Show your U.S. Wings Straited Lambskin Jackets (US made)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Show your U.S. Wings Straited Lambskin Jackets (US made)

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Here is my U.S. Wings Straited Lambskin, I love the jacket, the grain on it is just amazing. :D Just I thought it was a bit too big as far as fit, mostly in the sleeves just a bit, I know some of the pictures are a bit out of focus on a couple. This is a Large, I thought it might be too long in the sleeves, my parents think it is a good fit. Anyone out there who has owned this jacket for a while, do the sleeves shrink a bit? Opinions and thoughts would be appreciated, I e-mailed Sarge that I would want a to exchange this one for a medium, but I wanted to try this jacket on again, maybe the jacket just will shrink a bit in the sleeves over time. I don't want to send a jacket back get the medium and find the medium is too tight, and go back to a large. Let me know guys what you think.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/534 ... 9e78_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5049/534 ... d9d0_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5003/534 ... 131c_z.jpg
Last edited by IndianaChris711 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Here is my U.S. Wings Straited Lambskin US made

Post by sharkboy »

I think more than a few people will tell you that the length is just about right.

SB
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

That last pic shows everything I LOVE about the legend pattern. Sleeves DO NOT ride up. Its awesome!!! And I think it is about the only Wings pattern that has a body shorter than the sleeves. VERY cool look! Enjoy it, it will only get better and better.

Travis
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

IndianaChris711,

Actually, I agree with your parents. The jacket looks like a good fit on you.
The sleeves will shrink up as you wear it (they will get all wrinkled/crinkled and that takes up the length).

The shoulder seems look to be just past your shoulder, which is the look of a Raiders jacket.
I'd be worried that a medium may be too small.

But, maybe Sarge will send you out a medium and you can return the one that doesn't fit.
Doesn't hurt to try.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

I have to agree with what's already been said. I think it works well and you need to factor in the shrinkage that will naturally occur.
If all else fails you might consider the washing machine trick and that will most certainly tighten it up slightly.

IMO I think you need to break it in and let it become part of you..

Enjoy it mate…

Regards

MARK
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Looks like a winner to me! I wish mine would have fit me that well!
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

IMO I think you need to break it in and let it become part of you..
Ditto.
It's amazing how much the fit of a leather jacket will change with time and wear.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

IndianaChris711,

I would hang on to the one you have. Once the sleeves break in they should shorten up a bit.
Cheers,
G-MANN
Last edited by G-MANN on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

If you don't mind me asking, what are your dimensions such as height and weight?
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

That's a tough one. Hard to tell how well it fits by a picture of it right out of the box. This leather is pretty stiff which can cause the fit to seem weird until it relaxes. I would put more weight into how you like the fit through the shoulders, chest and waist. Those sleeves will develop creases and in short order will hit you just about perfect. I'd ask Wings how much tighter the medium would fit compared to your large. I certainly don't see your jacket as looking too large and think you may have issues in the shoulder area with the medium. A lot of it just depends on how prefer your jacket to fit.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Wow thanks guys for your thoughts, I am definately keeping the jacket, Sarge just really nailed the look of these jackets. I may ask him to send me a medium, just to try one on, but from what I am getting from you guys, it look like I have a winner. So its a keeper. This is really a different jacket, maybe I am just not used to the jacket, as someone said the jacket is going to mold become and become part of me. Thanks for your opinions guys, I hope everyone though that wants one of these jackets gets one, just an awesome jacket. Hopefully I can get some better pictures once the weather is better outside.

bobcatmvp1 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what are your dimensions such as height and weight?
Bobcatmvp1 I'm 5' 6" and I weigh 150-160 lbs. Hope that helps you, if you need to decide on sizing.

IndianaChris
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

gladd96 wrote:That's a tough one. Hard to tell how well it fits by a picture of it right out of the box. This leather is pretty stiff which can cause the fit to seem weird until it relaxes. I would put more weight into how you like the fit through the shoulders, chest and waist. Those sleeves will develop creases and in short order will hit you just about perfect. I'd ask Wings how much tighter the medium would fit compared to your large. I certainly don't see your jacket as looking too large and think you may have issues in the shoulder area with the medium. A lot of it just depends on how prefer your jacket to fit.
That is a good question, to weigh in more of the shoulder and chest area, the shoulder area is good, not really loose, but loose enough, and the chest area has more room zipped up than my medium wings Hero jacket, but again it is not extremely loose there. This jacket is definately different from the rest of my jackets, I think it is even heavier than that antique cowhide leather on my Hero jacket, definately feel like your putting on something thick and a bit heavy. I may ask Sarge what the differences are in a medium, but as many have pointed out including yourself, the jacket has a nice fit. Out of the box the leather is very smooth and silky, so I am guessing it is not going to take much to break it in.

IndianaChris
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

IndianaChris711 wrote:Wow thanks guys for your thoughts, I am definately keeping the jacket, Sarge just really nailed the look of these jackets. I may ask him to send me a medium, just to try one on, but from what I am getting from you guys, it look like I have a winner. So its a keeper. This is really a different jacket, maybe I am just not used to the jacket, as someone said the jacket is going to mold become and become part of me. Thanks for your opinions guys, I hope everyone though that wants one of these jackets gets one, just an awesome jacket. Hopefully I can get some better pictures once the weather is better outside.

bobcatmvp1 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what are your dimensions such as height and weight?
Bobcatmvp1 I'm 5' 6" and I weigh 150-160 lbs. Hope that helps you, if you need to decide on sizing.

IndianaChris
I just don't know what is and what is not SA.. I do know if You feel the leather is too long for you just have them taken in But please do not over cut because the arms will just get shorter by wearing the jacket!!
BTW Roz and I are having Lunch together this Wed. in New York City and if you have any questions at all for Roz Please send them to me and I will Ask Her! FYI.. in the past 25 years in Business I have never seen Striated Lamb I like as much as I like the Legend Striated Lamb.. Just blows me away.. The Best of The Best!! I am Glad at last I can now say I have my own.. Bad thing about being the owner.. You always take care of your customers first.

Sarge
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

I have to admit, from the pictures on this thread I am drooling for one of these jackets. I CANNOT wait until my US Made Cowhide gets in (ordered a Long, delayed). I have never been more excited for an article of clothing. And I know it will give me joy for years to come. Both IndianaChris711 and G-MANN have incredible jackets. You two are so lucky, and I'm so excited.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

IndianaChris711 wrote:

IndianaChris
Wow...wait. If that is your size, I might would opt for the medium. I say that only because I am 6' tall and weight 185-190 and the large is like it is tailored to me. I mean it. I could not get a better fitting jacket if I paid twice what I did and got a complete custom. Sarge is pretty good at returns so I would give it a shot. Once that large breaks in it's gonna get all drapey and then it might look bigger than it does now. It's quite stiff now isn't it? Mine was.
Only other advice I could give is to give it _ and Weston's washer treatment, but know that once that bridge is crossed there is no going back and all chances of a return are off the table. :TOH:

Travis
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

It looks perfect to me, the length, the fit etc.....The arms look slightly (and I mean slightly) too long, but as has been said, they'll shrink up as the arms get wrinkled......It looks totally awesome dude!!!

Based on those photos, there is no way I'd sent it back....It looks perfect on you!! Live in it for a few weeks to get some character to the leather.

Ian
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

It fits you perfect. the jacket is awesome. I think this one here is the best one I have seen.

hands down, Sarge did a wonderfull job on recreating this jacket!
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yeah...I think Travis might be on to something there. If you're considering "trying on" a medium, do so. I'd be interested in how much better it fits through the shoulder area, too....

But, if you're happy with it and your parents are, too...well, then she's a keeper!!
:TOH:
Indydawg
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Indydawg wrote:Yeah...I think Travis might be on to something there. If you're considering "trying on" a medium, do so. I'd be interested in how much better it fits through the shoulder area, too....

But, if you're happy with it and your parents are, too...well, then she's a keeper!!
Indydawg
Actually after sleeping on it, I figured I might as well "try on" a medium just to see what the difference is. I contacted Wings and they said they could do that, so I guess we'll see what the difference is, I ordered a medium for my Hero jacket and that is what they told me to order, I ordered a large based on what they told me I should order, I am though just wondering how a medium would fit. Definately will report back in, once a medium arrives. Although I see what you guys are meaning though as the jacket will wear and shrink up in the sleeves. Definately just need to see how a medium will fit on me. Thanks again guys appreciate your guys opinions, hopefully get the medium in soon and report back here with some pictures.

IndianaChris
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

a pic with the jacket unzipped and shirt tucked in would be helpful to see how it fits.
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

IndianaChris711 wrote:
Indydawg wrote:Yeah...I think Travis might be on to something there. If you're considering "trying on" a medium, do so. I'd be interested in how much better it fits through the shoulder area, too....

Indydawg
Actually after sleeping on it, I figured I might as well "try on" a medium just to see what the difference is. I contacted Wings and they said they could do that, so I guess we'll see what the difference is, I ordered a medium for my Hero jacket and that is what they told me to order, I ordered a large based on what they told me I should order, I am though just wondering how a medium would fit. Definately will report back in, once a medium arrives. Although I see what you guys are meaning though as the jacket will wear and shrink up in the sleeves. Definately just need to see how a medium will fit on me. Thanks again guys appreciate your guys opinions, hopefully get the medium in soon and report back here with some pictures.

IndianaChris
Your a wiser and stronger willed man than I am. Once I felt that leather there was no way I was sending it back. Luckily mine fits like a glove. For reference I'm 6' 195-205 lbs and I have the large so I think if you like a more fitted look then you may well prefer the medium. Or maybe I'm just sporting the Chris Farley fat man in a little coat look O:)

I really wasn't going to buy the legend until I saw how awesome the leather was. I must say this is much more substantial lamb compared to my Wested lamb jacket. It reminds me of a thick cowhide jacket but it has the softness of lamb. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between striated lamb and non striated but my jacket started out fairly smooth and in short order has started to develop a lot of interesting grain patterns even more than my Wested did after I ran it through the washing machine treatment. I think the SL has a much dressier look to it than the other offerings which I prefer but unlike a lot of the smooth finished leathers out there this one seems to have plenty of character. This jacket is a good choice for those of us urban adventurers that want to have a jacket that naturally distreses with a lot of character. Of course the examples of this that have been washed look pretty cool and seem to have some of the same characteristics of the on screen jackets so I guess it's a good for the non-natural crowd too.

I must say I'm torn between the SL and the antique cow. They are both really great. I think personally the style of the SL fits me better but the antique cow is a much more practical leather. The cow is what I'd choose if I were going on a dig, exploring or fighting Nazis. The Lamb is probably tough enough to take close to the same abuse but I'd just feel wrong exposing such a nice garment to such harm.

I've never owned a goat skin Indy jacket but I absolutely love my goat G1! It seems like it would take either a special treatment or a lot of breaking in to translate to this type of jacket but I bet if you had the right goatskin it would be awesome.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Looks nice, but if your 5'6" and weigh in at 150 -160lbs. Hmm a med might be a closer fit. See I'm in line for an imported SL (or maybe something else, calling Sarge tommorrow about that [-o< ) and I'm getting a medium, going by their size chart. I'm 5'5" and weigh in at 140 - 150lbs. and by my conversations a medium "should be my best bet. Once I get my jacket I'll post on this thread my thoughts on my jacket.

By the way, not to critize, but are those pockets correct in size, look a bit tall.
Or it could just be me.
My Todds measure 7-1/4" tall and my Wested measure 7-3/4" tall. What do your pockets measure in height, if you don't mind me asking.
Croft :mrgreen:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Indiana Croft wrote:Looks nice, but if your 5'6" and weigh in at 150 -160lbs. Hmm a med might be a closer fit. See I'm in line for an imported SL (or maybe something else, calling Sarge tommorrow about that [-o< ) and I'm getting a medium, going by their size chart. I'm 5'5" and weigh in at 140 - 150lbs. and by my conversations a medium "should be my best bet. Once I get my jacket I'll post on this thread my thoughts on my jacket.

By the way, not to critize, but are those pockets correct in size, look a bit tall.
Or it could just be me.
My Todds measure 7-1/4" tall and my Wested measure 7-3/4" tall. What do your pockets measure in height, if you don't mind me asking.
Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Croft, yeah, I know, I probably should have mentioned weight and height to wings before I ordered my jacket instead of going based on my previous purchase which is a Hero jacket. That would be great if you could post some pictures of your medium whenever you get it. I am getting a medium but I am not sure when it is going to get here, I am assuming soon, but probably a couple of weeks maybe. So we'll see how a medium fits, I think it might fit better, but I could be wrong.

Actually regarding the pockets, that is one thing I noticed, they are huge, especially for a Raiders jacket, I believe I have 9 inches tall, 7 inches wide that includes the seam on the outside. They are huge, and I was wondering in my head if they are suppost to be like that? :-k I don't know myself, maybe some others who have gotten their straited lambskin jackets made in the U.S. can comment on that, but that is what I got as far as measurements. I did think they were a bit on the large side, but again, maybe that is cause I ordered a large. ;)

IndianaChris
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yeah, the pockets are long. Width-wise head on nail accurate. I get close to 9 inches on mine as well. About 1 inch too tall. Not SA at all. (Neither is the zipper... :CR: :lol: )And yet, I still LOVE this jacket! Yall might be sick of hearing this from me, but the fit is INCREDIBLE for me. I have written down all the measurements on this jacket, and if I get me a custom made half-belt this year its measurements will be based on the legend pattern.

Travis
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Travis- Let's see some pictures!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

They're coming...My camera situation right now leans more toward rubbish than anything else. I'll try to get some good pics in the sunlight this weekend.

Travis
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Hollowpond wrote:I have written down all the measurements on this jacket, and if I get me a custom made half-belt this year its measurements will be based on the legend pattern.

Travis
I have to agree Travis. After all my Indy jackets this is the only one that "really" fits me and I wouldn't have known that without getting this one... Which ***** because now I don't want to wear any of my other jackets. ](*,)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yeah, and despite all the little non-sa idiosyncrasies, it just feels like an adventurer's jacket!

Travis
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Agreed...and you can just imagine how much MORE like that it feels in the bison! ;)
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

I think the fit of the jacket looks good on you, which seems odd if your jacket is indeed
a size large since you say you are 5'6" and about 155 pounds.

The shoulders don't hang down too much, and the length is good. It may look a little
long because of the shirt you are wearing under the jacket is dark, and it makes the
jacket look longer.

The sleeves are a bit too long, but that's better than a bit to short. They can
be taken up some for about $20.00 or so at any reputable taylor shop.

The pockets on the other hand are WAY too long. They look almost weird
on that size jacket. Sorry, but that is how it looks to me, and you asked for
opinions.

What is baffling to me is your actual size versus the jackets size.

At 5'-6" tall and only about 155 pounds, a size medium is the size you should take.
You should be floating in a large, but it does not seem to be like that in your pictures.

It almost looks like you have a size medium jacket with XL size pockets.

You say that you already have a size large in the Hero? Can you do this for us:

Take both of your Wings jackets, zip them up, and lay them flat on your bed
with the zippers facing up.

Then measure each of them across the chest from armpit to armpit. Then
flip the jackets over, and measure them from the top of one shoulder seam
to the other, and then from the base of the collar (where the collar stand
meets the back of the jacket) down to the bottom hem.

Then measure the sleeves on each jacket from the shoulder seam down to
the end of the cuff.

What do you get for those measurements? If you give us those numbers,
we can better judge what size jacket you actually have by comparing it to
known Wings jackets.

Then, measure your own chest, and tell us what your actual chest measurement
is. At 5'6" and 155 pounds, you have a small framed body, and I bet a medium
would fit you much better.

It is a nice looking jacket though, and no matter what you get, it was a good
choice of leather for you!

Flathead
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I'll say this, too...the pockets DO seem a TAD on the tall side...

Not an issue for me, really..and I'm pretty tickled with it all around...

But, I agree the pockets are a BIT tall...
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

The observation must be made...

In that third picture, with the contrasted lighting, the frilly drapes and the couch and your arms outstretched as they are, you appear as a zombie from some 1930s Lugosi type film, rising from a coffin in a funeral home.

:lol:

That said, great looking jacket! :tup:
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

If your concerned about fit, measure your chest, divide that by 2. Take that new number, add 4 inches for a roomier fit, 3 inches for slightly fitted, 2 inches for fitted with a little wiggle room (this is what I go with always) 1 inch for fitted!

Then measure your jacket, and if it measures to one of the above options, and is what you want, then you are good.

Example, my chest measures 37.5" so I round up to 38. All my jackets measure 21" to 21.5" across the chest.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yeah, they look alittle tall but I think some of the real raiders jackets had taller pockets then the known size from the nowak original copy.

look here. the pockets look HUGE. bigger then a nowak pocket. they look about the same size as the jacket shown above

bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

I was wondering for people who have a large (maybe IndianaChris711, G-MANN, or Hollowpond) could you measure the back of the jacket for me? From the bottom of the collar stand to the bottom of the jacket? Thanks in advance.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Indiana Holt wrote:yeah, they look alittle tall but I think some of the real raiders jackets had taller pockets then the known size from the nowak original copy.

look here. the pockets look HUGE. bigger then a nowak pocket. they look about the same size as the jacket shown above

Wow, I have never seen this pic, and a picture is worth a thousand words my friend! The pocket does look big. Thanks for posting this! :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

IMO they look almost to be identical to the ones seen above..

so you see that even though we mostly see the main hero and second hero with a certain pocket height. Ford did wear other jackets to. bantu wind and this one shown in the picture with big pockets. I think the pockets look good. I think the large looks awesome on him. it will shrink. all lambskins do it just may take alittle while longer since this not lamb but sheep. and that means a thicker skin.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Indiana Holt wrote:yeah, they look alittle tall but I think some of the real raiders jackets had taller pockets then the known size from the nowak original copy.

They do look big on that shot, but aint the proportions all distorted because the shot is taken from below pointing up?....You seem to get a close-up of the pockets (making them look bigger?)...JMO.. :-k

Ian
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, this photo has been discussed many times. The photo is a distorted angle due to the forced perspective of the lense. The pockets are no where near that large, nor is the jacket that long.

Want proof? Look at the size of his hand holding the idol. It's the size of a catcher's mitt! Translate that hand to the size of his head. :lol:

The distortion isn't terrible, but enough to throw off visual sizing, and only done for dramatic effect.

Regards! Michaelson
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Have a look at the windflap too it appears 3 inches wide. I don't know it distortion explains all this but I'm happy to defer to smarter students of Indy jackets.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Michaelson wrote:Yeah, this photo has been discussed many times. The photo is a distorted angle due to the forced perspective of the lense. The pockets are no where near that large, nor is the jacket that long.

Want proof? Look at the size of his hand holding the idol. It's the size of a catcher's mitt! Translate that hand to the size of his head. :lol:

The distortion isn't terrible, but enough to throw off visual sizing, and only done for dramatic effect.

Regards! Michaelson
I never noticed the size of that hand before! It's like the hands in The Science of Sleep.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Travis- Let's see some pictures!
Here they go! Excuse the crazy looks, I was trying to tell my kid what to do while posing at the same time...
Travis
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

this jacket rocks on you! perfect fit. this is Large right?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Excellent! Feels like you could take on the world in that jacket, doesn't it?

Great pics!

Weston
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yes Holt, it is a large. Thanks Michael for your kind words! :TOH: And yes Weston, this feels like a real world adventurers jacket!

Travis
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Looks awesome, and it appears to be a perfect fit!
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Hollowpond wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:Travis- Let's see some pictures!
Here they go! Excuse the crazy looks, I was trying to tell my kid what to do while posing at the same time...
Travis
As good as it gets. Excellent!
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

RayROnline wrote: As good as it gets. Excellent!
I have to agree.. A simply fantastic jacket and you wear it well!

Kind regards

MARK
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

KramStaar wrote:
RayROnline wrote: As good as it gets. Excellent!
I have to agree.. A simply fantastic jacket and you wear it well!

Kind regards

MARK
WOW... Now that is a class act.... What great pictures.. What else can you say ..Indiana Holt will not sleep until He gets His next week!! Sure hope the Customs agent does not walk off with His Legend Striated Lamb!! I have been wearing the Legend Streiated Lamb made by Roz Schott for the past four days and honestly never have liked an Indy -Style Jacket as I do this one...Hard decision.. Striated Lamb one day and Bison the next.. Does not get any better than this.... Sure love this business.

Sarge