The raven bar look?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Holt
Craftsman

The raven bar look?

Post by Holt »

I don't read too many opinions about the raven bar jacket.

How many people in here dig the browner Raiders jacket look like in the Raven bar. I myself dig it.

When I see this jacket I just wanna sit in some brown bar drinking some Jack Daniels while wearing my Raven bar jacket if I had one! 8)

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The raven bar look?

Post by Tennessee Smith »

yeah, I'm diggin' the jacket. Always have.

I imagine a nice fire, a whiskey on the rocks and maybe a nice pipe with a good blended tobacco.

mmmm, tastey.... =P~
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Now you guys are speakin' my language!!!!

Where did I put my Knob Creek and my grandpa's old pipe?!?!?!?!

THAT is THE jacket color, my friends...except perhaps with a slightly redder undertone to it....

The grey look is not for me...

Nice shot, Holt!
:TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I know, I got over my grey fase pretty quick. lol :lol: still like it tho.. but the raven bar and well of souls (blackish jacket) are my favorites.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

See, I tend to disagree. Orb had a Nowak that was the vintage Goat... gorgeous jacket. Bar none, the best I've seen to date. It had the grey undercoat and it was perfect... pefect for a pipe and whiskey :lol:

Now, for an LC... sure, the redder the better. But Seeing how I hate that jacket... there you go! ;) :D
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:roll:

Man....now do NOT go knockin' the LC jacket!

Maybe I'm just unable to divorce color symbolism....red=passion....grey=...well, you know.

Ok, that's completely off-topic, sorry...

Still....there ain't no grey in that Raven Bar fight scene jacket!!!!

And something about me from my college days just misses a good bar fight! :whip:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uptown Lounge baby!!!!

:lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

''Road House''

:lol:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

And Washington St. Tavern!!! Such tight quarters :lol:

Ah, memories ;)

Cheers!
Indydawg
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I just watched The Charlie Brown Christmas episode last week for the 30th time...

Lucy deserves that... :lol:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:whip: :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

but yeah, I really dig this look.

Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Seriously...it probably is just the lighting, but it looks to have really nice, red undertones....

That's what I've been after since the first time I ever saw an Indy movie, so it must have been in there somewhere!

And, it's what's sold me on the leather to use for my new "Top Secret" project....

NOT the "Last Crusade" project I've talked about...it's something else...and I think it's gonna be awesome!!!

Ok...but, back to your thread Holt...seriously...I DO see redder undertones in the Raven bar jacket...maybe it's just me...but, I see 'em!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Amber lighting gel perhaps?

But seriously, the only jacket that has the grey look to me is the TOD one. I like the Raiders cut but I prefer the TOD coloring if that makes sense.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well, the scenes at the Flying Wing have greyish undertones...but I think that's just the artificial dusting the jacket took...and the fact that it's broad daylight...

Oh...and the truck chase, too...that one seems darker...almost black..

But I do know what you mean about the TOD jacket, colors...and that is my LEAST favorite jacket...cut and/or color...
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree on the cut but I like the crinkled sleeves and color. The baby handwarmers can go, for sure. :TOH:
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Indydawg wrote:Now you guys are speakin' my language!!!!

Where did I put my Knob Creek and my grandpa's old pipe?!?!?!?!

THAT is THE jacket color, my friends...except perhaps with a slightly redder undertone to it....

The grey look is not for me...

Nice shot, Holt!
BTW I still have the Knob Creek you sent me over ten years ago!!Leave out the smokes and just pass the glass of red wine... Love the jacket and ck out the pockets.. WW11 A-2 100 % have always loved that look Myke will jump off the Bridge if I come out with another Indy-Style!!
Yes Holt I picked up what you were saying!
Sarge
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Yeah, the Raven Bar costume is my favorite of all Indy gear. The hat looks awesome, the jacket looks perfect (I love it zipped half way), and the gloves are cool. I think the color of the jacket is brought on by the warm lighting in that scene.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Ten more years on that bottle, eh? Well....it's only gettin' better, my friend....just hold on to 'er until I can get up there or you can get down here....

The A-2 pocket design is classic and timeless, for sure!

Oh, and tell Myke he might ought to just stay away from bridges ;)

Regards!!!
Indydawg
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Yep. Raven Bar is my fav. as well. The jacket, the hat, the gloves, the swagger and the fight skills. Nothing quite as Indy as Indy taken on a bar full of baddies pretty much by himself, whip in one hand, pistol in the other saying "Let her go!"
:whip:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

When I think of being at once the hero and the scoundrel...that line, spoken through gritted teeth, from behind that gun....

"Let her go."

Yeah...that just about nails it for me, too... :whip:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I`ve also always thought that the jacket was more 'toned' red due to the atmosphere...same thing happens to the hat...the felt ends up looking like it has a heavy reddish tone. The whole room looks it so why wouldnt those items?
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Hey Holt, I know your first love is a darker jacket which tends to be my taste as well. The Raven bar jacket with the lighter color is irresistable to me also though. When I got my Raiders Wested, I chose the dark lamb but the Raven bar seems to be the authentic lamb.
I have been thinking about getting another Raiders in the authentic lamb and maybe even using your specs! I think it would be real cool!
This thread just makes my wheels turn a little faster!! :D
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Gorak wrote:I`ve also always thought that the jacket was more 'toned' red due to the atmosphere...same thing happens to the hat...the felt ends up looking like it has a heavy reddish tone. The whole room looks it so why wouldnt those items?
Your so right about the lighting conditions, which is why we tend to grab the scene look. This is also the reason we end up having a couple of jackets, hats etc.. It is hard to resist because sometimes in that one scene the specific gear looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo coooooooooooooooooooooooooool =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ and we must have it! (all said in a slow creepy zombie voice) :D
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

I like the color of the jacket in this scene! I especially like the fit! It seems that the jacket is at its shortest in the movie, if you will. That's one thing that really resonates with me :). One gentleman asked me while I was at work, "Is that a biker jacket you have on?" I replied, "No, it's an Indy Jacket". I didn't have time to go into any dissertation on the subject, although you know I was chomping at the bit :lol:
Of course, biker jackets have to be short so they don't bunch up in the chest area while yer riding. This is one of the things about the Raiders jacket I really like.
It's also got the bigger collar opening, which is one of my favorite aspects about the Raiders jacket. AND also how the panels spread wide at the chest when halfway zipped. :D
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

The raven bar look?

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

If asked I would have to say that the Raiders jacket needs to be as dark as possible. Having said that, I love the look of the jacket in the Raven bar scenes. It's probably my favorite scene in the movie since the first viewing at age eleven. It had the whip, the gun, full costume and, of course, Marion.

I had rigged a recording back then off of "The Story Of ROTLA" album to be my alarm clock wake up sound. First it was the crack if the whip and then "Let her go!" Then the wild gunfire would begin. I thought it was a pretty awesome way to wake up for school. I don't think my parents loved it as much as did.

I have a Raiders jacket from Tony that appears very similar in color to the Raven scenes. Every time I wear it takes me way back to those days and, of course, that scene.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Love this Thread... and couldn't agree more:
Raven Bar Lighting is THE lighting!
:D :tup:

Makes me kinda' wish someone would start a Thread called
"Slap on Your Wested/U.S.Wings/Magnoli/Nowak/Todd's/G&B/etc Indy Jacket and Head on Down to Your Local Pub (or Similar Gathering Place) that Features a Big Open Fireplace Mixed with Low Lighting and Warm, Orangey Atmospherics and Snap a Few Photos That Really Brings the 'RAVEN BAR' Out of Your Jacket and Post 'Em HERE!"

...'cuz that'd be cool.
8)
(Although, I'll concede that the name of that Thread is a little bit on the wordy side...)
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

The raven bar look?

Post by djd »

Don't Call Me Junior! wrote:If asked I would have to say that the Raiders jacket needs to be as dark as possible. Having said that, I love the look of the jacket in the Raven bar scenes. It's probably my favorite scene in the movie since the first viewing at age eleven. It had the whip, the gun, full costume and, of course, Marion.

I had rigged a recording back then off of "The Story Of ROTLA" album to be my alarm clock wake up sound. First it was the crack if the whip and then "Let her go!" Then the wild gunfire would begin. I thought it was a pretty awesome way to wake up for school. I don't think my parents loved it as much as did.
Love that story! Thanks :)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Indiana Holt wrote:

To me, this is THE color of the Raiders jacket. The bar scene and the scene when he is loading his sandbag outside of the temple, that is the color I see in my mind when I think "Raiders Jacket".

I remember when I received my first Wested, and first pulled it out of the bag. My first thought was "They screwed up and sent me a BLACK jacket!!" :o

It was advertised as "Authentic Brown", but, after seeing other members authentic brown jackets at the summit, I realized mine was actually dark brown. However, I did order it from the clearence section (unpaid custom order), so anything goes ;)