My Wested--the beautifully soft lamb

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My Wested--the beautifully soft lamb

Post by RedburnIV »

Hello hello Indy fans! It's great to be back, and first, I'd like to thank all of the members of COW for the quick responses to my post regarding any gear for sale. I found an excellent grail diary, and some really great offers on some beautiful jackets, but low and behold they were not my size. It's the story of my life being a gentle giant. So, I decided to just order a brand new Wested ROLA lamb since the price was very responsible and they seem to have more options than when I ordered one like 7 or 8 years ago.

So about the jacket...Let me just say it's incredibly beautiful, lightweight, and the quality is very noticeably more impressive than the jacket I had ordered back in 2003-2004. I'm very pleased with this jacket, and the fit. I'm so happy with the way it fits and feels while wearing it. Some details; I ordered a custom ROLA lamb, all cotton with inside pocket, x box stitching and sliders instead of D rings. I only double checked my sleeve and chest measurements to make sure it was going to be a great fit. It's a 54 with 28 sleeves and 28 length which might seem odd but fits perfectly. I really didn't want another jacket where the sleeves would ride up to my elbows haha. The leather is incredibly soft and lightweight, and I've noticed the stitching seems to be more supported in different areas of the jacket like the hand warmers. It definitely seems like a more durable jacket than I remember.

I'll try to get pics as soon as possible, but the best part was the wait. I ordered the jacket on the 3rd of January, and received the jacket last Friday, the 14th. That's incredible!! I remembered the month and a half long wait of ordering a Wested and waiting with anticipation for some sign that the jacket will be arriving soon.

I'm not too familiar with the competitors out there, but I feel this is a great jacket and a great price. If there's anything I've learned here on COW it's that we all have our preferences and expectations of the gear we purchase so I'm not looking to start any debates about which jacket is better. I'm just here to say, I found the jacket I've been looking for at a very reasonable price. Pics are coming!!

Regards,

Dan (NeosMatrix003)
Last edited by RedburnIV on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My Wested--the beautifully soft lamb

Post by Gorak »

I have been majorly on the fence about ordering a Lamb Wested. I need something VERY light weight. I love my Todd`s but after owning Wested, I have the itch for one but one that I can wear often down here in hot and humid South Texas. So I am really looking forward to your pictures. How light would you say it is?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Gorak. if you ask for the dark brown lightweight lamb I am sure it will be to your licking. I had one.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

:rolling: Well played!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

that was good :lol:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Good to hear the quality of Wested's product is is on the rise. Also, that turn around time is incredible!
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Wow I was a bit redundant about the fit of the jacket. Haha I meant that seeing as I have broad shoulders and a wide back, jackets tend to fit a bit snug in the arms, and everytime I move my arms I'm afraid I'm going to hear a rip. The length is great. It's shorter than I'm use to but I'll get use to it for sure.

Read a previous post about the smell of a new wested. Ohh man it's wonderful. I would like to dull down the shine but in certain lights it looks beautiful. Nice dark brown.

How do we post pics on here? Do we have to upload then somewhere else and just post a link?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

photobucket.com

copy IMG code and post here.

allowed picture size. 640x480

:TOH:
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Thanks Holt!! The pics didn't come out too well but I'll try to get better ones soon, but just so you get the idea....here ya go :)

If these pics are too big let me know. I keep trying to resize them to fit the dimensions you gave but for some reason they won't change. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Let me know

Dan
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

very nice :TOH:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

WOWWY ZOWWY! I am liking this jacket. Did you order this thru the website or did you call it in? As soon as I corral up some extra dough, I think I am really gonna go for it. Looks like I need to do some research and get the details right without getting too picky and risking something going wrong. Got any shots of the side vent configuration?
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Hey Gorak, sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. The first thing I noticed about this jacket when first opening it and holding it in my hands was the weight. It's incredibly light. I'm not sure how about the humid weather down where you are, but for the chilly Pennsylvania winter it goes well with a hoody. It does a great job keeping your warmth in and keeping the cold air out. I remember reading a few opinions about how satin sleeves are good for the hotter climates. I went with all cotton cause I'm not a big fan of how the satin feels especially first putting it on in cold weather. It always made my arms cold haha. It's a beautiful coat, and I'm really glad they added some support stitching by the hand warmers. That was a big deal for me when I first ordered mine. The seem at the hand warmers ripped instantly. It seems pretty sturdy now. I just ordered it off the website. I clicked on the Custom jackets link and the one on the far right "Custom ROLA lamb" Gave them the measurements I wanted, and sent over an email stating that I'm a pretty big guy with broad shoulders, a big chest and a wide back. I loved the reply "All is OK...Cheers, Peter" haha I would love to go to the shop some day if I ever make it over there. Also, I'm glad they allow the option to order a jacket without the leather lining on the inside of the zipper. I always felt that messed with the drape of the jacket. It's perfect now. :)

You want a better pic of the side or back action pleat?? I can probably get some of the underarm gussets?? I think that's what their called. It's been a while and I'm not sure if I still remember the proper terms for what's on the jacket. :) Let me know if you'd like any pics and I'll do my best to get them here in a timely manner.

Thanks!!

Dan
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

That's a DANG FINE looking jacket you have there!! You wear it very well! Looking forward to seeing more pics :TOH:
Ravenswood
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks great! One of the best Westeds I've seen in a while.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Good looking jacket :tup:

I really like the size of those hand warmers and the color is perfect!!!
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

I'll have to get better pictures. Forgive the mirror. I just liked the color and look in these pictures.

coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Looks good to me! Very nice pocket flaps.
RedburnIV wrote:I'll have to get better pictures. Forgive the mirror. I just liked the color and look in these pictures.

Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

:clap: JUST FANTASTIC!! :clap:
And it's great to see that the seems on the yoke and sleeve are misaligned as they should be!
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Looks really good! Nice pocket flaps. :)
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Hey guys, I just wanted to share more pics of the Custom ROLA lambskin that I ordered back in January. After getting these pictures set up I realized how badly the jacket hangs off my shoulders. Something to look out for in the future I guess :?

Thanks for looking!

Dan
Last edited by RedburnIV on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Dan, that is one incredible looking jacket. In my opinion, one of the best looking out there. You look really comfortable in it and it seems to a part of you allready. Very nice fit. You were the one that pushed me over that edge I needed to get my Wested so I thank you for your advice and keep them pictures coming...its great to see our children grow.
:clap: :clap:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

looks awesome on you!
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Ford's shoulder seams on the Raiders jacket always drooped over. Check out the pics.

SD
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Yeah but it's also why the jacket is so baggy. It has extra room underneath the armpits. After I lost all that weight, there was some time when I stopped going to the gym so I kinda put a bit of weight back on and I'd like to lose it again and get a tighter fitting jacket. Idk we'll see how it goes, but i absolutely love this lamb. It's supple and the sleeves are great. Starting to get the wrinkles with more wear. Can't be more pleased with it. I was also thinking of getting either a Goatskin or a Distressed Cow. I'm not sure though.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Also, I was thinking of throwing it in the dryer to try to shrink it a bit. I was reading a few posts about it in the gear distressing. Anyone try it with a lamb??

Dan (NeosMatrix003)
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I vote that you don't do that.......I reckon at the very least you'll have to re-line the jacket after cos' the lining won't shrink by the same amount as the leather....JMO....I think _ did it on a US Wings Legend Striated Lamb..

I agree with the rest here though...It looks awesome on you the way it is!! :clap: :clap:

Ian
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

do not shrink it. you'll regret it I think. you never know how much it will shrink.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I like the fit too! Dude, I thought I was looking at Zac Brown!!!

Travis
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Hollowpond wrote:I like the fit too! Dude, I thought I was looking at Zac Brown!!!

Travis
Haha thanks man. I've been called "The Dude" before
at random times when I don't wear my hat. Both are pretty good compliments, man. Btw, I'm not going to do the whole dryer thing. Ill just see what happens with natural wear :)

Dan
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

RedburnIV wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:I like the fit too! Dude, I thought I was looking at Zac Brown!!!

Travis
Haha thanks man. I've been called "The Dude" before
at random times when I don't wear my hat. Both are pretty good compliments, man. Btw, I'm not going to do the whole dryer thing. Ill just see what happens with natural wear :)

Dan
First off that is an awesome plan, I did that with with pretty much every jacket and my wested jacket I got from Peter a couple of years ago just keeps getting better and better, should get a picture of it. Very nice jacket, even got the arms seams in the back in the right place. Did you ask for that? Just was wondering since it is a custom jacket. Off the shoulders is what a Raiders jacket pretty much is, very awesome jacket, wear it well and get it broken in, it will just start conforming to your body and it will be a jacket to have for years to come.

IndianaChris
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Hey Chris, nope, I didn't ask for that I got pretty lucky cause all I pretty much told them was I have a big chest and big back. Nothing real special or specific. Pretty awesome. :)

Dan
Last edited by RedburnIV on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

You've got a great looking jacket there, and the fit is right for a Raiders jacket to my eyes. Congrats, and enjoy!

Weston