 9" handles for extra leverage. Want these for when showing off with one Indy whip just isn't enough to impress. Been performing for a lot of kids birthday parties lately (and even the rare corporate gig); I usually demonstrate a few different cracks, then do some wraps, cut a few flowers, etc. I usually use a nine footer for the slower, solo stuff, then grab my Midland Whips 6 footer for cuts and wraps. Hopefully with this pair, I will have the best of both worlds, using the single 7 footer for all the multiple cracks/combos as well as the cuts and wraps, and then have the other whip to be able to branch out into a few simple two handed routines to enhance the overall wow factor. At the very least, I'll have a beautiful back up whip in case I lose a fall or get a nasty tangle, etc.

Anyway, it looks like my long slow nightmare of waiting is nearing its end. Hopefully by the time I get my Del Carpios, Mike Brower will have come through, and, god willing, my Midland whips order will also come through.

There's light, boys, there's light . . .

Daren
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

Very good news Daren. Soon it'll all be over and mostly forgotten. Also them are some snazzy whips :tup:
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

DarenHenryW wrote:That said, perhaps the moderators have some muscle they could exercise here? Dan? What can be done if this goes on much longer and more people with outstanding orders are left out to dry?
Daren if you wish to submit an official complaint we can send him a warning. Realistically what we can do if he doesn’t respond or make the situation right is revoke his vendor status and either suspend or ban him from Club Obi-Wan. However if he has pulled a disappearing act (he hasn’t logged in to the site since December 21st 2010) that doesn’t do much good for those who already have orders pending. Unfortunately out side of those actions we don't have a way to force him honor an order or reimburse payment.

Sadly I’ve seen these situations before, some whip makers tend to be all talk and little action, others just get in over their heads and can’t handle the work load with whips being ordered, paid for in full and either taking years to arrive, or never arriving at all. We are all human and sometimes things happen, delays occur, its inevitable but there is no justification for a lack of communication, especially when compiled with mistakes and excuses.

Hind sight is 20/20 but this might be a good time to stress the importance doing business with professional whip makers who not only have experience, but who have also established themselves with both good reputations and solid business practices. You may pay a little more, but you are guaranteed quality and seldom if ever have to deal with this type of drama and uncertainty with orders. With all that said though, I do hope this all works out and that you get the whips you ordered sooner rather then later and they meet your expectations.

Dan

Btw I like the new matched pair.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

BullWhipBorton wrote:
DarenHenryW wrote:That said, perhaps the moderators have some muscle they could exercise here? Dan? What can be done if this goes on much longer and more people with outstanding orders are left out to dry?
Daren if you wish to submit an official complaint we can send him a warning. Realistically what we can do if he doesn’t respond or make the situation right is revoke his vendor status and either suspend or ban him from Club Obi-Wan. However if he has pulled a disappearing act (he hasn’t logged in to the site since December 21st 2010) that doesn’t do much good for those who already have orders pending. Unfortunately out side of those actions we don't have a way to force him honor an order or reimburse payment.

Sadly I’ve seen these situations before, some whip makers tend to be all talk and little action, others just get in over their heads and can’t handle the work load with whips being ordered, paid for in full and either taking years to arrive, or never arriving at all. We are all human and sometimes things happen, delays occur, its inevitable but there is no justification for a lack of communication, especially when compiled with mistakes and excuses.

Hind sight is 20/20 but this might be a good time to stress the importance doing business with professional whip makers who not only have experience, but who have also established themselves with both good reputations and solid business practices. You may pay a little more, but you are guaranteed quality and seldom if ever have to deal with this type of drama and uncertainty with orders. With all that said though, I do hope this all works out and that you get the whips you ordered sooner rather then later and they meet your expectations.

Dan

Btw I like the new matched pair.
Perfectly well spoken and handled, Dan, just as I knew you would. Thank you for checking in here and laying it down for all of us who are concerned. As to your comment that its best to do business with professional whip makers, I think you are very right about that. I'm learning that the hard way with Graeme and Mike Brower, who isn't even a member here. For me, having purchased whips from the likes of Terry Jacka, David Morgan, Joe Strain, and Bernardo Del Carpio, amongst others, I felt that seeing what some budding whip makers had to offer didn't seem like a big deal. Indeed, my first order with Graeme was hassle-free and satisfying. He sure made a fantastic whip for an unbelievable price and was a strong and respectful communicator. I use the whip all the time in fact; after almost a year of serious use (and even a little abuse) it's holding up and still performing very well. I honestly still don't believe that Graeme is attempting to take the money and run with my follow up order. In fact, I'm still 90% sure that my whips are literally stuck in transit as I type this. I hardly think that Graeme never sent them. The fact that he posted a picture of one of the whips he made for me doesn't really prove anything, but its something . . .

Having said that, I do think that he's ready for some kind of "poke". Even if the message doesn't get to him until well after all of our whips arrive, I think he needs to be told not only by us, but by the admins themselves that he has broken our trust and that he will need to earn it back. Even if my order arrives, and I really hope it does, I can't in good faith recommend him to anyone until he proves himself a better communicator. (And would he even respond to an email from a new customer asking for a new order, I wonder?) If our whips never arrive, and he does take the money and run, well, I guess he'll lose his membership and his name will be "mud", and that will be that. Still and all, I don't think that's where we are. I think he's got some bona fide distraction which is preventing him from taking his commitment to his customers and his membership seriously. The question is, how serious is this distraction? Is he, god forbid, in a coma? Or is he just too busy and depressed to deal with life and all of us? Its one of those unfortunate circumstances where you almost feel like "the guy better be in serious trouble to be avoiding me because this is unacceptable."

So, let me just say that, even if it doesn't really do any good, I AM asking that you send out whatever message to him that you can chronicling our collective grievances. I understand that he may not even read it any time soon, if ever, but I think it needs to be sent out regardless.

It's possible that he's shutting all of us out so that he can focus on all the orders he's already taken in, avoiding what he sees as irrelevant communication to people to whom he's already sent out fulfilled orders, but that's why I posted this: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 56#p729156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

. . . so that others who feel shut out can voice their grievances and/or assure us that they are receiving their orders. I mean, if this guy is swamped with orders, there must be a pretty good amount of people, a fair amount COW members I would assume, who will have something to say. If not, then how swamped with orders can he really be? I mean, I'm sorry, but he's no Steve Delk here . . .

Okay, I think I've said enough on this for now. So, Dan, if you wouldn't mind, send whatever message you can. I would really appreciate it. Maybe it will get his attention where the rest of our messages have not.

Thanks,

Daren Henry W.

PS Glad you like the whips. Can't wait to show them to you next November. :lol:

DHW
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Man those are some great looking whips there Daren! Great job Bernardo! :D
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Noah wrote:Man those are some great looking whips there Daren! Great job Bernardo! :D
Yes, with Bernardo, it's definitely WORTH the WAIT!!! Without question!

Daren
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first of my two Del Carpios came this morning!

I'll do pics and a proper review when the second one gets here, which should be in a couple of days!

The end of my long nightmare is finally at hand!

Bernardo, I love you.

DHW
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Great news Daren!
I never doubted that Bernardo would come through for you. :tup:
Hopefully your new whip (soon to be whips, I'm sure) will help keep your mind off of those that have not yet been received.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Daren, congratulations on receiving the next set of whips! :clap:

BTW, the last pair are gorgeous. :mrgreen:
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

At last some good news on the whip front, and boy do they look great!

Enjoy them in good health!

Bravo
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

Great news Daren!
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

That's great Daren! Looking forward to the pics and review. A video would be nice too. :)
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Got the second whip from Bernardo! It sat in customs for almost a week. Bernardo and I were both chewing our nails on this one, but I just picked it up, and it's safe and sound, not to mention gorgeous! Thank you again Bernardo.

When it stops raining, I'll shoot a video and take some pics and write a proper review. For now, just know that I'm a happy Indy.

DHW
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Congratulations! :clap: I can't wait to see pictures! :mrgreen: