Why won't Schott make an Indy?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Why won't Schott make an Indy?

Post by AdaminNYC »

I mean, an Indy movie basically used the Schott Perfecto. It would seem fair. And though it wouldn't likely be SA, it would almost certainly be the toughest leather jacket you ever owned.
Anyone know someone at Schott we can pitch it to?
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Why won't Schott make an Indy?

Post by sharkboy »

they have been making them for US Wings for a long time as told by many others.

SB
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Yep. In fact, Sarge himself has mentioned it!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's true. All U.S. made Wings Indy jackets have been made by Schott, and literally for years.

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

If I were the film maker, I would have started with a Schott (or a vintage example in hand), listed my alterations for TNO for my needs, and gone with that. Does that count as "designing?" :-k If so, by whom? And would that have been what SS and GL would have done?
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

I was thinking about this recently when I saw some old 8mm films my grandfather took from the fifties. It was from a dirt bike race and there were all these motorcycle gang people in the crowd and they all had leather jackets. They all looked like Perfecto's but more like imitations.

I assume at the time that many knockoffs were around, and maybe that's how Mutt's was envisioned. Kindof a cheap knockoff that was all he could afford.

SB
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

_ wrote:I've been wanting to ask a related question. A certain faction does not actually believe TNO designed the Mutt jacket, do they? The perfecto is one of the oldest and most successful designs and has been plagiarized more than wikipedia. Even Bates, et al concede they make custom- sized and altered versions of the Schott Perfecto. That's what the Terminator jacket is. That's what the Mutt jacket is.
Exactly. I sometimes think the word designed is wrongly used when what is really meant is that a maker has made their version of a well-established form. Re-imagined is probably a better word but that sounds pretentious. :-k At teh risk of starting a thing (please censor me if you must, mods) the Surrogates jacket is a skillfull take on Californian Sportswear half belt, the Mutt ditto on a Perfecto. You could almost say that the Indy jacket itself is a skillful reimagining of a vintage utility jacket but at least the Indy combines features of an A2 with a utility and seems to have a back pattern design I have not seen elsewhere in 25 years of jacket collecting.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

_ wrote:Well, at further risk? I have it on pretty good authority that the jacket Willis wears is actually a vintage jacket.
That would be vindication for many who insisted it was a vintage jacket. Looking at some of the photos from production, it is hard to believe it was not a vintage piece. Tony must have copied a vintage Californian jacket in the first place (there are photos on the web of vintage jackets that look exactly the same).
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

You would have a bit of insight into that, too, Forrest...having one of the best vintage half-belts I've ever seen in hand to compare those photos to.

It IS hard to believe that the Surrogates jacket is a hand-distressing job....doesn't mean it isn't, but...

So, basically...in answer to the original question...doesn't Scott actuall MAKE an Indy jacket already? Don't they make the Signature Series and now the US-made Legends?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Re-read my reply above, Dawg. :lol:

To repeat, all U. S. made Wings Indy jackets have been Schott jackets for as long as I can remember. It's just not been common knowledge until recently.

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

yeah....I know...I was re-stating what you'd already stated, which has now been re-stated...again...

I think three times is enough, right? :[

:lol:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Come on Dawg... One more time wouldn't hurt. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

Sorry about that Dawg. :TOH:

Thing is, your last sentences ended with question marks.

You needed to answer them by saying 'yes....yes they do, and yes the are.' ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:lol:

Yes...I suppose you're right ;)
:TOH:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Starting to sound like Jeopardy.

"I'll take what hide is that for $500, Alex."
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

And the Answer is "This hide has been seen being worn by renowned Archeologist Indiana Jones"

... wait the judges say that either, cow or lamb will be accepted. :lol:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

BINGO!!!

Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I had to do a search to see what you guys were talking about with regards to the Surrogates jacket. It certainly looks vintage, although it also looks like it could be a new jacket constructed with beat up hide. I saw some of the hides in TN’s shop (for instance) and it would be an easy thing to do.

Off topic, the Surrogates movie provided me with one of my best laughs in a movie theater. At the end of the preview for Surrogates, I out loud said, “I’ll send my surrogate to go see it”. Got a big laugh from the crowd.
:rolling:
The movie looks horrible. I bet the jacket is the only good thing about the movie. I have a few great John Barry soundtracks that accompanied awful movies, lol.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I thought the movie was pretty fun...and an interesting extrapolation of the future possible world if the "living online" culture accelerates in popularity...although a wild future....of course, who in the 70's figured there would really be communication devices like Captain Kirk's?!?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

_ wrote:Funny you say that because I thought it would have made a decent script for a Star Trek TOS episode, but for a full length movie? Not so much...

Yep. April Ferry (I've interviewed her) did T3 and Surrogates. She bought a vintage half-belt made by California Sportswear and asked TNO to make back-up copies. Willis wore the original. The copies never saw daylight let alone screen-time. But, the church of the forked-tongues will cry foul and Riley will say I'm bashing daddy. Just telling the truth as I know it and as it's been reported by people to whom I give credit and who should know because their names roll at the end of the fxxxgxn flick. How nefarious of me!!!
I always wondered about it - thanks for the info. Could TN have relined a vintage jacket?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

_ wrote: Yep. April Ferry (I've interviewed her) did T3 and Surrogates. She bought a vintage half-belt made by California Sportswear and asked TNO to make back-up copies. Willis wore the original. The copies never saw daylight let alone screen-time. But, the church of the forked-tongues will cry foul and Riley will say I'm bashing daddy. Just telling the truth as I know it and as it's been reported by people to whom I give credit and who should know because their names roll at the end of the fxxxgxn flick. How nefarious of me!!!
Finally, the truth comes out! I'll take your word for it, _. I always, always, always thought that was a vintage jacket. I literally couldn't believe that anybody could create something like that. The thing looked like a 60 year old jacket. It would take a magician...
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

Wait... What? Schott makes US Wings' US made Indy jackets? You mean all this time I could have owned an Indy made by the same people who made all my most favorite jackets.
Oh, but now I'm married and I think if I were to replace a jacket (that she already thinks I'm unhealthily attached to) with another exactly the same jacket, she'd have me committed.
Man, someone should have said something for some reason!
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Michaelson wrote:Re-read my reply above, Dawg. :lol:

To repeat, all U. S. made Wings Indy jackets have been Schott jackets for as long as I can remember. It's just not been common knowledge until recently.

Regards! Michaelson
Really? Except for the years when Neil Cooper made them? Or the years Sarge said he made all
his Indy jackets inhouse in his own factory? I still have some saved COW archives with
this info from back around 2003. Sarge stated that he took over the making of the Indy
jackets from Cooper because of quality control issues at that time.

I own a " US Wings" Antique cow jacket from 2002 that was made by Neil Cooper. It has
the Neil Cooper label in it, and I got it right from US Wings.

When I asked Sarge back then if I could get the sleeves shortened, he stated he could
not do it, and that I had to send it back to "The guy that makes our jackets for us".

That guy was Neil Cooper. I still have the invoice showing the address for the Cooper
factory. I had them take off 1.5 inches on the sleeve length for me because I have
short arms. It cost me $12.00 plus a few bucks for shipping the jacket back and forth.

My CC payment even went to Neil Cooper for the alteration. At no time did any of my
correspondence go to anyone from Schott, nor was the Schott name ever mentioned on any
invoice, other paperwork or e-mails.

Perhaps you are refering to the ones that have been made in the last few years?

Or was Neil Cooper and the Schott company doing business together back in 2002?

That would put a new wrinkle on things wouldn't it!

Flathead
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

FLATHEAD, I'm only repeating what I've been told. Wings jackets, from the time they took over the Cooper company in 1986 to present, have had all their American made jackets made by Schott.

At what point Cooper got out of the business making his own jacket, and when he started subcontracting others to make them with his label is unknown by this writer. I was told that at the end most all Coopers were being made by a company in Pennsylvania. I'm just guessing, but I bet your jacket was altered by that factory if Wings sent it back to Cooper for the work.

What I find odd is the date, if you're saying it was 2002. Cooper was completely out of the jacket business, and had been for 8 years by that time. :-k

That said, because you have an invoice from Cooper doesn't necessarily mean he did the work. He may have billed you if he still had any presence in the business, but at the end of his company control in 1986 he wasn't doing any of his own stuff anymore. His subcontractor was.

Don't shoot the messenger. :lol: The history of the companies overlap so much as to how it all evolved is hard to follow. That said, though, Wings jackets under the control and ownership of David Hack have had all of their American jackets made by Schott for years, or at least that's that I was told years ago. That was only pubically announced by David himself here at COW last July. A few of us already knew, but were asked to keep it to ourselves, which we did. Exactly what point they took over and Cooper completely went away I do not know, but I do know Schott was making them at the time this site began, and that was in 2002 as well.

I, too, thought Wings had their own factory back in the day. I can also understand the claim being made by the company who pays the bills. How many times have you heard a home owner tell folks what they did to their house after a new addition was added, when in reality it was their contractor who did all the work? The owner never touched a hammer during the entire project, but you never hear THAT part of the story. :lol:

To be fair, I don't recall Wings ever claiming to make their own jackets themselves. It was assumed by us hobbiests and collectors, and WE said they did. I guess it never occurred to us to ask at the time. #-o

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

No, FLATHEAD, I recall the same things you do.

Interesting... :-k

I had this response all nicely typed, but...

Well, Michaelson replied with the same thing I was going to say while I was typing, so...

Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Sound explanation, P!

Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...and those Cooper Disney jackets were made in that Pennsylvania subcontractor plant, by the way.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

AdaminNYC wrote:Wait... What? Schott makes US Wings' US made Indy jackets? You mean all this time I could have owned an Indy made by the same people who made all my most favorite jackets.
Oh, but now I'm married and I think if I were to replace a jacket (that she already thinks I'm unhealthily attached to) with another exactly the same jacket, she'd have me committed.
Man, someone should have said something for some reason!
We weren't a liberty to say anything about it. :cry:

That's probably why we've been so fortunate to be able talk to so many of our vendors one-on-one all these years....it's because we DON'T reveal information when we're asked not to BY the vendors.

Trust is a difficult thing to earn, and even harder to keep. We work hard to keep that trust.

Regards! michaelson
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Michaelson wrote:FLATHEAD, I'm only repeating what I've been told. Wings jackets, from the time they took over the Cooper company in 1986 to present, have had all their American made jackets made by Schott.

At what point Cooper got out of the business making his own jacket, and when he started subcontracting others to make them with his label is unknown by this writer. I was told that at the end most all Coopers were being made by a company in Pennsylvania. I'm just guessing, but I bet your jacket was altered by that factory if Wings sent it back to Cooper for the work.

What I find odd is the date, if you're saying it was 2002. Cooper was completely out of the jacket business, and had been for 8 years by that time. :-k

That said, because you have an invoice from Cooper doesn't necessarily mean he did the work. He may have billed you if he still had any presence in the business, but at the end of his company control in 1986 he wasn't doing any of his own stuff anymore. His subcontractor was.

Don't shoot the messenger. :lol: The history of the companies overlap so much as to how it all evolved is hard to follow. That said, though, Wings jackets under the control and ownership of David Hack have had all of their American jackets made by Schott for years, or at least that's that I was told years ago. That was only pubically announced by David himself here at COW last July. A few of us already knew, but were asked to keep it to ourselves, which we did. Exactly what point they took over and Cooper completely went away I do not know, but I do know Schott was making them at the time this site began, and that was in 2002 as well.

I, too, thought Wings had their own factory back in the day. I can also understand the claim being made by the company who pays the bills. How many times have you heard a home owner tell folks what they did to their house after a new addition was added, when in reality it was their contractor who did all the work? The owner never touched a hammer during the entire project, but you never hear THAT part of the story. :lol:

To be fair, I don't recall Wings ever claiming to make their own jackets themselves. It was assumed by us hobbiests and collectors, and WE said they did. I guess it never occurred to us to ask at the time. #-o

Regards! Michaelson
I remember very clearly Sarge saying he was making the jackets "in his own factory".

As a matter of fact, It was Indydawgs Vintage Cow jacket that I first saw on the old Indy fan forum back around 2001/2002, and
it was that jacket that made me want one.

The jackets were all Coopers at that time, just some had "US Wings" labels in them, and some, like mine still had
the "Neil Cooper" labels in them. People started to complain about problems with the lining hanging down too far, and showing
from underneath the back of the jacket. Sarge told us, thru posted e-mails from the moderators of that forum, and this
forum, as it was just getting started, and people were making posts on both forums at the time, that US Wings was severing
its ties with Cooper, and that all the jackets would be made at "our own factory" to help with quality control.

And the address and name I was given, as to where to send my jacket to get the sleeves altered, came right from
Sarges own personal e-mail to me.

He gave me all the contact info. Who to send it to. Where to send it, and who to send the payment for said
alterations.

I didn't pull the name and place out of a hat. I was given it by the man who sold me the jacket.

I will see if I can post up those e-mails for you.

Whether Neil Cooper himself was involved personally, I can't say. But I was given his companies name, address
and billing info as to the proper location to send my Neil Cooper labeled US Wings Vintage Cow Indy jacket for alterations.

I corresponded with a person by the name of Candida at Neil Coopers company. I will assume it was a woman. They were very helpful,
and the price was very reasonable for the alteration.

I asked Sarge about why he couldn't fix the jacket, and as I said, he told me to send the jacket to its
original maker, who was Neil Cooper.

Perhaps this was an older version of the jacket that still has the Neil Cooper tag in it. But I bought it
from US Wings, and had to return it to Neil Cooper to fix it.

I only know what I have in my own hands. I have a Neil Cooper Indy jacket, sold by Wings, that was
fixed by Neil Cooper because they made it as stated by the guy I bought it from, who was Sarge.

Once I dig up the old paperwork, I will take some pics of it, and post it. I find it interesting that there are
so many versions of this Cooper/Wings jacket around at that time. As _ verified, he has had some
come up for sale as late as 2005. And these jackets are labeled Neil Cooper, not Schott.

Like I said, it was Indydawgs jacket, back in the 2001/2002 range that prompted me to get one. I don't
recall whose label was in his jacket. He can verify that for us. But mine is labeled a
Cooper, sold by Wings, and fixed by the Cooper factory, or one its constituants that still used the Cooper
name.

Flathead
Last edited by FLATHEAD on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

_ wrote:Neil Cooper as a person has not owned Neil Cooper the jacket company since... I don't have the exact date handy, but it's been since the late 80's/early 90's? Cooper the company was sold by Cooper the person to USW.

So, Flathead? You got corp gobblety-gook if that's what you were told. And in fairness? These production facilities have seen changes in ownership so often between and among corp owners that have included Wings and Schott that the same facility filling the same order???? Get my drift?

It's not like G&B who does all their stuff under a simple ownership structure. Even Wested outsources, as did TNO under Tony (though my understanding is he did all our indy jackets on-site under his oversight). Todd has them made as does Magnoli.

Depending on the audience, Sarge will say it one way or another to deliver a message. Two seemingly contradictory statements can actually both be true. Yeah, it's not helpful - but what's the end point?

Was this helpful? Should I shut-up?
Yes, it was actually helpful believe it or not.

I know factories get bought and sold all the time. From what I gather on this forum, and what I have read on the old
Indy Fan Forum, Sarge bought out Cooper, and used the Cooper factory in New Jersey to continue making the Indy
jackets.

I don't ever remember Schott being involved at that time. Perhaps it is now? Does the Schott company now run
the factory in New Jersey?

Flathead
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I remember the jacket. I had the prototype.

No one is questioning what you said, old friend. I totally believe you. :TOH:

What I'm saying is paperwork really doesn't prove much of anything in this case, as Cooper and Wings were co-existing for many years before Neil totally walked away from the business handing Wings the keys. He maintained an office in the Wings building for a while, and you could have spoken to his secretary. I have no idea how long the transistion took place from Cooper to Wings. Since Wings jackets were Schotts, and Cooper's were made elsewhere, that's why Wings couldn't/wouldn't fix your Cooper. They didn't have a hand in it's creation. Neil's people did, so that ball fell in his court.

Schott's name has never appeared on any of the jackets they've made for Wings. They are a subcontractor, and wish to remain so. They sell under their own brand name.

Where the things get disconnected is about the time that the Wings factory was completely flooded. Remember (and probably shows on your jacket label) Wings was originally located in Stow, Ohi?. After the flood that completely wrecked the facility, they built the new Wings facility in Hudson, Ohio, where everything comes from now. Did they actually make any jackets in Stow? I honestly don't know. That would be a good question to ask David. :-k

Yes, Schott is the New Jersey plant.

Here's yet another 'theory', since we're theorizing here.....was the New Jersey plant originally Coopers, and when he turned the business over to Wings, Schott took over the factory? Hummmmm. More to mull over. :-k

The best example I can think of regarding contractors and subcontractor work is Redwing boots. They sell Redwing boot oil under their name brand, and in their bottles. They claim their factory is in Wisconsin. I guess in way that's true. The factory in Wisconsin is Pecards. ;)

Regards! Micahelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

The jackets were all Coopers at that time, just some had "US Wings" labels in them, and some, like mine still had
the "Neil Cooper" labels in them. People started to complain about problems with the lining hanging down too far, and showing
from underneath the back of the jacket. Sarge told us, thru posted e-mails from the moderators of that forum, and this
forum, as it was just getting started, and people were making posts on both forums at the time, that US Wings was severing
its ties with Cooper, and that all the jackets would be made at "our own factory" to help with quality control.
Yep...that's the way I recall it, too, FH...

And it had a US Wings label in it...and the Made in the USA tag, too. wish I still had some pics of it to post up....or that I still had the jacket. I have LONG since passed that one on to another fan here....wish I could remember who ended up with it, too..
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Indydawg wrote:
And it had a US Wings label in it...and the Made in the USA tag, too. wish I still had some pics of it to post up....or that I still had the jacket. I have LONG since passed that one on to another fan here....wish I could remember who ended up with it, too..
Yep, mine has the "Made in the USA" label too.

Also, mine has a small "US Wings" label attached to the side seam of the lining.

So, mine is a Neil Cooper/Us Wings hybrid made in the factory in New Jersey.

Flathead
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sure sounds like it! :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I'd say that's a reasonable deduction.

My Wings label was a FULL label...and it had a really cool rust brown colored cotton drill lining, too..

VERY nice...

VERY "old" A-2-ish..
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I kind of wish they stuck with that type lining. It made the jackets more 'wearable' when it gets warmer. The newer 'slick' linings, though great for over long sleeve shirts and VERY high end, limit the wear time in my part of the world. Above 65 degrees or so, and they go into the closet and another jacket takes their place that has a cotton like lining.

Regards! Michaelson

P. S. a side note, and completely off topic....I NEVER pass up an opportunity to read anything my friend FLATHEAD writes when it comes to topics posted here. He's been around the barn many MANY times, and you can take anything he posts to the bank. It's always a pleasure and previlage to share the same forum with him. :TOH:

Just wanted to post that while I was in the area.

Carry on....
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Same here, M....and it's even warmer where I am...

Hey...really...what DID happen to that Old Cow thread I started all those years ago...I can't find it in the archives OR among the jacket section threads...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

We've had a server crash since you went AWOL, my friend. :cry:

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Ah...well, dang...that's yet another reason why it's so important for us to back up our own work at home, guys and gals...

I will look back through my old hard drive backups at home and see what I can dig up...

But, don't anybody hold their breath...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

In trolling back through YOUR old posts, Dawg, I stumbled across this one from 2004 where FLATHEAD and I explored this very topic, but in a more 'current events' situation. There's some stuff in there that I had completely forgotten. Do you recall the Cooper being referred to as the 'Pioneer' jacket, FLATHEAD? I don't remember that at all! (Oh, Dawg, apparently what we're remembering about the Old Cow discussions took place either at Indyfan, or on the first iteration of COW. FLATHEAD even mentions your photos.)

Lot's of interesting stuff in that thread, including the 2 year old discussion about the production equipment GETTING ruined in the 2002 flood. We were debating the source of their stock even then! :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424&p=112501#p112501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I said in my P.S. above, read through FLATHEAD's stuff. GREAT information, and he's always there! :clap:

Regards! Michaelson
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Michaelson, I appreciate the compliment. It takes one to know one!

I remember the old Indy Fan Forum where a picture that was posted was a HUGE thing. It was not
as easy as it is today. I remember Dawgs jacket like it was yesterday. Those Vintage Cow jackets
had a real old look right out of the box. They didn't look fake “distressed” like some do now. Mine almost
looks like they used some old beat up leather they found to make my jacket. And the brown lining is nice
as you remember.

It is very A-2ish as Dawg says. Very nice.
Michaelson wrote:Since Wings jackets were Schotts, and Cooper's were made elsewhere, that's why Wings couldn't/wouldn't fix your Cooper. They didn't have a hand in it's creation. Neil's people did, so that ball fell in his court.
What is odd to me about the whole “Wings jackets were Schotts” is that how would Sarge have known
my specific jacket was a Cooper made jacket?

I bought mine AFTER Indydawg did, and his was a “US Wings” labeled jacket. So, that means that the
Cooper jackets, if indeed left over from the Cooper factory, were placed into the inventory intermingled
with the “Schott made” jackets. So people pulling the jackets to fill the order would not know the difference
between them unless they looked really carefully. And they wouldn’t care anyway. They are just there
to sell jackets.

Anyway, that begs the question. I never told Sarge what the label in my jacket said. He only knew that I had
bought one of his US Wings Vintage Cow jackets. How did he know mine was a Cooper, and to tell me to
send the jacket back to Cooper if all his jackets at that time were made by Schott? Why didn’t he tell me
to send it to Schott for alterations if that was the company who was making all his Indy jackets?

His exact words to me were, “You have to send it back to the company who makes the jackets for me. That company
is called Neil Cooper”.

There is no way he would have known mine was a Cooper labeled jacket unless he filled my package himself.
And then he would have to remember that one order amongst the thousands of orders he gets every week.

Its just odd to me.

Flathead
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Michaelson wrote:In trolling back through YOUR old posts, Dawg, I stumbled across this one from 2004 where FLATHEAD and I explored this very topic, but in a more 'current events' situation. There's some stuff in there that I had completely forgotten. Do you recall the Cooper being referred to as the 'Pioneer' jacket, FLATHEAD? I don't remember that at all! (Oh, Dawg, apparently what we're remembering about the Old Cow discussions took place either at Indyfan, or on the first iteration of COW. FLATHEAD even mentions your photos.)

Lot's of interesting stuff in that thread, including the 2 year old discussion about the production equipment GETTING ruined in the 2002 flood.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424&p=112501#p112501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I said in my P.S. above, read through FLATHEAD's stuff. GREAT information, and he's always there! :clap:

Regards! Michaelson
I do remember the "Pioneer" jacket.

That is what it was called onthe Neil Cooper website. When Wings stopped selling the Vintage Cow verson
of the Indy jacket, I did a search for "Neil Cooper" and found the site.

I tried to order one, but it said they were "out of stock" and that they would be re-stocked shortly.

That never transpired. I figured it was because Wings bought them out. Now we know it was true.

I always wanted another one of these jackets to just beat the you-know-what out of so I could save the
one I have.

But to be honest, the longer I have this jacket, the better it gets!

Flathead
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. The telling of the history at that particular juncture is still as muddy now as it ever was, as proved in the link I supplied above.

Must be, as we're STILL talking about it 7 years later! :shock: ;)

Nope, never let that jacket go. It's becoming a touch-stone for this particular part of the history of our hobby!

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Comfortable too!

Regards !Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Agreed. The telling of the history at that particular juncture is still as muddy now as it ever was, as proved in the link I supplied above.

Must be, as we're STILL talking about it 7 years later!

Nope, never let that jacket go. It's becoming a touch-stone for this particular part of the history of our hobby!

Regards! Michaelson
I couldn't agree with this one more if I'd said it myself!

I figure the fact that we're still talking about it 7 years later just means it MUST be relevant, too!

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on another one of those Old Cow jackets from back then either. To me it was the ultimate Last Crusade/Temple of Doom hybrid...fit me like a LC jacket, had the right straps and top yoke panel/action pleat depth, but had slightly smaller pockets and the TOD collar down to a T....I even had my first PB custom hat designed to be a LC/TOD hybrid to match....

Then....yeah...I let the jacket go... ](*,) #-o

Ah, well...that ship has CERTAINLY sailed a long time ago....maybe Sarge will run across some leather like that one day and do a re-visit...

Something to hope for!
;)
Indydawg
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well, I actually FOUND some pics of the US Wings Old Cow jacket. They are VERY close-up pictures, as they were shots I was taking of the jacket to send to Peter at the time to show him how the Last Crusade strap configuration needed to be done to be more screen accurate from what he was currently doing. After handling the Wested LC I did recently, I see that Peter apparently took that suggestion....'course it might have been the good time in Athens we had that convinced him, too... ;)

Anyway...to just show off the Old Cow leather that FH, Michaelson, _, and I are talking about....

Regards!
Indydawg
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Michaelson wrote:Re-read my reply above, Dawg. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Well after a long and hard Christmas season I guess I best speak up! Roz Schott and I are not only Business Partners but very close Family Friends! The Schott Family makes all of US Wings Jackets made in the USA and have for over 25 years.. I have also had other business partners and Neil Cooper was one of them up until ten years ago. I owen US Wings Inc. 100 % and have no outside investors! Roz Schott is Simply the Best in the World.. Michaelson and IndyDawg over the years have been very good Friends and As the Owner of US Wings Inc. I have given my word to them that I would do what ever I could to help those members of COW before any others and I will.
2011 will be a hard year in the leather business But I will be there for COW.
Sarge
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Indydawg
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

:TOH: :tup:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Hey, Sarge...while you're here...

What are the odds you've still got one of those "Old Cow" Wings jackets sitting around in a size medium...or even a Large for that matter!?!

Or, heck...even the Old Cow leather!?! That would be a NICE jacket to resurrect!
;)
Indydawg