Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndianaFist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Goat owners! Please speak

Post by IndianaFist »

:D
Yeah, Its me again with another newbie question. I used the search but couldnt really find what I was looking for.
This is for all with a goat coat. If your wested isnt a goat, then please let the real owners speak up. I will be ordering my wested in goat. I have already decided this. But as to what color and what other things I need to take into consideration I look to the many wise members of this forum. Please all reply with your info so I may look at what you all have to say and why. So I can make my decision and join the ranks of the Wested wears of this forum. Thanks again.
cknight
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by cknight »

I'm new here too and interested in the responses.
I've received samples from Wested. The two goat samples were brown and authentic brown. But there wan't much, if any color difference between the two. Is this normal, just the way this batch of brown looked, or is there also a dark brown goat. They were both pretty close to the authentic lamb sample in color.
I've also read about the goat having a grey sheen or turning grey where it wears (I haven't seen it and can't really picture it, but that's what I read here), but that the authentic goat doesn't do this. Does the dark goat have this?
I hope to be ordering a dark goat raiders jacket soon.
Thanks.
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

Well my goat is brand new... can't say regarding wear etc yet.. But it's an amazing fit.. beautiful workmanship. Wested's outdoes themselves once again.

As far as color goes compared to the non-authentic brown even pictures really arn't good enough. I suggest asking in here for someone that owns both for comparison info.

If there is anything specific about it you want to know I'd see what I can do. Pics are on the way currently (matter of having time and finding some space online for em). I certainly have no regrets about payin $ for this goat :twisted:
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

Check out this thread for my review of my Raiders goat jacket.:

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6398

Regards,
Indybill
IndianaFist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaFist »

Thank you indy bill for your response and posted link thread.
indybill wrote:
[The goatskin feels very light, more like a cotton jacket, but is extremely
tough. I wear mine everywhere without giving a thought to the abuse it
will receive. I have yet to see any scrapes, scratches, or wear anywhere
on this jacket. It is very water resistant. I've only used the Pecards jell
dressing on it which doesn't add any water resistance only condiditoning
and mine has withstood some serious rain without any trouble at all. It
is comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. I've worn mine on an 80
degree day with reasonable comfort and recently we had some 16 degree
weather so I tried it in that too. I added an extra layer underneath but
was comfortable for short trips of 30 minutes or less in the 16 degree cold
(even with 30+ mph winds) in the goatskin. I love the dark brown color
and the very tight texture of the goatskin too. It's hard to see in pictures
so if you can get a sample from Peter to look at you understand this part
better.]

I would also like to know if the D rings hold up well with the goat (or did you use a different style fastener for the straps) and did any of you get a zipper in your inside pocket or wish that you had? What would you have ordered differently on your goat. Also I have read about a grey hue to the leather. Have any of you found this to be true. and last What color should I order for a correct Raiders look. Thanks again!

P.S. I know I maybe a Newbie, and you guys have all answered theses questions a million times. But im not going anywhere I already have a MKVII bag, a hat on its way from Austrailia, A pair of wells gloves, Pants and shirt that can pass for Indys, and A pair of Jcrew boots in shipment. I have been making prop relicas for years, and This is now my new thing. Im excited about it all. So all im asking is for some help. Newbies are the lifeblood of many groups and forums. Lets face it. Its one guy who has appeared in 3 films. Sooner or later your all going to be happy with your stuff. You all will have seen and commented on everything that is Indy. Then what? Thats where the Newbies come in and you all get to share your knowledge. Im not asking for the secret of the grail here. Just some questions on a coat.
Thanks
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, since you've aimed your question at 'wested goat owners only', you've kind of limited your resources for others to respond. You're not being ignored. You've set the limits to whom you want to hear from. Using your label, being a 'newbie' has absolutely nothing to do with it. Reset those parameters, and you'll probably get a LOT more input from folks here. Welcome to the group, by the way! :D Regards. Michaelson
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

Hello there,
I own a authentic goat and an authentic lamb skin (like the movie version) Raiders Wested. I gotta say I love the goat, I wear it as often as possible. The color compaired to the lamb I have is spot on exact, only a tad shinier. I love my lamb skin but I tend to abuse my jackets and was worried about tearing it. The goat has been through being dragged across rocks, thorn bushes on hikes, the rain and snow that Illinois has to offer and after a fine coat of Pecards looks like the day I opened the package. I've posted other pics on threads here how the authentic is a dark brown and every photo I've taken in it comes out black looking. So if you are gonna order one and want it to look as screen accurate as is possible for goat, get authentic goat. I have D rings and they work just fine, some of the other members on here came up with the idea of turning the D ring around so it faces the opposite direction around and it solves any problems with the D ring look. I do not have the zipper in the inside pocket, I don't plan on being held upside down anytime soon. It's more accessible for check book, cell etc open I think. Depending on what movie version jacket you are planning on getting there may be little adjustments to make, looking back I might have gotten the buttons on the storm flap LC style, but I don't think it would really make a difference at all. If I can answer any more questions feel free to ask.
Lindiana
Striver
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Striver »

Dear All,

No problems with my goat - I love it! I sometimes read about this "greying" - but have never noticed it on my coat - other than where I have applied too much "conditioner" (not Pecards - but a product available in the UK which Westeds told me was a good product to use). A bit of spit and a rub gets the excess off, when I notice what might be considered a greyish bit.

Regards,

Striver