Show off your YIJ fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Show off your YIJ fedora

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Well I have not seen a thread to show off the YIJ fedoras some of you have so I thought well I will start one so here. Now show the YIJ's.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Show off your YIJ fedora

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, I did a search and found over 4 pages of related threads of folks showing off their YIJC fedoras. ;)

This is a good one from 2007 to compare your creations to that has a lot of good screen grabs and examples members had at the time.

viewtopic.php?t=21345&highlight=

What's new out there?

Regards! Michaelson
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Michaelson, I am glad that you posted the link to the YIJ thread. I had a very poor opinion of the YIJ fedora. I have recently watched season three and the hat always looked very tapered. The crown height looked like it was very short and overall I thought it was a poor representation of the fedora we saw in the films. This picture I found in that thread changes my mind completely. While the hat did not always appear this way in all three seasons, it apparently did in some of the episodes. Thanks for the reminder.

Beaverlid
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Go a bit deeper and you'll find a link to another discussion in that old 2007 thread with photo links to OTHER members hats from 2006!

Lots of layers in this search engine. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Mmh, somehow I get the feeling that the YIJ fedora is slowly getting more popular :tup:

Here is mine after a little bit of wear and with a 2" wide ribbon that I´ve added after I got it.

That´s what it looks like now, I guess after another year it will look SA to the third season ;)

Here is the link to my original post shortly after I got it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37052

And here is a very nice one made by Fedora:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45633
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Steve keeps threatening to make one for himself, but that has yet to be seen. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Tremolo,

I agree with you that the YIJ fedora is getting more popular. If people keep releasing images like these more and more people like myself will see the better side of the fedora in the television show. I stand by my opinion of the fedora in some of the appearances during the run of the show. The fedora just did not look good. Very tapered with a short crown and it often looked like it didn't fit SPF. Your Young Indy fedora is a beauty. It suits you. :TOH:

Beaverlid
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

I went back and looked at the thread when you got the fedora and it has aged really well. Have you had to reblock it? Or is it a light duty hat. In other words have you had to baby it and keep it out of the bad elements such as heat, rain, snow, etc ...
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Thanks beaverlid!

I guess you mean the look the hat had during the third season, it´s even worse in the later filmed extras. But the hat really shines during the first and second seasons.

No, it wasn´t reblocked and I´ve never babied it. I´ve worn it through all elements. Of course compared to better made fedoras it wasn´t as durable (for example my Henry still looks like without babying it) but that way the hat kinda "morphed" through all stages of Young Indy screen accurateness like the real screen used hats and will probably end up looking like the one in the third season. It´s definitely screen accurate in terms of tapering.
So durability is a good/bad thing for me with this hat, if you know what I mean ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

IT's funny this thread popped up when it did. This is one of the next hats that i will be working on for an offering. Wanted to have all 7 hat offerings. This is the last of the 7 for me.
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

BendingOak wrote:IT's funny this thread popped up when it did. This is one of the next hats that i will be working on for an offering. Wanted to have all 7 hat offerings. This is the last of the 7 for me.
Can´t wait to see it!
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

I would like to see it as well. Oak are you going to use the wider ribbon? I am assuming the special ribbon you use on the other indy hats is not available in the proper width.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

I'm looking forward to seeing it too! :)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Yeah, that's my favorite... I can't wait to see it either.

:TOH:
-TS
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

beaverlid wrote:I would like to see it as well. Oak are you going to use the wider ribbon? I am assuming the special ribbon you use on the other indy hats is not available in the proper width.

Never assume my friend. I have the "ribbon" in the right size for this hat. \:D/
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Excellent! :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

COME now, beaverlid, you didn't honestly think John would make this hat and NOT have the right ribbon, now did you? :shock:

:lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Michaelson wrote:COME now, beaverlid, you didn't honestly think John would make this hat and NOT have the right ribbon, now did you? :shock:

:lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
I have brought shame upon myself! :oops: I should never have doubted. :P

Actually I was curious if he had that ribbon in the special type that only Adventurebilt and Penman hats have.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It's the same ribbon just in a different height. ;) You had doubt, shame on you. Go to the back of the class. :lol: ok, all joking aside. I have been waiting to get the ribbon in in this size before attempting the YIL hat.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

This is awesome news John!

Gerry
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Whenever someone talks or shows off their YIJC fedora, its always the large brim on that dwarfs Sean Patricks head.

I never see the style hat that he wears towards the end of the series.....the one from Hollywood follies, Peacocks eye, etc. It seems to have a lower crown that's almost a C dent.....and the brim is very...square? not too sure. I actually enjoy that one alot, even though it seems remarkably different then the actual Indy hat, which SPF starts off with.

Does anyone have one of those? Or even know which one I'm talking about? lol
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

:CR: did some one say "YIJ fedora"?

:D

posted this pic on a thread before about the YIJ hat, but chuck's, here it is again. My hat, inspired by the YIJ hat( the one from the "london 1916" episode):

regards

CJ
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Great hat Chilieana! btw, do you know you have a great Orlando Bloom look?

But again, thats the hat from the earlier eps where they were still trying to maintain design continuity with Indy's hat, later on towards the end of the season SPF's hat took on a different look that wasn't the tall center dent but a shorter almost C dent with different size brim. Does no on like that one? lol,
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I was hoping to have photos of a YIJ hat made for a customer but at the last minute he changed his mind to a TOD hat. I will have to make one for myself to have photos taken. That could take some time because I don't get much free time much right now.

Where is the icon for when you pass out from being over worked? #-o

Where is the Penman hat maker hard at work icon? #-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

How about a Penman customer forcing the hatmaker back to his bench?

:whip:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:How about a Penman customer forcing the hatmaker back to his bench?

:whip:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
That sounds great. :D
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

backstagejack wrote:Whenever someone talks or shows off their YIJC fedora, its always the large brim on that dwarfs Sean Patricks head.

I never see the style hat that he wears towards the end of the series.....the one from Hollywood follies, Peacocks eye, etc. It seems to have a lower crown that's almost a C dent.....and the brim is very...square? not too sure. I actually enjoy that one alot, even though it seems remarkably different then the actual Indy hat, which SPF starts off with.

Does anyone have one of those? Or even know which one I'm talking about? lol
Is this what you're talking about?

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

YES!!! That's the one. I never see anyone wanting that one, and I felt it was an interesting hat. Everyone watns the one from early on in the series.

One day, I might get one.....
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

my old miller looks something like that now

CJ
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

my Christie´s posted earlier here too.. :-k
I think it works in that episode but to me it is one of the less desirable YIJ fedoras.