Phone/gun holster?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Phone/gun holster?

Post by Gorak »

I was wondering if any of the holster makers out there have ever considered building a phone holster that resembled Indy`s gun holster? I`ve always wanted one that way I can wear my weapons rig all the time but I obviously did not want to carry a gun holster around. Perhaps something squared off on the bottom but still have the slanted flap on top or something. I saw one online that resembled that look(cept it had a square top too) but before I inquired about a custom job, I thought I`d offer it to some of the vendors on Indygear...you know, keep it in the family. A Raiders looking phone holster would be awesome and practical and allow us to wear more gear in everyday life....anyone?
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Phone/gun holster?

Post by ob1al »

It brings to mind Gareth's phone holster in "The Office"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ollBdmG0qhU

I know you are talking about a modified, much less obvious thing, I'm only poking a little gentle fun. :lol:

One option to consider might be a local leather craftsman - you have to keep in mind that every cell phone is a different shape and size so it would have to be constructed specifically for your handset.

Al
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I personally want the cell phone holester seen at flight nine design. But he in sot returning emails or phone calls :x
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I'd be happy to tackle this. Can you draw a basic design for what you would want? I've drawn out a couple of rough and basic ideas here for you to check out. I figure you can go two ways; make it like the actual holster with an insert which keeps the phone/PDA at the top of the holster, or form fit the holster to the device and give it a flap and flap strap like the Raiders holster.

W.E.

Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I am glad you responded, Wade, I was thinking like what you see here: http://www.flightninedesign.com/ It is the first pic that you see leather goods. Any idea how much it would cost made out of bison brown?

Thanx!!!
Charlie
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Wow! Nice Wade! I would buy that upper left hand design. :TOH:

Travis
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Wow Wade, I agree that upper left design rocks!
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Ok. So the upper left hand design is the winner so far. Let me know what cell phone you have and I will start working on them. I'll make the prototype to fit my Blackberry and see where we go from there.

As for the Flight Nine style holster. That one looks a lot more comprehensive design wise. I'll have to take a look and see what I can come up with. Also let me know which phone you'd like to see this one made for and I'll work something up.

W.E.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

I like the upper left one Wade :TOH: .
Looking more like a Webley ammo pouch,often seen on a British Officers sam brown with his webley holster in the Great War.
I think that style would be better as it wouldn't attract the attension a gun style holster would in public,plus it would still look great with your gear.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

wow Wade- Thanks for looking into this..... I don`t carry a gun so i was thinking of something with a basic square bottom but with the slanted flap and strap like Raiders. So that the phone kinda peeks out in the back edge. I think the bottom drwaing is closest cept bring the flap up more in the back. I`m sure you know what your doing...I have your belt with whip carrier and it is incredible so I`m sure this project is in good hands....
by the way- I have a T-mobile Samgsung Vibrant...about the same dimensions of the I-phone only alittle bigger. I didn`t think it had to be exact.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I agree - upper left! I have an iPhone (still the 3) and I know someone else with an iPhone 3 that I'd get this for, too
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Ok. I'm going to work on the prototype with an iPhone and my Blackberry to start. Here are the specs I'm working with.

Top loading horizontal carry.
Fully suede lined to protect device.
Raiders accurate flap and strap.
Hand sewn outer edge.
Belt loop or belt clip.
Same top quality leather I use for the holsters themselves.
Colors: Raider Tan, Saddle Brown, Bison Brown, Antique Black, Biker Black.

Once I get the pattern worked out I will offer these in some exotic leathers as well. But that will be down the line.
Should be able to get to this after the first of December (perfect timing for Xmas gifts!). Got the Summit here in Long Beach this weekend and Thanksgiving vacation the weekend after. If I can get something done in the meantime I'll post pics.

W.E.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Hey Wade, what about just tacking the back in four corners so that the holster can be carried horizontally or vertically?
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Ok. I got a wild hair up my :#: a bit ago and went ahead and mocked up a prototype using my Blackberry. The stitching isn't even and I didn't line the inside or finish the edges like I would but you get the idea. This is quick and dirty.

W

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Sweet fancy Moses that looks great! If only I owned a phone good enough to warrant buying one!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Looks great for a rough cut Wade! Are you gonna sew the tab on lower so that it come up at an angle like on the pic? I would make it AS MUCH like the pic as possible. This is gonna be cool. :TOH:

Travis
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

That already looks so awesome!! =P~ =P~
My only personal preference is that the case be vertical as that would give more of the Holster look and feel from far away. But maybe that can be a later option. i have a small pouch from No Fear that looks allmost like your prototype, so that`s why I started wondering about looking for something more vertical. Take your time, I know your busy..just great to know that it is in the works....woohoo!
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Gorak wrote:...My only personal preference is that the case be vertical as that would give more of the Holster look and feel from far away...
That is why I suggested putting an "X" style on the back that is tacked in four corners so that it can be worn either way.

I will see if I can find a pic.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Wow Wade! Prototype looks pretty good. I personally would prefer a clip instead of a belt loop. And I would suggest a deeper scallop cut away to reach the phone (if that makes any sense). But love it!
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Bemo wrote:I personally would prefer a clip instead of a belt loop.
On the other end of the spectrum, I would only buy one if it had a belt loop. :) Looks amazing already.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Got it guys. However, I can't work on this until after the first of December. I've run out of time for this month. Aside from the Summit (starting today) and Thanksgiving, I am moving my shop to Vegas on December 1st. So, I won't be up and running again for this kind of stuff until then.

I can easily make it a clip or a loop, vertical or horizontal, and I can sew the flap strap at more of an angle. All of this is no problem at all and I would love to add this product to my catalog so it will happen.

I'll be back on this thread after I make the move.

:TOH:

W.E.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

that. is. awesome!

I want one!!!
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Funny, I've been thinking of doing this exact project! I have the leather sitting on my work bench in the garage. Was going to use a thick saddle leather for much protection, but couldn't decide whether to go the holster flap route or make the flap like a jacket pocket flap (I'm a sucker for scalloped flaps; western and military all in one), but with the stud fastener like the holster not a press stud like the jacket pocket. And yes clip or belt loop was a toss up.
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Could always go with the ammo pouch used with the Webley holster itself:

Jerry Lee (seller of the gas mask bags, et al) has them for $20.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=2348&bc=no
Capt_Zak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Capt_Zak »

Any update on this project? Was looking forward to seeing/having one of these.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

From Vendor Announcements
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=49427&p=726465#p726465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hollowpond wrote:Soooooo, does that mean we will see some cell phone cases soon?

Travis
Wade Egan wrote:Ha ha! YES!!!

I've worked out the patter for the Blackberry. The iPhone is next. I'm going to start a list so I know how many of which to make. Going with the vertical design and a 5oz. leather.

I need to get all these orders I've finished today along with a bunch of holster for Western Stage Props sent out on Tuesday and then I'm going to complete the prototype Blackberry holster and photograph it for the run post.

: )

W

Travis
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Hollowpond wrote:From Vendor Announcements
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=49427&p=726465#p726465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hollowpond wrote:Soooooo, does that mean we will see some cell phone cases soon?

Travis
Wade Egan wrote:Ha ha! YES!!!

I've worked out the patter for the Blackberry. The iPhone is next. I'm going to start a list so I know how many of which to make. Going with the vertical design and a 5oz. leather.

I need to get all these orders I've finished today along with a bunch of holster for Western Stage Props sent out on Tuesday and then I'm going to complete the prototype Blackberry holster and photograph it for the run post.

: )

W

Travis
That's awesome news!! :clap:

Joe
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I've got my keenest eye trained on how this develops...
DEFinitely interested in gettin one of these!
;)
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

No doubt....
Sooooo up for an iPhone (Model 3?) version.... Very, very cool....
indianaandrews
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indianaandrews »

This is a great project and a surefire winner with us gearheads Wade.
Just a thought regarding the strap. Might it be better to have a magnetic fastening on the strap? I know this is not so accurate, but it would be easier to reach the phone in a hurry. Those brass fasteners are #### hard to pull off the strap, at least until they have worn in.
Only a thought, but fantastic idea. I'll order a vertical one for my iPhone 4 no worries.
Cheers
Mark
Indiana Andrews
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

indianaandrews wrote:This is a great project and a surefire winner with us gearheads Wade.
Just a thought regarding the strap. Might it be better to have a magnetic fastening on the strap? I know this is not so accurate, but it would be easier to reach the phone in a hurry. Those brass fasteners are #### hard to pull off the strap, at least until they have worn in.
Only a thought, but fantastic idea. I'll order a vertical one for my iPhone 4 no worries.
Cheers
Mark
Indiana Andrews
+1 on some magnetic configuration...

Travis
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Any word on this?
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I'm almost done with my Blackberry prototype. Once it's ready to photograph I'll post a new interest thread in the Vendor Announcements. I am only doing Blackberry and iPhone to start out. Once that run is completed we can take a poll and see what other phones they can be made for in the future.

I need to start a list so I know how many of each style to make prior to starting the run.

W.E.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

If it's the version 3 iPhone case I'm up for one, and I may be up for a version 4 in either case, since I might update mine sometime...Or get it for the missus...(And are you going with magnets? Or a fastener? Since the magnets would probably cause less problems with damaging the iPhone display?)..
Definitely would like one though...
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Wade Egan wrote:I'm almost done with my Blackberry prototype. Once it's ready to photograph I'll post a new interest thread in the Vendor Announcements. I am only doing Blackberry and iPhone to start out. Once that run is completed we can take a poll and see what other phones they can be made for in the future.

I need to start a list so I know how many of each style to make prior to starting the run.

W.E.
What kind of Blackberry? I have a torch.

Thanx!!!
Charlie
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Well, the way I can figure it, it will work for any Blackberry the way I'm making it. I'm using the 'holster' concept quite literally. It won't be form fitted but it should be snug and fit nicely for all Blackberries around the Torch/Curve body style.

The same will go for the iPhone version. It will work for all the iPhones and iPods not just the iPhone 4. I should be done with my prototype tomorrow so I'll post it up this weekend.

W

**to answer the magnetic question: No, I'm not going with a magnetic version just yet and I have a system in place which will protect the phone face from any hardware contact so it shouldn't scratch. :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Wade,
Good call on the multiple use thing....iPod's as well? That would be bloody great! I'm up for that, and can't wait for the prototypes to be posted up!
Thanks sir!
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I am so excited for this! I'm tired of always stuffing my blackberry in my pocket, so this will be great! Plus, if it's anything as awesome as his guitar straps, this will be a functional thing of beauty!
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

They're here!!! :D

Raiders inspired Indy Phone Holster for your smartphone or iPod!

Here's the official list thread:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=50735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

W.E.