another todds jacket care question

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

BenBrim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

another todds jacket care question

Post by BenBrim »

( I found a post where someone had the same problem, so I know its normal, but still) I tried the wetting the jacket trick that I've seen posted here and there, but I am concerned now that the leather seems stiff and rough.

Three questions:Will it revert back after enough wear? Do I need to treat the leather? I have a unrulely wrinkle in the back panel, can I or will it work it out?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: another todds jacket care question

Post by Weston »

It will soften up with wear. You will likely find that after it dries the leather will feel a bit thicker. That is because the grain contracts. As to the wrinkles, anything like that can be undone by re-wetting the jacket in that area and smoohing it out. My Todd's jacket has been soaked many times over, dried out just fine, and the wrinkles are awesome!

Weston
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

If you stretch it, the softness will return.

Hold a piece of the leather between your hands, about six inches or less, and gently but firmly start pulling/stretching...work it like this a little and you'll think it was a miracle.

Todd himself showed me that. :TOH:
BenBrim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by BenBrim »

Thanks Weston and Raiders! You put my mind at ease.

Weston, I've noticed some of your other posts around here. I have to say, you make every jacket you wear look the best. I'm jealous
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

You can also zip the jacket and put it into the dryer. All of the tumbling will loosen up the leather. In essence, anything you can do to "work" the leather will cause it to soften up.