A new hat for Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: A new hat for Fedora

Post by fenris »

That last picture makes me wanna touch it... it looks soooooooo nice! =P~
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Got you covered my friend!!!

Here's a close up of the stitching on the sweatband:

The magical flying tie bow ;) :

Lock stitching on the liner:

Finished hat:

Ready to go :) :

Hope you'll enjoy it my friend!

Regards,

Marc
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Wow Marc! Thanks for sharing this with us! That felt looks absolutely STUNNING! I can't wait to hear what Steve has to say when he gets it!
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Man!!! I bet that was hard to send off, it looks just amazing :) It is for Steve though. :)

I hope Steve drops his general rule of 'no head shots' for this one. [-o<

Ian
MurdocXXL
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MurdocXXL »

Congrats Marc...thats a reeeeeaaaaal nice one :P :clap:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

What did I say. Marc isn't human.
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Marc,

It is great to see you make such a piece of art for Fedora. He has given so much to this community and all the while staying level headed with his great success. You appear to follow that same trend. Nobody deserves such a rare and fantastic hat more then Steve Delk. :clap:

Fedora I hope you enjoy this and wear it in good health for many years to come. I am anxious to see the bash you put in it and hopefully we will all get a rare head shot of you wearing it. :TOH:

Beaverlid
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My eyes! This is the fedora by which all others will forever be judged.

High regards,

Indiana Jeff
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

:clap: And now Steve will be on tenterhooks waiting for the package to arrive! I doubt he'll get much work done the day it hits his doorstep - I know I wouldn't.

LJ
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Wondeful job on the hat Marc! It looks amazing! :clap:
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I cant wait to see it bashed, and on Steve's head.
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Indiana Bugs wrote:I cant wait to see it bashed, and on Steve's head.
I agree with this! I really want to see what kind of bash Steve puts in this too!
It's such an awesome looking hat!

Joe
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

WOW. An amazing hat! Thank you Marc for not forgetting about making me this hat. It is indeed a "one of a kind Indy fedora". And I will always treasure this one my friend, and won't take it off my head for at least a month. I generally rotate my hats, but will not do so for quite some time.

I had asked Marc to send this one open crown, and I plan on creasing it CS, as I requested he use that block. But HOW long will I be able to keep from throwing the Raiders creases into it is the BIG question. :lol: I like what the CS block yields when creased to the Raiders look.

As always your work is top knotch, even taking the time to hide the little white bow stitches. I have looked forward to this hat for years, and it looks like I will be seeing it, in hand, here real soon. :clap: And just like my own customers, the wait has been HARD to handle.

I will relent and post pics of this beauty on this ugly mug. This looks like a good thread to do it on, so no need to start a new one. And with the cooler temps here, I may even sport my Tony Novak CS jacket as well. Just got new batteries for the digital so NO EXCUSES! Again, you don't know how much I really do appreciate this my friend.

Thanks for all of the really nice comments, fellow Indy fans! You guys are just great! Regards, Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'm very excited to see you in your new hat and Nowak jacket. Enjoy the hat Steve.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

My dear friend! I've had a bad conscience for round about THREE "you know what" years for not having made that hat for you, but I would NEVER forget the promis I made to you!

I pray that this hat will live up to your expectations and that we'll soon meet with John and all of us will be wearing our AB Legends. Meeting you in person is something I've been dreaming of ever since we befriended ten years ago.

Your friend always,

Marc
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Fedora wrote:...I may even sport my Tony Novak CS jacket as well. Just got new batteries for the digital so NO EXCUSES!
This was (whatever the eyeball version is of) music to my ears! :D

CanNOT wait to see these photos Steve...
THANK YOU in advance for letting us see this gorgeous lid on your noggin! And it could be in the company of no FINER jacket, I'm sure of that!
:)
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Marc wrote:My dear friend! I've had a bad conscience for round about THREE "you know what" years for not having made that hat for you, but I would NEVER forget the promis I made to you!

I pray that this hat will live up to your expectations and that we'll soon meet with John and all of us will be wearing our AB Legends. Meeting you in person is something I've been dreaming of ever since we befriended ten years ago.

Your friend always,

Marc
Now THAT will be the Everest of summits!

LJ :TOH:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Absolutely awesome hat Marc :clap: :clap:
Can't wait to see pics of Steve wearing it.
And really really a nice gift from a friend to another friend. That's waht makes life so amazing!!!! :D
Regards gentlemen,
teko
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

A long time coming, you two. Glad the day has finally arrived.

Looking forward to seeing it on your head, Steve.

Regards !Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:
Marc wrote:My dear friend! I've had a bad conscience for round about THREE "you know what" years for not having made that hat for you, but I would NEVER forget the promis I made to you!

Your friend always,

Marc
Now THAT will be the Everest of summits!

LJ :TOH:

No summit, just the three of us together with a lot of alcohol and cigars.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Your friend always,

Marc

Marc, I am just amazed that you could talk Ricardo into once again making a run of this felt. I knew you would keep your promise if at all possible.

I already know I am pleased with this hat, and it hasn't made it here yet! Your craftmanship is always outstanding, so I know what to expect, but the new experience of feeling and seeng the world's rarest and possibly the most expensive felt is one that I do look forward to. And it is fitting that this be a CS fedora, as that is OUR own hat there, that we put on Indy's head.

As soon as I get the Bogie/Fedora block back, from John's blockmaker, I will reblock that hat you sent me, the one I made for you many years ago. Where does the time go? :shock: I know you wanted the reblock to turn that early hat into the LC Fedora's hat, so you will have an old/new hat kinda sorta coming your way here fairly soon. And by the looks of that hat you sent so long ago, you sure wore the snot out of it!

Guess I need to get a haircut so I can be presentable when I take some pics of this beauty on this old head. :lol: Many thanks! Fedora
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

My guess is that it would be quite hard not to look presentable with that hat on Steve. I mean, just look at it =P~

Great job Marc! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Regards, Geert
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

That hat has a glow to it being put in that box... just like the ark when it was put in that crate!
:lol:
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Thanks for your kind words everyone. Especially Steve and John! You guys are like family to me and you know it!!!

I blocked Penny's and my lid yesterday. Guess what: Since I'm using one size smaller block for me (1/8" smaller) I had to shrink mine more. And Polly doesn't like the cracker ](*,) I've done who knows what to this felt to get it to shrink over the block and I've still got tiny wrinkles in the brim break area. Now, one would think that a little steam would help but ah ah! Thisk suckker GROWS when exposed to steam :shock: I've ALWAYS used oversized raw bodies and it NEVER caused me any problems, but this one... :x The good thing is it'll never taper. It'll rather mushroom out like a pop corn :lol:

I sent some pre-aged roohides and all the other stuff that goes into my sweats to my sweat band maker today, so he can make some AB Legends from them for John and me.

Ok, I'll call it a day looking forward for you to get this lid.

Regards,

Marc
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

What block are you using for your AB Legend Marc? Is it going to be a CS hat like Steves? (or at least until he decides to give it the Raiders crease ;) ).
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Marc wrote:...I had to shrink mine more. And Polly doesn't like the cracker ](*,) I've done who knows what to this felt to get it to shrink over the block and I've still got tiny wrinkles in the brim break area. Now, one would think that a little steam would help but ah ah! Thisk suckker GROWS when exposed to steam...
Just thinking out loud, But how about salking it in ice cold water? Would that make a difference?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Marc wrote:...I had to shrink mine more. And Polly doesn't like the cracker ](*,) I've done who knows what to this felt to get it to shrink over the block and I've still got tiny wrinkles in the brim break area. Now, one would think that a little steam would help but ah ah! Thisk suckker GROWS when exposed to steam...
Just thinking out loud, But how about salking it in ice cold water? Would that make a difference?

I have run into this over the years. From certain felt. I bought a 20 pound Tailor's Iron from ebay and pull that bad boy out in cases like this. I wet the brim, and heat the iron up to as hot as it will go without scorching the felt, or sticking to it, and then place my own weight on top of the iron. It takes some work, but it seems to work most of the time. Generally by the time I iron the brim dry, the wrinkles are gone, pressed flat by me and the heated iron. And the brim stays nice and smooth UNTIL the first good rain. :lol: Once the brim gets a bit wet, the wrinkles once again arise to show themselves. And of course, its time to pull the heavy iron out again! :lol: We could see these wrinkles slightly in some of the Raiders fedoras. So at least, its film accuate Marc!!! :CR: But over time and a few later ironings, the wrinkles will eventually not come back with rain, or water.

Now, the way that I make hats today, generally would not allow these wrinkles to occur. But that is another long story. But I will keep my 20 pound iron around just in case....
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Is it going to be a CS hat like Steves?
You bet Nick :TOH:
That's one of the things I've tried... nothing.
Generally by the time I iron the brim dry, the wrinkles are gone, pressed flat by me and the heated iron.
Oh, the brim is not the problem my friend! I can't get the part ABOVE the brim break (crown) to shrink!!! The opening of the body seems to be a smidgen too big...

Regards,

Marc
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Marc wrote:
Is it going to be a CS hat like Steves?
You bet Nick :TOH:
That's one of the things I've tried... nothing.
Generally by the time I iron the brim dry, the wrinkles are gone, pressed flat by me and the heated iron.
Oh, the brim is not the problem my friend! I can't get the part ABOVE the brim break (crown) to shrink!!! The opening of the body seems to be a smidgen too big...

Regards,

Marc
Ah, I misunderstood you my friend. I use a donut shaped deal, that is the size of the block and hat to be made. Once I place the body onto the donut and insert the block, the right sized opening in the donut, when placed over my steam pot will shrink the opening of the hat down to the right size, although sometimes you have to leave it on the steam pot for much longer than normal. But this may not work with the felt you are using my friend. Not like I can tell you anything new about making hats. I do think we do use different techniques in HOW we block hats though, as my bodies are not as large as the ones you use from Portugal. I would love to just be able to steam the new body and hand pull it down over the block, but that won't work with my own bodies. It takes me a good hour to really block a hat right, with my system, where you probably can block one in just a few minutes. I am still jealous about that!!!! :lol: I can of course get oversized bodies, but the felt is way too thick and heavy on the oversized ones to use in Indy hats. That is one thing I like about your supplier Marc. You can get anything you want, whereas I am limited somewhat, if what I want is OFF their system. Regards. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The hat arrived today! When I get finished with work, I will snap some pics of it on the old head.

Marc, outstanding craftmanship, as I have come to expect, and this mink/beaver blend HAS to be the nicest, finest, and most expensive felt I have ever seen, and touched. The hat is so soft too, which means very comfortable. I will wear this one for at least a month before I can rotate it! :D I may even sleep with it tonight.

I can see what you mean with the smaller diameter fur filling in the very fine beaver fur. It really makes for a super smooth finish, that screams top drawer felt. I also am glad I chose the Henry sweats, and I really am fond of that sort of leather in a hat. My fav to date of all the sweats I have owned over the years. Thanks again! I love it!!! Fedora
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

obligitory...

;0
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Im usually not impatient but

I WANT TO SEE PICTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURES!!!<hehehehe>
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Dang it Steve...just when I thought I was safely lurking about I have to read about this piece of awesomeness!
It goes without saying of course that I can't wait to see pictures of the new lid!Image

p.s. And with the seal now broken, I guess I'm back.

p.p.s. By the way...Steve, Marc, John, one of you is going to have to make me a tiny fedora within the next six months or so. :-
Last edited by Johnny Fedora on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Glad to have you back and posting, Johnny! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Johnny Fedora wrote:p.p.s. By the way...Steve, Marc, John, one of you is going to have to make me a tiny fedora within the next six months or so. :-

Congratulations!!
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Wow!
Thank you Michaelson, and Thanks Mike!
Little Portia or Abner will be our first kid.

Johnny
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Johnny Fedora wrote:Dang it Steve...just when I thought I was safely lurking about I have to read about this piece of awesomeness!
It goes without saying of course that I can't wait to see pictures of the new lid!Image

p.s. And with the seal now broken, I guess I'm back.

p.p.s. By the way...Steve, Marc, John, one of you is going to have to make me a tiny fedora within the next six months or so. :-

Much congrats dude!!! You'll love it!! :D

Ian
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, life will never be the same when you two out the front door of the house to the hospital.

Sleep now. You won't get much in a few months. :lol: :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

JF, congrats buddy.
tapon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tapon »

Manufacturers' very good couple of hats, which it does and which receives
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Sooooo...PICTURES!?!?!?! I'm dieing to see this hat Steve! :whip:

Johnny
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Johnny Fedora wrote:Sooooo...PICTURES!?!?!?! I'm dieing to see this hat Steve! :whip:

Johnny

Stay tuned! I wanted to break it in, and give it time to settle in. Plus, I have to get my daughter over to work my digital cam. I hate holding the camera out from my face and snapping off the pics. :lol:
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

A new hat for Fedora

Post by djd »

Really looking forward to seeing this :)
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Yes it does look like on heck of a hat!!!! Can't wait to see pictures.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I am trying to get up with my daughter so she can take the pics on my day off this week.

By the way, this felt is so SOFT and floppy(which I love) but because of that, it isn't making the best CS hat. I could apply shellac and solve this, but like the hat as it is now. So, it looks like this one is destined to become a Raiders fedora. So odd how the characteristics of felt is so imporant to the final look of any of the Indy hats. You need really soft felt for the Raiders, but for the CS, it just does not seem to work! The soft felt will not maintain the nuances that make for a CS fedora.

Also my friend, Marc, if you read this post...I don't think this is the color that you sent me samples of. Which is no big deal as I like brown, regardless of the undertone, but I think we must have had some confusion in communications, OR Ricardo inadvertedly did not use the same brown, per the two samples you sent me awhile ago. This brown here has alot of red undertone, and the sample I picked for the new Henry, does not have such a degree of red. The Henry was already reddish in untone, and this one is the same, or perhaps even more red. I guess I need to put my Henry and this one side by side to make sure.

This is no way a complaint my friend of the color of this great fedora. I am just pointing out that it isn't the color you sent me as samples. I was trying to get rid of some of the red, when I chose that one color brown, of the two browns you sent me. No big deal, as I said, and I like this color as a variety. But, way too red for Indy 5 if that happens. Thought I better point that out now, instead of later! Fedora
MurdocXXL
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MurdocXXL »

Hey Fedore...any pics made yet? We won't let you out without :TOH: :[
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Not yet on the pics. My daughter is involved in nursing school finals and hasn't had the time to take those pics yet.

Oh, I made a bad mistake on the color of this hat Marc. You got it like I wanted it! WHen I sit it next to the Henry and it looked to be the same color, BUT that hat wasn't the Henry but another older hat that I wear. So, when I did finally place it next to the Henry, oh yeah, quite the difference in the shade of brown, and I love it! Absolutely perfect and a close enough color to use in Indy 5 if they ever make it. This is the color we need my friend.

I have not taken this hat off my head since I got it. Due to the extremely high quality of this felt, it does not settle in as quicky as other hats. Its raining to day so I am gonna wear it to the post office and let the rain help the settling in. I have sit on it, beat on it, and it still pops out looking brand new. Great felt here!! The best I have ever owned. Thanks again my friend, you da man! Regards, Fedora
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Ok Steve, I've been very understanding...but the last update to this was back in November. We need to see this awesome hat!!!
Anyway, hope you had a great Christmas and New Years my friend, now make with the pics! :whip:

Johnny
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I really can't wait to see some pics of this hat on Steve's noggin'! Speaking of Steve.... has anyone heard from him lately? Or even Marc? I was talking with Marc quite regularly and then he seemed to drop off the face of the earth back in November. I am sure he is busy, I just want to make sure he is okay.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

This subject came up yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Steve last logged on Christmas Eve before the shut down, and hasn't been back on line since reopening.

Hopefully he's been able to get a little rest with the site closed, and will check in first chance he gets.

Regards! Michaelson