Total votes: 93

IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

POLL: Which Leather

Post by IndyBlues »

This may have already been voted on, but I was curious:
Out of all your Indy jackets, whether it be Wested, Flightsuits, U.S.Wings,
Disney, etc., or if you own one or one hundred, which type of leather is your favorite. You can just vote in the poll above, or vote AND add a reason why you like it the best.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

It depends. I love the feel of lambskin, but it's not that great to wear in winter.

In winter or if I'm going on "adventures", I'd prefer my goatskin. It's durable and has never gave me that uneasy feeling of scratching or ripping the jacket, unlike the lambskin.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I prefer the authentic colour.
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

I love my wested dark brown lamb, but I said I liked the "other". The FS goatskin is great. That's my preference, as far as a durable Indy-jacket goes. I've never had any experience with anything else of wested's...
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

The Poll is going nicely, with 37 votes so far,
Authentic Lamb is in the lead.
There have been 212 people looking at the thread so far,
so c'mon people, "Rock the Vote" :D

Don't worry, you won't be called downtown for jury duty. :P
copper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by copper »

Dark brown lambskin cuz for the reason when it gets roughed up a bitt it gets that aged looked that I like.I have a goat skin thick leather tough as nailes.Becouse I got it after my lamb I keep it in nice condition.As far as my lamb goes it realy needs to be burned or somthing I say that for the reason that it has gone through H,E DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS & back :twisted: .great jacket I still luv it.
As allways were in good health & attitude,Copper.
cyclops
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cyclops »

I have a authentic lamb and a cowhide, and of the two I marginally prefer the cowhide. The colour is only a shade or two darker, but I like the additional weight and robustness of the cowhide.

The pleats lie nicer due to the thicker leather and the jacket can certainly stand up to more abuse. Also I think that the cowhide will age more gracefully than the lamb, the thicker leather is more likely to hold the shape for longer than the lamb.

I got the lamb first and love it dearly - but I also needed a jacket that would get me through the winter here in the UK (cold, wet and miserable) - hence the cowhide.

Cheers
Cyclops
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Has to be cowhide 'cause that's the look they wanted for the Raiders jacket. Although in reality it was lambskin, Indy is supposed to be wearing cowhide.

Just my .02 centavos.
Eiti
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eiti »

What about the differenze between?

Cowhide
Pre-distressed Cowhide
Authentic Goatskin
Dark Brown Goatskin

Im looking forward to order a Tod ! It MUST be a very tought Jacket (german winter and for motorcycle and knapsack tours)
and the Leather should not tear but it should habe a beatutiful distressed
optic. But what would be the right leather kind ?
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I have an authentic lambskin. I wanted the original, so to speak, and I really am not that hard on clothes. I will just let this one distress naturally as I can't really bring myself to take sandpaper to a nice jacket. It may take years, I guess. Besides, it makes a unique jacket to wear out for casual occasions. I do also like the distressed look, so maybe a pre-distressed jacket purchase is in my future.
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

I have a dark brown Lambstouch cowhide Wested, fits perfectly and I love it! Regards, Brett
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Dark Brown Goatskin all the way!!! :D To me, personally, the Dark Brown color looks MORE screen accurate and I like how the Goatskin is DURABLE yet....THIN like in the movies = "screen accuracy".......but, thats just me :wink:

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Corbin
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Corbin »

Well, technically I can't really say that I prefer dark brown goat over the lamb, but that's what I ordered, and for now it's my leather of choice. We'll see in a few more weeks when it gets here whether or not I order another one in lamb. :wink:
Eiti
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eiti »

I own a dark brown (ore authentic?) lamb and a dark brown goat !
I like both but which i prefer i can only say after i weard my goat for a year (because of the distressing) .
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'm waiting for my first Wested, which will be an authentic goatskin. I ordered the goat because from all I've read, it IS as tough as nails and will suit my needs to a "tee." A tea? A "t"? :?
Lord_Clarence
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lord_Clarence »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I ordered the goat because from all I've read, it IS as tough as nails and will suit my needs to a "tee." A tea? A "t"? :?
I've never understood that saying myself! Which "T" is it? What does it really mean?

That said, my intention is to order an authentic goat jacket, for the reasons of color and drape accuracy, and durability in the real world. I may not be able to say "This is the jacket Harrison Ford wore," but I could say, "This is the jacket Indiana Jones would have worn." No way would he have had all of those adventures in lambskin. Some say cowhide... in the desert?

Cordially,
Lord Clarence
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

"Nothing else has come close."

Post by schwammy »

Of all the leathers I've seen, felt, worn, and owned, Wested's authentic lamb is exactly that. I've had other jackets that were tougher, but ever since I was eleven years old, I have wanted the Raiders jacket, and I finally got it. No complaints whatsoever. When I look at it, which is frequently, I quote Indy looking through his transom: "That's it."
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

I love my authentic lamb Wested, but find myself reaching for the authentic goat everytime I go out the door. I love the softness of the lamb but nothing can match the feeling of putting on the goat knowing that it can take the punishment if a little unplanned adventure comes up. With the lamb I find myself babying it whenever I wear it worried I might snag or tear it. Never crosses my mind with the authentic goat, thorns, dirt, poison darts bring it all on. As for screen accurrate; the color I've heard people say the authentic goat is a tad off, but my lamb and goat are identical and the perfect color. Just like Indy's it depends on what light it's in, brown under brighter light and nearly black otherwise.
Lindiana