:rolling:
:whip:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Wings jacket comparison pics

Post by Weston »

Hollowpond wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:funny, I thought there wasnt going to be any difference between the US made and the offshore made jackets.
#-o That is NOT funny, Holt :P I love Wings offerings but all the choices get me as lost as a fart in a whirlwind... #-o
Well, that's really the point of this thread. There are alot of offerings coming out, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all! I know most folks are not going to be able to sample multiple jackets, so I figured the best thing to do was show them, same size, on the same person, side by side. I can't answer for how they are made by which factory, by I can show you what they look like, and I hope it helps.

Weston
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Weston, I know that normally cowhide is tougher than lamb, but, having seen both jackets, which one do you think is tougher? Also, I remember reading (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the cowhide used on these was to be the same cowhide that was used by Tony for his CS jackets, just darkened a shade to look more like Raiders. I am blessed to own a CS, and I know it's terrific leather, but I definitely wouldn't describe it the way you have, so does that mean the leather was cut thinner than the stuff Tony used, or have they just softened it up some, or both? Thanks so much for all you're doing, buddy, to keep all of us informed! We appreciate it! And thanks, Sarge, for the options!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks Sam! I know that this dark cowhide came from the same tannery as the leather used for CS, but I don't know that it is the same leather. Unfortunately, I've never owned a Nowak jacket. It's thin and light, but it does feel like a very durable material. I am still trying to soften up the Striated Lamb. Right now it feels like it came from a rinoceros! Look, these are brand new jackets, and I've put the lamb jacket through the ringer like I never would have before unless I'd owned the jacket for a long time. I don't think I can honestly say which one is tougher. All the Legend jackets I've worn so far feel extremely tough! Not only the leather used, but the construction as well.

Right now, I'd wear the SL while crawling under my 1972 International truck to work on it, but I'd take the other jackets off, if that tells you anything. (It should tell you I was too stupid to wear coveralls!).

Weston
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

Amazing how tough lamb actually can be... thanks for the pics Weston, definitely a big help.
Do you have shots of the backs on those to compare as well that haven't been posted to imageshack yet?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thank you! I'll add pics to this thread in the days to follow, front, back, and so on! I worked over my Striated Lamb jacket with Pecards tonight, and man did that do wonders for the jacket! Understand, I'm not advocating the method I used for all of you buying a Striated Lamb Legend, but I am very pleased with how mine turned out.

Weston
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Weston wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:funny, I thought there wasnt going to be any difference between the US made and the offshore made jackets.
#-o That is NOT funny, Holt :P I love Wings offerings but all the choices get me as lost as a fart in a whirlwind... #-o
Well, that's really the point of this thread. There are alot of offerings coming out, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all! I know most folks are not going to be able to sample multiple jackets, so I figured the best thing to do was show them, same size, on the same person, side by side. I can't answer for how they are made by which factory, by I can show you what they look like, and I hope it helps.

Weston
And you do a great job of it sir! :TOH: A lot of offerings is a good thing. But when you have so much going on my ADHD acts up and I have a hard time following all that is transpiring. I am distracted very easil...SQUIRREL!
Travis
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

:rolling:
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Hey Weston, nice collection of jackets!
The Legend Striated Lamb seems to have a more tapered fit and I'm really digging it! You said you had a 32" waist. If you were a 34" waist would it be too snug? Also I love what you did with it putting in the cold wash! Very cool effect! How much did the arms and waist come up in length with shrinkage? I'm seriously considering on picking this beauty up but I'm only 5' 8" with a 34" waist. I have a motorcycle so I don't mind a little extra length in the arms but not too much. I also dig the snugger fit but don't want it to be too snug either.
Any help you could give me on this would be great! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good question. Having only seen them through these photos myself, I'm hoping they're not as tapered as they seem to appear in these photos.

When it comes to fitting folks that are a little 'thicker' around the middle than the slimmer sized folks, in order to get these to fit around the waist, you'd be forced to size up, and then the shoulders would be too wide. Not good either. :-k

Here's hoping it's just how the photos were shot, rather than actual extreme tapering from shoulder to waist.

Great for a person with a tuned 'physic', but tough for us older folks. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
vfxguy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by vfxguy »

My favorite of these is the Legend Striated Lamb, US made. I keep waffling--G&B Goat or this one! :-k

Can't decide...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wow, you ARE on the horns of a delimma! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Michaelson wrote:Good question. Having only seen them through these photos myself, I'm hoping they're not as tapered as they seem to appear in these photos.

When it comes to fitting folks that are a little 'thicker' around the middle than the slimmer sized folks, in order to get these to fit around the waist, you'd be forced to size up, and then the shoulders would be too wide. Not good either. :-k

Here's hoping it's just how the photos were shot, rather than actual extreme tapering from shoulder to waist.

Regards! Michaelson
I would not be the first to wish US Wings had a custom option but understand how the price would spike. Still I'm hoping for a jacket I can admire in the mirror on me rather than one that hangs in a closet. When your a boy you always want to grow up to be a man of substance. You just don't want all your substance to be around your middle! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

True, but sometimes nature, age, and ones work gets in the way of that particular dream. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Michaelson wrote:True, but sometimes nature, age, and ones work gets in the way of that particular dream. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Truer words were never spoken, my friend! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Unfortunately, I'm LIVING that alternative dream now! :( :roll:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Yes, but it is just a chapter your in now. I too had put weight on due to the same reasons. I was getting quite robust! :roll:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Digger4Glory wrote:Hey Weston, nice collection of jackets!
The Legend Striated Lamb seems to have a more tapered fit and I'm really digging it! You said you had a 32" waist. If you were a 34" waist would it be too snug? Also I love what you did with it putting in the cold wash! Very cool effect! How much did the arms and waist come up in length with shrinkage? I'm seriously considering on picking this beauty up but I'm only 5' 8" with a 34" waist. I have a motorcycle so I don't mind a little extra length in the arms but not too much. I also dig the snugger fit but don't want it to be too snug either.
Any help you could give me on this would be great! :TOH:
Michaelson wrote:Good question. Having only seen them through these photos myself, I'm hoping they're not as tapered as they seem to appear in these photos.

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks Digger. I think I lost about 1/2" in length, but the jacket is still relaxing, so it might not stay lost. This leather has alot of give to it, so you can stretch it back out rather easily. It will also easily fit a guy with a 34" waist. I do have the straps snugged up tight, and in the back shot of the dark cowhide jacket it is also zipped up. The straps are long and there is enough jacket there to accomodate bigger guys than me. The back panel does have an obvious taper. I'll take some pics with the straps let out a bit and you can see if that makes a difference.

Weston
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

The SL's back panel seems to have a less noticeable taper. Yes?

Travis
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

You know, I was just going to compare the two, but my wife headed out the door wearing the dark cowhide jacket. Honestly I think they are the same. I'll check it out when she gets back.

Weston
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Thanks Weston! that really helps and I will keep an eye out for those pics!
John :TOH:
vfxguy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by vfxguy »

Michaelson wrote:Wow, you ARE on the horns of a delimma! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Dilemma over--bought the Legend Striated Lamb, US. Whew--it was touch and go there for a minute... ;)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

WESTON- What is length of the side vent openings on the SL? When ever I see an inside view of the jacket, they seem small and I am pretty sure that when Indy is climbing the hill to the Temple entrance, that the side vents look pretty high up. If you have the time to measure...that is the only concern I have as I think that the high side vents really give the jacket a different look from everything else out there. Thanks-
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I have been thinking, dangerous I know, the Legned doesn't have gussets in the pits do they? If not, do you miss any freedom of movement? I know that it is something that everybody talks about in the G&B's is the gussets and the action pleats built into the liner. Just wondering if they are missed or not? Weston, all of your jackets look amazing!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks whipcracker. No, there are no gussets under the arms, but that does not impede the freedom of movement at all. The action back and high yoke work beautifully.

Gorak, I don't have a measurement for you, but the vent is well below the strap, by over an inch.

Weston
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Thank you sir. That`s what it looks like from the inside pics although the jacket looks fantastic, especially after the wash, and you really can`t tell what the vent depth is in the normal pics. great looking jacket..I`m on the list for the SL. Can`t wait now!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I've added the Legend Dark Cowhide US Made to the album, so take a look. Working on this project has given me a new appreciation for the variance in the details of the film jackets. You will notice slight differences in these as well. The pocket flaps have a slightly different shape each time, and on this one, the pockets are not as close to the zipper. Same pattern; they aren't making a new pattern every time, and the same maker, but minor differences that make each one unique. Key details such as the seam alignment, yoke, strap placement, and fit are the same.

Weston
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

When you gonna post pics of that SL since it's been Pecarded? :TOH:

Travis
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Later today. Stay tuned!

Weston
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:whip: Get on it!!! :TOH:

Travis
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Weston,

Didn't you say before there were some small details between the import and the U.S. made that you liked better in one or the other...?

I thought you said something about preferring the slider on the import and the import lining... :-k

Would it be possible to take some shots of those things? [-o<

Look what you've got yourself into dealing with all us nerdy folks... details details details 8-[]
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Sure Raiderbash, I've got pictures of all that stuff, but I'm going to have to dig them up and do some cropping. I'll try and have them up tomorrow.

Weston
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

:-k Was looking at the pics of both import and US AC Legend. It's getting a bit harder for me to make a decision, since the fit on the US looks trimmer (for my size anyway) and a few details I like which Weston told me about such as the size of collar being slightly smaller and the colours on the US. On the other hand, I prefer the style of the pocket flap as well as the pocket distance from the zipper on the import (not to mention the idea of a 30 year old lether that Sarge said is used on the import). The pockets on the US AC Legend looks a bit more distant away from the zippers.....

The details....it's the details that's making an OC like me nuts in deciding which one to order :[

This is off-topic but I guess I'm looking for a Raiders style jacket that will stand the rough use out in the field when I'm shooting. (I wore the AC Hero on a field trip lately, had it soaked through 3 torrential tropical storms, then days of sweltering heat, etc, it's amazing how ell the jacket holds up. Will post pics of it in the proper thread to see the really distressed mode its in now.)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I wouldn't really say that's off topic damieneo. All of the leathers that I have handled so far for the Legend jackets will stand up to heavy use. This dark cowhide I think would be a better choice for a hot climate like yours, but if you already like the AC in the Hero jacket, you should be pleased with the Imported Legend. The antique dark cowhide is going to age faster than the others. The surface scuffs and scratches very easily so it won't take long.

As to going OC over the details, man, do yourself a favor and accept that every jacket will be unique, and that is part of the beauty. Overall, they are the same, but a hand made jacket is going to be different every time, so don't stress out over it. The import is a great jacket as well, and you would not go wrong with it. Let the minor details be their own trademark, fingerprint, signifying your ownership.

Weston
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Hey, Weston! Which would you say is darker in person, the SL or the American cow? Thanks!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

The SL is much darker than the cowhide. You can look at the album above and see the contrast. The SL heads towards black, and the cowhide is more of a mocha color.

Weston
Clutters
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Clutters »

Hey Weston, thanks for the pics. Quick question: is the size of all these jackets you're wearing a Large? I'm 6 foot 1 inch and a 41 inch chest, 34 inch waist, so I'm thinking a Large would do it, but perhaps Large and Long for the extra sleeves? (I would be taking the beer/cold machine wash option on a SL)
cheers
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I'll answer until weston comes by here later and confirms. its pretty early now where he lives.

yes, they are Large
Clutters
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Clutters »

Indiana Holt wrote:I'll answer until weston comes by here later and confirms. its pretty early now where he lives.

yes, they are Large
Holt - stop raising the service standards on this board! ( ;) thanks)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Yes, all my Wings jackets are size Large. In another thread Sarge said members would be contacted starting Dec. 1 about their orders, so everyone should get a chance to work out the sizing details. :TOH:

Weston
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Weston

is this your striated lamb legend after the cold bath?
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5571/dsc03192p.jpg
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Yes, that was immediately after, and very very wet.

Weston
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Weston wrote:I took some pics of my Wings jackets today. It should give a good basis for comparison, as all the jackets are the same size, and for that matter, so am I. Questions are welcome.

http://img72.imageshack.us/g/dsc0313id.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Left to right, the jackets are:
Signature Series Goatskin Adventurer
Legend Striated Lamb, US made
Legend Antique (naked) Cowhide, imported
Hero Lightweight New Zealand Lambskin
Hero Naked Cowhide
Legend Antiqued Cowhide (dark) US made

Weston
Sadly, I can't seem to get the last 2 pics to enlarge.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Many of my jackets are USW, so I'll throw my latest set in here for viewing. None of these jackets are "Legend" types, but are all front & back shots, on me, all size XXL.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N ... 446856743/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;