New guy...and new U.S. Wings Jacket...Questions about fit

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

jbunting
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

New guy...and new U.S. Wings Jacket...Questions about fit

Post by jbunting »

Hi guys, I just received my first significant "Indy" purchase. It's a U.S. Wings Collectors Edition Vintage Cowhide, size Large. Since this is my first one I wanted to see what you guys thought of the fit. The sleeves are way too long and the collar kind of sticks up too high (I think because it's new). Overall I think it fits with plenty of room without being too baggy. I'm 5' 7" and 178 lbs. One worry I have is that I'm planning on getting back on track with my exercise program and dropping 15-20 lbs. If that goes well, I don't want the jacket to look huge on me. Sarge's size chart lists the Large weight range as 155-175 or thereabouts. Anyway, I'm just afraid to cut the tag off and make it official until I get some advice from more experienced members. I'm not going for screen accuracy but I also don't want it to look like just another leather jacket. Sorry for the less than exciting pics, I just used the self timer and the bathroom mirror so I could see what the camera was seeing. Thanks for any help you can give!

http://jbunting.smugmug.com/Other/Jacket/

Josh
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: New guy...and new U.S. Wings Jacket...Questions about fi

Post by Hollowpond »

Welcome! I think the fit is great. VERY Crystal Skull. :TOH:

Travis
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

First, welcome!

Second, the CE looks great on you!

Third, the thing you need to really be concerned about with sizing is the body of the jacket. If you go any smaller, you'll be going into a more tapered fit through the body. Exactly how much weight you intend to lose, and presumably, keep off, will determine whether or not you'd be able to wear a medium.

I am 5'10"-5'11", 150 lbs at my heaviest in the winter when I'm running/cycling less and lifting weights more....I wear a medium in the Wings jackets, but I've got a 40" chest, a 30" waist...and the jackets fit me well.

Personally, I think the jacket you've got fits you well. The sleeves will likely "ride up" with time, too, as you get wrinkles in them, and the jacket molds to your body shape. I'm just afraid that the weight you're talking about losing won't be enough to make a medium fit you right NOW...and you want to enjoy this bad boy, 'cause it does look good!

That's my .02, for what it's worth!

Regards!
Indydawg
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Everyone has different ideas about how a jacket is "supposed" to fit.
I think that your Large already looks too big, and a Medium would look a lot better on you.
If you lose 15 lbs or so, that Large is going to look even bigger.

US Wings sizes tend to run toward the upper end of the range, so a L is more like 44 than 42, and a M is more like 40 than 38.
An M would have slightly narrower shoulders, so less "droop" over the edge of your shoulders, and also shorter sleeves, so cuffs would end up above your knuckles instead of below them.

According to the US Wings size chart, the difference in shoulder width would be one inch total (one-half inch per side), and the difference in sleeve length would be 3/4 inch, so cuffs would be a little higher on the backs of your hands, near the first knuckle of your thumb (the "ideal" length).

My Medium VIP jacket is cut to the same pattern, just uses different leather. I'm 5' 10", and weigh 175 or so.
Here are some photos of my Medium on me, IMHO a perfect fit. I would not want a Large.

Last edited by ron521 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rick Deckard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rick Deckard »

Well, I'm no expert, but I think the fit is fine. Google Harrison Ford in the CS jacket, and you'll see how big that jacket is on him. The Collector's Edition is patterned after that jacket, so you should expect a more generous fit.

The shoulders look good and the overall length looks good, too. The arms may be a bit long, but they'll shorten a bit as you wear it. The arms are also a tad baggy looking, but that seems to be common with US Wings jackets, so I don't think a size down will help you there. You can keep or even improve the fit in the shoulders if you add some strength training in with your exercise routine, build up those deltoids a bit. I'm a big fan of strength training, and it's esp. important for men as they get into their 30's as that is when guys begin to lose muscle mass. Also, muscle tissue burns up to 15 X more fat per day than fat tissue even when you're not doing anything, so cardio alone is not enough.

Beyond the exercise advice, which you probably didn't want :lol: , the collar is simply a matter of shaping it. I like to flatten mine out with a finger stuck underneath the top of the collar while I'm shaping it. It creates a roll in the collar that some call the Raider's roll and I think looks nicer than just a flat collar.

Very nice looking jacket, btw.

Edited to add image to show shoulder and sleeve length
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

I think your good! stick with the large and it will fit perfect over time.

SB
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Greetings! You don't show any pics w/jacket zipped so any fit advice will be necessarily compromised. That being said, I agree with Ron, and my measurements are similar to yours and I have two USWings in Medium and wear a 42 or a 44short suit jacket. Like Ron said, the biggest difference will be in the body of the jacket, and depending how much layering you plan to do (sweatshirts/sweaters) the Large may be best or a Medium for a snugger fit. But regardless, welcome to the insanity!
Rick Deckard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rick Deckard »

Just wanted to add that ultimately what is important is the look you're going for. If you want more of a CS look, then I think you're fine. If you want it to be more fitted, call US Wings and explain your fit dilemma to them. What they'll probably tell you to do is order a medium and then return the one that you don't like. You may incur more shipping charges that way, but you'll also remove all doubt by knowing that you've got the best fit for you.

Also, just one more pic. to show how the CS jacket fit. Again, it's all really in the type of fit you want.

lc_fan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lc_fan »

Hi guys. I ordered the "antique cowhide hero-jacket", size M... could you tell me, according to my measurements, if YOU think that its right?

height: 5.77 foot

weight: around 154-155 lbs

sleeve (total size of one arm; begins with end of shoulders, ends with the first ankle of my thumb): 24.4 inches
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I think it's a bit big for you - but then I think Harrisons jacket looks too big for him in CS... Personal taste and what YOU'RE happy with. You'll know inside :)
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

Jbunting, how long did you wait for your collector's edition jacket? Ordered mine (size M) beginning of August and still didn't receive it...

Thanks,
TFG
Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I agree with Ron in that I think it looks a little big on you - nothing outrageous, but I think a Medium would fit you better. If you are planning on losing weight, it's definitely going to be too big.

Rick's advice is good - try to see if you can get USW to send you a Medium, then you can return the one you like the least.
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Hello and welcome :TOH:
I also think the jacket looks a bit big on you. If you are planning on losing weight I would return it for a smaller size. JMO.
jbunting
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jbunting »

Thanks for all the replies and the help. I think I'll try a medium. I would probably be happy with the large, but if I never try a medium I'll always wonder if that would have been a better fit. And TFG, I ordered the jacket on July 6th. I sent them a couple of e-mails and they were pretty good about replying quickly and giving me an update on when they expected it to ship. I last heard from them on Oct. 1 saying it was still in production and then on Oct. 26 I received a UPS tracking number.

Josh
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

You can get away with that jacket but it doesn' look great. I personally would never compare my jacket with Mr Ford's in the movie CS as that jacket looks awful (to my eyes) it fits poorly.
Last edited by CM on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

My two cents..that jackets looks great on you. Consider that, if you lose weight later but wear it consistantly, it may shrink and mold with you. :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I like it. I love the way the backpanel is on your jacket.

jsut let it old to your body and you'll be fine.
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

lc_fan wrote:Hi guys. I ordered the "antique cowhide hero-jacket", size M... could you tell me, according to my measurements, if YOU think that its right?

height: 5.77 foot

weight: around 154-155 lbs

sleeve (total size of one arm; begins with end of shoulders, ends with the first ankle of my thumb): 24.4 inches
How well an M works for you depends somewhat on how you like the jacket to fit, and how wide the shoulders are on a jacket which fits you well.
Based on your stated weight, I would guess that the M will not by any means be too small for you.
What size do you normally wear? 38? 40? Some other size?
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

If you have the cash available, you might just buy a Medium, then compare them both at home. When you're done, send one back.
lc_fan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lc_fan »

How well an M works for you depends somewhat on how you like the jacket to fit, and how wide the shoulders are on a jacket which fits you well.
Based on your stated weight, I would guess that the M will not by any means be too small for you.
What size do you normally wear? 38? 40? Some other size?
Normally a size 40 isn't too big. I already have a wested Raiders Jacket and it's a size 40 modell. My todds costume is size M (it's a bit smaller than the wested jacket).

To give more details, the wested's length of the shoulder seam is 6.65 inches. (fits me well).

Does anyone have the shoulder-length of the US-wings size M modell? (But, the "M "is ordered anyway, because someone from US-Wings told me so before ordering.)
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

My US Wings M is 6.75 inches from the base of the collar out to the very edge of the shoulder, where the sleeve joins.

Let us know how it works out, and post some photos!