Spec help for my TN CS order

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Spec help for my TN CS order

Post by Digger4Glory »

How long should the jackets really be? I know the CS jacket was probably the longest but was there a spec comparason done of the actual jackets? I'm sure there was but my searches have come up empty, unless I just need more coffee...
I have an order in with Riley now which he will start soon for a cs. I'm only 5' 8" so I dont want to go too long. Any sugestions? Currently my order has the front wind flap 23" and the back at 26" which falls below my belt in the front by about an Inch and a half. The back would fall just over the flap pockets.
I want to go with SA of course but want to keep the look proportionate with whom will be wearing this jacket, as it's meant for me and not for someone much taller.
Any quick spec help would greatly be appreciated! [-o< Also regular CS or Dark? Which is correct?
John
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Spec help for my TN CS order

Post by singsingjohnny »

If you want screen accuracy, go lighter. The CS leather was arguably the lightest of all four films.

I prefer darker, regardless of SA. There are so many lighting variations in the films that sometimes the jackets look to be a lighter brown, sometimes dark, almost black.

:TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Why not ask Riley these question? Since Tony made the jacket for the movie and Riley haves all the specs. Let him make it. Don't 2nd guess the specs.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Dark, in my opinion, but that is just a personal preference. I have it, and I like it!

As to the length, 26 would be pretty accurate for a back measurement if you want to emulate what is on screen, although at your height, you may want to go with 25 3/4. I'm 5' 9.5" and my CS is 25" in the back, and it is spot on LC or Raiders length on me, but definitely not CS length. I prefer it shorter, though, as I think it makes for a sharper look.
Last edited by Forrest For the Trees on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

dark, dark, dark.

I cant say it enuff... even though the CS is a lighter jacket then all other indy jackets. it sometimes looks very dark in certain light and man doesn't it look cool?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The dark Crystal Skull leather makes a fine jacket. Jacket length? Tundrarider went shorter and it turned out really well. You can gauge it by using your belt. That is, how much jacket length, either at the belt or below the belt do you prefer? Someone can measure from the bottom of the collar stand to the desired length, without having to use a jacket. Or a current Indy jacket could be used.
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

As far as color goes, when I ordered from Tony, I asked him if he could match a certain photo from the movie. He said, no problem! The jacket is amazing! So thankful to have gotten to talk with him, and to own one of his fine, tough jackets!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

5' 8" and 23" sounds just fine. When you say 1 1/2" below your belt, I'm assume you're not including your belt which is how wide? I say 4" below the top of your pants is perfect.

As someone who has the more prop-accurate "light leather" nothing causes more angst with CS jackets to me than the light leather. If I had the dark, I'd never question it.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

BendingOak wrote:Why not ask Riley these question? Since Tony made the jacket for the movie and Riley haves all the specs. Let him make it. Don't 2nd guess the specs.
Your right of course John, but I know Riley is very busy and I was actually waiting on a reply to some of my questions from him already and did not want to flood his e-mail with some stuff I could pick up here from the COW braintrust.
I do trust my leathersmith just like I trust my hatter! :TOH:
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Baldwyn wrote:5' 8" and 23" sounds just fine. When you say 1 1/2" below your belt, I'm assume you're not including your belt which is how wide? I say 4" below the top of your pants is perfect.

As someone who has the more prop-accurate "light leather" nothing causes more angst with CS jackets to me than the light leather. If I had the dark, I'd never question it.
I think I will be on the money then and that is where it will hang comfortably too!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would say you give him your measurements , not specs. Let him know if you want it distressed and let him go to work.

I would think Riley would want you to ask these question to him so he has all the information himself. Remember I'm trying to help. I always go by " let the jacket maker , make the jacket."
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

BendingOak wrote:I would say you give him your measurements , not specs. Let him know if you want it distressed and let him go to work.

I would think Riley would want you to ask these question to him so he has all the information himself. Remember I'm trying to help. I always go by " let the jacket maker , make the jacket."
Now I know why you strive for crown height... you need it to stuff all your wisdom up under there! :D
Thanks! :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Digger4Glory wrote:
BendingOak wrote:I would say you give him your measurements , not specs. Let him know if you want it distressed and let him go to work.

Now I know why you strive for crown height... you need it to stuff all your wisdom up under there! :D
Thanks! :TOH:

No, no. Just a little common sense. To me it doesn't make sense to give him specs on a jacket that his company made the jacket. Heck, you don't need any specs for a raiders either.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Yep- I agree with John- give Riley your own specs. He can build the jacket to fit your body.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Thanks for your input guys, it really helped! :H:
chagwa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by chagwa »

Digger4Glory,

I bought a Nowak CS in 2008 right after the movie came out, so the jacket is now over 2 years old and aging very well.
I'm also 5' 8" and went with the Ford specs since I wanted to be able to wear a sweater under it in the winter. I only asked Tony to shorten the sleeves to 24". The jacket got caught in the rain and snow a few times and it has shrunk a little bit overtime. Back panel is now measuring 25 1/2 ( down from 26" ) and pit to pit measurements are now 21" (down a full inch from 22). So you might want to take that in consideration. :TOH:
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

chagwa wrote:Digger4Glory,

I bought a Nowak CS in 2008 right after the movie came out, so the jacket is now over 2 years old and aging very well.
I'm also 5' 8" and went with the Ford specs since I wanted to be able to wear a sweater under it in the winter. I only asked Tony to shorten the sleeves to 24". The jacket got caught in the rain and snow a few times and it has shrunk a little bit overtime. Back panel is now measuring 25 1/2 ( down from 26" ) and pit to pit measurements are now 21" (down a full inch from 22). So you might want to take that in consideration. :TOH:
Those are pretty much the measurments I used but I made the back 26 1/2. Where did your sleeve end fall on you before and after the shrinkage?
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Indeed and I have my friend. Riley is a fun guy to talk to, very down to earth. Riley has been extremely helpful about all the details he knows so well. This thread did help in knowing what to ask him for sure though.

I told him just do your thing and make me a CS jacket. I told him I just want it to look like Ford handed me his between takes and the only difference is it fits me.

Thanks for reaching out John, your top shelf! :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Your welcome buddy. That's all I told him
As well and worked out perfect.