Indy Raingear

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indy Raingear

Post by Indiana Blooze »

While hiking in the Smokies a couple weeks ago, I got caught in a sudden DOWNPOUR :o about 2 miles from the trailhead. This wasn't any light downpour either, it turned the trail into a small creek. It was somewhere between a "soaker" and a torrential downpour. Fortunately I had on Indy Raingear, a Schubert Australian Model Hat, and a Wested washed goat jacket.

Being a 100% rabbit fedora, I had applied several waterproofing treatments with the water repellant sold by the Penman Hat Co. The jacket was naked, no Pecards yet. During the hour long hike back to the van, in the rain the whole way, I got soaked. How soaked did I get? :-k I was so wet, the leather sweat on the hat stretched out and the hat, with the added weight of the water, actually rode down to my ears, folding them over. Yeah, Mrs. Blooze thought that was hilarious :lol:

When I got back to the hotel, I popped out the center dent, turned the sweat out, stuck my Todd's hat stand in the hat to keep the sweat from folding back into the hat, and sat the hat upside down to dry. I just hung the jacket up.

The next morning, the felt on the hat was dry, and the sweat was just barely damp, so I recreased the center dent, put the hat on, and off to the mountains I went. The jacket took about 2 days to fully dry. Fortunately I did manage to get some before, during, and after photos of this unintened experiment.
The day before the rain:

Looking for Noah

Several days after the rain

I can't pinpoint any one thing that kept this hat from tapering into something that a gnome would wear. I think a lot of it had to do with what I've learned here over the years. Thanks go out to our vendors:
Steve, for explaining the proper way to dry a wet hat
John, for selling some of the best water repellant
Todd, for selling a lightweight plastic hat stand, that has paid for itself several times over, right side up, and upside down.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Indy Raingear

Post by BendingOak »

The water repelliant is great stuff but I hate to say it. I sold my last bottle today. The person who owns the water repellant that I sell will no longer be selling any. She is shutting down that part of her biz. I'm trying to buy the company for the repellant but I have my doubts it's going to happen.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

BendingOak wrote:The water repelliant is great stuff but I hate to say it. I sold my last bottle today. The person who owns the water repellant that I sell will no longer be selling any. She is shutting down that part of her biz. I'm trying to buy the company for the repellant but I have my doubts it's going to happen.
:shock: #-o
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wow. Great before, during and after pictures. Looks like the fed held up just fine.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Your gear looks still great and it´s wonderful to see gear that gets used in the elements!
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

deleted
Last edited by theinterchange on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Great pictures! It is nice to see gear subjected to the elements. :TOH:

Beaverlid
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Indiana Blooze wrote:...Looking for Noah...
Did you find him?
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Did you find him?
Nope. Upon further research, I discovered that I was a few thousand years and a few thousand miles off. ;)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Indiana Blooze wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Did you find him?
Nope. Upon further research, I discovered that I was a few thousand years and a few thousand miles off. ;)
Last edited by theinterchange on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Indiana Blooze wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Did you find him?
I'm right here! :lol:

Nice pictures! It's great to see gear outdoors. :)

John, can you find another company that can sell you water repellent?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

there is 2 different water repellant that I use. the one I use while making the hat. I can't ship this one so its only used during production of the hat and best stuff out there. The 2nd water repellant I use is the one I sell. that one is safe to ship and easy to use. thats the one I wont be able to get. Im hoping to either buy it from her or to try and locate another company that makes water protection product that I can sell but there's not a lot out there.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

When you say "buy it from her", do you mean the formula and rights so that you can have it made?

LJ
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

From further up this thread.
BendingOak wrote:The water repelliant is great stuff but I hate to say it. I sold my last bottle today. The person who owns the water repellant that I sell will no longer be selling any. She is shutting down that part of her biz. I'm trying to buy the company for the repellant but I have my doubts it's going to happen.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:When you say "buy it from her", do you mean the formula and rights so that you can have it made?

LJ

thats exactly what I'm trying to do.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

You still can't export it though (when and if you get it again)?

Ian
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Cool Thread.
:) :tup:

Thanks for the story AND the photos, Blooze...
I'm VERY happy to see how well that beautiful Schubert of yours is doing.
That's a GREAT looking hat!
:TOH: