Whip holder too big

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

spankuh
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Whip holder too big

Post by spankuh »

Several years ago I put together V1 of my Raiders outfit. At the time, I borrowed a very nice, very expensive whip from a friend. Eventually, he wanted it back and I never got around to buying one of my own. Now, with Halloween around the corner, I've been asked to suit up for a party. With no time to spare, I bought a budget, 8ft whip. When I tried on my gun belt tonight, I found that my whip holder is too big to hold this whip very well. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good way to temporarily fix this?

Thanks,

HH
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Whip holder too big

Post by Indiana Jeff »

A strip of velcro wrapped around the whip will hold it in the coil and then you can hang it from your belt with the whip holder. Or do what they did in the movie and use fishing line.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

I was wondering how they did that! I wear my Del Caprio in my belt holder, and I can't get it to stay in place!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Your best bet for functionality and style is a super whip holder by Wade Egan. No velcro involved, the holder wraps around the whip once and holds it firmly in place. I got one this fall and Halloween night I barely knew my whip was with me. After several hours of a party and trick-or-treating it was in the exact same place it was at the start of the night. Tundrarider has a thread where he describes it very well and with photos.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

I concur on Wade's super holder. The whip isn't going anywhere with one of those.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

i like the nonslip whipholder from whipartist.com holds any of my whips nice and tight. Plus the ways its constructed seems to be very secure.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Wade's Super Holder is fantastic. The whip will not slip if you walk, run, or jump. :TOH:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Thanks for the info on this thread - I have been having the same problem with my whip - seems rather heavy and the handle keeps falling below my knees! I have one of Todd's whip holders but after reading this, I will be contacting Wade...
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

One little trick I have found to keep my whip in place is to coil the whip, then wrap the fall around the whip to keep it coiled.
Then, when I put it in the holder, I place the holder between the wrapped fall and the handle.
The fall keeps it coiled and stops the whip from being pulled down by the weight of the handle.

It's not really handy for fast draw action as you have to stop and unwrap the fall. But, how often do you need to whip the gun out of someones hand anyways. :P
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

:lol:
Exactly, unless you're whipping guns out of peoples hands, or needing to swing across treterous terrain, keeping a nicely coiled and stay-put whip should be a top priority for heading out in your gear.
I'm already sold on Wade's super whip holder. Going to be getting one shortly - but using the fall as an additional wrapping tool is actually a very good idea!
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Ok, you talked me into it! :D
Just ordered one of Wades super holders and one of Todd's crackable whips. I was using a cheap knock-off whip from Ebay so I had one in time for Halloween - time to get rid of that for another great product from Todds costumes.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Frosty, welcome to the cracker's club! :tup:

Make sure to get an extra tub of Pecards for your new whip.
She'll be dry as a bone when it shows up.

Slather the todds with a heavy coat of Pecards when it arrives.
Using a blow dryer on low heat can help it soak in faster.
Keep applying the pecards until the whip stops creaking when flexed.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

kwad wrote:Frosty, welcome to the cracker's club! :tup:

Make sure to get an extra tub of Pecards for your new whip.
She'll be dry as a bone when it shows up.

Slather the todds with a heavy coat of Pecards when it arrives.
Using a blow dryer on low heat can help it soak in faster.
Keep applying the pecards until the whip stops creaking when flexed.
Thanks for the tips. I had heard that they arrive rather dry so I'm glad he includes a small sample of Pecards. Does anyone know if leather stores (like Wilsons) or anywhere sell leather conditioner?