New to the list and going to try something a little crazy

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

wolf2hawks
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

New to the list and going to try something a little crazy

Post by wolf2hawks »

Wolf2 Hawks here, new to the list, long time Indy fan.
I've been lurking on the list for a long time, and since I was getting started in leatherworking, I decided to for my first project to make my own Raider's gunbelt, Holster and whip carrier, but I decided on trying something a little crazier than most. I'm going to attempt a Raider's Indy flap holster, but made in left handed(all that has to be done is turn the pattern inside out), and for a Browning Hi-Power. It's not going to be entirely Indy, but I'm going to keep it in the spirit of the movie.(Only other flap holster I've found is a copy of the German WWII holster for the Browning after they captured the Browning factory in Belgium, sold by IMA but it's right handed only). Hope to keep everyone appraised on the project as I go along, have to finish up the patterns soon, and finish getting the supplies.(Any extra help would also be appreciated on color, looking through leather suppliers and found a color named British Tan that looks real close).

On a different note, I was watching Temple of Doom the other night, and noticed something wanted to see if anyone else has caught. Just before the scene where they go to whip Indy and Short Round, (where they pick up Indy's whip) some items are tangled up in the whip and are dropping off. One of the items appears to be a small sheath knife(geussing about a 3 and 1/2 inch blade with a wooden handle. Unless you slo-mo just as the thugee picks up the whip, you miss it) tangled up and falls off the whip. Anybody knows if there was talk of either character supposedly carrying such a knife? Like to know as I plan on also adding a small knife to the belt too(another hobby trying to get into is knife making). Again, at least on my VHS copy, you have to slo-mo to catch it. Just caught it out of the corner of my eye, had to rewind and slo-mo several times to catch it, and don't have the stuff to do a screen capture.

Well, hope to have some pictures of my project soon(have to pick up my Ron Edwards book on Whipmaking this week so I can learn how to make the whips too. I like to try and make a lot of my own gear, Like to do things the hard way). Catch ya later.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It belonged to Short Round. When Indy and SR go into the 'spike room', Shorty was holding it in 'attack' style for stabbing, so you can see it clearly there. Regards. Michaelson
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

yeah, indy is trying to pry out the rock that short round leaned into, then hands it back to shorty. I think when that happens indy is saying "it's a long story while, hurry or you won't get to hear it".
good luck on you leather holster + belt
-scott
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Please be sure to post pics of your progress.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Great project! We look forward to seeing the finished result!
wolf2hawks
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by wolf2hawks »

I'll try to let everyone know how things are going. Just have to finish up the pattern for the holster, line up some leather and hardware, and hopefully be starting here in the next couple of weeks.

Missed the scene showing Short Round with the knife. Temple of Doom is one of the movies in the trilogy I don't watch a whole lot, was home with the flu and just put it in and caught the scene with the knife(strange how you seem to concentrate better when you're sick).

Well got to head back home, snow's starting to pile up here in east central IL. Hope to have more info soon. Catch Y'all later.