My Garrison Custom "Indiana Bogart"

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My Garrison Custom "Indiana Bogart"

Post by Bartram »

Hey all,
I've got to show you all some pics of my wonderful "new" fedora I'm calling an "Indiana Bogart" or a "Raiders of the Maltese Falcon".

The story goes that I ordered a Bogart style fedora about a year ago, bashed toward Maltese Falcon specifications. However, when I got the hat it just didn't work. The bash was good but there was so much stiffener in the felt it almost hurt to wear it. What's more the sweatband irritated my forehead due to some rough stitching and poor quality leather. Because the body is a Beaver Brand 6X blend I knew there was potential for the hat, but what's a chap to do when he likes a hat's look but it's so stiff it hurts to wear?

He contacts David Garrison of Garrison Hatters, that's what!

David had reblocked my Fed IV on his Raiders block (work that still deserves some pictorial testimony) with winning results. He's great to work with and, because we had a history of "off the map" projects together, when I told him my story he agreed to help salvage the hat.

David worked with me step by step to ensure that every change made was what I wanted. This was good of him because I really wanted to classic, Bogart, noir-esque grey fedora. As such he was careful to maintain the best of what the former hat was while adding all the values I was looking for.

The work he did was as follows:
1. Remove all the dressings (sweatband, liner ribbon)
2. Treated the crown to remove the stiffener.
3. Reblocked the hat on his Raiders block
4. Pounced the brim and crown.
5. Hand sewed the new sweatband back in. Hand sewed the new ribbon back on (copied the original bow).
6. Hand bashed the crown.

The result is a very custom hat that is a great mix of, well, the Indy and the Bogey.
It's got a shorter crown than my Fed and Henry (mostly because of the deep C crown bash), an Indy Hat ribbon (which is a hair narrower than the original) with the original bow, a uniform 2.5 inch brim with a bound edge and a loose Raiders/Falcon bash.
David's sweatband is also wonderfully soft and becauseof the work he did to soften and pounce the crown makes it wear like a real fedora and not a costume piece.

So, all told I am REALLY happy with this hat and have to celebrate David and his excellent work. He's a true artist, professional businessman and just plain nice guy.
Consider Garrison Hatters not only for their Indy offerings, but also any rehab work you may need done. I can recommend them highly.

Thanks again David!

Best,
Bartram

By dixonkinser at 2011-01-15
Last edited by Bartram on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Re: My Garrison Custom "Indiana Bogart"

Post by Holt »

wow. what a classy look it turned out to be.

amazing work!
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Bartram wrote:He's a true artist, professional businessman and just plain nice guy.
Consider Garrison Hatters not only for their Indy offerings, but also any rehab work you may need done. I can recommend them highly.
I only can quote your perfect words for this great artist. Superb work on the hat!!
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

Hey Bartram (Dixon) ;) ,

Thank you for the kind words. I very much appreciate them. Thanks, also, Steerpike. :tup:

It is good to see this hat on you. Now that I see you in it, I have got to say it suits you well. It was an interesting project reworking this hat for you. I really like the color of this hat. It looks just like a hat from the 30's-40's era. The more you wear it, the more character it will get. I agree with you about the sweatband. The one that was in it felt very uncomfortable, even to the touch, let alone on the head.
I know how important hats are to those who wear them. I work to get the vision the wearer is aiming for. I am a big fan of the Bogart hat, too. I got the TCM "Humphrey Bogart Essential's Collection" for Christmas and have glared over his hat and the differences in each film. Lovely.

I am gald you are pleased and I expect this hat will serve you well for many years.

LLS :TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

NIce, nice, nice!!! :clap:

Travis
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks great!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Does that brim have a bound edge? GREAT looking job!

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

NICE Bartram! That hat looks perfect on you! Well done, Dave! :clap:

I had Mr. Garrison reblock an AB for me a while back and he did a fantastic job on it. (It's still holding up great, too!)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Mr. Garrison reblocked your hat?!?
Well, his alter-ego is "Mr. Hat... :[ "

In all seriousness though, did Mr. Garrison do the bound edge? This question is addressed to the REAL Mr. Garrison...that is, David...

Travis
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Jeeez Louise... that hat is, like, 12 different kinds of awesome!
:D :tup:

Congrats, Bartram!
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

In all seriousness though, did Mr. Garrison do the bound edge? This question is addressed to the REAL Mr. Garrison...that is, David...
:M: , the hat does have a bound brim. The hat already had it. What I did to Bartram's (Dixon) ;) hat did not require me to remove nor improve it. I hand pounced the brim just to blend hat I did the the crown.

LLS(the REAL Mr. Garrison) ;) :)

Bink, I am glad the reblock is still working for you. :tup:

Bartram's hat is a very nice hat and looks good on him. I do reblock/rework some hats. It is on a case by case basis.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Great work all the same, LLS!!! :TOH:

Travis
HerbertJohnsonFan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerbertJohnsonFan »

Awesome hat my friend! I still haven't seen Treasure of the Sierra Madre' but really want to seeing that Lucas and Spielberg took some inspiration from Mr. Bogart's look (The hat was part of that inspiration I believe) :TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Do yourself a favor HJF, go rent it NOW! :TOH:
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

HerbertJohnsonFan wrote:Awesome hat my friend! I still haven't seen Treasure of the Sierra Madre' but really want to seeing that Lucas and Spielberg took some inspiration from Mr. Bogart's look (The hat was part of that inspiration I believe) :TOH:
You have an awsome hat! :TOH:
Here is a good picture of him and his fedora....
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yeah, Hollowpond ain't hardly kidding, either... that movie is REQUIRED viewing. Buh-lieve me, you're doing YOURSELF a favor by watching it... GREAT stuff!
:D :tup:
Coincidentally, just this past week I gave a good friend a copy of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre on Blu Ray.
In the time that I've known him, he's also owned it on DVD and has an old worn out VCR copy he made from a late night "Classic Noir Cinema" airing back in the late 80's.

You should definitely check out this flick, HJF!

(Sorry to hijack, Bartram... once again, SWEET lid!)
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Sorry to be so late to the party....
Thanks everybody for the props on the hat and again thanks to David for the great work.

And as much as I love the TotSM hat, I couldn't bear to rip this one to get that look;)

Cheers all,
B
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Fantastic lid Bartram! :clap: :clap: LLS did a fantastic bit of work with that one. Goes perfectly with your eyewear.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan