How Low?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

How Low?

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Just a question, but how low should the bag hang at the side in order to achieve proper buckle placement? Also, is proper buckle placement at the center of the torso? Please direct me to an existing thread concerning this if need be, but I couldn't find one. I'll post pics later, but I think it is too low on me for screen accuracy.
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: How Low?

Post by Luke Warmwater »

I think the top edge of the bag should ride just at the hem of your jacket, so you can get into it easily. If you take an unattached strap, you can place the buckle on your centerline then attach the strap on the back end of the bag so it hangs perfectly centered.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

What about without the jacket and would it involve having to cut the strap?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Bdgsi11 wrote:What about without the jacket and would it involve having to cut the strap?
Last edited by theinterchange on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've been known to even wear my bag backwards so it hugs my body better. If you note, those bags were made to be worn on the front of the chest for ease of access to the gas mask, so the rings are slightly canted to tilt the bag toward the body, which makes it a little ackward to wear when you are carrying something inside and bag to your side.

Flip it around and the bag itself hangs straight, and no one can access the flap from the outside when you're not looking.

Just saying.....real world and all that.... ;)

As to length, agreed. Carry it where it feels best.

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

SA, just below the jacket hem. Real life, exactly what Randy and M said! :TOH:

Travis
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

SA wise the buckle hits HF's chest between the 3rd and 4th button of his shirt and the top of the bag is right at waist height. Check out theraider.net for screenshots that show the bag placement.

But, I'll echo what others have said, if you're going to actually use the bag, wear it where it feels good to you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:Lol! I've always worn mine with the flap against my body and over the opposite shoulder as Ford. It's how it "works."

And M and I have never discussed it...
Nope. As a matter of fact, that's one of the first times I've even mentioned it. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Bdgsi11 wrote:What about without the jacket and would it involve having to cut the strap?
YES. If you want the buckle to hit between the 3rd and 4th button, and have the bag hit at the waist (or just a bit below) then you may well have to cut the strap length, depending on how tall you are and the length/maker of your strap.

IF you were to only use the slider to adjust the strap length, you could well end up with the buckle by your shoulder

I'm 5'9", and I've had to cut my Todd's straps for my Indy bag (for my other bags that I've swapped to an Indy strap I don't worry about it).
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

Seconded on strap cutting. Especially if you're short. I cut mine. And actually when I was carrying stuff in the bag before I cut the strap, it would irritate my shoulder. It now hangs more SA and doesn't feel like such a burden.

Cut it to suit your height.